Photo

20 Never Had A Pimple Before

fish oil zinc milk thistle steroid makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#21 Jessie09

Jessie09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I am no expert on PCOS, but my OB-Gyn said it can happen to women who are on the low-end of their weight range. The doctor told me that if I exercise less and had a bit more body fat, my hormones may normalize but there is no way to know for sure. I don't plan to stop exercising, so I do my best to make sure I'm eating well. That can be hard with my sweet tooth and coffee addiction: ) After experiencing some bad breakouts when I lost a few pounds, I think it's not worth being really skinny if it means having terrible skin. 

That's strange your doctor won't prescribe you birth control because you smoke. Maybe you could see someone else who would... I experienced clearer skin on Ocella (generic Yaz) and Ortho Tri-Cyclin but I was also extremely nauseated and had to stop taking them. Hopefully one of those will work for you. I am now using the  Climara Patch and taking a low dose of Spiro. I'm hoping to get off the Spiro if I can. For me, it was only a short-term fix because I have low levels of estrogen and progesterone. But some people love Spiro, so you could try it. I have an extra pack of Ocella I never used. Too bad I can't give it to you : )

#22 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yaz has had better clinical results for acne than Ortho Tri Cyclen

I just looked up the Yaz pamphlet and it says very specifically do NOT take Yaz if you smoke. Your doctor is just being smart...doesn't want to get sued when you die of a complication.

I think you are gonna have to quit the smoking now to get your life on track. Get the nicotine patch if you can't do it cold turkey.

#23 Shannanigunz

Shannanigunz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

I feel your pain! I never had acne before, and now am dealing with it in my 20s. I've lost weight, stressed, "had pcos", then after a second look the doctor said no to pcos.
I was put I ortho tri cyclen (I am also a smoker and it was easy to get prescribed) and let me just say.... The initial breakout made my skin worse than before I had even started taking that pill.
If I had to do it all over again, I would opt for yasmine. Anti-Andronic pills are more effective than just low-Andronic BCPs. At least, that's the information I gather from the hundreds of reviews and countless articles I've read.
I believe **fingers crossed** that my skin is finally starting to calm down after my fourth month of being on ortho tri cyclen, but it's a very painfully slow progression. Most people say after the initial breakout, they clear up within 4-6 months. But GAWD did that IB suck... Idk if I could go through that again.
People on Yaz and Yasmine seem to like it more, so I would go for that if you can, and try to cut back in smoking. I know, I know, it's hard. I'm still smoking myself. But if it helps you get awesome BCPs and clears your skin, then I'd say its worth it.

#24 Baladii

Baladii

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Crazy thing is I was way insecure when I had perfect body and clear skin I am the last person who can deal with this I'm really not strong enough or confident enough to pull off the changes that can happen ( and skin wise have already happened). :/ a lot of other stuff is going on too and I'm so freaking poor and an going to lose my health insurance the end of this month so I'm really leaning towards hollisitc solutions here. Please of anyone knows I will be more grateful than I can say.

You ARE strong enough, you just don't know it yet, seriously =)

You really ought to check THIS out, it's an ebook written by a psychodermatologist that has been circulating throughout the forums. Being the skeptic that I am this still makes a lot of sense and resonates with me on a very deep level. He describes the connection between immune functioning, emotions and our skin in an entirely new light. Hope it helps you. Best of luck to you beautiful.

Edited by Baladii, 01 March 2013 - 06:52 PM.