accutane initial breakout

97 replies to this topic

#61 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

I know the slow progress must be frustrating for you and your son.  Hopefully things will look better soon! 

Since starting the isotretenoin, my son has had several complaints that he normally does not have.  The dosgae was reduced after the first two weeks from 70 mg to 40 mg per day, but he has continued to have back pain, knee pain, tightening in his chest, and then last night he woke up with a nose bleed.  He is convinced that all of these things are from the medicine and I have to say that I feel he may be correct.  He said that he may want to stop taking it.  We go back to the derm in the morning to have his blood work done after his first month of treatment.  

So far, his acne has not shown much improvement, maybe a little, but I do feel like it will improve if the treatment continues.  

Right now, I feel like stopping the treatment might be the best decision for my son because he just seems worried about these ailments and so am I. As I said before, my daughter has completed two courses of treatment with no problems.  But it may not be right for everyone, so tomorrow we will decide what to do from here.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to the isotretenoin treatment that are somewhat effective? 

Hi Mom Too, the side effects your son is feeling is def from the accutane. Try having the derm lower him to 20 mg a day, before you decide to stop. FYI Nosebleeds are pretty common though and is caused by the accutane drying the body out. My son puts a little vaseline in his nose at night and drinks a ton of water and no more nosebleeds. Before you do anyt hing have your son drink more waters. Drinking water is very important and also helps with the joint pain. I could tell if he wasnt drinking enough because I could tell his back was sore when he would get up from lying down or sitting in one position too long. he sprained his wrist a few weeks back and still has to wear a wrist wrap. The dr told him that yes this is all a part of the accutane and would clear up as soon as he finished treatment.

if you are still determined to stop the accutane there is another alternative. I draw a blank now on the name of the treatment (maybe someone here can chime in) but I believe it has to do with applying vitamin A to the face and using a light therapy. I will research it some more and post it.

It's good your son is breaking out bad....the worse the better imo......I went to Rush Dermatology in Chicago (one of the best in IL) and my derm said I was the 2nd worst patient he's ever had out of hundreds (embarrassing yea)......During my Accutane duration, i broke out baddddd twice (1 month after taking it, then 3 months after, not to mention other weird things).......for the last 2 years later my face is clear! it's quite unbelievable.......the worse the break outs the better it is in the future, the body is getting it all out

Mike09 thank you for the words of encouragement, right now it means more to me than you know. In fact its been all the words of encouragement here that has kept me positive for my son. I am so sorry to hear that the dr said you were one of the worst , but so glad you are clear and doing well. I think may son may have an infection also. The derm said he def needs to take two antibiotics to help clear up because it was so bad. They also gave him more cortisone shots. he said that things should have been looking better by now and has rarely ever had a patient go so slowly on treatment. (i think this also has to do with the fact that they give most of their patientss 80 mgs a day and my son can only tolerate 40 mg a day). I am keeping my fingers croosed and will update everyone if i see any changes while on antibiotics> Just incase anyone is having the same problems down the road they can read this and hopefully this helps them in their journey.

#62 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Just wanted to update everyone, when I got home today my son was in good spirits. The antibiotics seem to have made a difference over night and things looked better this afternoon. I hope it stays on this path, as things have looked up before. Just before they got bad again. Will keep everyone updated.

#63 Mom Too

Mom Too

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Mosey Mom, glad to hear that thinks are looking better.  Hopefully you will see more improvement very soon!  Thanks for info on side effects and drinking more water.  I will definitely have him add more water and see if that helps.

Mike09, thanks for the info.  My son is almost the exact same size you were when you began taking it.

Derm visit on Friday went well.  He was very encouraging and reassuring and so we have all decided to continue the treatment at 40mg per day.  May have to extend treatment longer than first anticipated because of lower dosage.  Could possibly up the dosage at some point. Blood work results came today and everything is good!  Glad for that!

Funny that my son told the doctor that I was the one worried about everything, not him!  Not true, I just try and pay attention when he says something hurts so that we stay on top of things.  Guess I need to keep my thoughts to myself so that I don't put worry in my son's head every time he has a pain somewhere!

Doc said he thought my son's face was showing improvement.  Some days I think so too, some days not!  We will see what happens from here!

#64 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi mom too , I am laughing because my son initially told his cute girl PA almost the same thing . Yes I am a worrywart but he had questions too lol. I learned to come here and expressy concerns because I also did not want to put things in his head. It is just us being moms. We are looking out for there best interest . We also thought things looked good then got bad again. I hope that your son improves. At first I would ask him everyday if there was improvement but since things just got worse and worse I stopped. Now I just wait for him to bring it up. Because I could tell my questions were bothering him. I did make a deal with him that if he was having any weird symptoms he would let me know and I would research.

#65 appleloli

appleloli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

i got a lot of acne scar...im suffer because the acne scar,now it about 6 year acne scar at my face,i use many product but nothing change at my face,now i want to use this product because i heard many said this product was so good,i just want to know which one among the products that are most suitable for me,can you give any suggestions?

