836 replies to this topic

#401 elmechanico

elmechanico

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hello!

After reading through every thread regarding B5 hair loss, I have finally mustered up the courage to post here myself.

I'd like to tell you about my case.

I'm almost 18 and this whole hair loss thing really gets to me.

In October 2013 I started taking B5. I started on a low dose and gradually made my way up to 10g a day.

I noticed increased shedding after 1 and a half weeks of taking B5 and immediately stopped.

At that time I was also going through a lot of psychological stress due to my acne and I lost a lot weight while I was sick and only ate soup for two weeks. I have read that psychological stress and crash dieting/sudden weight loss can cause Telogen Effluvium so I was convinced I had that.

The shedding then continued and gradually got worse. During this time I took Iron, Vitamin B-Complex, Zinc, Copper and Omega-3 supplements to improve my health.

I would say the hair loss is pretty diffuse but is more noticeable on the hairline and top of head as those areas naturally have less hair.

All the hairs have the tiny bulb on them and most of them are long telogen hairs. I also lose a lot of shorter, "new" hair though but I have read that it is possible to lose short hair during TE because your hair cycles through multiple growth cycles and takes some time to get back on track.

It now seems like the hair loss has somewhat decreased but I still am losing some hair. These past 2/3 months I have also had a severe itch on my hairline and scalp. I also have dandruff and flakes which I never had before. (Could this mean dry scalp, psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis?)

The hair on the sides and back of my head is still pretty full however I have bitemporal recession and thinning of the hair on top.

I've had a blood test done two weeks ago. My iron and ferritin levels were on the very low end of the normal range despite me taking iron supplements. My TSH was 3.13, slightly elevated but still in the normal range.

In 3 weeks I have an appointment with a dermatologist and I'll ask him about scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis and other scalp conditions. Might get a scalp biopsy done as well.

I also have an appointment with an endocrinologist in a few weeks and I'll get my thyroid, adrenal and iron levels fully checked then.

I also noticed that I have dry skin everywhere on the body. Could this be related?

I hope the hair loss is not permanent and am interested to hear your opinions.

I hope someone can help me

Regards, Michael

Edit:

I also have some pretty decent regrowth. I have short hair all over my hairline and scalp and since around 2 weeks a 0.5cm line of very short,tiny white hairs has popped up just below my hairline.

Is this a sign of recovery?

By the way, my moderate cystic acne which used to haunt me has almost totally cleared. I only use a facial cleanser, no moisturizer, no BPO, no creams, nothing. I eat whatever I want, sweat like a pig and I get like one whitehead a week if I'm unlucky.

A few months ago I just had to look at dairy and sugar to get a breakout.  Funny how life goes, eh?

Hi. Don't want to get your hopes down, but I have the exact same symptoms as you.

My hair loss started after 10 days on pantethine, and has not stopped or slowed down for just about 2 years now. My hair loss is also diffuse, but worst at the hairline and top of the scalp, which is also very itchy. I have had lots of blood tests done, all within the normal range. Have tried a lot of different treatments, but nothing has worked so far, so still hoping for a miracle.

I would say I probably have 25% of my hair left. Luckily I had very thick hair to begin with, so not completely bald yet. Does anyone know of someone going completely bald from this?

Hi, thanks for your input! That doesn't sound very encouraging haha.

Have you been to a dermatologist and ruled out MPB? How much B5 did you take? Did you take Fin or Minox?

I'm remaining hopeful as I'm already seeing some regrowth and a hairdresser recently commented that I had a lot of hair.

My hair also feels a lot thicker and healthier now than it used to these past few months.

I bought some Nizoral today as I heard it reduces the itch and is good for hair loss. I'll use that 3x a week and the rest of the time I'll use Alpecin C1 caffeine shampoo. I really hope this is either TE or due to scalp issues, iron deficiency, depression or hyperactive thyroid and not something permanent. I'll keep you guys posted

Edited by elmechanico, 17 April 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#402 churchill

churchill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:12 AM

Yes, have been to a dermatologist that ruled out MPB. For the same reason she would not prescribe Fin. I am currently on Minox which have not given any results so far. I am also using Nizoral. But sounds like your are luckier than me, so maybe you don't have to worry.

I didn't take any B5, only pantethine (a B5 derivative), where you don't have to overdose like on B5. I took 900 mg's pr day which is within the recommended daily amount of 300-1200 mg's. This makes it even harder to believe how it could screw my system over like this.

#403 jari litmanen

jari litmanen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

I didn't take any B5, only pantethine (a B5 derivative), where you don't have to overdose like on B5. I took 900 mg's pr day which is within the recommended daily amount of 300-1200 mg's. This makes it even harder to believe how it could screw my system over like this.

Where did you get this info from? The recommended daily intake of both pantothenic acid and pantethine is 5-10 mg. Just because there has been clinical trials to treat high cholesterol with doses ranging from 300 to 1200 mg daily, doesn't mean it's recommended and without possible side effects.

#404 churchill

churchill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:10 AM

Where did you get this info from? The recommended daily intake of both pantothenic acid and pantethine is 5-10 mg. Just because there has been clinical trials to treat high cholesterol with doses ranging from 300 to 1200 mg daily, doesn't mean it's recommended and without possible side effects.

