29 replies to this topic

#21 guppy45

guppy45

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Just heard a great quote. To paraphrase "there's no such thing as side effects, there are only effects." Calling them "side effects" is an attempt to trivialize potential dangers.

#22 guppy45

guppy45

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Approaching 5 months since two deep cortisone shots dented my face.  They are still there and have not improved on their own. I recently started some treatments that have helped a little and I'm trusting the process.  

These shots have damaged me and my life. I would give just about anything to back in time and say NO.  

#23 shraddhaji

shraddhaji

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Okay so I wanted to post a happy story to make people feel hopeful. I us to get cortisone shots for my acne cysts when I was suffering from acne. My doctor use to tell me to be very careful who you go to to get these shots because they can atrophy. I never had any problems when I got them done. At the time we didn't have internet and also later on I just never really understood the risks. 

Well recently I went through a very traumatic experience and had a lot of stress and I am perimenopause so I started to break out in cysts again. I had two on my face not super bad but big enough that they were bothering me. I went to another dermatologist and asked him if he would inject them. I asked him about atrophy and he said well it can happen but it’s only happen once for him. I asked if how much do you use and do you dilute it with saline. He said he uses .1 cc and yes he dilutes it (I honestly don’t believe it makes it safer if you do this-it can happen to any doctor). I went ahead and did it not really worried that anything would happen. 

Well after a week the cyst went down but now it was atrophying. By the way I had it on my cheek where all can see. I started to freak out and went to my other derma who said why didn't you come to me? He started to do saline injections and it really didn't seem to be doing much. I was freaking out to the point I was obsessing about it, not eating and looking every where on the internet for into. This also freak me out because I was hearing so many horror stories and not many successes. I really wish I had realized how bad this can be because if I had I would have dealt with the darn cyst. Any way I just had my third saline shot. The night of the shot it looked good of course because it was filled up. The next day it looked even more indent then the day I had the saline shot! I really went over the edge then. The next day, which is today, I noticed it actually looked much better and right now it looks better then it has since it all happened.  I feel very hopeful right now and after research I decided I would get it filled in even though it could still be healing. I decided I just can’t wait for it to fill in but now I think I can wait if it stays like this. I have been massaging it with Vi-c and other collagen products. I will keep you posted but I really feel good about it right now and just imagine it  filling up. No matter what I think fillers are the way to go. Just think if it takes from 1 month to a year to fill in you might as was well have it filled in so you can have a peace of mind. I will NEVER have a cortisone shot any where on my body!! It just isn”t worth the risk!!

#24 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

i had 2 shots indent recently which is like the first time ever for me and the one is filling in pretty well and the other one that was like a huge indent a month ago is already filling in alot but i do take 1000mg of vitamin c a day and i think it helps. i have read that its best to take 1000mg twice a day so i might try doing that as well. i also massage the area too. you could try that for a bit and see if it works but i think my derm did say it could take 6 months or longer to totally fill in so give it more time.

Edited by tracy521, 04 March 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#25 DC-girl

DC-girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I had 2 cortisone shots last month that caused atrophy.

But it filled in on its own within 2 weeks. No big deal. 

I have also had atrophy from cortisone stay for months and that time I got it filled with HA filler and it was as good as new after that. Problem solved.

My BIGGEST mistake of my life was NOT getting cortisone shots; posts like this one caused me to get scared so I let a mountainous cyst grow until it was the size of a quarter. I finally then gave in and got a cortisone shot.

I wish I had done it earlier because I most likely would have saved myself the scarring from the cyst. 

Lesson learned. The next time (hopefully never) that I get  a cyst I'm having it injected as soon as I know its going to be big and stop it in its tracks.

Just my 2 cents from my personal experience.

#26 oilydave94

oilydave94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

High risk, high reward. Emma Stone revealed in a interview she used to have really bad acne, even went on tane at one point, and has gotten a lot of cortisone shots. Her skin is gorgeous and has no signs of previous acne. 

#27 lazylizard

lazylizard

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Okay I decided to reply again to give you my results. I was always frustrated that people didnt follow up on their progress.  I was under the name shraddhaji before (lotus flower picture).  I am happy to say my cortisone shot dent in my cheek is complexity gone! I had three saline injection and I was so obsessed about it I  would squeeze it to get blood into it all day long. It has been 6 months and it is completely gone and it was deep. So yes they can resolve so please stay hopeful and get those saline injections!

#28 cloudatlas

cloudatlas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

I just wanted to post because I now if this is happening to you your freaking out. I had a cortisone shot (I have done them before no problems) for a cystic acne pimple right on my cheek this last year. It dented in and freaked me out. It was medium size but right where everyone could see it.... especially me! I had 4 saline shots. I massage it everyday by squeezing it to get blood to it. I actually made a hickey mark which didn't help. I have to tell you after 3 months it started to go away. 6 months could barely see it. One year now and you can't see it at all. Even if it doesn't go away completely me trust me you can have it filled in. You can have it cut and sewn together. Better to have a scare then a dent. You can have stem cell blood plasma put in it. You can have it filled in!!! Really trust me you can fix it.  I am a facalist! Don't let peoples stories scare you. Mine was pretty bad. My friends all saw it. IT DID GO AWAY. Do the saline injects and wait 3 months.  I also used TGF cream and this snail cream. If it doesn't look better try filling it it. YOU will be oaky. You wont be deformed  or at least the likely hood is so small. Yes it can be bad and some people stories seem so bad but the majority of this goes away. I would stay away from cortisone shots. I wont do them again. 

#29 DayneCarter

DayneCarter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

i want to get a shot for a raised scar but i am scared

#30 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

i want to get a shot for a raised scar but i am scared

i think for the raised scars they usually start out lower to avoid any sort of dent but ask to be sure. you can always go back and get more later on. '

here is an interesting story i found for you to read on here:

http://www.acne.org/...scar-treatment/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users