subcision tca

66 replies to this topic

#21 acnescar123

acnescar123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

is the loss of facial fat what makes my cheeks look sunkin in from the front view?

Here is pic that might be of help regarding subcision.  I know that it is different lighting in the before and afters but I think you can get a sense of what one can achieve with a multi modality scar treatment (she had subcision and fraxel).   

http://dallascosmeti...nescarring.html

They did also have a vid of the doctor and the woman pictured speaking on a local morning show but I can't find it.  Her skin looked great.  Obviously, some of those after shots are her modelling photo shopped pics but the candids look like she has had significant improvement.  She wrote that this was a year long process. 

Results like that aren't physically possible and those pics are full of crap IMO. You can never get rid of scars, only improve them.

451/mr matt - do you guys happen to know if its possible to do subcision on boxcar type scars (like the ones in the above link) or is it mostly reserved for rolling scars? I have scars similar to that and was just wondering if it made sense to seek out doctors who would do it.

Edited by acnescar123, 15 February 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#22 Rob_X_22

Rob_X_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

i think those pics could be real she doesn't even look like she has real major scarring to begin with ...

#23 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 68
About Me

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

matt or 451, thanks for sharing. I have a question for you. What did you use to do the suction with after your subcision? Do you have a link to where you bought it?

Thanks mate.

I used an Oreck hand-held vacuum sweeper that we already had at home. LOL.

It did the trick and Oreck's are known for their quality. I wish I had known about the subcision-suction method four years ago before I had my first subcision treatment.

#24 451

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

"451/mr matt - do you guys happen to know if its possible to do subcision on boxcar type scars (like the ones in the above link) or is it mostly reserved for rolling scars? I have scars similar to that and was just wondering if it made sense to seek out doctors who would do it."

I think it is possible to do subcision on the  scars pictured in the above link.   In fact, those particular before/ after photos changed my perspective about what types of scars can be treated with subcision. I was considering making an appointment with this particular doctor before I found my current derm.   As evidenced from the quotes below, Dr. Adler doesn't identify a specific type of  acne scarring that would respond well to subcision.  It seems he thinks subcision would be of benefit for acne scarring in general.  At least that is how I interpreted it. 

"Acne scarring can be compared to a balloon on a string. The scar is tied down - tethered, if you will - to the underlying tissue. Most doctors treat acne scarring with a one-step laser process, which inflates the "balloon" but does not release it from the tissue. The result is a smoother finish, although the scar is still sunken into the skin.
Dr. Adler's magical touch first unties the string to release the balloon. This is done through a simple surgical procedure called subcision. This is a very easy procedure, done in the office under local anesthesia. Once the "string" is released, imagine the "balloon" (scar) naturally floating to the surface. Then Dr Adler performs Fraxel laser which is icing on the cake and allows the scar to flatten far more than laser alone."

AS123, I do agree that some of those after pics have been retouched.  I wish they would have had her take the after pictures in the same setting as the befores but despite that I think she did have significant improvement.  

#25 451

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

48 hours after TCA PEEL:

My face is beaten up and greasy.  I feel bruised and have some swelling, especially under my right eye.  My skin is turning brown and has broken out in some tiny white bumps but I think this is just how my skin responds to things.  This would happen everytime I needled.  By day 2 or 3 after any procedure, I start to have a "WTF have I done" moment and this time is no exception.   Dr. Berlin encouraged me to call or come in if I had any worries or concerns (basically better safe than sorry).  I am going to see how things progress over the weekend but I think everything is going about as normally as I can expect after having acid rubbed all over my face.  eusa_doh.gif

Edited by 451, 16 February 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#26 Rob_X_22

Rob_X_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

what is suppose to be the worst day day 4? for peeling?

#27 451

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I don't know.  I haven't started peeling yet but today, for some reason, is a psychologically difficult day.  My face is a greasy, swollen, red/brown, itchy mess.   But again this is the normal progression after this type of procedure.  It just doesn't feel good.  Ugh.  eusa_boohoo.gif   Anyway, enough whining.  I cannot even imagine what ablative laser treatments are like.  I will keep everyone posted over the next few days.   

#28 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

451: Your symptoms are completely normal at this stage of the game. Your skin will continue to tighten and turn a darker color of brown while tightening up, crinkling, and then peeling like crazy on days 3 and 4. Matt

#29 451

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thank you Matt.  You are right.  Today is DAY 3 of theTCA PEEL and I can see I will be peeling soon.  I slept on the couch (as opposed to my bed as I had been doing) last night and kept my head more elevated.  That has made a big difference.  The swelling has gone down a bit and I got a better night's rest.   It seems that would have a been a common sense thing to do at the start but at least I know now.  eusa_doh.gif   The itching has reduced as well.  I think the restless sleeping was the cause of yesterday's "mood".   So here is what I have learned on Day 3:  Make sure to have somewhere to sleep where your head will be elevated and you can position yourself comfortably.   Sleep is vital to healing (and sanity).   

