205 replies to this topic

#141 Spenno

Spenno

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hiya!

I'm 22 years old and i've just graduated from university where i've suffered with acne for the entire 4 years and well beforehand, I would say my acne started at 16 years old. My mum was looking on the internet and found this website and it intrigued us enough that I have since been to Holland and Barrett to buy some Vitamin D3 supplements (25mg/1000IU). In the past, I have had numerous appointments with my GP who has prescribed me on a variety of medicines (namely Oxytetracycline) in order to cure my acne however it flares up within 2 weeks of taking the tablets. I suffer especially bad with my acne in the winter months (aka. now) and I have been taking the D3 supplements for just under a week, and I am already starting to see slightly enhanced results in my skin. Namely, my skin glows more, the acne on my cheeks and forehead has most definitely reduced and I am therefore optimistic that with prolonged use of these tablets I will start to see a visible improvement in my skin. Price wise: Holland and Barrett are currently offering one bottle of the D3 tablets for about £5 and you get another bottle for 1p. So, obviously I bought two bottles which has now given me a 6 month supply on the proviso that you take one-a-day. 
Any acne sufferers: It is absolutely definitely worth a go! TRY IT! :)

#142 mazgan

mazgan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

i actually had a blood test that also checked vitamin D 25(OH) and ive got 28, and thats even after i took cod liver oil for 2 month, so im defently gonna give this a try since i too have insanly oily skin..

#143 Catty

Catty

It's time I got back to the good life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

2 weeks and no difference. Will persevere! 

#144 TrentAH

TrentAH

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Im trying to stop taking all the vitamins I have been taking for years , because they arent working to rid my acne, and have started eating healthier foods, fruit n veg that contain all the good vitamins that are suppose to help rid acne.

#145 clc91180

clc91180

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm 33yo and have been taking supplements for a year or so started with multi vits and fish oil mainly cause my grandmother used to talk about how her mother would force her to take cod liver oil to prevent sickness especially in winter and she didn't ever really get sick . well I started taking supplements to help the quality of my life , I was tired all the time and seemed to catch any bug that was around . well since I've been researching vits & mins & came across this site . ever since puberty I've had mild to severe acne worse in winter so I would go to tanning salons to help . since I've read this I added d3 to my regiment its been about 2 weeks & my acne is clearing up , no new inflammations . I take about 4000iu a day . wish I found out sooner wouldn't have so many scars , but I'm definitely happy with my results . thanks to everybody who posted . Fyi I take lysine , co-q10 , zinc , vit e , centrum & omega 3-6-9(all sundown) , q10 & zinc 4 times a week everything else daily , & feel & heal much better & don't get sick as much

#146 Hector12345

Hector12345

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

It seems like vitamin D3 works like isotretinoin when it comes to 1) the time that It takes in order to start noticing changes 2) the Initial breakout 3) sebum reduction .... I will try this approach!

#147 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

After 3+ months of D2 supplementation, my level has gone from 20s to 82! This is the total D level, but my D3 is <4 according to the lab results. Does anyone know if only D3 can help with skin problems? Now I'm not deficient anymore, but my D3 levels are still low. 

I don't think D3 supplements are supposed to cause an initial breakout, are they? Because I keep breaking out on them, that's why I got prescription D2.

#148 robertzombie

robertzombie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

During the winter time my skin gets more oily and redder than usual. Probably due to irritation from the cold and (perhaps) lack of sunlight. Right on cue with winter, after a relativity problem free eight months (my personal best since age 13), I had an unexpected breakout in November and have been seeing the usual winter harshness in my skin since.

I remembered this thread and thought I'd give Vitamin D3 a go. I went with the aforementioned Holland & Barrett variety (http://www.hollandan...did=886&cid=163). It's more expensive than I would have liked but H&B are a trusted UK brand and it came with the promise of "No added Salt. No Milk, No Corn, No Lactose, No Gluten, No Wheat, No Yeast, No Fish, No Porcine, No Soya".

I started on December 2, so it's been a week so far (one supplement per day with breakfast). I've actually noticed a slight improvement already. My face is less oily and is not as red as it was last week. I'm hoping to be able to achieve the normal skin tone and oil balance that I get in the summer, hopefully Vitamin D3 will help with this. I'll post back in a month with an update.

FYI: 24/M/London, I perform "the regimen" every day, take a daily Vitamin C + Zinc supplement, and eat a mostly pescetarian diet.

