Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Oily skin.

Achievements

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Week 18:

I broke out a little bit but my acne still looks okay. My oil and blackheads are the same.

Same side effects, except now I'm getting the back pain. It doesn't hurt very much, so I'm not worried about it. That's really all I have to say. I think my acne and oil are going to stay the same for the rest of my course.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

• Probiotics 25 billion organisms/day

• Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser 2x/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#42 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Week 18:

I broke out a little bit but my acne still looks okay. My oil and blackheads are the same.

Same side effects, except now I'm getting the back pain. It doesn't hurt very much, so I'm not worried about it. That's really all I have to say. I think my acne and oil are going to stay the same for the rest of my course.

Have you ever tried any zinc supplements >30mg ? As far as supplements go for oily skin, they seem to have the highest overall success rate (I'd say 1 in 6 reviews across multiple sites report at least a minor change) with the fewest health risks. I'm still trying to decide my first 3 week test for the summer, and zinc looks like it may be it.

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/324606-flakydryoily-skin-try-this/

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327532-acne-redness-removal-trick/

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/329385-ways-to-use-milk-of-magnesia-for-oily-skin/

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/326345-oily-skin-research/

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327898-a-minimalist-approach-for-oily-skin/

#43 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Have you ever tried any zinc supplements >30mg ? As far as supplements go for oily skin, they seem to have the highest overall success rate (I'd say 1 in 6 reviews across multiple sites report at least a minor change) with the fewest health risks. I'm still trying to decide my first 3 week test for the summer, and zinc looks like it may be it.

Yea I've been on zinc gluconate for like 2 years. I started at 100mg for a month or two, then went down to 50mg for a while. Now I'm all the way down to 7.5mg per day. It helps a lot with my inflammation, but it never did anything for my oil.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#44 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

Try changing ur cleanser with something like lemon. Also use a b5/niacinamide serum.

#45 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Yea I've been on zinc gluconate for like 2 years. I started at 100mg for a month or two, then went down to 50mg for a while. Now I'm all the way down to 7.5mg per day. It helps a lot with my inflammation, but it never did anything for my oil.

You were on 100 mg per day for over a month? That's a lot of zinc man, I'm almost 200 lbs and I wouldn't take more than 50 mg for over a month lol. Good thing you went down in dosage otherwise that wouldv'e caused problems for you.

Bummer it didn't help with the oil though.

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/324606-flakydryoily-skin-try-this/

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327532-acne-redness-removal-trick/

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/329385-ways-to-use-milk-of-magnesia-for-oily-skin/

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/326345-oily-skin-research/

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327898-a-minimalist-approach-for-oily-skin/

#46 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Try changing ur cleanser with something like lemon. Also use a b5/niacinamide serum.

What do you mean change my cleanser with lemon? And where would one get b5 niacinamide serum?

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#47 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Week 19:

Well, I think I've been getting anxiety from the accutane, so I stopped taking it temporarily. It's been a little hard to talk to people for the last few days. When talking to people I would kind of freeze up and wait for them to say something first, instead of saying something myself. It's hard to tell if the accutane was causing this because it was more subtle than it probably appears in my last sentence. I've always been shy, and that happened sometimes anyway before I started taking accutane. Plus I spend a lot of time alone, and I'm sure that doesn't help. So I'm not completely sure that accutane was causing anxiety, but I feel like it was. And I can never be too careful with mental side effects. I can deal with physical side effects, but mental side effects are unacceptable. 

My last dose was yesterday morning, so now it is about 36 hours after my last dose. I already feel better in most aspects. My joints feel a lot better, and I don't feel like I have any anxiety right now, but it's hard to tell with something like that. I also got a medium sized pimple, which I haven't gotten in a while. It's almost like I immediately recover from the positive and negative effects of accutane after I stop. I hope the pimple was just a coincidence though, because that would totally suck if I start breaking out a day after stopping accutane.

As long as I keep feeling normal, I'll probably start back up on 20mg in a few days for the rest of my course. I just have to be really careful and make sure I'm not giving myself long term anxiety or anything.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#48 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

Week 20:

I felt fine since my last post, so I continued taking accutane at 20mg a day a few days ago. Now that I think about it, I think most of the anxiety was just from not talking to people very often, and only a little from accutane. I feel like there's a lot of accutane built up in my body now, and I don't want to hurt my joints or anything else, so I switched back to 20mg.

Everything is pretty much the same. My face gets a few small pimples a week, and looks pretty good. A lot of my oil is gone, but there is still a little too much. I'm still getting blackheads on my nose, but less than when I started accutane.

No new side effects, just the same as before except not as bad, since I'm only on 20mg now.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#49 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Week 21:

Acne is the same. My oil and blackheads, however, already got worse again after switching to 20mg. I stopped taking 40mg only 2 weeks ago. I knew my oil glands didn't completely shut down, but it appears they were just barely kept under control as long as I take 40mg. 20mg still helps, but accutane at this dose is not the answer for me. If I go high enough for it to work well, I get too many side effects and I can't take that much for very long. If I go low enough to avoid some side effects and be able to take it for a long time, it doesn't work well enough. I will continue to take 20mg until I run out and then maybe take a maintenance dose of vitamin a, but I will start looking for something else to add to the accutane. 

