49 replies to this topic

#41 IWTKM

IWTKM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:28 AM

2 months post Accutane

Skin is still perfect. During Accutane my skin got very smooth (no pores) and stayed that way for about a month, but that went away and it's back to normal now except without any acne. I have gotten a few spots since I came off but nothing major. I am using Atralin to prevent future breakouts, which is .05% tretinoin gel, which is pretty strong. I haven't noticed any significant skin dryness.

If there was any doubt in my mind before, there is none now, and no matter what anyone tells you ACCUTANE CAN CAUSE MOOD SWINGS. Obviously everyone's experience is going to be different but for me, these were very pronounced and about 2 weeks after I came off Accutane I stopped experiencing them. If you are considering Accutane, definitely take this side effect seriously. My libido is back to where it was pre-Accutane, maybe a little lower.

The only reason I would ever regret taking Accutane would be if the acne came back all the way or most of the way. I might consider taking the drug again if it does, but I would definitely keep this experience in mind.

#42 IWTKM

IWTKM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

2 months post Accutane

Just some things to add on to my previous post. 

All of my lifts lowered or stayed the same for the 6 month period I was on the drug, but now they are increasing again. 

I got a big gash on my shin right before I started Accutane. It was the kind that takes about a month to heal completely. It didn't and there is now a probably permanent quarter sized scar on my shin. 

#43 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

IWTKM, what antibiotic were you using which cleared you? Also, did you have oily skin when taking the antibiotic?

I'm on oxytetracycline with duac once daily gel prescribed by my doctor, however I don't think it will do much because of my oily skin, and that's why I want to go on accutane... I guess I just want to know if the antibiotic I'm on is effective for people who have oily skin as well as acne.

I am currently taking 2 x 250mg oxytetracycline tablets twice per day and at night apply Duac Once Daily Gel. Both of these have been prescribed by my doctor.

#44 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:12 AM

IWTKM, what antibiotic were you using which cleared you? Also, did you have oily skin when taking the antibiotic?

I'm on oxytetracycline with duac once daily gel prescribed by my doctor, however I don't think it will do much because of my oily skin, and that's why I want to go on accutane... I guess I just want to know if the antibiotic I'm on is effective for people who have oily skin as well as acne.

Antibiotics won't reduce oil/sebum production. Sebum production is largely under the control of sex hormones (both androgens and estrogens) and there is also a genetic/hereditary component to it.

http://dermnetnz.org/acne/sebum.html

http://www.acne.org/...n/#entry2375086

The only treatments that have consistent scientific evidence to decrease oil/sebum production are hormonal treatments (only used in women) such as spironolactone and Accutane.

http://www.acne.org/...attach_id=35522

Good luck

Edited by biggs881, 24 August 2013 - 04:59 AM.

#45 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

Antibiotics won't reduce oil/sebum production. Sebum production is largely under the control of sex hormones (both androgens and estrogens) and there is also a genetic/hereditary component to it.

http://dermnetnz.org/acne/sebum.html
http://www.acne.org/...n/#entry2375086

The only treatments that have consistent scientific evidence to decrease oil/sebum production are hormonal treatments (only used in women) such as spironolactone and Accutane.

http://www.acne.org/...attach_id=35522

Good luck

Thanks, but I meant that would the antibiotics actually work if you have oily skin? I am staying positive though.

I am currently taking 2 x 250mg oxytetracycline tablets twice per day and at night apply Duac Once Daily Gel. Both of these have been prescribed by my doctor.

#46 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

Possibly, but they would likely only ever control your acne, not put it in permanent remission. Once you go off antibiotics, the underlying issue remains (oily skin) and thus a relapse is likely.

Edited by biggs881, 24 August 2013 - 06:28 AM.

#47 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

Possibly, but they would likely only ever control your acne, not put it in permanent remission. Once you go off antibiotics, the underlying issue remains (oily skin) and a relapse is likely.

Yep, I know my acne will come back if I ever do become clear and I stop the antibiotics. My doctor was actually telling me that I'd stay on the biotics for a year. I kinda want the antibiotics to cure me and give me clear skin, but I kinda want them to not work, so I could persuade my doctor to refer me to a derm to be put on accutane to cure my acne and oily skin. I'll always have oily skin on the biotics, but yeah now I'm just blabbing on...

#48 IWTKM

IWTKM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Clear My Skin, I was on Minocycline for about 5 months. During this time I was also using Ziana gel and a sulfur body wash. I saw pretty minimal but still noticeable improvement during that time. 

5 months post Accutane:

Remission usually occurs (if it does) around 6 months after you come off the drug. My skin is still very good. Face and neck are perfect, chest is perfect, and I get about 1 small pimple a week on my  back which is barely noticeable after about 3 days. It's been this way since I came off the drug.

I still have a slightly low libido, but it may just be in my head. On top of that I have dry skin after showering but it's not a big deal at all.

The main point this thread gets across is that mood swings are undeniably associated with this medicine and they aren't a joke.

#49 IWTKM

IWTKM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

7 months post Accutane:

No updates since the last post, which is a good thing. I keep posting because when I was debating whether to take Accutane it was frustrating that I couldn't find any threads that went past the 'done' point. 

#50 IWTKM

IWTKM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

More than 1 year post Accutane:

Still no updates. I get the occasional spot. I do not regret taking Accutane at all but I can't guarantee your experience will be like mine. If my acne does not come back (I am doubtful it will) then I am 100% satisfied. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users