Photo

Just Wanted To Let Everyone Know About Zinc Oxide

zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#41 Cal07

Cal07

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

The Up & Up brand has parfum in it, i take it it will probably do more damage then good and clog my pores since it has that in it

#42 Acnegoaway54

Acnegoaway54

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

found some amazing stuff on omega 3's and chromium today. heres the links:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-brewers-yeast-for-acne.htm

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2010/11/acne-depression-omega-3-vitamins-and.html

first, i found a study in germany where brewers yeast cured acne after 5 months. i take brewers yeast when i lift for the protein content but i don't take it everyday. it is beleived it works because it balances the insulin levels. I will start taking it everyday.

also the second article is amazing!!! look at these before and after pics of this girl who took omega 3 pills!

heres the before: http://www.ncbi.nlm....511X-7-36-1.gif
heres the after:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/instance/2577647/bin/1476-511X-7-36-2.gif

that is amazing! also look at this quote:

"Acne is accompanied by the overproduction of Sebum, a waxy oil, in addition to inflammation, hormonal shifts, and infection. Inflammation is one of the earliest manifestations of the disease, particularly mediated by a leukotriene called LTB4. This inflammatory chemical helps up-regulate sebum production, and you might be interested to know that the omega 6 fatty acid derivative arachidonic acid is made into LTB4, while the omega 3 fatty acid EPA (from fish) inhibits the conversion of arachidonic acid to LTB4. A study of 1000 teenagers in North Carolina showed lower incidence of pustules, acne cysts, and oily skin in those teenagers consuming the most fish. Another study showed that patients with acne ate low amounts of seafood."

wow! i am not going to search for these studies because i believe they exist! i have seen people say fish oil helped their acne but i had no idea that omega 3 inhibited ltb4 which causes too much sebum!!!!! this is amazing!! i will start taking 2 tablespoons fish oil a day!

#43 Acnegoaway54

Acnegoaway54

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

everyone take a look at this study on ncbi: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18618363

here is a copy:
"The acid skin surface pH has antimicrobial activities. Increased growth of Propionibacterium acnes contributes to the pathogenesis of acne. Therefore, the pH of inflammatory acne lesions was determined prior to and after lesional acidification employing Herpifix (Courage + Khazaka, Cologne, Germany), a microphoretic system. The pH was correlated with the number of acne lesions. A total of 30 volunteers with acne vulgaris participated in this crossover study applying either Herpifix or a dummy to inflammatory lesions. Prior to treatment, the pH of acne lesions was 5.7 +/- 0.2 (mean +/- SD) and 22 lesions (mean +/- 10) were counted in an 8 x 8 cm(2) facial surface area. Fifteen volunteers (group A) used Herpifix first for 3 weeks and then the dummy, while the other group of 15 volunteers (group B) used the dummy first and then Herpifix. In group A, the lesional surface pH and number of lesions decreased (p < 0.01) initially. When the dummy was used over a second 3-week treatment period, the skin surface pH and number of acne lesions increased. Findings for group B were vice versa. When both groups were compared at the end of the study, a significant difference in pH values (p < 0.001) and the number of acne lesions (p < 0.05) was obtained. Herpifix may be considered as a new therapeutic option for inflammatory acne.

basically lowering the ph of our skin can kill the bacteria. so what i am doing is applying apple cider vinegar topically to my skin during the day. apple cider vinegar has malic acid. this stuff is great for acne because it is an AHA. Take a look at this study on AHA's: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20461041
here is the conclusion of that study: "The results of this study, while confirming the high tolerability and efficacy of this AHA cream in the treatment of mild/moderate acne, reasonably suggest its possible use also in monotherapy. Furthermore, its use can be reasonably hypothesized as a maintenance treatment after specific pharmacological treatment even in more severe acne types."

the malic acid in acv is good for acne but the acidity of acv lowers skin ph eventually. By putting it on topically you can mimic an AHA which also gets rid of wrinkles and you lower the ph of your skin, thereby killing bacteria!

#44 JWaltersRN

JWaltersRN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Great info! I already use ACV diluted in green tea as a toner and it's great!
It can be a bit drying, so watch out for it, and dilute further if you find this is the case. It's also fantastic for perioral dermatitis. I applied full strength to the 2 spots of dermatitis and it was GONE the next day. I have 2 inflamed spots where I picked at the dermatitis, so that's on me!

No change yet from the zinc oxide and this is day 5. I have 5 cysts remaining on my left cheek, and everything else is still healing. I think it has helped some of the hyperpigmentation, since it looks less like raw hamburger and just looks like cystic acne. So maybe it's improving that.

