Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kmartineau07

What Type Of Food Is Best While Taking Accutane? Please Help.

3 posts in this topic

My dermatologist said to take accutane with a meal that is "high in fat". Is 12g of fat considered to be high in fat? He suggested a cheeseburger but that is definitely more than 12g of fat, and I don't really like to eat fast food very often..

Eat healthy fats like olive oil, butter, coconut oil etc. Should help. Also increase ur zinc intake from natural sources.

My dermatologist said to take accutane with a meal that is "high in fat". Is 12g of fat considered to be high in fat? He suggested a cheeseburger but that is definitely more than 12g of fat, and I don't really like to eat fast food very often..

From the FDA and Center for Drug Evaluation and Research:

A high-calorie meal, 800 to 1000 calories with approximately 500 to 600 calories from fat (and 150 calories from protein, 250 calories from carbohydrates).

Source here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509883/#B36

1 gram of fat = 9 calories, 600/9 = 66.67 g fat per meal, 500/9 = 55.55 g . . . so it would be best to have roughly 56 g to 67 g of fat for one meal to take with your prescription.

Now that doesn't mean it's purely trans fat like in fast food -- "fat" includes monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat (lipids), the "better" fats. You can get the "better" fats from olives, olive oil, avocados, a variety of nuts and seeds, fish, and leafy greens. Depending on the ingredients and serving size, you could easily meet this fat requirement with an olive oil-slathered and almond-covered salad mixed in with slices of salmon.