Photo

Solutions To Adult Acne? Alternatives To Accutane? B5 & L-Carnitine? Light Therapy?

vitamin b vitamin b5 zinc

6 replies to this topic

#1 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

So here's my situation: I'm 24, out in the professional world, and having adult acne is nothing short of a nightmare. I have very sensitive skin, which often appears red and inflamed at the onset of any blemish. I get painful cystic bumps and my skin always looks and feels very oily and greasy.

I have been researching and considering Accutane for the past 6 months but presently deal with dry eyes - made drier from LASIK surgery one year ago - and so I have been hesitant to proceed.

In the meantime I have been considering similar but realistic solutions. Right now I'm currently on 115 mg of Solodyn, which helps with the cystic acne but by no means has been a cure. Along with that, I take Nicomide (an expensive prescription Vitamin B and Zinc supplement), which, so far in the course of a month, seems to have only provided minimal relief.

Finally, I've recently begun taking Pantethine (the active ingredient in Vitamin B5) (450 mg, twice daily) but my skin is still very oily. I've read about L-Carnitine and how it's suppose to enhance the effects of Pantethine and so I am considering that as well.

This is all very frustrating, very overwhelming, and I just want a solution - not researching and experimenting well into my late 20s. Anyway can anyone provide any insight? Has anything helped? Has anyone ever considered realistic alternatives to Accutane that have worked? Any help would be well appreciated.

I am a 24 year old male.

Edited by John457, 20 December 2012 - 05:29 PM.

Current Skincare Regimen

MORNING

Green Tea Cleanser from Dermatologist

CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion

Murad Acne Treatment Concealer (Light) 

NIGHT

OTHER

Monthly Chemical Peels (Salicylic and Glycolic Based)

Current Supplements: Zinc, Vitamin D3.

Past Efforts: Topical Treatments (BP, Evoclin, Differin, Duac, Ziana, Epiduo, etc.); Antibiotics (Doxycycline, Bactrim, Solodyn); Other Treatments (IsoLaz, Chemical Peels, Supplementation, Elimination Diets, etc.)

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Pantothen works because it contains B5. B5 is a weak anti-androgen. If you want better results, use a stronger anti-androgen.

There are many natural ones available over the counter. Saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pygeum, and pumpkin seed oil are the most common.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#3 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Pantothen works because it contains B5. B5 is a weak anti-androgen. If you want better results, use a stronger anti-androgen.

There are many natural ones available over the counter. Saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pygeum, and pumpkin seed oil are the most common.

Hmm as a male the idea of an anti-androgen kind of freaks me out.

Pantothen seems interesting but I wonder if there's any real difference between just taking Pantethine and L-Cartinine. I've been on Nicomide (B5 and Zinc) for a month and have noticed absolutely no difference. I also started taking Pantethine (2 x 450 mg / day) for about a week now and have noticed no difference. I'm hoping that adding L-Cartinine will help.

Current Skincare Regimen

MORNING

NIGHT

OTHER

Past Efforts: Topical Treatments (BP, Evoclin, Differin, Duac, Ziana, Epiduo, etc.); Antibiotics (Doxycycline, Bactrim, Solodyn); Other Treatments (IsoLaz, Chemical Peels, Supplementation, Elimination Diets, etc.)

#4 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Pantothen seems interesting but I wonder if there's any real difference between just taking Pantethine and L-Cartinine. I've been on Nicomide (B5 and Zinc) for a month and have noticed absolutely no difference. I also started taking Pantethine (2 x 450 mg / day) for about a week now and have noticed no difference. I'm hoping that adding L-Cartinine will help.

That's what I'm saying...if you're taking Pantethine you're already taking an anti-androgen...that's what Pantethine is...

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

#5 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

That's what I'm saying...if you're taking Pantethine you're already taking an anti-androgen...that's what Pantethine is...

While I'm still somewhat uneasy about that whole idea, pantethine is a natural and very mild anti-androgen. Something like Accutane would be worse.

Current Skincare Regimen

MORNING

NIGHT

OTHER

#6 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

While I'm still somewhat uneasy about that whole idea, pantethine is a natural and very mild anti-androgen. Something like Accutane would be worse.

Uhh I didn't recommend Accutane, I recommended Saw Palmetto, which is another natural anti-androgen. It's often used for male prostate health. But do what you want.

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

#7 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Uhh I didn't recommend Accutane, I recommended Saw Palmetto, which is another natural anti-androgen. It's often used for male prostate health. But do what you want.

I know you didn't suggest Accutane. The reason I mention Accutane is because I feel like in the end it will be my only choice.

Current Skincare Regimen

MORNING

NIGHT

OTHER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users