Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice Please (Pics Included)

71 posts in this topic

Hi WishClean, I am sorry as I did not read through all of your posts. I saw in one of your previous posts that you were looking for a more natural way to get rid of your acne and that you suffer from PCOS. Have you ever tried drinking Spearmint tea? Research has shown that spearmint can lower testosterone levels which may help your acne since it is due to a high androgen level. There are quite a few threads on here if you want to search for them. I also have PCOS and my acne is very similar to yours. I am currently on epiduo, and I don't know how I feel about it, sometimes good sometimes not so much. I hope this helps.

Hi milica, thanks for the suggestion. I have tried spearmint tea for a while, and unfortunately it didn't work for me...it just made me very bloated and PMS-y all the time. I'm trying out saw palmetto now, have you tried that?

>Thanks a lot,

I'll try the honey thing biggrin.png

Kyou, have you tried the honey mask? I tried the turmeric mask last night! I mixed it with yogurt. I haven't noticed a difference in my skin today, but maybe because it's the first time. How long do you leave the mask on for?

1 person likes this

Hi everyone, thanks for following this thread....I have had positive updates, and will post new pics/ progress when I get some time off work in a few days. I'll let you know of some things I did to improve the situation

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

Maybe I arrived late, but I still wanted to say this to you.

Diet really works well for a lot of people, and I say we should all try to stick to a low glycemic, anti inflammatory,organic diet, within reason of course!

However, I have found that with people that have been on long term antibiotics and other harsh prescription treatments, diet sometimes can only do so much to a damaged body inside and out. I would suggest sulfur if you are open to topicals. It's natural and you can buy it in a soap or try de la cruz ointment (it has propylene glycol, eh, but I still use it). Also, I have been hearing great, amazing things about hibiclens. Its that surgical soap doctors use that kills everything, my derm actually told me to use it on my face (perfectly safe in his opinion). He says its the only thing out there that kills both gram positive and negative bacteria. Just keep it far away from your eyes. I'm going to try it if sulfur does not work for me. I gave up on BP and SA long ago...as well as prescription treatments, so this is all the advice I can give you for now from my perspective. Good luck.

haha ok I will try it next time I have a banana...which might be a while since I'm doing the candida diet. Is the turmeric mask more effective you think? Does it stain afterwards?

Maybe I arrived late, but I still wanted to say this to you.

Diet really works well for a lot of people, and I say we should all try to stick to a low glycemic, anti inflammatory,organic diet, within reason of course!

However, I have found that with people that have been on long term antibiotics and other harsh prescription treatments, diet sometimes can only do so much to a damaged body inside and out. I would suggest sulfur if you are open to topicals. It's natural and you can buy it in a soap or try de la cruz ointment (it has propylene glycol, eh, but I still use it). Also, I have been hearing great, amazing things about hibiclens. Its that surgical soap doctors use that kills everything, my derm actually told me to use it on my face (perfectly safe in his opinion). He says its the only thing out there that kills both gram positive and negative bacteria. Just keep it far away from your eyes. I'm going to try it if sulfur does not work for me. I gave up on BP and SA long ago...as well as prescription treatments, so this is all the advice I can give you for now from my perspective. Good luck.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

wishclean,

As for scarring, I really have done nothing for mine unfortunately. However I have heard good things about vitamin e, aloe vera, and tea tree oil. I myself will not use tea tree oil on my face although I love the way its helped my fungal infections.

I think your safest bet is an aloe/vitamin e combo. Seems gentle enough.

wishclean,

As for scarring, I really have done nothing for mine unfortunately. However I have heard good things about vitamin e, aloe vera, and tea tree oil. I myself will not use tea tree oil on my face although I love the way its helped my fungal infections.

I think your safest bet is an aloe/vitamin e combo. Seems gentle enough.

Grocery list:

Hi WishClean,

I couldnt figure out how to rely to your question about scarring without quoting a lot of irrelevant quotes! when you say scarring, do you mean pits or red acne marks? The red marks leftover aren't really scars, and neem oil should help that. When it comes to hyperpigmentation, Retin-A is obviously the most commonly used Rx, but you can also take Vitamin A since thats what it is. Your body needs nutrients to heal, and you just have to give it time. Deep pits are sometimes lifelong, but scarring can be alleviated through laser and chemical peels, I believe. It's just not good to get chem peels while yuo are having an active break out. It may seem like its just killing all your infections but it could also be irritating you.

Are you on a clean diet? If you're anything like me, I have to stay really vigilant in what I eat and consume. surprised.gif

So, depending on what kind of "scarring" you have there are different treatments.

Hi WishClean,

I couldnt figure out how to rely to your question about scarring without quoting a lot of irrelevant quotes! when you say scarring, do you mean pits or red acne marks? The red marks leftover aren't really scars, and neem oil should help that. When it comes to hyperpigmentation, Retin-A is obviously the most commonly used Rx, but you can also take Vitamin A since thats what it is. Your body needs nutrients to heal, and you just have to give it time. Deep pits are sometimes lifelong, but scarring can be alleviated through laser and chemical peels, I believe. It's just not good to get chem peels while yuo are having an active break out. It may seem like its just killing all your infections but it could also be irritating you.

