#1 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

New Theory: Lipid Metabolism

What has transpired

Over the past 2 year multiple people have reported hair loss from megadosing b5 for short amounts of time. Many users have been tested with little conclusive evidence, most lab values coming back within normal range.  Those values out of range do not match other users results. Furthermore, It is hard to theorize why b5 can cause complete endocrine disaster involving cortisol, dht, adrenals, or the thyroid in a matter of a few weeks.

Back to basics

Coenzyme A is active in both fatty acid metabolism and sex hormone synthesis. Dr. Lit-Hung Leung theorized correctly that when the pool of coenzyme A becomes reduced, the body prioritizes sex hormone synthesis. This leads to excess fat, which is secreted as sebum and eventually leads to acne. By megadosing Vitamin B5, (a component of Coenyzme A not made by the body,) the body would no longer be deficient, thus now being able to metabolize the excess fat banishing acne. Most users did experience a dramatic improvement in our skin, unfortunately accompanied by hair loss.  Discontinuing B5 did not remedy the hair loss, for many users hair loss has gone on for years.

What’s going on?

One of the primary purposes of the skin is water retention. As expected, many lipids are contained in the skin to facilitate this purpose. When lipid metabolism goes wrong, both the skin and hair follicle can become faulty. In one paper it was found that the loss of the acyl-CoA binding protein (Acbp) results in fatty acid metabolism abnormalities in mouse hair and skin. Another paper asks the question “What is the link between altered lipid metabolism, inflammation, and disrupted hair follicles? The three studies clearly show an apparent toxic effect on hair follicle cycling—the pathology is clear. The role of these lipid metabolic pathways in normal hair follicle biology and the mechanism by which changes in these pathways cause the pathological phenotype remain unclear, and such questions need attention.” There are other papers (links at end) all pointing in the same direction-à lipid metabolism.

I propose the following theory: megadosing b5 altered lipid metabolism, triggering hair loss.  I will go even further and say, I believe altered lipid metabolism is actually the cause of male pattern baldness, but that it is triggered by genetics rather then B5 megadosing. This explains why the hair loss happens immediately, because the massive amount of COA alters lipid metabolism immediately. This was the original purpose of taking B5, was it not? There is no need to involve the thyroid, cortisols, etc. Occam’s razor applies.

What about DHT?

DHT is the soldier, not general is this war. You had DHT all your life; it is only when your hair follicles became sensitive to it that the hair loss began. Now many users have had success with nirozal, minox, propecia and Avodart. This will slow down the hair loss, but the root cause still needs to be addressed.

Potential NON-DHT Cure

If lipid metabolism is the cause, let us go straight to the lipids. Here is a presentation on adipose-derived stem cells. Listed below is also a link to a clinic in Boston for this treatment, cost $2500. There also might be a clinic in Japan or South Korea.

http://www.balanceha...-stem-cells.pdf

http://www.nehair.com/stem-cells

References:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../?report=reader

http://www.ncbi.nlm....PMC2923384/#R15

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2929004/

http://orthomolecula...v12n02-p099.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below theory incorrect, leaving it has a place holder to show it's been investigated. B5 does increase  T lvls, but this is not what causes hair loss.

Theory: B5->Coenzyme A->Pregnenolone->Testosterone->DHT->Hairloss

"Since the demand for coenzyme A increases in adolescence, the need for Cysteine must increase. Cysteine is a sulfur amino acid that is heavily used in building keratin, which is an important constituent of the skin (which increases largely in size during adolescence), growing wanted and unwanted hair, and also used in forming nails."

http://elqalatawy.hu...ented-For-Years

You can read the whole hub including all the comments. You will see no one comes back reporting hairloss. You will also see in the comments that the Hub author mentions to little cysteine causes the hairloss.

Now cysteine is needed to help build keratin, the key component in hair. Cysteine is also used to build coenzyme A when combined with b5. When the body is flooded with b5 and binds with all the cysteine , there is hardly any left ot make keratin, little keratin=little hair.

