943 replies to this topic

#21 pjjordan

pjjordan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hey here is a link. Someone back in 2005 used the coenzyme A/cysteine theory and cured his hairloss. He supplemented with methionine to stop his hairloss and then switched to n-acetyl cysteine and pantethine which he said has improved his thickness and growth. Oizo is his name: 

"to clarify, i was on pantothenic acid for nine months and had to stop due to hair loss. i then picked up pantethine at 900mg/day, thinking my hairloss would stop, and it didnt. it slowed a bit, but this was probably due to the fact that i wasnt taking enough panethine to equal the b5 i was on previously. after six months of being on pantethine, i then started the methionine at 3 pills a day..the equivalent of 1.5g. the brand is now, and each pill also comes with b6 in the form of pyridoxine..i believe it helps with absorbability. when i buy more methionine im going to switch to a brand without any b6 as i know too much of the vitamin can aggravate acne.

as for the quality of my hair while on methio, all i can say is it seemed to work really fast - im sure you would notice a difference in two to three weeks max. keep in mind i only used methionine for a month and could no longer see my scalp after that. while on b5 and pantethine, the actual girth of the hairs falling out seemed to actually decrease. this reversed with methionine. the number of hairs falling out in the shower decreased to maybe 2 as compared with upwards of 10. i seemed to be growing newer, stronger hair as well. i encourage you to research the methionine/b5 and coenzyme deal."

"heres my take so far: n-acetyl cysteine has definitely improved my hair thickness and growth. it is the precursor to cysteine, the nonessential amino acid in the body that along with pantothenic acid (pantethine) and atp, form coenzyme a, which is what our bodies use to metabolize all those lipids and keep our skin clear (im reposting this info bc some of my previous posts have been removed). a large percentage of hair consists of cysteine, and i would imagine that continued supplementation of b5 will result in the 'sucking' of cysteine from the hair follicle/strand to keep up with the pace of all the b5.

i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues. i would think that my hair would normalize with enough cysteine stores in the body. 

well everyone, good luck.....!

oizo"

http://www.healthboa...ience-b5-3.html

#22 phillyeagles91

phillyeagles91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hey here is a link. Someone back in 2005 used the coenzyme A/cysteine theory and cured his hairloss. He supplemented with methionine to stop his hairloss and then switched to n-acetyl cysteine and pantethine which he said has improved his thickness and growth. Oizo is his name: 

"to clarify, i was on pantothenic acid for nine months and had to stop due to hair loss. i then picked up pantethine at 900mg/day, thinking my hairloss would stop, and it didnt. it slowed a bit, but this was probably due to the fact that i wasnt taking enough panethine to equal the b5 i was on previously. after six months of being on pantethine, i then started the methionine at 3 pills a day..the equivalent of 1.5g. the brand is now, and each pill also comes with b6 in the form of pyridoxine..i believe it helps with absorbability. when i buy more methionine im going to switch to a brand without any b6 as i know too much of the vitamin can aggravate acne.

as for the quality of my hair while on methio, all i can say is it seemed to work really fast - im sure you would notice a difference in two to three weeks max. keep in mind i only used methionine for a month and could no longer see my scalp after that. while on b5 and pantethine, the actual girth of the hairs falling out seemed to actually decrease. this reversed with methionine. the number of hairs falling out in the shower decreased to maybe 2 as compared with upwards of 10. i seemed to be growing newer, stronger hair as well. i encourage you to research the methionine/b5 and coenzyme deal."

"heres my take so far: n-acetyl cysteine has definitely improved my hair thickness and growth. it is the precursor to cysteine, the nonessential amino acid in the body that along with pantothenic acid (pantethine) and atp, form coenzyme a, which is what our bodies use to metabolize all those lipids and keep our skin clear (im reposting this info bc some of my previous posts have been removed). a large percentage of hair consists of cysteine, and i would imagine that continued supplementation of b5 will result in the 'sucking' of cysteine from the hair follicle/strand to keep up with the pace of all the b5.

i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues. i would think that my hair would normalize with enough cysteine stores in the body. 

well everyone, good luck.....!

oizo"

http://www.healthboa...ience-b5-3.html

interedasting

#23 phillyeagles91

phillyeagles91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

any updates? hair still falling out :/ 

2 weeks in supplementing with 1.5-2g methionine and no B5 for 4 months already

#24 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Nothing to report on the hair front, everything remains normal. On the acne front after 3 months of paleo, I went and ate an entire loaf of bread. Massive break out. I have now added another gram of b5 (5g total) and 3 450mg pantheine tablets a day. Hopefully this will allow me to be less strict on my diet with no acne. Cysteine remains the same at 3g.