#149 baloo

baloo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:56 AM

So, has anyone figured out any constants among the people that the D3 has worked for?

I first read about it in Green Gables' huge hormonal acne thread on here, and after making my way to this thread after finishing that one, I'm thinking about trying D3 first and putting off the strong anti-androgen stuff (Saw Palmetto, etc) until later, in case D3 doesn't work. I actually started myself on the paleo diet a couple years back, and it's helped my cystic acne a fair bit, but lately I've gotten lazy and it's started coming back. I wonder if the fact that that particular leg of the anti-hormonal-acne strategy outlined in Green Gables' thread has worked for me is a good predictor that D3 will help even more?

We'll see... I'm starting D3 tomorrow (dunno what dosage yet--thinking of starting at 1,000 or 2,000 IU), and will probably supplement w/ C and Magnesium. I'll update this thread in a few weeks w/ progress. Unless I die.

FYI: 30 y.o. male, cystic acne and greasy skin since age 14 or so. On a computer pretty much all day, very little sun at all. EDIT: forgot to add, I started losing my hair around 14 too, and currently it's very thin on top. From far away I look bald up there. Also, I might have prostate issues, not sure. So, good chance I've got DHT problems?

Edited by baloo, 04 January 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#150 Azalin

Azalin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

I don't have much for acne anymore, but I have a ton of blackheads on my nose that never go away. I take Retin-A every other night and it  has cured me of acne. My face is still extremely oily though, especially my nose, which only cleared up when I was on accutane. Im going to start doing this today, 2,000 mg of Vitamin C, and I will start with 4,000 mg's of Vitamin D3. I also live in Ontario Canada, and am mostly in doors, especially during these winter months. Heres hoping it helps! I will update this weekly in case people are wondering what the progress is like.

#151 jletz94

jletz94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

sebumsucks - I am currently 19 years of age and I also recently decided to give vitamin d3 a shot because in the summer my skin would be extremely clear. Now I’m not saying it wouldn’t be greasy but that’s because I would be outside sweating all day at work. But I would not have any acne on my face or my back really. When winter swings around and I get caught up in school, I don’t spend much time outside. I also suffer from really greasy skin on my face and back and have tried everything but acutane. I really hope this works for me because I don’t want to have my acne or an irritated back.

#152 jletz94

jletz94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

sebumsucks - I am currently 19 years of age and I also recently decided to give vitamin d3 a shot because in the summer my skin would be extremely clear. Now I’m not saying it wouldn’t be greasy but that’s because I would be outside sweating all day at work. But I would not have any acne on my face or my back really. When winter swings around and I get caught up in school, I don’t spend much time outside. I also suffer from really greasy skin on my face and back and have tried everything but acutane. I really hope this works for me because I don’t want to have my acne or an irritated back.

#153 Azalin

Azalin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

So I gave it a try with no results. Started taking 5000 ui's a day, and then brought it up to 10,000 ui's after 2 weeks. It's been about a month and a week so far, and absolutely no change at all. I hope it works for some people.

I also take a zinc pill, sports multivitamin, and 2000 mg's of Vitamin C daily.

#154 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

People, you need vitamin D whether you notice it improving your acne or not. And get it from the sun when you can.

#155 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

I found a vegan vitamin D3 supplement by country life...is anyone on plant-based D3???

#156 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hey WishClean,

Do you still suffer from oily skin?

#157 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

I was very deficient in vitamin D and getting my levels back to normal never did anything for my skin....

#158 jj420

jj420

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I'm taking a supplement right now that has Vitamin D in it, working well, but maybe I will try supplementing with extra vitamin D like your saying.. Anyone out there had any bad reactions from taking too much vitamin D??

#159 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'm taking a supplement right now that has Vitamin D in it, working well, but maybe I will try supplementing with extra vitamin D like your saying.. Anyone out there had any bad reactions from taking too much vitamin D??

You can overdose from taking too much vitamin D.

#160 Yaitza25

Yaitza25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

This is true I went to my doctor he tested me for low vitamin d he told me my vitamin d was extremely low and he prescribed me vitamin D 50,000 mg once a week plus a vitamin d and calcium supplement daily I started taking it but never thought my acne was cause by low d.  After about a week I noticed that I didnt had a single pimple I usually get cystic acne very bad but I thought it was because a new cream I was using but then I ran out of my prescription and forgot to get my refill my face got worst than before , thanks for this post tomorrow I am running to get my refill  smile.png

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users