Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clogged Pores

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am in need of help! I think that approximately every pore on my forehead is clogged, and it has been this way since the beginning of the school year. (I think it might be stress-related.)

Up until now, I had had almost perfectly clear skin with the occasional small zit, until seemingly all of a sudden my entire forehead was covered with small bumps- most of them are not whiteheads or blackheads, they are just bumps. (They do pop, kind of, however. I have heard it referred to as "silly string," which seems like an accurate description).

I've tried so many different products over the past 5 months, and it hasn't changed much one way or the other.

Initially, I was only washing my face once a day and then using spot treatment all over my t-zone. Once I started breaking out more, I went to an esthetician, who really didn't do much, and sold me a natural face wash that I used for about two weeks, which did nothing. At this point I started washing my face twice a day.

Then I went back to my original face wash, with a new spot treatment from my dermatologist: Clindamycin Benzoyl Peroxide gel. This cleared up the red acne but did nothing for my clogged pores. I tried using a scrub from the health food store for a few weeks, then went back to my original face wash...clogged pores were still there. I began using Oxy Salicylic Acid face wash for a while, and saw my dermatologist again who put me on differin at night and the clindamycin during the day. I was still using the oxy face wash. I stuck with this for two months, but saw absolutely no change and my skin was burning and dry from it, so I stopped and went back to the routine that I had used all last year. (my original face wash and spot treatment). I still have not seen a change in the past few weeks, and I don't know what to do!

Does anyone who has gone through the same thing have a "holy grail" product suggestion?

If you have the same issue as me, please reply!

I just don't know what to do next and my skin is causing so many confidence problems for me.

Thank you!

Although it seems counter-intuitive, trying only washing with water; it's one of the few things that has ever made a big difference to my skin. I'm not really sure why it helps but I find my skin becomes less oily & much smoother. Since you say you've tried tons of products, it might be worth a try!

Topical antibiotics won't do much for your kind of acne since it sounds non-inflammatory & if you find that benzoyl peroxide also doesn't work, maybe ask your derm for a more powerful retinoid (Tazorac or Retin-A). They are like Differin but actually do something, but they are pretty harsh to the skin so need to be used sparingly.

Although it seems counter-intuitive, trying only washing with water; it's one of the few things that has ever made a big difference to my skin. I'm not really sure why it helps but I find my skin becomes less oily & much smoother. Since you say you've tried tons of products, it might be worth a try!

Topical antibiotics won't do much for your kind of acne since it sounds non-inflammatory & if you find that benzoyl peroxide also doesn't work, maybe ask your derm for a more powerful retinoid (Tazorac or Retin-A). They are like Differin but actually do something, but they are pretty harsh to the skin so need to be used sparingly.

Thanks for the tip- I've heard that using only water works but was always kind of scared of it. Do you wash with water once a day, and do you just use tap water?

Try some AHA. The stuff from this site is actually rather good.

Currently clear of acne with the occasional hormonal breakout. Check out my routines and progress updates here:
http://www.acne.org/...g-and-duac-gel/

Treat yourself as you treat others.