Sorry my English is not that good, yes I just meant what was suggested by the manufacturers and at http://www.webmd.com...ame=PANTETHINE.

#405 elmechanico

elmechanico

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

Mhm, hair loss has been worse today and yesterday. Have not been shedding this much in a long time.

Still shedding a lot of long telogen hairs with a bulb on them.

However since I've used Nizoral the itch has pretty much gone away and when I towel dry my hair or run my hand through it a lot of small flakes come out. They are white and yellowish in appearance.

Also it looks like tiny little peach fuzz hair fall off when I ran my hand through my hair. I read somewhere that Nizoral causes an initial shedding? Hair looks and feels better and thicker though. When I look at my scalp I have a lot of dandruff and small white flakes everywhere.

Churchill, did you experience this too?

Edited by elmechanico, 19 April 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#406 churchill

churchill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:34 AM

Yes I am experiencing the same. Don't know if I've just never noticed it before, or whether it's also related to the pantethine.

#407 elmechanico

elmechanico

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

is your hair loss diffuse or typical mpb pattern?

#408 churchill

churchill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

It's diffuse. But right now I would say most noticeable at the front with receding hairline and temples.

#409 elmechanico

elmechanico

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:59 AM

You said you experienced itching as well.

Would you say that the itching was more severe in the areas where you lost hair?

#410 churchill

churchill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

I've lost hair all over the scalp. But the itching is probably worse on the top of the scalp which is also where I might have lost the most hair.

#411 Blue09

Blue09

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hi guys glad to see people started commenting again, I've been losing hair for around 4 years now due to taking the b5 for about 7-8months, I've lost hair all over my head, if I grow my hair you can see all round the sides how bad it's got, but the worst is the receding hairline and just above temples, also my crown is very very thin it sucks. We need to keep discussing actual test results and see what we can come up with. You would think after 4 years the body would return to normal but obviously not. I'm running out of ideas and there's no way I'm taking fin. I just purchased brewers yeast as it contains about 14 amino acids all the b vitamins biotin, and many other vitamins and minerals. It's worth a shot I suppose. Keep talking guys we will find a cure.

#412 elmechanico

elmechanico

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Yeah my hairline has also receded quite a bit, I'd say around 1 cm all over and I didn't have the best hairline to start with.

Has no one actually managed to stop the hair loss and regrow their hair?

#413 Porelesskin

Porelesskin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

Has none of you tried using a bit of castor oil and massaging your scalp for 5 minutes? This is a slow process, but there's a definite improvement. It makes the scalp go cool, and sometimes it shows up as pimples on the face - almost like a trickle down effect. But it does not happen to people who're on a regular usage mode. 

Try using a very tiny amount of it and keeping it on overnight. 

I don't have MPB( I am a girl), but this helps if you aren't totally bald.amused.gif  Keep at it for a few months with a very little amount of castor oil. Hair growth doesn't happen in a week or 2. 

If you have severe loss, and looks like there's no other way, go for hair transplants now before it's too late. 

Please use OIL when you have itching. Olive oil, Castor oil; ANY good oil. Helps with the itching. It's like a moisturizer for the scalp. 

Edited by Porelesskin, 25 April 2014 - 05:45 AM.

#414 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Nothing to update. Hair loss continues very slowly thanks to Nizoral. Repeat again only thing to stop my hairless was RU, but it is experimental.

Continue to get jacked, and improve income. next is a motorcycle. For men it isn't all about looks.

I used castor oil and crude oil on my head i.e edgar cayce and ended up with a twitching facial muscle (never damage) after a few months so I would be careful. It did eventually go away

*Heated Castor oil can cause permanent nerve damage

http://www.examiner....with-castor-oil

Kérastase Densifique is rebranded neotenic which essentially does nothing. As one commenter put it "4% increase in hairs after 3 months - pissing into the wind" Save your money. 

http://67.227.210.96...t=8899&page=104

#415 Blue09

Blue09

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Time to try hgh very good reviews for hairgrowth.

#416 pjjordan

pjjordan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

Ordered the RU and KB solution. Tracking says it should be here today. Time to give it a go! Will keep everyone updated with results. 

#417 itsoveroveriknowiknow

itsoveroveriknowiknow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Keep us updated on the hgh blue09. 

#418 elmechanico

elmechanico

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hair loss has gotten worse after starting using Nizoral.

Extreme shed and itching. Also thinning at the hairline more now.

Some guys in here said it jump started MPB, could you follow up on that?

Edited by elmechanico, 06 May 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#419 Blue09

Blue09

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

Update on the human growth hormone, 1 week in and there's no change, when I pull my hair 1 or 2 will come out each time. I can only hope that there will be change after a month but to be honest I highly doubt it. I don't think there is a cure.

#420 elmechanico

elmechanico

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

On the first page it says it could be related to cysteine deficiency.
I have read up on cysteine deficiency and it lists loss of haur pigmentation of one of its effects. I have noticed that the part of my hair close to the root is of a lighter, almost white colour. So I am thinking of ordering some Cysteine.

Has anybody here supplemented with Cysteine and did it improve anything?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users