Photo

Moderately Severe Acne On Combination Skin (Pics)

severe acne cyst

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#41 LillyRose7

LillyRose7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

hey there! Please don't get down about skin, its really not bad at all, i'm being honest. you are not a moon face or whatever it is you said you are - Your scars can easily be treated with lasers. Your diet is fine, you are doing nothing wrong but i noticed your acne is really only on the lower half of your face, a few doctors (and i have read) that this is hormonally related. Please get tested for pcos through an endocrinologist (not gyno). You mentioned you breakout halfway through your cycle, that is when there is a surge in LH. I also think you should consider switching up your BCP pill if you are on one, they aren't all the same. Some make skin worse, some just don't do anything at all.

#42 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

hey there! Please don't get down about skin, its really not bad at all, i'm being honest. you are not a moon face or whatever it is you said you are - Your scars can easily be treated with lasers. Your diet is fine, you are doing nothing wrong but i noticed your acne is really only on the lower half of your face, a few doctors (and i have read) that this is hormonally related. Please get tested for pcos through an endocrinologist (not gyno). You mentioned you breakout halfway through your cycle, that is when there is a surge in LH. I also think you should consider switching up your BCP pill if you are on one, they aren't all the same. Some make skin worse, some just don't do anything at all.

Hey LillyRose, thanks a lot for your post!
I will go to my doctor and ask about a PCOS as soon as possible. I always thought that my acne is related to my diet, but now I can clearly see that it's not. I'm not taking BCP and frankly I'm a bit afraid of it, especially after what I read about Diane35, but if it's the only option and wouldn't harm me seriously, I should probably take it. I was on Belara BCP a while ago, but it probably didn't suit me.
Also thanks for giving me hope that my scars can be treated by lasers... Do you think I should get some Fraxel done? Someone told me that I should do it asap, otherwise my skin will not be as elastic. Hope they're wrong, cause I will not have money for it any soon :/ 

#43 LillyRose7

LillyRose7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

forget Diane, i took it and had the WORSE side effects. Its been banned in a few countries last week. There is YAZ/Yasmin and belara as well which is fairly new but supposed to be good for acne. I take belara, i can't tell if its effective or not. I have to wait at least 3 cycles. I think clear up any existing ones you have then go for any resurfacing, fraxel is good, so is the CO2 fractional resurfacing. my bro had scars and marks similar to yours and he did a course of fraxel he had a lovely outcome. There are options. you don't need to suffer.

#44 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

The only way to actually shrink pores (not just the "appearance" of them) is laser (fractional lasers are most effective, though other lasers can have small benefits) and Accutane.

You can do "poor man's Accutane" which is taking about 50,000 IU of Vitamin A a day. Some doctors would do this in the 70s before Accutane really got going.

#45 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

green gables you make a good point with the vitamin a. i went to a wellness doctor that wanted me to take 112,000 IU a day and i got too scared and didn't do it. when i asked him about toxicity and things like that he said he had patients on 300,000-400,000 iu a day and they were fine but it made me nervous. i wonder what would be the amount for it to be toxic?

#46 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Girls, I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what is IU? How much is it in mg?
This "poor man's Accutane" sounds slightly more attractive than the real thing, hehe. I am taking A vitamin daily together with B complex and it says on the package that there's 4,5 mg of natural beta carotene, and 2,25 mg of vitamin A. Is it sufficient? 

#47 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Properly formulated Vitamin A and Vitamin D are always measured in IUs. If it's measured in milligrams, honestly I have no idea what that translates to but I doubt it has enough vitamin A to have an effect. 

Beta carotene is not the same as vitamin A. It has the potential to convert into vitamin A, but really beta carotene has only the fraction of the power of pure vitamin A. 

green gables you make a good point with the vitamin a. i went to a wellness doctor that wanted me to take 112,000 IU a day and i got too scared and didn't do it. when i asked him about toxicity and things like that he said he had patients on 300,000-400,000 iu a day and they were fine but it made me nervous. i wonder what would be the amount for it to be toxic?

It depends on who you ask....I mean really technically Accutane IS toxic to the body. This is why so many of the side effects resemble what happens when you get poisoned!

I have heard of people going up to 100,000 IU and being fine. 300,000 sounds excessive though. Again it's something you'd have to closely monitor your symptoms with. If you feel like you're going to die, cut your dosage. 

Edited by Green Gables, 18 February 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#48 hopeful26

hopeful26

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Pianina, I really don't think your skin looks bad, and I agree with PP that it looks like it's getting better!

You may have answered this already, but have you tried Dan's AHA? I think it might really help in evening out your skin's tone and texture. I've been using it for about a week and can already notice a difference. Spots heal a lot faster, too.