Regarding NAC vs L-cysteine, NAC is xenobiotic while L-cysteine isn't, so it really is up to you what to take. I found a cheaper place to buy the L-cysteine and the company I buy b5 from also sells powder NAC, here is the link.

https://www.smartpow...-500-grams.aspx

(NAC)

I can't post the second link so google l-cysteine and nutrabio.

Now the healthboard topic is very interesting as OIZO follows the exact same path I took, crazy right. He is a male who experienced hairloss from b5. He then started methionine 1.5g as did I. After a few weeks he switched to NAC ~2g (I switched to l-cysteine ~3g). He then added pantethine (not sure how much) (I added b5 4g).

Look at what he says "i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues." OIZO

I have no idea why b5/panthethine would help cysteine in regards to our hair, but maybe it does. So for those who want to follow the exact path me and OIZO took.

1. Take methionine 1.5g (primer?) for a few weeks.

2. Switch to 2-3g of NAC or L-cysteine

3. Add 4g b5 or pantethine 900-1200g?

*In addition, I did paleo+crude oil. OIZO did liver flushes. Some type of holistic program is no doubt beneficial.

Edited by itsoveryes, 31 January 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#25 phillyeagles91

phillyeagles91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Nothing to report on the hair front, everything remains normal. On the acne front after 3 months of paleo, I went and ate an entire loaf of bread. Massive break out. I have now added another gram of b5 (5g total) and 3 450mg pantheine tablets a day. Hopefully this will allow me to be less strict on my diet with no acne. Cysteine remains the same at 3g.

Regarding NAC vs L-cysteine, NAC is xenobiotic while L-cysteine isn't, so it really is up to you what to take. I found a cheaper place to buy the L-cysteine and the company I buy b5 from also sells powder NAC, here is the link.

https://www.smartpow...-500-grams.aspx

(NAC)

I can't post the second link so google l-cysteine and nutrabio.

Now the healthboard topic is very interesting as OIZO follows the exact same path I took, crazy right. He is a male who experienced hairloss from b5. He then started methionine 1.5g as did I. After a few weeks he switched to NAC ~2g (I switched to l-cysteine ~3g). He then added pantethine (not sure how much) (I added b5 4g).

Look at what he says "i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues." OIZO

I have no idea why b5/panthethine would help cysteine in regards to our hair, but maybe it does. So for those who want to follow the exact path me and OIZO took.

1. Take methionine 1.5g (primer?) for a few weeks.

2. Switch to 2-3g of NAC or L-cysteine

3. Add 4g b5 or pantethine 900-1200g?

*In addition, I did paleo+crude oil. OIZO did liver flushes. Some type of holistic program is no doubt beneficial.

How beneficial do you think the atomidine was in this whole puzzle?  Also did the hairloss completely stop with methionine for you? Or did it stop after you started cysteine?

My plan of action is as follows...if by week 3 methionine does not do anything, I'm going to switch to cysteine for a week and if that does nothing, I'll try the atomidine 7 on and 7 off for a week along with the cysteine for another week. Honestly I'm too scared to touch pantethine or b5 or anything like that again after what it did to my hair, so I'm kinda worried that apparently you  have to keep taking it to reap the benefits of NAC/cystine??huh.png

#26 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

My face started getting oily again after a few weeks of B5 and L-carnitine.

Switched to B5 and L-cysteine, and the oiliness went away.

It's been a couple weeks now and the oiliness is back.

I don't know if I should increase or decrease my dosages, or play with the ratio, or drop it altogether.

#27 patientx

patientx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

I don't know if I should increase or decrease my dosages, or play with the ratio, or drop it altogether.

That's discouraging. I was just about to start B5.

Is your acne back as well? Or is it just the oiliness but not the acne?

Is there anyone who's on B5 long term (like years) and it still works?

#28 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

That's discouraging. I was just about to start B5.

Is your acne back as well? Or is it just the oiliness but not the acne?

Is there anyone who's on B5 long term (like years) and it still works?

Just the oiliness, not the acne.

