sulfur adult acne doxycycline doctor recommended shaving cream

No replies to this topic

#1 leaf

leaf

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I'm a male in my 20's am finally able to gain some control over my long battle with acne since age 14. The past 6 years have been a never ending cycle of OTC products and dermatology visits. I've tried every product from every brand such as Proactive to Clean&Clear, Neutrogena, Oxy, ZapZyt, etc. When that didn't work, I started seeing the dermatologist who had be doing Dove soap, Retin-A, and Doxycycline. When that stopped working, I played around with regimens using Dial gold bar, Witch Hazel, Sulfur Clay Masks, and Vitamin Suppliments.

I went to see the family doctor last week for an unrelated problem, and asked about acne. He put me on Doxycycline and said to wash my face with a sulfur-based soap. I'm using the DermaKlear Akne Treatment soap with sulfur but I know there's also Grisi brand, Grandpa's Thylox bar, and Joesoefs sulfur soaps, which would probably be cheaper if I could find them!

I know there's also sulfur masks like Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask, the Proactiv Mask, Acne-Free Suflur Mask, etc.

Also, they have topically applied sulfur ointments like the de la Cruz that comes in a tub at Walgreens.

So, my question, would it be better to use the soap, mask, and ointment together or just the soap? Would it be too drying/irritating to use all three in combination?

Before I saw the doc, I was washing twice daily with Dial gold bar and following with Witch hazel astringent. I used the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask once a week. To shave, I first apply Noxzema and then just a basic shaving cream for extra protection (since I tend to have razor irritation). This worked descently, probably as good as it's going to get for right now. It's never been 100% clear!

What are you guys' thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users