Photo

Roaccutane- Journey To Clear Skin. Edited-Pictures Added.

97 replies to this topic

#21 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

Day 19

Gosh, it's flying! My lips at the corner are very slowly starting to crack, so will be buying Aquaphor today which everyone seems to rave about on here. Though to be honest, I'm not using stuff for my lips as much as I should, so that's no doubt why it's not being well managed at the moment. My hands are red and dry, plus body keeps itching but no obvious dryness. The only thing I do religiously is use Palmer's for my face which is working so well. So slapped wrists for me. Must stop being so slack about things elsewhere!

My scalp starts burning and itching a lot if I go longer than 24 hours without washing it. Not too much of a problem washing it everyday as I did before hand (or every other day occasionally).

Dermatologist appointment is on Wednesday (13th).

Edited by NoMoreDotToDot, 14 March 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#22 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

how often you apply palmers on your face?

Do you use the palmers cocoa butter? And it doesn't break you out?

#23 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

I apply it just once a day before I go to bed. I do it an hour or two before hand, so it has time so soak in so to speak, instead of it coming straight off on to the pillow.

Yes, I use the Palmer's Cocoa butter. The actual butter in the tub, not the lotion as find that doesn't work as well & I'm not breaking out anymore than what I normally do.

#24 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Day 24

Had my Derm appointment today, and heard the words "you'll be pleased you're not pregnant", woo!
She's keeping me on 40mg for now, as had my third nosebleed in the night and kept stopping and starting all day today. My nose doesn't feel dry at all, so she thinks it could be that my lipid levels are abnormal, & she said persistent nosebleeds could mean having to stop it...boo, hope not sad.png
In terms of other side effects it's not too bad. Lips are well managed now with the beauty that is called Aquaphor! Still no dryness on my face. On my body the only dryness I have is on my forearms. Looks like I'm sunburnt as it's peeling. Eyes are a little irritated too.
Now on to the sodding spots. Well, on my chest I don't have a single spot, yay! Still breaking out on my back, though not sure how much as not paying too much attention to my back.
Have spots appearing on my face, though they are smaller than usual, and dry up much quicker and are gone quickly. Though one disappears and other arrives. So am happy with how things are progressing with the spots. smile.png

Edited by NoMoreDotToDot, 14 March 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#25 Rorius

Rorius

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Glad you're happy with how things are going & well done on not getting preggers! Your side effects seem to be quite strong though :( I'm lucky enough to still only have the dry lips.

I'm finding my skin seems to be really slow to heal at the mo. I'm hardly getting any new spots but the old ones just don't seem to be fully going away which is annoying.

#26 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hey! Hhmm, yeah, is just the nosebleeds that are troublesome, and as my nose isn't dry/sore, I've been looking into how I would lower lipid levels. Obviously the standard thing is lose weight and eat healthily, but could I do anything about it if it's down to the medication causing the raised levels? I'm a UK size 8 (US 4), eat healthily, exercise?

Pleased to hear you're hardly getting any new spots, that's a start. My skin takes a while to heal on my back. Good you're getting minimal side effects :)

#27 Rorius

Rorius

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hey! Hhmm, yeah, is just the nosebleeds that are troublesome, and as my nose isn't dry/sore, I've been looking into how I would lower lipid levels. Obviously the standard thing is lose weight and eat healthily, but could I do anything about it if it's down to the medication causing the raised levels? I'm a UK size 8 (US 4), eat healthily, exercise?

Pleased to hear you're hardly getting any new spots, that's a start. My skin takes a while to heal on my back. Good you're getting minimal side effects smile.png

Why do you think the lipid levels would cause nosebleeds? Both my triglyceride & cholesterol levels are high (which I found worrying- I've been a bit of a fitness fanatic since my mid-teens) but the Derm said something about the ratio of the two being important rather than one or the other being high. I didn't really pay much attention to what she was saying though, haha.

