spironolactone pcos hormonal acne hormonal spiro

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jessie09

Jessie09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, running, being outdoors, finding out new things about interesting people, psychology, philosophy, and physiology

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I have been taking Spironolactone on and off for the last year and a half for adult hormonal acne. I had moderate acne as a teen that mostly cleared up when I was 18. I started getting cystic acne when I was 23 and have been taking Spiro for it. When I first take the Spiro, it immediately clears up my skin for up to 4 weeks, and then my skin starts breaking out again. I don't get cysts, but smaller pimples around my chin and jawline. I never used to get acne in these areas before. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if anyone else has experience more acne at higher doses.

I was just diagnosed with PCOS and with low estrogen and progesterone. I'm not sure if Spiro is the right match for me, given that...

#2 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

That's interesting. What dose are you on? What's the longest you've stayed on it and has it gotten you clear eventually? Are you on a birth control pill - if so which one? What is your testosterone level?

#3 Shannanigunz

Shannanigunz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

It sounds like your best bet may be to see your gyno/family doctor and be prescribed some BCP that are approved for treating acne. I am on one now, Ortho Tri Cyclen, but I am still in the first 4 months and waiting for full results.

There's Yaz, Yasmin, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, and Dianne 35...to name a few. Your doctor will be able to analyze your hormone levels if you ask for testing, and they can better determine what birth control would be right for you. I wish I had gotten hormone testing done before I switched BCP.

I have also heard that taking a high dose of Vitamins A and D every day (you can purchase at any vitamin or health food store) helps tremendously with hormonal acne in some cases. I'm going to give this a try as well.

Good luck!!

#4 Jessie09

Jessie09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, running, being outdoors, finding out new things about interesting people, psychology, philosophy, and physiology

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks. My skin is always good right away when taking it and then starts to get worse, with constant little breakouts. I have stayed on it for up to 5 months taking 50 mg/day, which I am doing now. I tried taking more and it didn't go very well. I attempted to stop it altogether last month and had a terrible, cystic breakout- so I went right back on it. My testosterone levels were normal- the Progesterone and FSH were off.

I tried BCP and am now on the Climara Patch and taking oral Progesterone. I'm hoping that I my skin will improved enough that I can eventually get off the Spiro. What do you think?

#5 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track with the estrogen patch and the oral progesterone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users