#66 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi appleloli right now we are not doing any treatments for acne scarring. This is a thread for accutane the acne treatment. I have heard that laser worls for acne scarring. Check with your derm for suggestions. If you just have dark spots you should try an over the counter skin lightner.

Update my son has been on antibiotics for about 4 days now. Things look so much better. I don't see any new acne and the ones he did have , have cleared up about 90 %. I would say this is the best his skin has looked since he started accutane over 3 months ago. I hope the acne oesnt come back after finishing the bactrim and prednisone .

#67 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Update: a few new acne popping up again. Still on the antibiotics. Just wanted to update incase anyone is going through the same thing, to know your not alone.

#68 Mom Too

Mom Too

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Things still seem about the same.  Looked better yesterday, doesn't seem to look better today.  My son has been going about his sports activities and working a job that is also somewhat hard physically and has not been complaining of any back or joint pain.  Not sure if pain has subsided with lower dosage or if he has just gotten used to it and is not talking about it.  Really wish things would improve soon.  I think it would help encourage my son and assure us that we are making a good decision with the treatment.  

Mosey Mom, I am sure things will get better and stay that way soon.  We haven't had any antibiotics since starting the isotretenoin, only before, so we are not going through that at the moment.  We had great results with my daughter, but I can't remember how long into it I would say we turned that corner of continuous improvement.  I will have to ask her and see.  

So glad our boys seem to be so much alike!  It makes me feel like I am not so overprotective to know that you are having the same conversations that we are!

Edited by Mom Too, 19 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#69 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi MomToo. I know what you mean by one day it looks better and the next day bad again. That is what happened most of the past 3 months. Looks bad, then worse, same, same, not as red, worse again, drying up, worse, worse again, same, same, same, better, worse... I could go on and on lol . Ask ur son to write down the days he has pain. Sometimes it's hard to remember days later, my son sprained his wrist 6 weeks ago and it still hurts. He does construction so it is constantly irritated. I read it prob wont get better until he's off the meds . Because of the lower dose and how slow he's rogrrssing he won't be off there's until another 4 months now. Please keep us updated on your sons progress. You are not alone and there's nothing wrong with being overprotective. Just don't let them know it lol

#70 smjour

smjour

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

My 13 year old daughter is on her 11th day of taking accutane 20mg.She weighs 110lbs..Her doctor said she starts her patients on a low dose and then gradually increases to avoid or minimize IB and other side effects.  So far she has slightly dry lips and has complained about headaches for the past 4 days.  I am thinking she needs to drink more water. I totally understand how worried the other moms are.  I am such a worry wart.  Ugh.  I just want this to work for my daughter with as little side effects as possible.  Everyday I am staring at her to see if the IB is starting.  I am counting down the days. 

#71 Mom Too

Mom Too

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Mosey Mom,

Somehow, I am expecting our progress to be slow like your sons too due to the lower dosage.   I just keep hoping that one day it will look better and then better each day after that! Writing down pain days is a good idea!  We may try that, but doubt my son will be thrilled about it!  Haha!  It is good to know I am not alone, it makes me feel so much better to be able to voice concerns here.

Smjour,

My son did start drinking more water at Mosey Mom's suggestion.  He also drinks a lot of Gatorade when he is playing sports and working.  The liquids seem to help.   He has not complained of pain as much since, but I have quit asking so much because he didn't like me constantly asking him how he was!  

My prayer since the start has been exactly what you said, please work with little or no side effects!  

Good luck!  Keep us posted on the progress! 

#72 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yes to both smjour and mom too, lots of water. It helps with the headaches because most people get headaches from dehydration and it helps lube the joints to help with pain.
Progress still slow. Four actives in total on the face, so we are close to preaccutane ( approx 6 actives) skin. With the exception of thin red skin and scars and that they are smaller. they are not huge like before or very cystic. they are just under the skin red bumps that eventually come oozing out. Man, accutane sure makes the skin red and thin. I think he's becoming a little disillusioned with the Accutane the past couple of days. I haven't asked him because like all the mothers on here know, they don't seem to be thrilled when you ask. But he seems a little down. I am going to keep an eye out, and see if he's interested in going somewhere this weekend, if he is things are not as bad as I think they are.

#73 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Things are looking really bad again. appox 11 actives and about 3 of those looking really cystic. Two more weeks and the 4th month will be completed.

#74 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Even more coming out again. Things looking as bad as initial in. I'm hoping this accutane is working

#75 Mom Too

Mom Too

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Mosey Mom

I know you are anxious for things to improve, as am I.  Most all of the end results I have heard of have been good as far as clearing up the acne.  

Is there a possibility that it does not work for some people?  I had not even thought of that until I read your last post and began thinking...

My son's breakout is still as bad as ever.  We are in about week 7 of treatment. 

#76 fotoguy

fotoguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Accutane continues to clear the skin well after you take your last dose. We have to remember that things don;t always work themselves out according to our time tables. Yes, it's a real bummer but reality, nonetheless. Just stick with the prescribed dosage, let the medicine do it's job and you will get good results.

#77 meowza

meowza

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hi Mosey Mom!

