Photo

White Pustules Around Mouth/nose. Pictures Included.

pustules pus

5 replies to this topic

#1 t0m

t0m

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hi,

Pictures here!

I seem to just get horrible white pustules come and go around my mouth area and in the corners of my nose. I have been to the doctors 7 or 8 times in the last year trying to get rid of this.

They have told me they think it could be a number of things. A bacterial infection, folliculitis, mild acne. I have been on Fluloxacillin (sp?) twice for 2 week period first (which very almost cleared it up fully), then a further 2 week period with little effect. I was then put on oxytetracycline, was on that for a long period with little effect and now they have put me in lymecycline.

I take my medication religiously and have tried many topical treatments.

Does anybody else have something similar, what can I try? I know its not as bad as a lot of peoples on here, but it really affects me as its right on the lip line in a lot of cases.

Thanks.

#2 grubby456

grubby456

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I have the EXACT same things as you, the only thing that has worked for me is benzoyl peroxide, it get rid of bumps 100% but redness remains (better than nothing)

update if you have found something, apparently hibiclens could be our answer (haven't tried yet)

#3 Krik

Krik

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hello, after long, long search, I have finnaly found someone with exaclty same type of skil problem as I, for many years now.
Have anyone had something like this and found any proper treatment or anything that could improve this type of condition? Any answer would be very appreciated.
Thanks

#4 t0m

t0m

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hello, update time!

In the last couple of years I have managed to get it to a manageable state.  I have since been completely clear on specific medication.

I however have been unable to use my desired medication because of side effects and since changing antibiotic it has creeped back a bit.  I am much more comfortable now though, it is no where near as bad as I have had it previously.

I live in the UK so my medication is most likely from various parts of the EU, not sure if the same brands are available in the US(if you are from US), but the actual drugs themselves should be about.

I am using a retinoid called adapalene (Differin is the brand) every night, just spread over the affected areas

I use a chlorhexidine solution on the affected area in the mornings when I shower. (Cepton is the brand)

The antibiotic I took to get clear was Minocycline.  But you cannot stay on this antibiotic forever.  It can cause discolouration of your skin (typically gums, makes the go brown) and is bad for your kidney or liver, I forget which.  The dermatologist suggested I only stay on it for a maximum of 18months.

I think I stopped short of 18months just recently, I was at about 15months(1 month ago) and reverted back to Lymecycline.  Changing antibiotic has brought about a recurrence of my skin problems, but it is a lot milder and I expected it!  I'm going to give Lymecycline a good 3 - 6months to kick in.  After that period I hope to be clear again.

I use tea tree oil to spot treat.  I get a q-tip(cotton bud in the UK), run one end under a trickling cold tap then pour 1 drop of tea tree oil on the same end and just dab it over any areas I can see a spot forming. 

That isnt all!

Every morning post shower, I tone my face with a toner and cotton swab and moisturise with a typical 15spf sun cream.

I'll break it down.

Morning:

Shower (chlorhexidine@face) > Post shower I tone my skin > Immediately after I tea tree oil spot treat (if any) > moisturise with sun cream

After work when I get home:

Check face for possible spots > tea tree oil treatment if necessary

Night(just before bed):

Antibiotic > Apply Adapelene > goto sleep tongue.png

I dont shave, just trim my beard.  I have found shaving to be both a help and a hindrance, I am not keen using a blade on my face when I have pustules as they can cause a right mess, at the same time they can also make them disappear before they even start.  I just try and avoid shaving as I already have a long regimen (for me anyway!) and only shave if its just getting awful.

I am currently happy!

Please let me know if any of you have found a good solution.

Edit: Added some comparison pictures! Before(late 2012) and After(Apr 2014).

Edited by t0m, 28 April 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#5 Krik

Krik

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Woah, didnt expect for such fast reply. Thanks!
But antibiotics and creams you listed, seem to be very strong medicine, arent you afraid that using them long-term could do a big damage to your body?

#6 silverlight22

silverlight22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Hello, update time!

In the last couple of years I have managed to get it to a manageable state.  I have since been completely clear on specific medication.

I however have been unable to use my desired medication because of side effects and since changing antibiotic it has creeped back a bit.  I am much more comfortable now though, it is no where near as bad as I have had it previously.

I live in the UK so my medication is most likely from various parts of the EU, not sure if the same brands are available in the US(if you are from US), but the actual drugs themselves should be about.

I am using a retinoid called adapalene (Differin is the brand) every night, just spread over the affected areas
I use a chlorhexidine solution on the affected area in the mornings when I shower. (Cepton is the brand)

The antibiotic I took to get clear was Minocycline.  But you cannot stay on this antibiotic forever.  It can cause discolouration of your skin (typically gums, makes the go brown) and is bad for your kidney or liver, I forget which.  The dermatologist suggested I only stay on it for a maximum of 18months.

I think I stopped short of 18months just recently, I was at about 15months(1 month ago) and reverted back to Lymecycline.  Changing antibiotic has brought about a recurrence of my skin problems, but it is a lot milder and I expected it!  I'm going to give Lymecycline a good 3 - 6months to kick in.  After that period I hope to be clear again.

I use tea tree oil to spot treat.  I get a q-tip(cotton bud in the UK), run one end under a trickling cold tap then pour 1 drop of tea tree oil on the same end and just dab it over any areas I can see a spot forming. 

That isnt all!

Every morning post shower, I tone my face with a toner and cotton swab and moisturise with a typical 15spf sun cream.

I'll break it down.

Morning:
Shower (chlorhexidine@face) > Post shower I tone my skin > Immediately after I tea tree oil spot treat (if any) > moisturise with sun cream

After work when I get home:
Check face for possible spots > tea tree oil treatment if necessary

Night(just before bed):
Antibiotic > Apply Adapelene > goto sleep tongue.png

I dont shave, just trim my beard.  I have found shaving to be both a help and a hindrance, I am not keen using a blade on my face when I have pustules as they can cause a right mess, at the same time they can also make them disappear before they even start.  I just try and avoid shaving as I already have a long regimen (for me anyway!) and only shave if its just getting awful.

I am currently happy!

Please let me know if any of you have found a good solution.

Edit: Added some comparison pictures! Before(late 2012) and After(Apr 2014).

Hey man..I have the same problem as you and am currently trying to wean off antibiotics. I think you have perioral dermatitis. All I can say is that as soon as you become resistant to the antibiotics, you might break out worse than before. This is because antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut as well causing leaky gut and candida overgrowth. Google this stuff up and you'll understand what I mean. Try natural things like apple cider vinegar and probiotics (instead of antibiotics) cut out sugar and dairy and you'll notice a huge difference. This type of acne is the most annoying and trust me antibiotics and topical treatment only make it worse in the future. They're good temporary options though. But you don't want to become resistant to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users