Step 1- Supplement with l-cysteine. I am taking 1.5grams l-cysteine a day for a week, no b5 though I plan to start b5 again. For those who haven't tried b5, the site recommends a 2:1 ratio. So if you took 2g of b5, you would take 1g of cysteine. If you are taking b5 and experiencing hairloss I would reverse the ratio to 1:2, but I suggest you stop the b5, wait for your hair to stop shedding, then go back on low dose b5.

Now you might have enough cysteine, but the hair isn't growing in the right place, maybe hair grows on your arms instead of your scalp. This is a link to a study on edgar cayce hair methods.
http://www.edgarcayc...ta/rebald1.html

71% experienced some hair regrowth. Cayce recommends rubbing crude oil into yout hair for 45minutes every few days. I didn't have an electric vibrator so I used my hands. Then you rinse it out with grain alchol and add vaseline after.

Step 2- Rub crude oil into your hair every other day for one hour. Rinse out (I myself used shampoo), then add vaseline. This will stimulate the scalp hairs rather than having hair grown elsewhere.

Cayce mentions atomidine to correct the thyroid. I do not know if b5 causes a thyroid imbalance, but I took it anyway.

Step 3- Atomidine one drop every day for 7 days, then 7 days off. Repeat.

In 1 week my hair has stopped shedding. There is no hair regrowth, but hair runs in 3-6 motnhs cycles so I don't expect to see any hair regrowth for at least another month. Please try this if B5 has caused you to shed. Once again for those who haven't tried b5 take b5 with cysteine in a 2:1 ratio and ignore the rest of what I wrote. Thank you all and I hope it helps. I will continue to update this thread when I can.

*step 1 was edited to replace methionine with l-cysteine. Originally I took methionine, but found l-cysteine way more effective.

Edited by itsoveryes, 05 August 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#2 phillyeagles91

phillyeagles91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Can I get a progress update? Is your hair still not shedding? Any regrowth as of yet?

I took b5 for like a little less than a month at 5-7 grams and experienced crazy shedding to my normally thick hair. Its still continued for 3 months and counting which is pretty depressing, so if this works, GOD BLESS YOU.

#3 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

95% hair growth. Hair dryer then it used to be, I use jojoba oil instead of gel when styling to counter that.

Back on B5 for the past 2 weeks, no hair shedding at all.
4grams B5/day. 3grams cysteine. (i found cysteine vastly superior to methionine, methionine adds an extra step)
B complex, tablespoon brewer's yeast which contains trace amount of cysteine, methionine
In addition I only use the crude oil once a week a now since last week.

Will post pictures I took right now below.

Edited by itsoveryes, 13 January 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#4 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Oh yea, I still take the atomidine when I remember. Hopes this helps everyone.

It must be L-cysteine,

NOT, NOT, NOT
N-ACETYL CYSTEINE

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 2.JPG
  • photo 3.JPG
  • photo.JPG
  • photo1.JPG

#5 phillyeagles91

phillyeagles91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

*Mods, can you please add the word "pictures" to this thread title, I don't know how to do it.

95% hair growth. Hair dryer then it used to be, I use jojoba oil instead of gel when styling to counter that.

4grams B5/day. 3grams cysteine. (i found cysteine vastly superior to methionine, methionine adds an extra step)
B complex, tablespoon brewer's yeast which contains trace amount of cysteine, methionine

Awesome thanks for the reply. How big of a difference between methionine and cysteine is there in terms of stopping your hairloss? I'm only asking because I already ordered the methionine. I'm not looking to take B5 anymore, I just want the hair loss it caused to stop. I took 5-7.5 grams for around 2.5 weeks and then stopped. What dose do you recommend for me? Thanks so much for the help

Edited by phillyeagles91, 10 January 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#6 nakedsmurf

nakedsmurf

Been there done that.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Like everything

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I been taking b5 6g for 6 weeks now o haven't experience any hairloss that's it mean I'm safe?