Just found this and thought it could be useful:

http://www.zeel.com/...best-treatments

#49 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Pianina, I really don't think your skin looks bad, and I agree with PP that it looks like it's getting better!

You may have answered this already, but have you tried Dan's AHA? I think it might really help in evening out your skin's tone and texture. I've been using it for about a week and can already notice a difference. Spots heal a lot faster, too.

I think I might have spoiled my skin already and it will not react to Dan's Regimen, I've been using Duac for about a year now (it has BP included) and Exuviance AHA cleanser for 4 months. I suspect that it wouldn't work for me. Or how do you think? 

#50 hopeful26

hopeful26

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I think I might have spoiled my skin already and it will not react to Dan's Regimen, I've been using Duac for about a year now (it has BP included) and Exuviance AHA cleanser for 4 months. I suspect that it wouldn't work for me. Or how do you think? 

I don't really trust the effectiveness of cleansers since they don't really sit on your skin. I would give Dan's AHA a shot! Different blends can also make a big difference. I was using a drugstore brand AHA occasionally before Dan's arrived and it was crap...my skin would sting all the time and peel. And that was only 8% glycolic compared to Dan's 10%!

#51 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Oh goodness, the shipping of Dan's products costs a fortune... No way I can afford it :/ the cheapest option is to order it and wait a month for it to come here :(

#52 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

My skin feels slightly better, but still with huge pores and visible red marks. I've been persistently using probiotics for a month now, and my stomach feels much better. Maybe that has an affect on my skin too. 
I'm thinking about getting some tan in solarium, because my skin is very pale.
Also, in the pictures you can see some awful dark circles around my eyes, due to not eating well lately and crying a lot (some personal problems and stress). To myself I look like 28 y o :/  

Attached Files

#53 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

your face is looking so much better!! you have really pretty eyes too!

#54 armadillo

armadillo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

AHAs in cleansers will have no effect whatsoever. These acids need to remain on your skin to work. I suggest a lotion to use every day anything between 8% and 15% or a peel [if you can afford it]

#55 hopeful26

hopeful26

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

I still think you look great. I would order Dans AHA from amazon and choose the cheapest shipping option. That's what I did. I think it cost about $21 in total for a HUGE bottle (to put it in perspective, the other AHA I bought was about 2oz and cost $40) and it arrived in about 3 weeks, to Canada. I can't promise you'll have perfect skin after trying the AHA (remember to build up gradually and use a sunscreen), but many people have found success with this product and I think it could help you. I also think the BCP is a good option to try. Talk to your doctor, for sure.

*hugs!*

#56 yeahsure

yeahsure

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

I took Beyaz for a couple of years and it worked quite well for my face. I have since changed to Mirena, though, because I am too forgetful for pills. But with Beyaz, I didn't have major side effects or anything. Best of the 5 or 6 BCPs I've been on (I'm 20 and I started on pills when I was 15 and starting accutane).

I break out mostly on my left jawline, and I've realized that that is where I rest my face on my hand. Since yours is concentrated on your right, perhaps you touch your face there? Pay attention to that sort of thing. I try to be really particular about what touches my face (but my darned cats do what they want!) because no matter how clean your hand is, it probably has some oils on it anyway.

#57 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I have decided to go on BCP after all. My skin was showing major signs of improvement lately, but it got much worse since yesterday again :( I noticed that I break out badly in the middle of my cycle, every month... So I'm going to a gynecologist on Monday. So don't want to be taking bcp again, but my skin is driving me crazy.  

#58 looking2thefuture

looking2thefuture

Rob85GINGE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Sorry to hear youre skins driving you crazy i know exactly how you feel having it imporve then bam one morning youre back to square one. Youre a very attractive girl and youre acnes not bad at all. I say sod u acne! Hope that goes well for you.

#59 hopeful26

hopeful26

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

You're probably breaking out around ovulation. I break out around ovulation like clockwork every month! I would try the BCP, but we are trying to conceive, so for now I'm stuck with the zits. You can take Midol for the few days around ovulation - it's supposed to reduce acne by reducing inflammation. I tried it last month and it did work!

Good luck on the pill!

#60 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

Sorry to hear that you are not seeing results. Based on your photos, your skin seems to be improving. Have you tried saw palmetto? I'm taking it as a last resort and to avoid BCP, and I'm gradually seeing results. To me, it's not worth the risks of taking BCP. You can't be on birth control for the rest of your life, and at some point the acne will return when you get off it, and maybe it will be even worse. So, if you are already hesitant to take BCP, I would recommend you look into some herbal remedies that will not mess with your overall health.