accutane low dose low dose accutane

68 replies to this topic

#21 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

It definitely takes time and you are on a low dose.  Give it the 5 month period before you write it off.  accutane will work to some extent for most people.

Good Luck

#22 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Oily skin.

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Week 8:

Acne is the same as last week. It improved after increasing zinc, now it's staying the same. Blackheads are also the same as last week, a little better than normal.

The oil on my face doesn't look like it's getting any better right now, but I have a suspicion that the hydrating cleanser I'm using is making my face look more shiny that it normally would. When it runs out I'll switch to a different one.

Side effects are still just slightly dry skin on a few areas of my body and peeling lips. The dry skin is not a problem at all, but the peeling lips are annoying. My upper arms got ashy yesterday, which is weird for a white guy such as myself lol. I'll take that as another hint that the Accutane is eventually going to work for my face, but we'll see.

This is taking forever and it still isn't worth it yet.

#23 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Week 7:

Still using bp every other day and 20mg of Accutane a day. My acne actually got better, but that was because I started taking more zinc again. I realized I my dosage of zinc has been too low for too long, so I increased it back up to 15mg of zinc a day and my inflammation decreased.

My oil is pretty much the same as last week. I should mention that my forehead and cheeks are the only places that get really oily, and my nose and mouth don't get that oily anymore. But it's been like that for like 2 weeks, so I'm not implying that my oil is still decreasing.

Blackheads are looking a little better again, but I won't get my hopes up.

Side effects are still just peeling lips and dry skin in certain areas. I say peeling lips because my moisturizer works great at preventing my lips from being dry, but it can't stop them from peeling. My skin is dry on the back of my hands and my forearms this week. My ears were fine this week, so I guess the dryness comes and goes in different places. If I don't moisturize the dry parts, I get that rash thing I talked about before. It looks like red spots, kinda like acne, but not inflamed and there's no pus in them. The rash goes away if I keep my skin moisturized for a day or two.

It's taking a long time to get rid of the rest of the oil. So far the Accutane isn't worth it, since the oil is only reduced and I have to keep moisturizing parts of my body and peeling my lips all the time. But I understand it takes a while to work(although I didn't think it would take so long just to get rid of oily skin) and I will keep taking it.

First off, congrats for taking the Accutane plunge. I've always been very scared of the drug because I have very dry skin. I feel like my whole body is just naturally dry - with the exception of my face where I have combination skin - dry and very oil. But winters are always the worst for me. I'll get dry, flaky, scaly skin on my legs, arms, chest, and ears. My hands split and crack and even bleed sometimes. My hair is like wire and my eyes are usually lightly bloodshot from being so dry. I'll actually have to use eyedrops all throughout the day. I had LASIK last year so that's made my eyes even drier. Anyway, I really want to clear my skin and get rid of the oiliness, the scars, the cystic bumps, the blackheads, everything you've said, but I've just been very hesitant about starting Accutane.

#24 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Just had another derm appointment, and she wants me to increase my dose to 40mg. She thinks 40mg really isn't that much, and I kind of agree with her, based on my lack of results so far. Here I am on my 9th week of Accutane and I still have an oily face and I'm still using benzoyl peroxide. If I did go up to 40, I would only take that much until it starts working, and then go back down to 20. Or I could just alternate between 20 and 40. I think I'll at least alternate between 20 and 40, but I may end up taking 40 every day.

#25 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

Week 9:

Acne is still ok, blackheads are slightly better than when I started, and oil has been the same for weeks now, stuck at around 50%.

Side effects are still just peeling lips and slightly dry arms, hands, and ears.

I decided to just go up to 40mg every day. I know that's not even a low dose anymore, but I'm not going to keep doing something that isn't working. I'd like to have normal skin without waiting 6 months. So I'll start 40mg today, on the first day of week 10. I can't believe it's been 9 weeks already...and I can't believe it's not working better yet. I will go back down to a low dose for maintenance probably a few weeks after my skin starts looking normal.