#30 Rob_X_22

Rob_X_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

hey matt i've taken a couple of nights off from retin a and my skin is super dry should i take a few more nights off ...i'm seeing great results though

#31 Rob_X_22

Rob_X_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

i really wanna do a peel ...can i order any tca peel ? i found one online for 30$ 25%

#32 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

hey matt i've taken a couple of nights off from retin a and my skin is super dry should i take a few more nights off ...i'm seeing great results though

Rob. If your skin is still dry take another night or two off. Ive learned it is better to work WITH your skin rather than AGAINST it. I believe rest breaks are good as they may allow some more collagen to grow in between the inflammatory inducing state of retin-a.

#33 Rob_X_22

Rob_X_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

ok yeah my skin is peeling or flaking pretty good today ...i guess thats why it was so dry hard feeling

#34 451

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

451: Your symptoms are completely normal at this stage of the game. Your skin will continue to tighten and turn a darker color of brown while tightening up, crinkling, and then peeling like crazy on days 3 and 4. Matt

Hey Matt, you nailed it.  It is Day 4 and everything you described is happening.  I am peeling and itching.  Today's mantras are "do not pick" and "do not scratch".  It seems everything is going according to plan.  The TCA peel recovery has been more intense than what I experienced with the subcision but most of the peeling should be done by this evening or tomorrow.   cheer.gif

Rob, now I can answer your question.  Yes, day 4 is when the magic starts to happen.  

Edited by 451, 18 February 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#35 451

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Day 5: Not too much to report.   I have been peeling a lot and should be done by tonight or tomorrow.  I am just letting my skin come off at its own pace.  Two things that don't mix with a TCA peel:  an obsessive/compulsive personality and impatience.  My cheeks (of course) are the last to peel and I want so badly to see what is happening under there.  But it will shed soon.  Patience. Patience. Patience.  The itching has finally subsided.  I am still keeping the skin very moist.  I have managed to get most of the vaseline out of my hair so that makes me feel a little more human.  Too soon to tell about the degree of improvement but from what I am seeing thus far I am optimistic.  If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.  I will do my best to answer. 

#36 Rob_X_22

Rob_X_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

i would like to do this ...does it matter where you order your peel?

#37 451

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Rob, I had my done through a dermatologist but Matt did home peels.   I bet he will answer your question soon. 

Day 6: Well I have basically completed the peeling process.  My face is very red and I don't know if the permanent results should be evident now or if this a wait X month(s) and see situation.  I am trying to withhold an opinion because if I had to make one today it would be one of disappointment.  Tomorrow I have a follow up visit with Dr. Berlin so maybe that will offer some clarity.  Then I am going to not think about skin for a month or so. 

Matt (or anyone that has experienced a TCA peel) What did your skin look like on day 6?  Did your skin improve over time after the peel or was it "what you see immediately after the peeling is what you get"?  Thank you in advance for your help. 

#38 Rob_X_22

Rob_X_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

yeah ...i may just stick with my retin a for now ...i thought u'd see great results to...

#39 panos

panos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Regenerating from the Core

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

i do self subcision for one chicken pox scar at the forehead..the problem is that the scar is being elevated with time but also the edges 

are being elevated...should i wait for the edges to come down(with microdermabrasion also) or should i do a home peel...?

thats why doctors after subcision do tca peel..but i bet you can resurface the skin with derma rolling or even stamping...any insights?

#40 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Rob, I had my done through a dermatologist but Matt did home peels.   I bet he will answer your question soon. 

Day 6: Well I have basically completed the peeling process.  My face is very red and I don't know if the permanent results should be evident now or if this a wait X month(s) and see situation.  I am trying to withhold an opinion because if I had to make one today it would be one of disappointment.  Tomorrow I have a follow up visit with Dr. Berlin so maybe that will offer some clarity.  Then I am going to not think about skin for a month or so. 

Matt (or anyone that has experienced a TCA peel) What did your skin look like on day 6?  Did your skin improve over time after the peel or was it "what you see immediately after the peeling is what you get"?  Thank you in advance for your help. 

The underlying skin that was revealed as a result of the 25 percent TCA peel was somewhat pink and very healthy looking. There was a little bit of residual swelling but not much. The collagen development process begins over the next several weeks and months.

I am a HUGE proponent of TCA peels myself - they are a good complement to subcision treatments but wouldn't do anything by themselves if used alone to treat deep rolling scars.

One thing that I have learned is this: Acne scarring requires a wide variety of modalities and time to see the maximum benefit.

In my case, multiple subcision treatments combined with dermarolling, chemical peels, TCA CROSS, laser treatments, topical vitamins A and C resulted in improvement that I could live with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users