Are you on a clean diet? If you're anything like me, I have to stay really vigilant in what I eat and consume. surprised.gif

So, depending on what kind of "scarring" you have there are different treatments.

1 person likes this

Grocery list:

Well, the Neem oil that I bought it just Neem oil nothing else. But hey if it doesnt work for you, it doesnt for you! :) I'm currently using SkinCeuticals Phyto for hyperpigmentation. How is the saw palmetto? I'm thinking about starting that in addition to my B5, Spearmint and red clover intake. I have switched to drinking distilled water too. Since using neem my skin has been flaking off and not in a bad way!!

I wish I had more advice for you, I'm sort of at a stalemate with my treatment, seeing how it goes. I can say though that I havent developed any new acne like I used to, and any cysts that I feel usually go away by themselves. You don't eat sugar right?

Well, the Neem oil that I bought it just Neem oil nothing else. But hey if it doesnt work for you, it doesnt for you! smile.png I'm currently using SkinCeuticals Phyto for hyperpigmentation. How is the saw palmetto? I'm thinking about starting that in addition to my B5, Spearmint and red clover intake. I have switched to drinking distilled water too. Since using neem my skin has been flaking off and not in a bad way!!

I wish I had more advice for you, I'm sort of at a stalemate with my treatment, seeing how it goes. I can say though that I havent developed any new acne like I used to, and any cysts that I feel usually go away by themselves. You don't eat sugar right?

Grocery list:

Well, the Neem oil that I bought it just Neem oil nothing else. But hey if it doesnt work for you, it doesnt for you! smile.png I'm currently using SkinCeuticals Phyto for hyperpigmentation. How is the saw palmetto? I'm thinking about starting that in addition to my B5, Spearmint and red clover intake. I have switched to drinking distilled water too. Since using neem my skin has been flaking off and not in a bad way!!

Yeah, my skin is very stubborn and rarely responds to topicals...so frustrating. SkinCeuticals' phytocorrective was working for me the first few days, and then nothing....it actually clogged my pores a bit, although I was careful about only applying it to acne-prone areas.

Saw palmetto is helping, but I'm still trying to figure out the correct dosage for my body. How are your supplements working? I used to drink lots of spearmint tea, but all it did for me was make me bloated and did not help my acne. Too bad because many people have seen results with it.

Btw, what brand of neem are you using?

And no, I try not to eat sugar but I'll usually have a few ginger or peppermint candy drops (low sugar) or brown rice sweetened with stevia if I feel dizzy...my blood sugar tends to drop, so these help me keep it under control.

T

Yeah, my skin is very stubborn and rarely responds to topicals...so frustrating. SkinCeuticals' phytocorrective was working for me the first few days, and then nothing....it actually clogged my pores a bit, although I was careful about only applying it to acne-prone areas.

Saw palmetto is helping, but I'm still trying to figure out the correct dosage for my body. How are your supplements working? I used to drink lots of spearmint tea, but all it did for me was make me bloated and did not help my acne. Too bad because many people have seen results with it.

Btw, what brand of neem are you using?

And no, I try not to eat sugar but I'll usually have a few ginger or peppermint candy drops (low sugar) or brown rice sweetened with stevia if I feel dizzy...my blood sugar tends to drop, so these help me keep it under control.

T

Grocery list:

I'm sorry, I shouldve been more clear lol. I dont just live off veggies omg!! I could not do that either. I eat a lot of meat, vegetables, fish, and eggs. Basically high protein. There are mixed results in the studies on stevia, but it is said to be far more potent than sugar. Have you ever seen "Hungry for Change"? Its a great documentary that covers many things about sugars and it has MDs in it. If nothing else, it is very interesting and insightful! I eat lentils sometimes as well, since they are high in protein. Eating "clean" and organic are very important to me. I just checked my face, and I have some cysts on my chin. I also just started time of the month, so I'll wait a few days and see if it was from that. Its so hard to tell whether I'm purging or just getting zits!! As soon as I've got some money, I'm going to get a juicer and start REALLY packing in the green goodness.

I hope that someday I can reintroduce foods!! I miss many things. It's not that I'm hungry ever, I just miss things, especially my red wine!! But honestly at this point I am indefinitely on this diet. I'm 26, who knows, maybe my chemistry will change in the next few years and I won't need to be so strict. I'm really glad that I found this board because there is no one but people like us who really "get it"!! I think that acneic people must be the cleanest, most conscientious eaters on the planet LOL other than maybe diabetics. I have a doc appt this coming week, so I am going to ask for a blood test to see what exactly is wrong with my horomones. I'm fairly sure it's an androgen problem. I really do NOT want to take Rx meds.

