Photo

Flaky/dry/oily Skin? Try This

shaving cream oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hello, I have been experimenting with Apple Cider Vinegar for the past 6 weeks and it has significantly helped my oily skin look better. I figured I'd put it up here and maybe others will have the same success that I did.

Remember that everyone's skin is different, and what worked for me will not work for everyone. That being said, I believe that this is one of the safer skincare routines available. Always use common sense whenever trying something new, and when in doubt discontinue use.

A little about my skin: extremely oily, mild to moderate acne, tends to get very dry and flaky in the winter time, a few scars from sports as well as acne, generally a dull complexion. I break out from most moisturizers, and certain shaving creams do the same. I would describe my skin as sensitive, as many products that are designed for oily skin tend to cause redness and over dry. I had very bad acne when I was younger, so it's quite possible I damaged my skin using strong BP products and prescription creams.

ACV Toner for a 16oz container (scale up or down as necessary)
- a little less than 4oz of Apple Cider Vinegar
- a little less than 12oz of water
- about .25 oz of Mint Extract (optional, solely to cover vinegar smell; try other extracts or essential oils as you like)

This is simply a 1:3 ACV to Water solution with a dash of Mint extract to knock back that offensive vinegar smell. I have used both raw, unfiltered, with the "Mother" ACV as well as the clear, filtered, and pasteurized ACV. Contrary to popular opinion, I found that for me the clear ACV worked better.
The kind I used most was (generic Target brand) Market Pantry Apple Cider Vinegar (clear, filtered, pasteurized one).
The mint extract I used was simply McCormick's Mint Extract.

Use
- Apply to a clean and dry face/neck with a cotton ball, allow to air-dry. Do not wash, wipe, or blot your face for at least 30 min to allow it to sink in. I repeat, DO NOT wash off after applying
- Apply twice a day, I use it before I go to bed at night and after shaving in the morning

What it did for me
- evened skin tone
- added a healthy glow
- moisturized without breaking out or greasiness
- after the initial breakout (more on this later), helps with acne
- slightly reduced oil production due to its astringent properties
- significantly reduced the appearance of oily skin due to overall healthier looking skin

Tips and other Info
- I experienced a breakout between during the second week of regular use. I attribute it to purging and your skin adapting to the toner. It was moderate at its worst, and was cleared up about 8 days later.
- The key to this toner is the ratio of ACV to water. Light flushing and redness may occur when applying, but if you face is red more than 15 minutes after applying then I strongly recommend reducing to a 1:4 ratio.
- There is not a linear relationship between the strength of the solution and its effectiveness. So stronger is not necessarily better. As stated before, your face should not remain red after it dries.
- This toner is great for balancing out problem skin, but it is not good at actually cleaning dirty skin. I recommend a gentle face wash or cleanser, I use Cetaphil Gentle Facial Cleanser when I shower, to clean sweat and dirt off your face and better combat acne.

Edited by CBIOT13, 08 July 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#2 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Great post, thanks for taking the time to put this on here. I hope it keeps working for you, I will definitely try it at some stage, although I'm going on a low-dose accutane course in the near future, maybe it's best not to combine the two?

#3 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yea I'd definetely see what Accutane does for you. It might super-dry your skin, making it very sensitive to other topical products.

#4 spamo123

spamo123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

CBIOT13, does your area have hard or soft water? How has the toner have an affect on currently inflamed acne? Do you put any BP or moisturizer afterwards?
I've been experimenting with 1:1 solution of ACV and filtered water...though I haven't had any redness issues yet...but I haven't done it for longer than a couple of days.
Sorry for the many questions!

#5 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

I honestly don't know whether I have hard or soft water. If hard is considered alkaline, I guess my university water is probably hard and at home I have a well so that's probably neutral. I haven't noticed a different though with my skin either way.
It had worked well for acne actually. It has greatly limited the number of inflamed pimples I get, it seems like now I just get a tiny whitehead every now and then, and they're gone in a day or two. The ACV will likely make your skin purge at some point, so you may notice your face get a little worse before it gets better.
And other than the ACV, I wash my face in the shower or after a workout with cetaphil. I used to use BP but it dried out my skin so much, especially in the winter. The BP was effective for back when I had bad acne, but when it starts to clear up you should back off the BP because I think it does damage your skin.
And no I don't use any moisturizer as they made me break out.

#6 LostAndDelirious

LostAndDelirious

Freedom at 21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

ACV has been helping with my skin since I started drinking it a week ago now. It has made my skin clearer, reduced redness, added a glow to my skin, and reduced oil. i highly recommend putting a tablespoon into your water and drinking it, i feel it gives more benefits.

#7 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I think you are imagining that, why would drinking a tablespoon of ACV a day do that? I've been applying it topically to my face for a few months and yes, externally it does wonders. Those kind of posts are misleading, getting people to drink that awful tasting stuff...

#8 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

I think you are imagining that, why would drinking a tablespoon of ACV a day do that? I've been applying it topically to my face for a few months and yes, externally it does wonders. Those kind of posts are misleading, getting people to drink that awful tasting stuff...

Actually she is 100% right bud. Do some research on it, people have been using ACV for that for over twenty years. It is very strong to drink and if done incorrectly can cause stomach issues, but the way that it cleanses your body and destroys bad bacteria has consistently been shown to improve overall skin appearance. The reason it is not used much is because it 1) tastes like crap and 2) there is not any long term studies done on taking it internally so its safeness has not yet been determined. But in moderation I'd imagine it's okay.

Edited by CBIOT13, 14 January 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#9 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

UPDATE:

Have currently been using this for almost two months as I originally described in my original post, and my skin has never looked better. My acne is all but gone, but I have not been completely satisfied with the oil reduction. It's good, but not great. By now it is safe to say that using ACV as described in my original post is safe and effective for most people in improving their skin.

BUT being the engineer I am, I have plans for another experiment targeted specifically at OILY SKIN. I will being testing various formulations of zinc oxide used as a daily mask to slow the production of sebum and absorb oil on the skin. Guys, this may be the holy grail here. My preliminary research into zinc oxide shows it's got great potential, I just have to figure out a way to use it without looking like your face is painted white LOL. It is very similar to titanium dioxide, so I may be messing around with that as well.

I will begin testing soon, and then 3 or 4 weeks later I will post my results in a new thread. 

Edited by CBIOT13, 02 April 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#10 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

UPDATE:

I'm not one to leave a thread I made behind, especially one that I still reference in current posts. I have still been using the ACV Toner for the last 8 months as described in the first post. My skin looks great, but it's still oilier than I'd like it to be. I have been constantly trying different products in two week intervals to see if anything else might work better, but every time I am not happy with the results and I end up coming back to this acv recipe to correct the damage my experimenting caused.

I no longer get inflamed white heads, which is great and I attribute this to the acv. I do get the occasional blind, red, tender cysts but in my opinion these are hormonal since the infection is so deep in the skin. But, I have learned to ice them and can get them down easily; and I only get maybe one every 14-21 days.

The only issue with this is the smell. The mint extract works okay in masking the smell, but it irritates my skin ever so slightly if I put too much in the mixture. At this point I have dropped the mint extract entirely, and I have updated that this is an optional part of the mix in the original post.

I currently am experimenting with cedarwood essential oil in the toner; trying to see what amount will cover the vinegar smell but not irritate my skin. 

I still highly recommend this as a way to balance sensitive, oily, damaged, and acne-prone skin.

Edited by CBIOT13, 08 July 2013 - 05:10 PM.