I am not putting anything on today besides the Hemp seed oil. My skin is so dry and flaky from the SA peel and the Differin combined with Spiro oral, that I can't wear make up. I look like my face is made out of paper. Gross. So I'm just giving it a day to hydrate, so I can wear make up to the NYE party tonight.

30 years old
Caucasian Female
Medium Skin Tone
Cystic and Superficial Acne, Whiteheads, Pustules, Blackheads and clogged pores: OH MY!
Severe hyperpigmentation to cheeks and chin

Morning[/]
OCM: 70% Castor Oil, 30% Hemp seed oil, 5 drops Lavender EO (started 11/1/12)
Moisturize with Hemp oil or Say Yes to Carrots SPF 15 moisturizer

Night
OCM: 70% Castor Oil, 30% Hemp seed oil, 5 drops Lavender EO

200mg Spironolactone (started 12/19/12)
Differin .1%
Hemp oil or Emu oil for moisture

Weekly

20% Salicylic Acid Peel (once per week)
Manuka Honey after peel 

Manuka Honey and ginger once per week.

#45 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

My husband recently had localized outbreak of Shingles, and his doctor prescribed zinc oxide cream to heal the break out. He picked up a CVS brand with 40% zinc oxide and it worked very well but smelled awful! I've been on the lookout for a high percentage zinc oxide cream without fragrance ever since I saw his results and read about the healing effects of topical zinc oxide. Finally, I found a product last week called Baby by Avalon. It has 21% zinc oxide and is unscented and has good ingredients in it. In 2 days t cleared up an under-the-breast rash that I have been battling for years. I'll see if my son is willing to give it a try on his acne and report back. Here's a link:
http://www.avalonorg...inc-diaper-balm

ichance23 - What was the severity of the acne you had that cleared up with topical zinc oxide?

Edited by gingergirl22, 31 December 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#46 Acnegoaway54

Acnegoaway54

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

My husband recently had localized outbreak of Shingles, and his doctor prescribed zinc oxide cream to heal the break out. He picked up a CVS brand with 40% zinc oxide and it worked very well but smelled awful! I've been on the lookout for a high percentage zinc oxide cream without fragrance ever since I saw his results and read about the healing effects of topical zinc oxide. Finally, I found a product last week called Baby by Avalon. It has 21% zinc oxide and is unscented and has good ingredients in it. In 2 days t cleared up an under-the-breast rash that I have been battling for years. I'll see if my son is willing to give it a try on his acne and report back. Here's a link:
http://www.avalonorg...inc-diaper-balm

ichance23 - What was the severity of the acne you had that cleared up with topical zinc oxide?

my acne consists of really small cysts that can last a week or a week and a half and i would get about 5 new whiteheads a day that would last about 4 days. they were all over the place but especially under the mouth and next to the sides of my eyes and my left cheek.
on my back i have these really large pimples that usually last 1 week.

The zinc oxide has cleared everything. i just have one small cyst-like pimple on my right eyebrow today and one small whitehead that is nearly dry under the left side of the mouth. The zinc oxide is great because if any acne does come up then it stops it immediately from becoming any bigger or more developed. I think I will be 100% clear very soon.

I found this study showing that zinc oxide is as effective as benzoyl peroxide: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10671963

here is a copy:

"Forty-one subjects completed a double-blind controlled randomized study comparing the following: (i) Nels cream (containing chloroxylenol and zinc oxide); (ii) 5% benzoyl peroxide cream; and (iii) the vehicle of the Nels cream. Patients applied the medications twice daily for 8 weeks. At the end of the test period there was no significant difference in the reduction of inflammatory and noninflammatory lesion counts achieved by Nels cream and benzoyl peroxide. Both creams proved superior to the vehicle. Efficacy grading by subjects and investigators showed no significant difference between Nels cream and benzoyl peroxide. However, side-effects such as peeling and dryness caused by the treatment were significantly less in the Nels cream group."

this is great stuff and why i chose it in the first place. so i expect to see the full results of this after 2 months. I have only been on it for 9 days and my skin has not been this clear since i was on minocycline and differin. It's crazy how fast it worked.

Edited by Ichance23, 31 December 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#47 Acnegoaway54

Acnegoaway54

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

just found this on the relationship of vitamin E and A levels to acne. it says that low levels of both causes acne. here it is: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16681594

"Vitamin A and E are lipid soluble antioxidants that are necessary for our health. Deficiency in these vitamins can cause serious diseases. Administration of vitamin A and E to patients with acne was shown to improve their acne condition.
AIMS:

To test the relationship between plasma vitamin A and E levels and acne.

