vitamin a probiotic oily skin

59 replies to this topic

#1 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I've browsed all the hot topics of this forum and not much seems to really work to treat oily skin. So far I've only seen those solutions work :

- (low dose) Accutane
- High Doses of Vitamin A (Animal Form) [under the supervision of a qualified doctor]
- Vitamin B5 Megadoses (10 g a day)
- 500 mg Vitamin B5 combined with 500 mg carnitine

- Topical green tea
- Milk of magnesia (cosmetic effect)
- 1450 nm Diode Laser
- Hormonal treatments (only for females)
- Spironolactone (safe for females only)
- Peppermint oil (safe for females only)
- (Probiotics?)
- (More Fiber in Diet?)

Could someone add what I didn't mention, that really, and I insist really work for oily skin?

Edited by FredTheBelgian, 03 September 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Supplements For Acne & Oily Skin: Fish oil, Zinc (30 mg), Vitamin A (25000 IU), Vitamin B5 (500 mg) 25000 IU of Vitamin D (twice a month)

#2 melmel87

melmel87

melle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

How about a probiotic in a high dose (10 bill to 30 bill)? It's been proven to reduce sebum content and inflammation. I've been using one for awhile and can attest to this. My skin used to be very oily and I'd get cysts and since I've been taking one daily I'm experiencing dry skin and haven't had a cyst since.

#3 nakedsmurf

nakedsmurf

Been there done that.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Like everything

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

B5?

#4 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Oh yes, megadoses of vitamin B5, I forgot that one. I've never heard of probiotics affecting sebum production, I'll look into that!

Edited by FredTheBelgian, 25 August 2013 - 11:35 PM.

Supplements For Acne & Oily Skin: Fish oil, Zinc (30 mg), Vitamin A (25000 IU), Vitamin B5 (500 mg) 25000 IU of Vitamin D (twice a month)

#5 paigems

paigems

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Metformin has reduced they oilyness of my skin. Not completely, but to a more comfortable level.

#6 the uphill battle

the uphill battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Spironolactone?
"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe

#7 nakedsmurf

nakedsmurf

Been there done that.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Metformin ?
That's for Diabetes

#8 paigems

paigems

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Metformin ?
That's for Diabetes

Yeah, it's also used to treat PCOS which I have. I believe it does this by regulating blood sugar and lowering testosterone.

#9 kesh22

kesh22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I can say that adding fiber to your diet is probably a fairly effective solution and despite those who say there are not scientific studies to back this up, there really are.

Here are the scientific reasons:

1) Fiber helps to stabilize blood sugar. By gelatinizing in your stomach when taken with a healthy amount of water (water with a meal is always beneficial), SOLUBLE fiber turns into a viscous gel that lowers the rate that food leaves your stomach. This in turn reduces the glucose/blood sugar spikes that occur with otherwise a high carbohydrate meal. The scientific component to this is proofed and understood by how little acne afflicts those who eat the Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet consists of high fiber, medium carbs, healthy fats (as well as a balanced Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acid ratio), and healthy sodium levels.

2) Fiber helps your GI tract as a whole by not only keeping it in tip-top shape, but also by reducing inflammation that can be caused by a wide variety of food sources. Instead of these irritants all 'hitting' (and being absorbed) by your body at once, it helps to let those foods slowly be absorbed, reducing the likelihood of problems.

3) Fiber helps to keep your system clean. We all know the punchline when we see someone eating a high fiber meal that they must be fixing 'exit' issues, but this is only to their benefit. People who have a smooth running digestive system, which means intake and exhaust have a healthier immune system. As we all know, acne is a common immune system issue as well as digestive issue tied in with hormonal issues. Fiber, wonderfully helps to treat this in all three ways, one by reducing blood sugar spikes which change hormonal levels, two by keeping the system running efficiently and reducing inflammation, and three by allowing your body the time it needs to process otherwise difficult to process foods.