#7 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

*Mods, can you please add the word "pictures" to this thread title, I don't know how to do it.

Awesome thanks for the reply. How big of a difference between methionine and cysteine is there in terms of stopping your hairloss? I'm only asking because I already ordered the methionine. I'm not looking to take B5 anymore, I just want the hair loss it caused to stop. I took 5-7.5 grams for around 2.5 weeks and then stopped. What dose do you recommend for me? Thanks so much for the help

I would say cysteine is twice as effective as methionine. In addition you have to cycle methionine, while cysteine is recommended to be used every day by NAS (link below)

When I went from methionine to l-cysteine, I stayed at 1.5g. I weigh 150lbs so if you are closer to 200 you would bump it to 2g. The National Academy of Science says cysteine intake is based on protein intake, so if you eat a lot of meat or are taking whey protein to workout, I would consider bumping it another .5g.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=54

Don't forget the crude oil. I fogot to mention I ordered it from baar.com. One bottle basically lasts forever.

I been taking b5 6g for 6 weeks now o haven't experience any hairloss that's it mean I'm safe?

No, many people take b5 for months before experiencing hair loss. It simply means you have a higher reserve of cysteine than someone else, once it is depleted you will experience hair loss. Buy some L-cysteine and take it in a 1:2 ratio. 3g L-cysteine: 6g B5.

Once you are 100% clear, you can lower your dose of both cysteine and b5, they complement each other.

#8 nakedsmurf

nakedsmurf

Been there done that.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

I would say cysteine is twice as effective as methionine. In addition you have to cycle methionine, while cysteine is recommended to be used every day by NAS (link below)

When I went from methionine to l-cysteine, I stayed at 1.5g. I weigh 150lbs so if you are closer to 200 you would bump it to 2g. The National Academy of Science says cysteine intake is based on protein intake, so if you eat a lot of meat or are taking whey protein to workout, I would consider bumping it another .5g.

Don't forget the crude oil. I fogot to mention I ordered it from baar.com. One bottle basically lasts forever.

No, many people take b5 for months before experiencing hair loss. It simply means you have a higher reserve of cysteine than someone else, once it is depleted you will experience hair loss. Buy some L-cysteine and take it in a 1:2 ratio. 3g L-cysteine: 6g B5.

Once you are 100% clear, you can lower your dose of both cysteine and b5, they complement each other.

Do I take it separately or together ? Thanks

#9 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Do I take it separately or together ? Thanks

Together. B5 combines with the L-cysteine to form coenzyme A.

#10 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

I haven't had any hairloss while taking B5. I was told to take it with L-carnitine. That bottle's almost up, should I get L-cysteine instead now? Even without the hairloss thing since I'm not too worried about it, does L-cysteine better boost the B5 effects than L-carnitine?

Thanks

#11 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I haven't had any hairloss while taking B5. I was told to take it with L-carnitine. That bottle's almost up, should I get L-cysteine instead now? Even without the hairloss thing since I'm not too worried about it, does L-cysteine better boost the B5 effects than L-carnitine?

Thanks

B5 needs cysteine to make coenzyme A. If there is no l-cysteine, much of the b5 gets peed out by you while waiting to access the cysteine from your liver. By taking l-cysteine much less of the b5 goes to waste so you should be able to get the same affect with less b5. In addition you won't be depleting your cysteine reserves which is what leads to hair loss.

#12 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

So I'm sitting here rubbing my head and watching a dozen or so hairs fall out and realizing, "holy shit, it is true". My L-cysteine should be here this week. :P

#13 nakedsmurf

nakedsmurf

Been there done that.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

So I'm sitting here rubbing my head and watching a dozen or so hairs fall out and realizing, "holy shit, it is true". My L-cysteine should be here this week. :P

How many grams you take?