At 40mg my face looked pretty good. Not much acne, not much oil. I thought about acne a lot less and I felt almost normal. But now I feel some of the familiar thick, greasy oil that I used to get and I need to find another solution. This time I will try to stick to realistic things that can actually work like accutane, and ignore those useless claims that one random thing will cure my oily skin. I guess it's back to my oily skin research thread.

I think a similar course of accutane could work very well for someone with weaker oil glands, but it was not the answer for my oil factory of a face.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#50 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

Just curious, but how much mg of accutane have you taken thus far?

#51 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Just curious, but how much mg of accutane have you taken thus far?

This is something I should figure out anyway. I was on 20mg for 10 weeks, so that's 20mg x 70days = 1400mg. Then I was on 40mg for 9 weeks, so that's 40mg x 63 days = 2520mg. Then I went back to 20mg for 2 weeks so far, so 20mg x 14 days = 280mg. 

Adding it all together I get 4200mg.

For a normal course, we are supposed to get 120-150mg per kg of body weight. I am about 64kg, so 120mg x 64kg = 7680mg. I am well below the lower end of the recommended cumulative dose, so it looks like I'll be good for a while.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#52 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

do you take any multivitamins

#53 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Week 22:

I should emphasize that although some of my oil came back, my acne still looks great. It sucks that I'm more oily again, but 20mg of accutane, along with everything else I'm doing, is keeping my acne at about 90% clear. My oil isn't changing with time. It just increases when I decrease the accutane, and decreases when I increase the accutane.

Now that I switched back to 20mg, my side effects are not bad at all. I don't get dry skin anywhere anymore, and my lips are less chapped. I still get a little joint pain, but that's because I work out a lot. I don't feel any fatigue anymore.

Since I have to find something else for oily skin, I decided to give vitamin D3 another try. Last time I only took 4000iu a day for like 2 weeks, and then stopped so I could take accutane instead. But this time I started at 16,000iu, and then went right up to 20,000iu 2 days later. I know it's a lot, but I also know that I'm deficient in it and it will take at least a few weeks(probably months) at this dose to get close to toxicity. I just want to be sure if it will work for me or not, and I don't want to waste time waiting to see if it works. I have been on vitamin D3 for a week. So far, I have not noticed a reduction in oil or any other effects.

Edited by Omnivium, 31 May 2013 - 05:35 PM.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#54 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

This is awesome! I just started an ultra low dose regimen. Good to see some people doing similar stuff. good luck mate!

#55 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

This is awesome! I just started an ultra low dose regimen. Good to see some people doing similar stuff. good luck mate!

Thanks, good luck on your course too. Just don't use too little. I don't know how much you're using and how oily your skin is, but I think people with very oily skin would have to take at least 10mg per day to get decent results.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#56 Helton

Helton

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Have you tried fish oil for the joint pain?
I have been taking 20mg accutane with fish oil for close to 20 days and haven't experienced any joint pain yet. gasp.gif

And this stuff works great! My nose always have those tiny oil spot on my pores during the day, but now it's normal :D
Though still alot white stuff inside the pores though :(

Edited by Helton, 04 June 2013 - 01:08 PM.

Helton's Accutane Log:

http://www.acne.org/...og-58ft-140lbs/

: )

#57 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Week 23:

Acne, oil, and blackheads are all the same as last week. So are side effects. There still seems to be only a short term effect from the accutane, and no long term effect.

Still taking 20,000iu vitamin D3, but I haven't noticed any improvement yet.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#58 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

Week 24:

I started going outside this week to get some vitamin D from the sun as well. So from the accutane, vitamin D3 supplements, and sunlight, my acne looks great. I'm getting like 1 tiny pimple per day. I don't even care about acne right now. The sun might just be helping by slightly burning and drying my skin though, not necessarily from the vitamin D. I don't stay outside long enough to get a sunburn, but I can feel my skin a little dehydrated after being outside. My oil might be a little better, but like I said before, it's hard to tell with this kind of thing. It's definitely not as good as when I was on 40mg of accutane. But my hair isn't very oily 24 hours after a shower, so it looks like it's helping a little.

I'm not really getting any side effects from the accutane anymore except peeling lips. I did start getting some stomachaches, so I stopped taking vitamin D3 today to see if they stop. When they do stop I will resume taking the vitamin D3, but I don't know how much I will use.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#59 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

were you completely avoiding the sun at the first? I went in the sun a decent amount when I was on my 20mg 3 times a week dosage... but only for like 20 minutes max

I have light brown skin

#60 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

I wasn't purposely avoiding the sun, I just never wanted to go outside. But now I'm making myself go outside for some vitamin d and sunlight.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users