Something else I eat, is spaghetti squash. SUPER low on the glycemic index and its great if you miss pasta!! You just bake it (cut up in foil) for like 40 min on 450 and it just spoons out into noodles. Take out the seeds first though lol. That, with ground organic beef or lamb and marinara with fresh herbs is delish, filling, and healthy.

These boards are great, its nice to compare and contrast, even if we end up with different results!! rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry, I shouldve been more clear lol. I dont just live off veggies omg!! I could not do that either. I eat a lot of meat, vegetables, fish, and eggs. Basically high protein. There are mixed results in the studies on stevia, but it is said to be far more potent than sugar. Have you ever seen "Hungry for Change"? Its a great documentary that covers many things about sugars and it has MDs in it. If nothing else, it is very interesting and insightful! I eat lentils sometimes as well, since they are high in protein. Eating "clean" and organic are very important to me. I just checked my face, and I have some cysts on my chin. I also just started time of the month, so I'll wait a few days and see if it was from that. Its so hard to tell whether I'm purging or just getting zits!! As soon as I've got some money, I'm going to get a juicer and start REALLY packing in the green goodness.

I hope that someday I can reintroduce foods!! I miss many things. It's not that I'm hungry ever, I just miss things, especially my red wine!! But honestly at this point I am indefinitely on this diet. I'm 26, who knows, maybe my chemistry will change in the next few years and I won't need to be so strict. I'm really glad that I found this board because there is no one but people like us who really "get it"!! I think that acneic people must be the cleanest, most conscientious eaters on the planet LOL other than maybe diabetics. I have a doc appt this coming week, so I am going to ask for a blood test to see what exactly is wrong with my horomones. I'm fairly sure it's an androgen problem. I really do NOT want to take Rx meds.

Something else I eat, is spaghetti squash. SUPER low on the glycemic index and its great if you miss pasta!! You just bake it (cut up in foil) for like 40 min on 450 and it just spoons out into noodles. Take out the seeds first though lol. That, with ground organic beef or lamb and marinara with fresh herbs is delish, filling, and healthy.

These boards are great, its nice to compare and contrast, even if we end up with different results!! rolleyes.gif

Grocery list:

I haven't seen that documentary...will it make me even more paranoid about what I put into my body? lol. I'll have to check it out, and rethink stevia.

Where do you get spaghetti squash? Is it sold in that form, or do you make it from scratch? It sounds delicious! I've tried gluten free brown rice pasta recently and it was pretty good. I'm trying to have some variety in my diet, but sometimes it's hard to find the time to cook every day.

I was going to have hormonal tests done and also check for vitamin deficiencies but they are so expensive. I wish health insurance could cover acne (or even PCOS) as a legitimate medical condition...most insurance companies don't even realize how costly acne-related tests are. I couldn't afford to get the tests done right now, so I'm just going by trial and error at the moment.

cool, thanks for the video...my cooking skills have been improving since I started cooking more rolleyes.gif Yes, let me know if you have any other easy recipes... I usually just stick to simple stuff but I would like to try new things

Grocery list:

Yo, question for ElectroPopKittie ha...are you still on the b5 supplement? It did not work for me, I was just curious how much you took, and if you are currently still on it, and seeing positive results. Thanks!

We need to feed our skin

as we'd feed our bodies

a delicate rhythmic dance

we all deserve to find.

Eminence Organics

-probiotic cleanser

-hungarian face mask

-citrus exfoliating wash

Acure Organics

-sensitive facial cleanser

(alternating face washes helps

so my skin does not become resistant)

FINISHED ACCUTANE

Month 1 40mg

Month 2-6 80mg

Retin A Micro every other night

Clindamycin every other night

Clindamycin during day under light 100% Pure Mineral Powder on T zone

NO DAIRY, NO CAFFEINE, NO SUGAR!

your acne looks EXACTLY like mine used to. i think you would greatly benefit from taking spironolactone.

i began taking spiro two months ago, and i am the clearest ive been since my acne began forming, 2 years ago. i am not exactly clear, because it takes a while for the medicine to run its course, but i know i will be soon. and i think we're very alike, i used to be completely obsessed with finding the new natural thing to try to cure my acne, and honestly i suffered so much emotionally that it cast a shadow on my life. taking spiro made me realize that all the crazy things i was doing to "prevent" my acne made absolutely 0% difference. gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar free diets, not letting anything touch my face, pillowcases, etc etc makes no difference if your acne is hormonal, because i just spent two weeks eating and doing everything that i thought would break me out and i haven't! so it took a while before i accepted that ive exhausted the whole natural route and that spiro was basically my only choice for right now, but yeah. think about it! it could do wonders for your skin. and by the way you're really gorgeous.

I forgot about this thread, this was a long time ago and now my acne is getting better without medication. I got tested for vitamin D deficiency and am now on prescription D2 and it's helping with depression and cystic acne. Sure, it would be easier to take a pill but you can't take pills longterm, eventually you will need to come off it and then your hormones will gradually become off balance again.

Grocery list: