Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glycolic Acid Scar Help

4 posts in this topic

First to start off, never put anything higher than 40% glycolic acid on your face and never use it longer than 3 minutes before neutralizing it. If you've never heard of glycolic acid before do lots of research before trying it.

My mistake --> i was using 60% glycolic acid as a spot treatment, I left it on a pimple for 10 minutes. Now I have a red smark on my face, if I stretch the skin, it looks white. I believe I have a deep acid burn, at first it scabbed and now a scar remains.

This is what it looks like more than 1 year after the incident. Also before I took the picture I shaved my upper lip three times (down, sideways than up). It doesn't look so prominent with 1 days of hair growth.

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/5899/10628604.jpg

What are the cheapest, simplest non doctor options that I have if any? I don't believe this will get much better over time. I am considering using a fine nail file to scrape off the skin, I believe I'll need to do it for a long time because I think the burn is pretty deep.

Possibly hydroquinone? It just looks like hyperpigmentation right now. The good news is that it isn't permanent, but there are topicals that will speed the process up. It's such a tiny spot, though, so it seems a little silly to do peels for it.

A vitamin A based cream/lotion would definitely help. Starlite is right it looks like hyperpigmentation to me too, and not a scar.

Also, a nail file?! No, very bad! Be gentle with this spot and give your body ample time to heal it. I had a burn on my hip once and the redness took over 2 years to fade. Using something unhygienic (even if you buy a new one) as a nail file could potentially cause actual scarring and/or infection. Especially being that close to your lip. If you want to help exfoliate your skin get a good facial scrub instead.

If the redness bothers you then pop a tiny spot of concealer on it and nobody will be able to tell it's there. Otherwise, let your body do its thing. :)