#29 mis911

mis911

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

I'm willing to try out out L-cysteine as a remedy for the hairloss effects from B5,

but first would like to be sure that L-cysteine is the best form to take in comparison to other forms,

for example N-Acetyl L cysteine & L cystine, among researching this is what Iv found,

would love feedback from anyone who understands the description given & if they can verify it for me in some way before I go ahead & choose:

http://jas.fass.org/.../jas.2006-835v1

Dietary supplementation of L Cysteine is complicated because its free
sulfhydryl group is capable of spontaneous oxidation, resulting in product instability.
Moreover, the oxidized form, cystine (Cys-Cys), is relatively insoluble, making both
forms poor candidates for enteral or parenteral nutrition formulas. Recent studies suggest
excess dietary L-Cysteine may be deleterious to animal growth and feed consumption in various

species (Dilger et al., 2007). Therefore, safe and functional alternative L-Cysteine precursor
products have been sought.
N-Acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) serves as a precursor for L-Cysteine because the -amino
nitrogen is protected by an acetyl group, and most tissues in the animal body possess the
ability to remove this acetyl group and, thus, furnish L-Cystein. For this reason, NAC has been
extensively studied as both a therapeutic agent and direct L-Cysteine precursor.

Also this comment from a member from php BB immortal hair forum:

"Basically, cysteine will not make it into the blood stream without reacting with other substances (it's unstable and becomes unusable). Basically, adding an acetyl group (turning cysteine into N-Acetylcysteine), stabilizes the molecule so that it doesn't react with other things.
Once in the bloodstream, cysteine and NAC are not the same thing. But the point is to raise glutathione levels, and NAC seems to be able do that. Cysteine is a precursor for glutathione; NAC replaces cysteine in some surrounding molecules, releasing the cysteine for glutathione production."

Thoughts?

Also would like to add that I couldn't find any documents confirming the bioavailability of L-cyteine but found a few for NAC

I look forward to any responses regarding this in Laymans terms if you please :)

#30 mis911

mis911

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Just an update on more research I read on Nac.

The best form to take is the Effervescent NOT pill form, as the powder packaged powder in pill form is exposed to air & is already oxidising hence why all pill form NAC smell bad, that is due to oxidation.

#31 phillyeagles91

phillyeagles91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Any other updates guys?

#32 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

I've been doing a 1:1 Ratio and my skin has never looked better. 500mg of each, three times a day. No hairloss. The only (minor, minor) problem is that I have twice as much B5 as L-C in stock. I'm thinking of switching to a 2:1 now that I've replenished my "L-C reserves", but I don't know... what was the reasoning for 2:1 again?

#33 patientx

patientx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've been doing a 1:1 Ratio and my skin has never looked better. 500mg of each, three times a day. No hairloss. The only (minor, minor) problem is that I have twice as much B5 as L-C in stock. I'm thinking of switching to a 2:1 now that I've replenished my "L-C reserves", but I don't know... what was the reasoning for 2:1 again?

You mentioned earlier that the oiliness had come back. Is your skin still oily? If not, what did you do to stop the oiliness?

#34 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

You mentioned earlier that the oiliness had come back. Is your skin still oily? If not, what did you do to stop the oiliness?

It's not oily any more, no. It was possibly bumping up to a 1:1 ratio that did it. Or some unknown factor. Or positive thinking, or thinking less about my skin.

#35 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Every time I've taken the B5 and L-C today I've gotten really horrible acid reflux/heartburn. The worst I've ever had, like I'm swallowing pool balls. What's up with that?

#36 nakedsmurf

nakedsmurf

Been there done that.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Like everything

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Why dont you just take b5 alone ?

#37 Blue09

Blue09

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Guys how much l-cysteine do you have to take to stop hairloss and start new growth?

#38 phillyeagles91

phillyeagles91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

Has anyone besides itsoveryes got this to stop the B5 induced hairloss? No luck for me and my methionine caps are almost finished. 

#39 patientx

patientx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Has anyone besides itsoveryes got this to stop the B5 induced hairloss? No luck for me and my methionine caps are almost finished. 

When  you said no luck for you, did you mean you've been taking B5 with L-cysteine and your hair is still falling out?

Edited by patientx, 20 February 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#40 Blue09

Blue09

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

L-cysteine has slowed my hairloss down when i pull my hair not much comes out any more, I'm using l-cysteine nac and l-methionine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users