Edit: It turns out my derm wanted me to go up to 40mg but she didn't give me enough pills to last on 40mg until my next appointment...nice one derm. So I guess I'll alternate between 20 and 40 for one or two weeks before I go up to 40 every day so I don't run out of pills.

Edited by Omnivium, 02 March 2013 - 02:06 AM.

#26 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

Week 10:

Acne got worse. Could be from the slight increase in dosage or just because my diet hasn't been the greatest recently. Oil and blackheads are the same as they've been for weeks.

I'm feeling a little more tired than usual, and I have some stiffness in my knees. There's no joint pain, just less flexibility. My dry skin on my arms and peeling lips haven't gotten any worse. I'm actually getting better at dealing with my lips. I just rub off the peeling skin with water after I wash my face, and they don't have to peel again until the next time I wash.

Starting today I'm taking 40mg every day, since I have enough pills to take that much until my appointment. I know I've been taking it a long time without much results, but now that I'm on 40mg and getting more of the normal accutane side effects, I think it should start to really work soon.

#27 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Week 11:

I don't want to jinx it, but I think I'm improving now. My acne has been fluctuating this week, but right now it looks pretty good. I haven't broken out in a few days, and if this continues I will look pretty good by next week. My blackheads are the same as last week.

My face feels less oily, but it's still really shiny. I'm kind of confused by how shiny it is compared to how much oil there is. If I wipe my finger across my face when I haven't washed for hours, I barely get any oil on my finger. But my face is still really shiny all the time, even the second after I wash it. I don't know if it's because I use gentle cleansers, or if it's just my skin.

As for side effects, the dry skin on my arms and ears actually got better, and I don't have to moisturize them anymore. I'm still managing my lips okay, and I still get tired easier. My knees are still stiff, but there's no pain, and it's not affecting my workouts at all. The only new side effect is my eyes are slightly dry now. It's not bad at all, just dry enough to notice.

I'm feeling pretty good about my face right now, and I hope the improvement continues. I think I should have just started at 40mg from the beginning.

Edited by Omnivium, 16 March 2013 - 12:41 AM.

#28 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

My face feels less oily, but it's still really shiny. I'm kind of confused by how shiny it is compared to how much oil there is. If I wipe my finger across my face when I haven't washed for hours, I barely get any oil on my finger. But my face is still really shiny all the time, even the second after I wash it. I don't know if it's because I use gentle cleansers, or if it's just my skin.

I noticed the same thing when I took Accutane. I had always assumed that my skin was shiny because it was covered in oil, but when my oil production stopped after starting Accutane, my skin was still shiny. I don't know if you exfoliate much, but in my case I suspected that it could be from over-exfoliation. Either way, it's a frustrating thing to discover.

#29 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

I noticed the same thing when I took Accutane. I had always assumed that my skin was shiny because it was covered in oil, but when my oil production stopped after starting Accutane, my skin was still shiny. I don't know if you exfoliate much, but in my case I suspected that it could be from over-exfoliation. Either way, it's a frustrating thing to discover.

Yeah, I always assumed that also. I looked it up and the shininess seems to be caused by dehydrated and over-exfoliated skin, as you mentioned. I don't exfoliate on purpose, but I am using bp while on accutane, so that is really drying and exfoliating as a side effect. It looks like it's time to stop using bp and see if the shininess reduces. Did your shininess ever go away?

#30 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, I always assumed that also. I looked it up and the shininess seems to be caused by dehydrated and over-exfoliated skin, as you mentioned. I don't exfoliate on purpose, but I am using bp while on accutane, so that is really drying and exfoliating as a side effect. It looks like it's time to stop using bp and see if the shininess reduces. Did your shininess ever go away?

My skin does seem less shiny (when it's not oily) after stopping the Accutane, which makes me wonder if the medication was thinning out my skin. I still exfoliate because I get this weird, thin buildup of film on my skin that I can't help but rub off, so I still do have some shininess. Honestly I just used mattifying products to reduce the shine like Monistat Chafing Gel, Clarins Instant Smooth, and Milk of Magnesia.