First off, I just want to echo the statements of others when I say how lucky your son is to have you as a mom. Showing concern and going out of your way to ensure you have all of the info to help him through this.

I just started Accutane (40mg/day), and I'm starting my second week. I'm a 23 year old female. I went through my adolescence with horrible acne on my back (my face has always just been moderate). I can really put myself in your sons shoes. I still live with my mom and sometimes I can see her trying to examine my skin when she suspects I am not looking! I get really really annoyed when she asks to look at it up close. I feel so embarrassed of my appearance, I don't want anyone else to look at it. However, after reading this thread, I am so much more understanding of my mum. I know now, she probably feels the same way you do, concerned and wanting to help. So thank you for sharing your story as I think it will help my mom and I communicate more during my course of Accutane :)

Also, I am also having an initial breakout at week #2, and my lips are starting to dry up quite a bit. 

Wishing you and your son the best on this journey! 

#78 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Thank You MomToo and fotoguy for your positive thoughts. I havent posted because things were just staying the same, bad!. Past week things have been getting better again and without the antibiotics this time. he had a dr appt today and the dr only found one where he injected. Usually theres several minutes of injections all over the face. Scarring is looking pretty bad but I read that is to be expected (so thanks to everyone thats posts here notifying us of scarring), so i let my son know that which seems to help ease his tensions alot. I am keeping my fingers crossed once again and hope to read everyones updates of their progress on their blogs. just know I do read them and I am wishing everyone here the best. I think you all deserve wonderful skin!! I hate to see so many beautiful people inside and out suffering.

FYI. We are about 4 months in now. We were supposed to be done this week on the 80 mg but since my son was lowered due to his cholesterol we will see how much longer this journey takes.

Hi Mosey Mom!

First off, I just want to echo the statements of others when I say how lucky your son is to have you as a mom. Showing concern and going out of your way to ensure you have all of the info to help him through this.

I just started Accutane (40mg/day), and I'm starting my second week. I'm a 23 year old female. I went through my adolescence with horrible acne on my back (my face has always just been moderate). I can really put myself in your sons shoes. I still live with my mom and sometimes I can see her trying to examine my skin when she suspects I am not looking! I get really really annoyed when she asks to look at it up close. I feel so embarrassed of my appearance, I don't want anyone else to look at it. However, after reading this thread, I am so much more understanding of my mum. I know now, she probably feels the same way you do, concerned and wanting to help. So thank you for sharing your story as I think it will help my mom and I communicate more during my course of Accutane smile.png

Also, I am also having an initial breakout at week #2, and my lips are starting to dry up quite a bit. 

Wishing you and your son the best on this journey! 

Dear Meowza, thank you for your wonderful post. I am so glad that this helps you understand your mom a little better. There are so many moms here that really want just the best for our kids, but were stuck between a rock and a hard place, because we want to help but still keep a safe distance...lol..Im sure my son feels just like you do and im sure he can notice me looking at his face. I even found myself looking away when he was talking to me, it was so much pressure that I had to just say to myself, take a breather from this accutane thing and let it do its work. I went back to how I was before he started accutane and just let him know im here if he needs me. The other day he actually came up to me and said MOM , have you red anything about scarring? I about fell off my chair. I said yes son (actually I say "baby" cause hes my baby lol) I have and things are going to look pretty red and lots of scarring until your off of accutane and blah blah blah. Wow  he was actually talking to me about his face again. I love being a mom. You kids really make it worth it. :)

#79 melmel87

melmel87

melle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

My son has been on accutane 10 days now and has broken out rather bad with about 20 active acne, he's never had more than about 5 at one time, on both sides of his face. It seems that this is happening quite early so I am worried that accutane may be causing a reaction? Or could it be a bad case of ib since he is on 80mg a day from the start? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

He only had 5 active pimples and the dermatologist suggested accutane? What other treatments had he tried prior?  how old is he? And what type of acne did he have prior to accutane? Cystic/nodular or just papules/whiteheads?

Edited by melmel87, 09 May 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#80 Mosey mom

Mosey mom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

My son has been on accutane 10 days now and has broken out rather bad with about 20 active acne, he's never had more than about 5 at one time, on both sides of his face. It seems that this is happening quite early so I am worried that accutane may be causing a reaction? Or could it be a bad case of ib since he is on 80mg a day from the start? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

He only had 5 active pimples and the dermatologist suggested accutane? What other treatments had he tried prior?  how old is he? And what type of acne did he have prior to accutane? Cystic/nodular or just papules/whiteheads?
I'm sorry, maybe I see them differently when I say active, what I meanie that he would have about 5 new cysts coming out at a time, but he would still have others that were drying up and white heads and black heads. But it's not like he would wake up everyday with another new 7 every day. His acne before before accutane was rated severe cystic it was Audi g deep pits in his skin both checks and forehead were affected with very large pores. He's 23 now and it's been like this sine he was 16. He was also using proactive and that kept him to around 5 or so. We've tried laser, topicals, antibiotics, micro,. Trust me I have tried everything in the past 7 years. I am paying cash for accutane. You really need to read the whole blog for the info if you are thinking that the derm just said oh u have mild acne lets try accutane first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users