Also I'm loving the typical female dodge of posting clothing size rather than weight! :P

Hope you had a good Valentine's day. I went on a mandate. Clearly much better than a normal one. :)

#28 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Because when I told the Derm I don't have a dry nose, she said that lipid levels could be the cause. I didnt question her anymore about it, so don't know the ins and outs. Oh really, that's interesting yours are high despite being a fitness finatic (what do you do?) Love fitness :) was a sprinter for 9 years but had to stop due to ill health :(

Haha, I put my clothes size instead of weight, because I'm tall for a woman (5ft 8") so naturally weigh more than the average sized woman. Perfectly happy with my weight, thank you ;) been informed my BMI is 20.1 lol.

Lol a mandate sounds good! Don't like Valentines Day really.

#29 Rorius

Rorius

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

That's a shame you had to stop. I used to be a propa serious road cyclist, but since going to Uni I've got more into running as cycling just takes up too much time and effort (training rides were often 5-6 hours and exhausting) so I aim for half marathons these days. After watching the Olympics I feel bad about my bike gathering dust in the corner though :(

I think the triglyceride levels & cholesterol is just a genetic thing and quite individual. My diet isn't amazing nor particularly bad so I don't think that really contributes too much.

You realise I could work out your weight from your height and BMI? Fortunately I'm not quite that sad & creepy :) I hate BMI, it says I'm almost overweight!

& I think Valentines day is pretty much universally unpopular on this website haha.

#30 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Ah that's cool, you doing any half marathons this year? I'd love to try training again. Is definitely on the cards, but been told this morning I need to have shoulder surgery...*sob*.
Well phew, I'm pleased you're not that sad & creepy ;) someone will be sad enough to I'm sure now that you've said it lol.
Just on this website?! I think everywhere! Treat each other like that all year round, just not that one day!

Edited by NoMoreDotToDot, 15 February 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#31 Rorius

Rorius

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

All the girls say that, but then expect something on Valentines day anyway :)

I wanted to do the Bath half in March but it filled up ridiculously quickly, so not sure. I think there's a 12-miler in Chepstow that's supposed to be really hilly, could be a challenge!

Shoulder surgery sounds pretty serious :( I do find running batters your body a lot more than cycling.

#32 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

Day 29

So, it's been a month! Has gone really quickly.
My pores have returned to normal size, and I still don't have any spots on my chest. Can't remember the last time this happened. So pleased. My back is clearing up slowly too.
The skin on my face looks a bit of a state at the moment. I had 6 actives on my forehead (never used to get them on my forehead), but have already gone after a day so left with just red patches. Keep getting pimples appearing around jaw line, up around the cheeks. I know it takes a while to see results, especially on the face, so am not complaining at all.
Side effects- Still dry, chapped lips. Had very small nosebleed since last entry. Experiencing joint pain, & have developed eczema/dermatitis on my arms. Will upload pictures later, if I remember smile.png

Edited by NoMoreDotToDot, 14 March 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#33 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

Day 31

I forgot to add pictures of my skin one month in. Have taken pictures this morning so it's more up to date, and there is a difference between day 28 and day 31. Redness & tightness reduced, and my small under the skin pimples have gone.
DAY 28:
image.jpg
DAY 31:
image.jpg

I currently have 3 actives. One on my chin and two on my forehead. Aquaphor is starting to lose its effect on my lips, so need to experiment with other products. Have had nosebleeds the past two days, but only small ones. & this is what I have on both hands and arms:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I don't particularly like writing about the side effects, as don't want it to be perceived as me whinging, as really I'm not wink.png All a very small price to pay, & I'm happy smile.png

Edited by NoMoreDotToDot, 14 March 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#34 electricbetty

electricbetty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum as I am currently only on day 6 of my Roaccutane prescription. I found your log because we are the same age, both based in the UK and my acne is very similar to yours! You are a month ahead of me so I am interested to see your side-effects. What are the red lesions on your hands and arms in the above photos, did your Dermatologist say?

#35 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Hi, I am new to this forum as I am currently only on day 6 of my Roaccutane prescription. I found your log because we are the same age, both based in the UK and my acne is very similar to yours! You are a month ahead of me so I am interested to see your side-effects. What are the red lesions on your hands and arms in the above photos, did your Dermatologist say?