METHODS:

Plasma vitamin A and E concentrations were determined by high performance liquid chromatography in 100 newly diagnosed untreated patients with acne and were compared with those of 100 age-matched healthy controls. Patients were carefully graded using the Global Acne Grading System.

RESULTS:

We found that plasma vitamin A concentrations in patients with acne were significantly lower than those of the control group (336.5 vs. 418.1 mug/L, respectively) P = 0.007. We also found that plasma vitamin E concentrations in patients with acne were significantly lower than those of controls (5.4 vs. 5.9 mg/L) P = 0.05. In addition, we found that there is a strong relationship between decrease in plasma vitamin A levels and increase in the severity of acne condition. Patients with severe acne had significantly lower plasma concentrations of vitamins A and E than did those with lower acne grade and the age-matched healthy controls.

DISCUSSION:

Based on our results, we conclude that low vitamin A and E plasma levels have an important role in the pathogenesis of acne and in the aggravation of this condition."

#48 JWaltersRN

JWaltersRN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Supplements are great, just bear in mind that having too much or too little of anything Can cause acne. anyone who has a deficiency in something, they can be improved by supplements. Typically, if someone is eating a balanced healthy diet, nothing more than a multivitamin is required. I just caution people to start loading up on supplements. Just because it's natural, doesn't mean its totally safe.
Just my 2 cents.

30 years old
Caucasian Female
Medium Skin Tone
Cystic and Superficial Acne, Whiteheads, Pustules, Blackheads and clogged pores: OH MY!

Morning[/]

Night

Differin .1%

Weekly

Manuka Honey after peel 

#49 Ind1g0

Ind1g0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

http://www.wisegeek....st-for-acne.htm

http://evolutionaryp...tamins-and.html

first, i found a study in germany where brewers yeast cured acne after 5 months. i take brewers yeast when i lift for the protein content but i don't take it everyday. it is beleived it works because it balances the insulin levels. I will start taking it everyday.

also the second article is amazing!!! look at these before and after pics of this girl who took omega 3 pills!

heres the after:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/instance/2577647/bin/1476-511X-7-36-2.gif

"Acne is accompanied by the overproduction of Sebum, a waxy oil, in addition to inflammation, hormonal shifts, and infection. Inflammation is one of the earliest manifestations of the disease, particularly mediated by a leukotriene called LTB4. This inflammatory chemical helps up-regulate sebum production, and you might be interested to know that the omega 6 fatty acid derivative arachidonic acid is made into LTB4, while the omega 3 fatty acid EPA (from fish) inhibits the conversion of arachidonic acid to LTB4. A study of 1000 teenagers in North Carolina showed lower incidence of pustules, acne cysts, and oily skin in those teenagers consuming the most fish. Another study showed that patients with acne ate low amounts of seafood."

wow! i am not going to search for these studies because i believe they exist! i have seen people say fish oil helped their acne but i had no idea that omega 3 inhibited ltb4 which causes too much sebum!!!!! this is amazing!! i will start taking 2 tablespoons fish oil a day!

Definitely a good point about the fish oil- but please don't overdo it! Especially if you're planning on taking the yucky synthetic/capsule form. That type of vitamin A can be toxic in large doses. Nevertheless I completely agree with what you posted. And just a tip: there are many other sources of Omega 3. SAD diets are just way too high in omega 6 and such to compensate. Eliminate your consumption of vegetable oils (all of them), and up your intake of things like hemp seeds, chia seeds and flax meal (which I've been adding to my daily smoothies, mmmm).

#50 Acnegoaway54

Acnegoaway54

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

http://www.wisegeek....st-for-acne.htm

http://evolutionaryp...tamins-and.html

Definitely a good point about the fish oil- but please don't overdo it! Especially if you're planning on taking the yucky synthetic/capsule form. That type of vitamin A can be toxic in large doses. Nevertheless I completely agree with what you posted. And just a tip: there are many other sources of Omega 3. SAD diets are just way too high in omega 6 and such to compensate. Eliminate your consumption of vegetable oils (all of them), and up your intake of things like hemp seeds, chia seeds and flax meal (which I've been adding to my daily smoothies, mmmm).

yes i agree completely. and i take fish oil out of the bottle in liquid form and it has no vitamin A in it! thanks for the advice.