#14 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Take L-cysteine:b5 in a 2:1 dose, NOT a 1:2 dose. You need to build back up your L-cysteine reserves before going on the maintenance dose. If the hair loss gets worse you should consider stopping b5 for 2 weeks and taking l-cysteine by itself to build back reserves faster.

#15 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

One week update. Hair continues to regrows, 0% shedding.
Body acne 100% clear, face 1 active spot left.
Same regime as the one posted on Jan 10th + egg white/lemon mask (red marks)+mesocopper (red marks).

I take b5 powder+L-cysteine powder, put them both in a large water bottle and drink it through out the day so it is always in my system. Someone asked on another thread where I buy my stufff from so I posted links here also.

b5 powder-
https://www.smartpow...-600-grams.aspx

L-cysteine powder-
http://www.amazon.co...cysteine powder

crude oil-
http://www.baar.com/...670&Screen=PROD

Edited by itsoveryes, 21 January 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#16 pjjordan

pjjordan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Thanks itsoveryes. 2 years ago I took between 3 and 6 grams a day of b5 for 2 weeks and experienced crazy hair shedding which has not stopped (my skin did improved dramatically in those 2 weeks though). I can't tell if the hair shedding has slowed down, but definitely not completely and my hair gets worse everyday. Three days ago I started 4 grams of L-Cysteine per day and will keep everyone updated on my progress. I also started brewers years and a b-complex.

Itsoveryes, how much b5 did you take and for how long before you experienced hair shedding? And for how long did you shed before you started L-Cysteine? Can you tell us a little about your story? Thanks.

Thank you so much for this post. It is the most hope I have had in 2 years to restore my hair.

#17 patientx

patientx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I've read recommendations to take L-Carnitine with B5. Is it necessary to take L-Carnitine?

#18 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I've read recommendations to take L-Carnitine with B5. Is it necessary to take L-Carnitine?

It isn't necessary. L-carnitine acts as a booster to b5, but L-cysteine already performs a similar function by increasing the bioavailability of b5. The recommendations to take L-Carnitine are based on an article by Dr. Dach so it is up to you, but L-carnitine has nothing to do with protection from hair loss.

Edited by itsoveryes, 21 January 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#19 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Thanks itsoveryes. 2 years ago I took between 3 and 6 grams a day of b5 for 2 weeks and experienced crazy hair shedding which has not stopped (my skin did improved dramatically in those 2 weeks though). I can't tell if the hair shedding has slowed down, but definitely not completely and my hair gets worse everyday. Three days ago I started 4 grams of L-Cysteine per day and will keep everyone updated on my progress. I also started brewers years and a b-complex.

Itsoveryes, how much b5 did you take and for how long before you experienced hair shedding? And for how long did you shed before you started L-Cysteine? Can you tell us a little about your story? Thanks.

Thank you so much for this post. It is the most hope I have had in 2 years to restore my hair.

I started off on 2g and went as high as 10g. Then I slowly tapered down as I was 100% clear. This lasted for three months which is when I started shedding. I stopped b5, but the hair loss continued for about five weeks. Then I started the regime mentioned in the original post.

I do want to encourage you to try the crude oil since that is what I also used with the L-cysteine. I know it isn't as scientific as L-cysteine, but right now I am using an egg white/lemon mask mentioned on this board, and it is doing wonders for my red marks even though I don't know the science behind it. I hope this regime works for you and others.

#20 phillyeagles91

phillyeagles91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Please let me know if you make any progress! My situation is pretty identical to yours, i barely took it for any amount of time and the shedding went CRAZY and has continued for over 4 months. I've been taking methionine 1.5g for 6 days, but no luck in stopping the shedding. I ordered L-Cysteine and its on its way.

I'm waiting on using the crude oil like the OP says to use, but if all else fails I'll try that as well. I'm assuming Cystine is all I need though. Wish me luck and keep me updated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users