#201 bidgood

bidgood

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B0083XMUUE

Seems like a great way to boost your levels without having your liver do so much work.  A lot of us have compromised livers anyway, and perhaps that's tied into why we have low Vit D levels to begin with, even though we're supplementing.  Wishclean, these may work for you, if you can't tolerate oral supplements at all.  I'm going to get my levels tested soon and then try these, if I find that I'm deficient(and I most likely am).  Getting sufficient Magnesium(organic/chelated) and Vitamin K2(MK4) could also be a huge part of this puzzle too.

I think it's interesting that when we're deficient in Vit D, we're given large amounts of Vit D2 to correct the deficiency, but this still leaves us with low Vit D3, which is what really matters in the end.  So almost everyone who is diagnosed as deficient... is still deficient in the end.  I'm interested in seeing what kind of results we'd be getting if our Vit D3 and blood Magnesium levels were up to snuff, while we supplemented with a bit of MK4 and Zinc(just a little) to properly utilize the D3.

I think there really is something to the Vitamin D3, but I think we should be more dilligent about how we go about raising our levels, making sure they're actually getting raised, and making sure we have other vitamins and minerals that we need to use the D3 to begin with.

#202 sonicx2218

sonicx2218

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

I've had luck with zinc in the afternoon and magnesium in the evening. It's reduced the acne about 50%, but I'm starting my D3 regimen tomorrow. I'm planning on only taking a pill on days where it's cloudy/I plan to stay out of the sun. Don't want to overdo it, even though it may be hard to OD. 

#203 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

All,

In addition to its role in immune system including protective substances in skin, vitamin D is also important in normal glucose metabolism, it controls the release of melatonin and thus hyper pigmentation, it regulates the pituitary release of growth hormone. Allows minerals to absorb properly and metabolize in the body. Regulates normal cell proliferation, including skin cells. Additionally, vitamin D assists in the buildup of healthy tissue such as your bones.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#204 jezzabella114

jezzabella114

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:10 AM

Its winter for me at the moment and my skin has gone to sh**. Im taking 2000iu of D3 (day 2 is today) and when the sun comes out i try to soak as much of it up as i can. I really hope my skin clears like yours does.

#205 sonicx2218

sonicx2218

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

D3 was a no-go for me; I had better effects sitting in the sun for 15 minutes than taking pills. My solution was the quality of the water I was cleaning my face and body with. Tested the water and it failed. 

#206 Theac

Theac

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

As an update to my post a few months back.  I was deficient in vitamin D, and took 6,000 IU a day for 3-4 months.  Now my vitamin D levels are too high ('almost toxic') and my skin is no better.  

(By the way - be warned, if you take high levels of vitamin D for too long, you will get overcalcification of the bones, heart and kidneys, which can lead to kidney stones and kidney failure.)

#207 JustWantedtoShare

JustWantedtoShare

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

I came accross this topic last week and I have a very oily face.  It's been bothering me lately how shiny my face is.  I tried vitamin B3 from other posts recommending it.  tried moisturizers and face wash with lemon grass.  Tried prescription Retinol with the highest level 9.  I also tried OC eight, mattifying ge.  Anyway, none of it made any difference on my oiliness. 

I figured a bottle of vitamin of D3 doesn't cost much and it won't hurt trying.  After 6 days taking 10,000IU, my face had almost no oil.  It had a natural skin.  At least 80% of my face shine and oiliness was gone.  I don't know if this will continue to work.  I notice how much different my face look.  I was contemplating getting on Accutane.  If it stays this way, I'll be very happy.  Thanks for the post.  I know this won't work for everybody, but it's working for me. 

#208 sonicx2218

sonicx2218

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

I came accross this topic last week and I have a very oily face.  It's been bothering me lately how shiny my face is.  I tried vitamin B3 from other posts recommending it.  tried moisturizers and face wash with lemon grass.  Tried prescription Retinol with the highest level 9.  I also tried OC eight, mattifying ge.  Anyway, none of it made any difference on my oiliness. 

I figured a bottle of vitamin of D3 doesn't cost much and it won't hurt trying.  After 6 days taking 10,000IU, my face had almost no oil.  It had a natural skin.  At least 80% of my face shine and oiliness was gone.  I don't know if this will continue to work.  I notice how much different my face look.  I was contemplating getting on Accutane.  If it stays this way, I'll be very happy.  Thanks for the post.  I know this won't work for everybody, but it's working for me. 