#51 Cal07

Cal07

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hey, would this work?
http://www.diapers.c...ci_kw={keyword}

#52 JWaltersRN

JWaltersRN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

yes, it will.
Its only 13% ZnO, and it contains parabens. Not my first choice, but up to you! Good luck

Belli Baby has a 39% ZnO that is paraben free.

30 years old
Caucasian Female
Medium Skin Tone

Morning[/]

Night

Differin .1%

Weekly

Manuka Honey after peel 

#53 Cal07

Cal07

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

is it fragrence free too and does it work for you

#54 Cal07

Cal07

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I couldnt find it in walgreens, but did find this one
http://www.babyganic...er_Diaper_Cream
Watcha think

#55 Ind1g0

Ind1g0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

yes, it will.
Its only 13% ZnO, and it contains parabens. Not my first choice, but up to you! Good luck

Sorry- I haven't really been following the thread that well- but are you guys having success applying zinc oxide to your face??

#56 Syrupop

Syrupop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

yes, it will.

Sorry- I haven't really been following the thread that well- but are you guys having success applying zinc oxide to your face??

Yes it has been 1 week and most of my acne is gone. I only have 1 or 2 left. It also help with dark spot and drying up acne.

#57 Cal07

Cal07

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

yes, it will.

Yes it has been 1 week and most of my acne is gone. I only have 1 or 2 left. It also help with dark spot and drying up acne.

What one are you using

#58 Syrupop

Syrupop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Im using desistin diaper rash cream. It has 40%zinc oxide

#59 Acnegoaway54

Acnegoaway54

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

insulin insulin insulin.

i just found a page that says that during puberty insulin increases and then goes down when puberty is over. this explains why people beleive that you grow out of acne. my acne started when i turned 9. at this time my mustache came in and puberty started. my insulin levels as well as igf-1 increased. when insulin is too high it stays in your blood stream. it is a hormone. insulin causes androgen responses and sebum to be increased. this explains a lot to me. people with acne were found to have more of the cells that produce sebum. its all the insulin!!! this is why there is adult acne. its insulin resistance. the best cure to acne is stop being insulin resistant.
the things that help it are:
exercise
chromium
cinnamon
vinegar
omega 3
vitamin d
and the list goes on

the things that are bad are:
-simple sugars
-omega 6
and the lists goes on

american diet is full of these bad things

even vitamin a was found to stop insulin production. this explains so much to me. i had this thought at 1:00 in the morning and i knew it had to be true. i jumped on my computer and found it. i think that insulin resistance is what is causing the acne epidemic in America and is causing my acne. if this isn't true and it doesn't work for me eventually i will not know what to do. i will give up and quit.

#60 Acnegoaway54

Acnegoaway54

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I woke up at 2:00 in the morning to research insulin one last time. I beleived that I had found something. What I found was shocking. Here it is:https://www.novapubl...roducts_id=4933

"A transient insulin resistant state occurs during puberty and is part of normal human development. Insulin resistance increases immediately at the beginning of puberty, peaks at mid-puberty, and then declines to nearly prepubertal levels by early adulthood. Girls are more insulin resistant than boys during puberty which is related in part to differences in adiposity between the sexes. Glucose homeostasis is maintained during puberty through compensatory hyperinsulinemia. While resistance to insulin’s effect on glucose metabolism is present, insulin-stimulated protein metabolism is normal. Therefore, a physiologic consequence of insulin resistance during puberty may be augmentation of rapid growth by promotion of protein anabolism.
The causes of physiological insulin resistance during puberty have not been definitively established. Gonadal sex steroids do not appear to play a central role. There is strong evidence, however, that GH/IGF-I activity contributes to pubertal insulin resistance. GH and IGF-I levels increase and then decrease during puberty, following a pattern similar to that of insulin resistance. A significant association between IGF-I levels and pubertal insulin resistance has been demonstrated in many studies. Some studies find that African Americans are more insulin resistant during puberty than their white counterparts, although this was not found to be the case in a study where the black youth were lean and physically active. "

In puberty insulin resistance develops and then it goes away at the end of puberty. Sound familiar? in puberty, if one has acne, acne is beleived to start and then you "grow out" of it.

okay so that sounds strange right? a coincidence? i think not

then i said what does insulin have to do with sebum and acne?
i found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10428145

Good correlations, although lower, between insulin and T, and BMI, insulin, and T with triglycerides were also found in patients with PCOS. These patients fell into clearly distinct categories: with or without insulin resistance and with or without obesity, but slim women with PCOS had insulin and metabolic variables similar to those without PCOS, and most obese women with PCOS were insulin-resistant and more hyperandrogenic and hypertriglyceridemic.
CONCLUSION(S):

Insulin, androgens, and BMI are related in women both with PCOS and without PCOS, especially in obese ones. Insulin and metabolic indices are similar in lean women with PCOS and those without PCOS, but obese women with PCOS are more insulin-resistant, hyperandrogenic, and hypertriglyceridemic. Three types of disorders can be distinguished: simple nonhyperandrogenic obesity, typical nonhyperinsulinemic PCOS, and insulin-resistant PCOS.