Hey :) like stumbling across other people from the UK.
My hands/arms have got worse now since the picture. This appeared since my last Derm appointment so haven't spoken to him about it. Looks like eczema/dermatitis which can be a side effect from the drug. I've been using a cream since yesterday (as standard creams like e45 did nothing), and actually looks a lot better this morning. Just make sure you moisturise everywhere early on, as I didn't except the face, so I'm pretty sure that's why I got it.
Good luck to you. Do you suffer with acne just on your face?

Edited by NoMoreDotToDot, 25 February 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#36 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Day 36

Making progress smile.png
image.jpg
image.jpg

I currently have two small actives. I'm really happy. The two actives I spoke about on my forehead (which was actually at the top of my nose), became big, I tried to sort it, made such a mess of my face. Didn't go out the following day as you couldn't not notice it because of it being near the eye area. But normally, a mess like that which I create takes about a week or two to sort itself out, 2 days later it was going fast gasp.gif Happened 3 days ago & you wouldn't know. Thought healing time was meant to be slow?!
Still not a single pimple on my chest! Have a few new clusters on my back.
Side effects, spoke about my hands/arms in the above post ^, nose bleeds are being such a nuisance now. Get about 2-3 a day. And not small ones either. Takes about 10-15 mins for the bleeding to stop. Is that excessive? i have no idea. Still no dryness on face, except flaking when a spot goes (which I sort by gently exfoliating). Seriously, buy Palmer's Cocoa butter smile.png Lips still dry and cracked and is now affecting the skin around the lips. Aquaphor galore today!

Edited by NoMoreDotToDot, 14 March 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#37 JDW

JDW

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Sport, Turtles, Wasting time on the internet...

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Your face definitely looks alot less red. About a couple of your side effects, I've gotten similar rashes on my hands/arms but as long as I moisturize before bed they go away, I'm using Redwin sorbelene but don't know if that is in the UK. Have you tried vaseline for nose dryness/blood noses yet? 

#38 Rorius

Rorius

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Lookin' good!

I lost my Aquaphor, but found it wasn't really much better than Vaseline anyway so I'm just back to using that.

The nose bleeds are possibly a bit worrying. Did you mention them last time you saw your Derm? A friend of mine said he suffered pretty badly from nosebleeds when he took Accutane as a teenager, but his blood tests were fine. Just another annoying side effect.

#39 electricbetty

electricbetty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hey smile.png like stumbling across other people from the UK.
My hands/arms have got worse now since the picture. This appeared since my last Derm appointment so haven't spoken to him about it. Looks like eczema/dermatitis which can be a side effect from the drug. I've been using a cream since yesterday (as standard creams like e45 did nothing), and actually looks a lot better this morning. Just make sure you moisturise everywhere early on, as I didn't except the face, so I'm pretty sure that's why I got it.
Good luck to you. Do you suffer with acne just on your face?

Ok, hadn't heard of that as a side effect before, will keep moisturising!! We're a very atopic family so have got lots of prescribed ointments for very dry skin in the house, will keep them handy if I have a similar affect.

Thanks, yes just acne on my face, I suppose I'm lucky in that respect. Just finished week 1 and everything is starting to kick in e.g. dryness and MAJOR flushing, I literally had the reddest face for hours earlier it was hilarious!

#40 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Your face definitely looks alot less red. About a couple of your side effects, I've gotten similar rashes on my hands/arms but as long as I moisturize before bed they go away, I'm using Redwin sorbelene but don't know if that is in the UK. Have you tried vaseline for nose dryness/blood noses yet? 

Pharmacist ended up giving me Hydro 1% cream and it is all now disappearing :) yes, have been using Vaseline but isn't helping things. Just have to ride it out.

Lookin' good!

I lost my Aquaphor, but found it wasn't really much better than Vaseline anyway so I'm just back to using that.

The nose bleeds are possibly a bit worrying. Did you mention them last time you saw your Derm? A friend of mine said he suffered pretty badly from nosebleeds when he took Accutane as a teenager, but his blood tests were fine. Just another annoying side effect.

Yeah I did, & that's why she didn't increase my dosage, and spoke about the lipid levels. She said if nosebleeds persist she might have to take me off it!? I get about 2-3 a day still, and find if I'm stressed, that triggers it (how I know it's not down to dryness). So I will just have to keep calm and carry on ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users