I hope you realize you'll OD if you keep this up. That amount is to only be taken for extremely deficient people for maybe a week. Since you probably didn't get tested, you have no idea if that is the case. If it helps with oil that much, go in the sun for 20 minutes without sunscreen daily and you'll make the same amount of D without worrying about OD'ing (pun). 

#209 Mandie12

Mandie12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

I am in Australia and recently got random Blood test as I generally get done after I go to India on a holiday trip. I found my D3 level was really low- 9.3 and was prescribed Calcirol 60,000 IU by my doctor once weekly. To my utter surprise just after 2 dosages, all my skin cleared & even became smoother. I would like to point out that I had Acne problem since last 20 years and had range of antibiotic treatments & was put on Accutane at one point of time. D3 supplements came to me as blessing in disguise & it's doing wonders to my skin, making me even look better. I think it greatly reduces the sebum production and which is a contributing factor to acne. As some one also pointed out this- "to how much sebum your skin produces is your vitamin D levels; it's believed the oil is used in an attempt to "ready" your skin (it gets complicated, this is the best way to think about it) to absorb more vitamin D from the sun. And so when your body has a surplus of vitamin D your skin produces less sebum in response."
I believe the theory is true & I am sure Vitamin D in future be reliable cure to acne & we would not be requiring over the counter pricey medicines, good luck !!

#210 ZhenZhu

ZhenZhu

licensed esthetician 2004

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I cleared my worst breakout in a 20 yr acne battle with Rx Chinese herbs.

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

I'll have to read through this whole thread, but I got my bloodwork back today. D 1,25 (OH)2 total value is 31.  

I don't see the sun unless I must, for fear of photoaging, and I use sunscreen even if I'm sitting by a window. (I love my milky white skin tone!)  I have been waiting on an order of 5,000 IU D oral spray.  Will this be too much?

I was taking 400 IU's daily in my women's multi/prenatal, now taking 667 in my ADEK chewable.  The second link says to multiply that DVA x 7 and take that, but that's what I was taking if the half- life is 7-14 days. Am I just not absorbing the supplement due to liver deficiency ( an element of my my TCM diagnosis) or 20 yrs of oral antibiotics screwing up my digestion?  How likely am I to get vitaminosis on 667/ day and 5,000 extra per week?

http://articles.merc...thy-ranges.aspx

http://www.nleducati...in-d-do-i-need/

Interesting note on that link about sun exposure: "expose your body to direct sunlight without sunscreen but only when your shadow is shorter than your height" (7 months out of the year.) Direct sunlight = not for me!   

Edited by Turn0ver, 13 August 2014 - 06:58 PM.

• Clear Skin and Anxiety Maintenance Routine:
  • Supplements: Shi wei Bei Du Tang (powder by Sun Ten) and the Zhen Zhu An Chuang Pan (tablets by Guang Ci Tang)  both for acne+ other Chinese mood stabilizers. 
  •  20,000IU+ of Vitamin D/day (+ antioxidants and multi with minerals)
  • Diet: Ultra Meal and Orac Energy Greens shakes- no meat, coffee,  dairy, gluten or alcohol
  • Topical: crysanthemum and MSM baths and cleansing with Proactiv Deep and Kavi Coral on Konjac sponge to exfoliate, and Jason Aloe and Tea Tree and Hyaluronic Acid to heal and hydrate. 
  • Lifestyle: 8 hrs sleep, light exercise only, >1hr sun exposure daily, no fluoride toothpastes, no sulfate shampoos, clean shower/pillowcase.

#211 Byebyesebum

Byebyesebum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:53 AM

Hello! I chanced upon this thread while searching for a cure for oily skin and I want to thank Sebumsucks for sharing his experience and insights. I have very bad acne and extremely oily skin and i was on heavy dose accutane for a few months to get rid of my cystic acne before being prescribed a long-term low-dose regime (10mg per week) after my cystic acne has been eliminated.

During my heavy dose accutane regime, i remembered having headaches and feeling v low and my lips bled all the time because my lips' skin kept peeling. After being put to low-dose accutane regime, my acne was under control but my extremely oily skin condition remained and i had to blot my face EVERY HOUR. It was just so embarrassing and it got so bad that i didn't want to meet up with friends. Hence i decided to check out alternate solutions and found this thread.