When we all stop and look around these forums, we notice that the vitamin/mineral deficiency theory gets brought up a lot in the holistic section, but why don't we look more into how most people are not getting an adequate intake of fiber, which is in itself a deficiency.

Just my $0.02

#10 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Oily skin.

Achievements

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

I think Accutane and hormonal treatments are the only things that you can count on to reduce sebum. B5 works for a lot of people, but it eventually leads to hair loss. Vitamin a megadosing could work, but if you take enough for it to work, it will damage your liver worse than Accutane. I doubt milk of magnesia or probiotics will significantly decrease oil. I don't know what a 1450 nm Diode laser is, but I know blue lasers only work temporarily. Red lasers are claimed to be permanent, but I don't know if they really are. There is also a prescription called Bromocriptine that could work by decreasing prolactin in the body. I'm following this thread about it: http://www.acne.org/...may-cause-acne/

Eating a low glycemic load diet could help if you have insulin resistance.

If you are thinking about getting a low dose of Accutane, make your appointment now, because getting Accutane is a long process.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

• Probiotics 25 billion organisms/day

• Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser 2x/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#11 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I would never touch accutane with a ten foot pole. I took bromocriptine for 3 months because of prolactin issues and it did nothing for my oily skin. So what we are left with is the laser?

#12 nakedsmurf

nakedsmurf

Been there done that.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Fiber theory sounds legit.

I been taking a glass full of water with a scoop of fiber once daily and I been popping 2 to 3 times daily smooth and large amounts (sorry for the details) ha.

#13 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I been taking a glass full of water with a scoop of fiber once daily and I been popping 2 to 3 times daily smooth and large amounts (sorry for the details) ha.

You've been "popping", or you've been "POOPING"?? Posted Image

#14 kesh22

kesh22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Fiber theory sounds legit.

and how has your skin been, wait a week or two and let us know

#15 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

I made a thread about my experiment with peppermint oil and how it decreased oil production in the area where I applied it. It's not a quick fix, and so far it has only decreased my oil production, not eliminated it. But if you're interested in a long-term remedy with little or no side-effects, peppermint oil is worth looking into.

#16 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

Be carefull with that, I'm going to put it in the treatments for females only: http://immortalhair....astia-man-boobs

Edited by FredTheBelgian, 15 December 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#17 Cyberpile

Cyberpile

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

High doses of Vitamin A from fish liver oil.

#18 kesh22

kesh22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

High doses of Vitamin A from fish liver oil.

be careful dude, anytime I hear 'high dose' I cringe.

If you're using a 'high dose' you are basically medicating yourself. It's a whole lot different than a lifestyle change per se.

I would honestly recommend a high fiber diet along with a multivitamin, and then, if you're stilling having issues with oily skin, try using a head and shoulders face wash in the morning followed by some kind of spf moisturizer. Those are 'lifestyle'/holistic treatments more/less, but using high doses of anything is really tipping the balance of some other critical function that your body needs.

It's all about balance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by kesh22, 17 December 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#19 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Be carefull with that, I'm going to put it in the treatments for females only: http://immortalhair....astia-man-boobs

I don't doubt that peppermint oil could possibly have a noticeable estrogenic effect on the body, but that's the first time I've seen someone claim that topical peppermint oil caused gynecomastia. Not to mention the guy in that thread admitted that not only did he already have natural "man boobs" due to his weight, but also that he thought his gynecomastia was actually caused by the milk thistle he had been taking.

Ingesting peppermint is another story. I've heard of estrogenic side-effects emerging as a result of drinking large amounts of peppermint tea, for example. But I don't really see a cause for concern as far as topical application goes.

And for what it's worth, I have been applying peppermint oil to my nose for over a year with no side-effects to speak of.

#20 vincevega

vincevega

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Why would you not consider a low-dose accutane course? Trouwens, Nederlandstalige of Franstalige Belg?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users