So inslun is related positively to androgens?

Then i found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3051853/
"Typical western diet, comprised of milk and hyperglycaemic foods, may have potentiating effects on serum insulin and insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) levels, thereby promoting the development of acne.17"

then i found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19709092
"It is the purpose of this viewpoint article to delineate the regulatory network of growth hormone (GH), insulin, and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) signalling during puberty, associated hormonal changes in adrenal and gonadal androgen metabolism, and the impact of dietary factors and smoking involved in the pathogenesis of acne. The key regulator IGF-1 rises during puberty by the action of increased GH secretion and correlates well with the clinical course of acne. In acne patients, associations between serum levels of IGF-1, dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate, dihydrotestosterone, acne lesion counts and facial sebum secretion rate have been reported. IGF-1 stimulates 5alpha-reductase, adrenal and gonadal androgen synthesis, androgen receptor signal transduction, sebocyte proliferation and lipogenesis. Milk consumption results in a significant increase in insulin and IGF-1 serum levels comparable with high glycaemic food. Insulin induces hepatic IGF-1 secretion, and both hormones amplify the stimulatory effect of GH on sebocytes and augment mitogenic downstream signalling pathways of insulin receptors, IGF-1 receptor and fibroblast growth factor receptor-2b. Acne is proposed to be an IGF-1-mediated disease, modified by diets and smoking increasing insulin/IGF1-signalling. Metformin treatment, and diets low in milk protein content and glycaemic index reduce increased IGF-1 signalling. Persistent acne in adulthood with high IGF-1 levels may be considered as an indicator for increased risk of cancer, which may require appropriate dietary intervention as well as treatment with insulin-sensitizing agents."

very strange. i'm not sure whether or not its igf-1 or insulin. i beleive it is inslun resistance which is brought on my puberty! but!!!!!!!!
theres a missing link here. something that doesn't make sense! if insulin resistance is a marker of puberty then why doesn't everyone have acne and have it to the same extent. Well the asnwer to this is complicated. One of the factors is diet. People who eat a better less simple sugar diet will not have as much acne. But this isn't true for all. How many people have heard the man say "my friend eats junk all the time and has no acne. WHy me!!" Well i beleive their is a missing link here. Only certain people have some sort of genetical DNA structure that makes insulin resistance trigger acne for them. This is why diabetic people do not neccesarily have acne.

Now Acne is supposed to pass during adulthood but a lot of people here on the board have acne and are passed their mid 25's. This is a serious health risk. It will probably lead to diabetes. Now, why???

Hypothesis: So i beleive that insulin resistance which is a normal part of puberty leads to increased androgens which leads to acne for those who have that genetic disposal. Which, if you are reading this, you have that genetic disposal.

Now, what backs this hypothesis up? the best way is to look at some of successful acne treatments:
i will start with vitamin A
i found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10966898
"Statistically significant direct relations were observed between SSPG and mean arterial blood pressure (r = 0.44, P: = 0.008) and plasma lipid hydroperoxide concentrations (r = 0.42, P: = 0.01), whereas significant inverse correlations were found between SSPG and alpha-carotene (r = -0.58, P: = 0.0002), beta-carotene (r = -0.49, P: = 0.004), lutein (r = -0.35, P: = 0.04), alpha-tocopherol (r = -0. 36, P: = 0.04), and delta-tocopherol (r = -0.45, P: = 0.007).
CONCLUSIONS:

Variations in insulin-mediated glucose disposal in healthy individuals are significantly related to plasma concentrations of lipid hydroperoxides and liposoluble antioxidant vitamins. These findings suggest that total plasma lipid peroxidation is increased in insulin-resistant individuals at an early, preclinical stage, ie, well before the development of glucose intolerance and type 2 diabetes."

sound familiar? vitamin A is lipid soluble and is beta carotene. now maybe we know why accutane works so well????

