Photo

Well, After 10 Years, I Give Up

boxcar ice pick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#21 Threex1Minus1

Threex1Minus1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

To all those suggesting accutane: as of right now, my acne is probably not bad enough for a dermatologist to prescribe accutane. While it is definitely persistent and moderate, I don't get cystic acne as much as I did back during my teenage years. No doubt I would have probably been prescribed accutane had I gone to a derm back in my early teens, but atlas (and regrettably) I did not. Although, with how many derms now-a-day prescribe accutane like it's candy maybe it's just a matter of finding the right derm. I was actually going to a derm for the past 2-3 years, but stopped going as of last summer. He had me on antibiotics which worked well originally, of course, but then I built a resistance (started on Solodyn, a time-released minocycline then bumped up to Bactrim). But he didn't really care, and kept writing prescriptions for Bactrim after being on it for ~2 years. Not only was it not really doing anything by summer of last year, but I was not comfortable taking an antibiotic long term, so I decided to stop going to him. Not to mention the fact that the guy had the personality of a ham sandwich.

But my feelings about accutane are mixed, and I find myself reluctant to make that step. Certainly there are many days where my frustration with everything just has me saying "fuck it, I don't care I'll take it if it means an end to this" but part of me still just isn't comfortable with taking such a strong and potentially dangerous medication unless absolutely needed. I know, there are so many positive stories compared to the negatives, but it's still something I'm just not 100% comfortable with yet. Eventually I'm sure I will seek it out though, simply out of pure frustration and an "last effort" type of feeling.

Oh and to the user who mentioned about seeing a prostitute, I like your thinking, haha. And trust me, I have considered it. Like you, I don't consider prostitution immoral or shameful. But my luck is so bad that I know whomever I would attempt to solicit from would end up being an undercover cop or something. But at this point, I think I have no other options. If you don't hear from me again, perhaps I am in jail! :P

#22 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I think you should have no problems getting accutane as long as your acne is mild or worse. Just don't use whatever they want you to try first, say it didn't work, and then ask for accutane. And before your appointment try to break out by eating a bunch of sugar or whatever causes you to break out.

I don't think accutane is as serious as people make it seem. As long as you don't overdose or keep using it if you start getting a serious side effect,  you should be fine. I was kind of nervous about it before I started taking it, but now that I am using it, it just feels like I'm taking a regular supplement. My only side effect is chapped lips. I may not be the best example since I'm only taking 20mg a day, but it just doesn't feel that dangerous to me.

#23 Briar_Rose

Briar_Rose

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

I feel your pain - I'm on like 17 years of on and off acne now.  I also wanted to suggest accutane.  My acne has come back fairly mildly after I went off birth control and antibiotics.  My new doctor suggested I try accutane this time, instead of another antibiotic.  I've been on and off antibiotics for several years and he was concerned about that. I was on accutane as a teenager and was very sucessful.  I only had limited side effects.

Obviously, you'll want to do your own research about accutane, but I will second (maybe third or fourth?) the recommendations to try it that were given here.  Best of luck with your skin :) And never feel bad about venting.  Sometimes even the sweetest people around us don't understand like those who also have suffered with acne.