#31 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Week 12:

I broke out a few days ago, but then it stopped again. So my acne isn't done yet, but it looks pretty good and I can tell it's getting better. My blackheads haven't improved much, maybe a little. I think I'll use blackheads to judge how much oil I have, since my skin is always shiny.

I don't know if my oil improved any more than it did last week. My skin is kind of dry and flaky in some places, but I can still feel a little bit of oil.

Side effects aren't bad. I'm managing my lips just fine, and I never really have to moisturize anything except my lips. I still get tired easily and have some knee stiffness, but it's not bad at all.

At the beginning of the week I finally stopped bp. My skin started to burn a little after using it, so it was time to stop. I'm pretty sure the accutane can replace it and keep preventing the acne. Now the only thing I use on my face is the cetaphil gentle cleanser.

#32 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Week 13:

I still get some pimples, but I'm getting less than I did a few weeks ago. My blackheads are not getting any better though.

I think my oil stopped decreasing again. I seems like it decreases right after I increase my accutane dose, but it doesn't decrease over time. I'm not going any higher than 40mg, so I just have to hope it gets rid of the rest of the oil soon.

My dry arms and peeling lips are doing fine. I'm getting a some shoulder stiffness as well as the knee stiffness. I was hoping to at least get rid of the oil without it affecting my joints. The accutane might start affecting my workouts soon.

I got bloodwork done and now my arm has a bruise right next to where they took the blood. I looked it up and it seems pretty common and harmless, but just really annoying. I'll try to put a lot of pressure on my other arm the next time I get bloodwork done so it doesn't happen again.

#33 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Week 13:

I still get some pimples, but I'm getting less than I did a few weeks ago. My blackheads are not getting any better though.

I think my oil stopped decreasing again. I seems like it decreases right after I increase my accutane dose, but it doesn't decrease over time. I'm not going any higher than 40mg, so I just have to hope it gets rid of the rest of the oil soon.

My dry arms and peeling lips are doing fine. I'm getting a some shoulder stiffness as well as the knee stiffness. I was hoping to at least get rid of the oil without it affecting my joints. The accutane might start affecting my workouts soon.

I got bloodwork done and now my arm has a bruise right next to where they took the blood. I looked it up and it seems pretty common and harmless, but just really annoying. I'll try to put a lot of pressure on my other arm the next time I get bloodwork done so it doesn't happen again.How 

How would putting pressure on your other harm prevent a bruise??

I was wondering how I had some discoloration on my left harm and it is because of the blood test! I think it is a healing bruise

#34 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I don't really think that bruising is anything you can really prevent, it's from how the nurse/assistant put the needle in the vein. An experienced nurse will be able to usually get it in good on the first try without rupturing the vein and causing any other trauma. But if you got a rookie they might have made a mess of the vein, which causes bruising.

Source: Personal experience and a family of doctors and RNs lol

#35 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

I thought the bruise might be from not putting enough pressure on the vein, and then having some blood leak out under the skin. But yea, it also depends on the nurse. I'll make sure to put more pressure on my vein just in case it helps next time.

I was wondering how I had some discoloration on my left harm and it is because of the blood test! I think it is a healing bruise

Is it on your forearm right next to the inside of your elbow? That's where mine is. Right now mine has amorphous purple shapes surrounded by yellow. What colors are yours?

How's your accutane course going? Did it get rid of your oily skin yet?

#36 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

I thought the bruise might be from not putting enough pressure on the vein, and then having some blood leak out under the skin. But yea, it also depends on the nurse. I'll make sure to put more pressure on my vein just in case it helps next time.

Is it on your forearm right next to the inside of your elbow? That's where mine is. Right now mine has amorphous purple shapes surrounded by yellow. What colors are yours?

How's your accutane course going? Did it get rid of your oily skin yet?