okay that's only one example. lets go for zinc:
"Regarding obesity and insulin resistance, alterations in zinc concentration and distribution in tissues, as well as improvement in sensitivity to insulin after supplementation with this element, have been detected. Thus, the metabolic role of zinc in the insulin resistance syndrome should be further investigated having in mind that this element may contribute to the control of the usual metabolic alterations present in obese patients."
The studies are there that zinc improves acne by 85%! no one knows why. turns out it improves insulin sensitivity.

how about antibiotics?
here you go: http://www.trialregi...iew.asp?TC=2566
"Accumulating data from both patients and animal models indicates that imbalances in the composition of the gut microbiota are related to obesity and its associated diseases However, the exact role of the microbiota and the mechanism mediating its impact on metabolic functions are poorly understood.
Interestingly, antibiotics have been shown to produce drastic short- and long-term alterations of the human indwelling microbiota. After a 2 wk intervention with norfloxacin in combination with ampicillin the numbers of aerobic and anaerobic gut bacteria in ob/ob mice were maximally suppressed. The ob/ob mice showed a significant improvement in fasting glycemia and oral glucose tolerance by 30%. Concomitant reduction of liver triglycerides, reduction of lipopolysaccharides supported the antidiabetic effects of antibiotic treatment. This study showed that modulation of gut microbiota with antibiotics improved glucose tolerance in mice by altering the expression of hepatic and intestinal genes involved in inflammation and metabolism.

wow! so turns out antibiotics improve insulin resistance. who would have thought? the list goes on with popular suplements for acne such as vitamin c, chromium, magnesium.

how about omega 3's???
here you go: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18348080
"Aging diminishes hormone secretion and target cell responsiveness, possibly due to loss of cell membrane fluidity or alteration of membrane phospholipids affecting signal transduction. We investigated whether a high omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid diet would improve endocrine function in 6 men and 6 women aged over 60 years. Subjects first ate an isocaloric control diet for 6 weeks, followed by an 8-week experimental diet, which included 720 g of fatty fish weekly plus 15 ml of sardine oil daily. In the last week, we measured RBC membrane fatty acids on each diet, performed pituitary, adrenal, hepatic, and Leydig cell endocrine provocative testing, and assayed selected cytokines. We also assessed insulin sensitivity utilizing octreotide insulin suppression testing and assessed free fatty acid (FFA) responses to isoproteronol. Insulin sensitivity increased significantly after 8 weeks on the omega-3 diet and FFA responses trended lower. Serum C-reactive protein was significantly reduced and a trend towards lower IL-6 was noted. No differences were found in other metabolic parameters, adiponectin levels, or hormone responses. We conclude that, in older people, high omega-3 consumption increases insulin sensitivity, may reduce FFA mobilization by catecholamines, and reduces inflammatory markers, but did not alter endocrine responsiveness after 8 weeks

omega 3's are missing in the american diet according to many. acne is prevalent in america in many populations that it was not! coincidence? you tell me.

how about those omega 6's that are part of the SAD:
"Relationships between polyunsaturated FA type and IR vary according to the presence or absence of MS. N-3 FAs including EPA and DHA are associated with lower HOMA-IR, while the opposite is true for n-6 FAs. Prospective studies are required to address the potential effects of intermediate dose EPA and DHA on glucose handling in MS patients.

the opposite!!! so omega 6's fuel insulin resistance. btw, insulin is a hormone.

in science there are theories and there are hypothesis's. When you can back something you can challenge other previous wrong things.

The hypothesis: acne is caused by insulin resistance that is normal during puberty. The missing link is that genetic code that makes us all here predisposed to acne. This provides hope for the future as humankind can find that genetic peice and take it out. So for most teens they would normally grow out of their acne and you shouldn't be worried. You should be worried on the other hand, if you get poor exercise, are overweight, and you eat a simple sugar diet. sounds like most americans, doesn't it??? well acne is extremely prevalent in well developed societies. coincidence? you tell me.

so what does this all mean for me. it means i'm not sure i can ever forgive god for giving that genetic disposal to acne. It's unfair and it's not right. but boo hoo everyone knows, life is unfair. that's just the way it is.

so this now makes treating acne a lot easier for people who know about this info. turns out a lot of people on the board already do and doctors do as well. its an internal fight. its a fight against genetics. however, it may be a loosing battle for many of us with teenage acne. After all, insulin resistance is a normal part of puberty.

this is all a theory but it the most shocking, rare, and formidable back up that i have ever seen in a theory. It has the biology to back it up, the research, the chemistry, and the evidence of current treatment. This was all written by someone who went to bed at 3 in the morning last night so i do apologize for my typo's.