I was very skeptical about this vitamin D regime and was even considering if there are fake users out there who posted successful stories or whether this vitamin D regime only works on others and not me as I've tried vitamin b5 and milk of magnesia with very limited success. I started out strong with GNC vitamin D 1000IU tablets at 10,000IU daily for 10 days and to my amazement, my skin was no longer oily! However my nose area was still kinda oily but thats all there is.

Im determined to continue at this dose and see if my nose area can remain dry when i finish my bottle. After that, i'll probably switch to the 5000IU softgels from NOW Foods because swallowing 10 pills a day during breakfast is no joke. With 5000IU softgels, i just have to swallow 2 softgels a day. My only concern is whether I will continue to see effectiveness with softgels as I've read that they might differ in terms of potency.

If everything works out after a few months, i'll stop taking accutane and also probably reduce my vitamin D dosage to 5000IU daily for maintenance. I'm really grateful to Sebumsucks for sharing his vitamin D regime here or I would not have known abt this. I thought i should pay it forward by posting my success with vitamin D as well and I will keep you guys updated on my progress after a few months.

I was researching about vitamin D toxicity and found this information from wikipedia which seems to suggest that 10,000IU per day is still acceptable:

"Suggested tolerable upper intake level (UL)

Based on risk assessment, a safe upper intake level of 250 µg (10,000 IU) per day in healthy adult has been suggested. "

However I guess everyone's body is different and we should still be cautious and gauge whether usage of such high doses will trigger any adverse effects on our healths, especially when these symptoms of vitamin D toxicity manifest such as dehydration, vomiting, decreased appetite, irritability, constipation, fatigue, muscle weakness and calcification of soft tissues.

Thanks everyone and I wish you guys success with this regime as well! smile.png

Edited by Byebyesebum, 16 August 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#212 alfredodixz

alfredodixz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Cure my acne o/

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

I've been taking this for approximately 3 months and it doesn't work!!!!!

I've been taking 5000 UI of vitamin D3 a day and it doesn't work

#213 crashoran

crashoran

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

I've been taking D3 for years and my blood levels are at 90 ng/ml. Still have acne and extremely oily skin. It doesn't help.

#214 Hoping for clear skin

Hoping for clear skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:05 PM

Hey there guys, I've been taking vitamin d3 (dry form, daily dosage of 2000 IU) for about a week now, and all I've experienced so far are new breakouts located around the mouth and chin areas (where I seldom break out usually). I've heard so many success stories about vitamin d3 that I thought I would give it a try, but it seems to have negative effects on my skin. I can't expose my skin to the sun because it turns red and irritated (I have hypersensitive and oily skin). Did any of you guys experience a "initial breakout" while on vitamin d3 pills during the first week or did your acne clear up right away? I'm thinking I should discontinue my intake of vitamin d3 if it still gives me new breakouts by the end of week 2. Also, my acne is not genetic (nobody in my family or even extended family has had or has acne) nor is it hormonal (I've had my testosterone and estrogen levels checked three times last year). I don't know what's causing my acne which I've had for 9 years since age 10. I thought I would outgrow it, but people keep telling me I won't, so I'm losing hope. Thank you for your replies, I appreciate

#215 mazgan

mazgan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hey there guys, I've been taking vitamin d3 (dry form, daily dosage of 2000 IU) for about a week now, and all I've experienced so far are new breakouts located around the mouth and chin areas (where I seldom break out usually). I've heard so many success stories about vitamin d3 that I thought I would give it a try, but it seems to have negative effects on my skin. I can't expose my skin to the sun because it turns red and irritated (I have hypersensitive and oily skin). Did any of you guys experience a "initial breakout" while on vitamin d3 pills during the first week or did your acne clear up right away? I'm thinking I should discontinue my intake of vitamin d3 if it still gives me new breakouts by the end of week 2. Also, my acne is not genetic (nobody in my family or even extended family has had or has acne) nor is it hormonal (I've had my testosterone and estrogen levels checked three times last year). I don't know what's causing my acne which I've had for 9 years since age 10. I thought I would outgrow it, but people keep telling me I won't, so I'm losing hope. Thank you for your replies, I appreciate

i didnt experience an "initial breakout", but i also didnt experience any change in my skin from taking vitamin d3.. so its not working for everyone.

its like alot of things where u hear about only the success stories, but u dont know for what % of the people who tried this it worked.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users