Oily skin is the last of my worries. I have pretty bad body acne and does not seem to be budging. How about you? Is your skin still oily?

Edited by whoartthou1, 06 April 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#37 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

Week 14:

My acne still looks pretty good, although I still get some pimples. Blackheads might be a little better. My oil doesn't look or feel any better than last week. Since I increased to 40mg my oil is down to about 20-30% of what it was before accutane. 

Still have dry skin on my arms and peeling lips that I'm managing just fine. My stiff joints don't seem to be getting any worse. One thing that did get worse is my tiredness. It is hard for me to get up in the morning, and if I sit down to study sometimes I'll just fall asleep. But then when I try to sleep at night it takes a long time to fall asleep.

If that gets worse it will affect my grades, so I may have to lower the dosage sometime. I was planning on lowering it anyway, but it hasn't even reduced the oil to a normal level yet. I hoped the accutane would lower my oil to normal without having to take a high dosage for a long time, but I guess that's not going to happen.

That bruise I got from my bloodwork is almost gone. It will last about 9 days total. That was pretty annoying.

Edited by Omnivium, 06 April 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#38 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hello mate,

It's a shame Accutane doesn't seem to be working like you wished it had. Hopefully you're one of those people where it only really kicks in after a few months. Don't give up yet. 

I'm about to start on a 10 mg/day course for however long I deem it necessary. I too suffer from extremely oily skin and blackheads, no acne luckily.

One thing I'd never do is combine Benzoyl Peroxide and Accutane. I would never use BP to start with. It ruins my skin because it's way too harsh. So I'd be careful about doing it again (I see you've stopped)

Good luck, stay healthy and keep us updated. I truly hope Accutane can solve every problem you want it to.

PS : the bruising can be annoying. The dermatologist who did my bloodwork was pretty bad. I was actually telling him about how the last time I had bloodwork done (for dental surgery), a nurse completely messed it up and left me with three huge bruises. I asked him if this was because I have thin veins, to which he replied the nurse must have been pretty bad and it was all her fault and I shouldn't worry. An hour later I was looking at a huge bruise the dermatologist gave me.. Guess he wasn't very good either.

#39 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

Week 15:

My acne is looking good. Usually I would pick at my face a little every morning and night, but most of the time there's just nothing to pick at now. I'm getting just a few pimples a week.

I'm still getting blackheads and some oil, though. I thought the accutane was supposed to get rid of the oil first, then acne, but whatever. I'm fine with improvement in either. It doesn't look like my oil is improving, and my skin is still shiny.

Side effects are the same as usual, but I started getting some actual joint pain in my knees. This is probably worsened by my working out with heavy weights all the time. When I was doing squats a few days ago my knees felt like they couldn't handle much more weight, like if I went up 20 more pounds I would have hurt my knees. At first I thought that was unacceptable and I would have to reduce the dosage, but I also want to give the accutane a chance to work. So I'll continue to use 40mg, but I may end up lowering the dose soon.

#40 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Week 17:

I've been busy with school, so I forgot to update last week and I almost forgot another week.

My acne is pretty much the same. I get some pimples, but my acne looks pretty good. My oil and blackheads are pretty much the same also. My face is kind of dry even though it is still oily, so I tried using moisturizer on it. I noticed the moisturizer does make my face look a lot more shiny, but it still looks shiny without moisturizer.

I'm still getting the same side effects. I'm feeling pretty tired a lot of the time, but none of the other side effects got worse.

I'm just going to finish the course on 40mg. I know I wanted to do a low dose originally, but even 40mg doesn't get rid of all the oil. And I've been taking 40mg for months now, so I might as well go for the cumulative dose instead of just taking it for a long time like I originally wanted to. Plus I really want to be done with accutane. It's such a hassle having to get bloodwork done every month, go to the dermatologist every month, and get a prescription from the pharmacy with a million birth defect warnings on it every month. When I'm done with accutane, depending on how much I took I may transition to a maintenance dose of vitamin a to try to keep the oil away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users