zinc

32 replies to this topic

#21 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

Try Johnson's Head-To-Toe Baby Wash, and some Triple Antibiotic Ointment! This one-two punch has killed it for me, try it!

Volvo For Life!

#22 Tom Busby

Tom Busby

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

Try Hegor 150 climbazole shampoo, sold on eBay.  It's fairly effective but has harsh SLS and SLES surfactants, so it's not perfect.

#23 Tarkus

Tarkus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Manticore:

I'd like to comment on your situation.

I suffered with Mature Adult Acne for a long time. Eventually, after a couple of years of late-onset scalp acne, I was referred to Prof WJ Cunliffe at the Leeds Nuffield. (I believe he has now retired) Prof Cunliffe is The leading expert on acne and he prescribed me 'low-dose, long-term isotretinoin'.

This is a treatment plan he pioneered, suited to mature adults with recalcitrant acne, not just scalp acne. He had many patients using his system.

For me, the dose was 40mg on Monday and Friday, and the results on my scalp acne was almost immediate and prolonged. It also completely cleared up those niggling, annoying and embarrassing breakouts I'd had for years.

With low-dose treatment, I didnt need blood-tests, I had no side-effects and the clearance was 100%. If I stopped taking the isotretinoin, the acne would reappear eventually, but two weeks of low-dose had it back under total control.

I would add that I'm no stranger to isotretinoin. I'd had three full courses, one in the USA and two prescribed in the UK, over a 10 year period. Very rare to need even a second course. I've read isotretinoin horor stories but none applied to me. Side effects are all dose-related and easy to control.

It's a blind hope that acne will eventually fade away, but it's impossible to say when. Trying and trialing all combinations of expensive products is demoralising. Isotretinoin is a proven, well-researched, cost-effective and totally effective way forward.

Your GP will not precribe it. The waiting list for an NHS dermatologist is months. A private consultant Derm would be far more likely to prescribe the low-dose if he's at all familiar with Prof Cunliffe's work. He should be. I eventually saw a derm on the NHS who continued my treatment, as he'd been a student under Prof Cunliffe.

I would add that in the late '90s I was writing a book on acne, using my collection of 1100 research papers on every possible acne treatment. However threats of expensive legal action from a big pharmaceutical company who didn't like my conclusions on their product meant I had to shelve it, so I know a great deal about the subject.

I found your post because I'm looking at a suitable shampoo. Betadine was my most effective choice previously. Although I keep a stock of 20mg isotretinoin, I don't like to use it if I have just one or two painful scalp spots now and again. If it returned to previous levels, I would not hesitiate to start the low-dose regime once more.

Hope this information is useful to you.

#24 psychokitty

psychokitty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I use to use dessert essence tea tree replenishing shampoo and it worked really well. I think I'm starting to get scalp acne again because of the well water here is so harsh with iron it builds up on my scalp. I'm going to try a apple cider vinegar rinse which gets rid of any build up. Apparently it doesn't smell at all after it dries.

#25 germandolls

germandolls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

I dont know if this could apply to anyone here, but me personally, I have really sensitive skin so a lot of shampoos that have the chemicals and fragrance in it makes my scalp break out...
ive been using Dessert Essence unscented shampoo and conditioner, it is all natural oils, no SLS, no fragrance, and I haven't had any problems on my scalp with it

#26 gbinct

gbinct

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

Does anyone know where the Ceanel shampoo is available for purchase in the USA?  I cannot find it online anywhere. 

#27 ZhenZhu

ZhenZhu

licensed esthetician 2004

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I cleared my worst breakout in a 20 yr acne battle with Rx Chinese herbs.

Achievements

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

Paul Mitchell makes a great Tea Tree shampoo

• Clear Skin and Anxiety Maintenance Routine:
  • Supplements: Shi wei Bei Du Tang (powder by Sun Ten) and the Zhen Zhu An Chuang Pan (tablets by Guang Ci Tang)  both for acne+ other Chinese mood stabilizers. 
  •  20,000IU+ of Vitamin D/day (+ antioxidants and multi with minerals)
  • Diet: Ultra Meal and Orac Energy Greens shakes- no meat, coffee,  dairy, gluten or alcohol
  • Topical: crysanthemum and MSM baths and cleansing with Proactiv Deep and Kavi Coral on Konjac sponge to exfoliate, and Jason Aloe and Tea Tree and Hyaluronic Acid to heal and hydrate. 
  • Lifestyle: 8 hrs sleep, light exercise only, >1hr sun exposure daily, no fluoride toothpastes, no sulfate shampoos, clean shower/pillowcase.

#28 Emily54

Emily54

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have had moderate scalp acne on and off. I need to use products without sls or parabens or I get scalp breakouts. I highly recommend the live clean brand apple cider shampoo. Not medicated but I have not had any scalp acne since I started using it. Not sure it is readily available in the us, but it is super cheap in Canada. GL.

#29 Manticore

Manticore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:11 AM

@Tarkus...thanks for your informative post.

Although my scalp acne is annoying, it's not severe, and now that i'm continuing with the T/Gel, it's almost eliminated.

If it was more severe, then perhaps I would consider your recommendation, but at the moment things are looking good.

Nice user name btw.cool.png

Edited by Manticore, 21 August 2014 - 04:13 AM.

My Gallery photos - Clear in 8 weeks:-
http://www.acne.org/...my-spotsworked/

#30 Tabor

Tabor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'm in my late forties and have never had scalp acne until the last couple of months. I've always rotated between H&S and the Tea Tree shampoo at Trader Joes. Since this acne just started the last couple of months I tried something different called T/Sal. This seems help dry it up right after the wash but by the next day the acne is back to normal, of course it probably doesn't help that I'm poking it when assessing if it's there.

I was thinking about trying some Pine Tar shampoo that my granddad used to talk about or use. I probably won't find it at the store but I might see that T/Gel therefore I'll give that a try.

thanks for all the imputs

#31 Tabor

Tabor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Update:

I thought I would finish the bottle of T/Sal, since it's not that much anyway, before trying something different and it dried it up. I'm almost done with the small bottle of T/Sal and the scalp acne is just about gone. When I finish the bottle I'm debating on buying another and continue using T/Sal or going back to the Trader Joe's Tea Tree and H&S rotation.

I did buy a botttle of GrandPa's Pine Tar Shampoo for back up and I must say the smell is verry strong. I haven't had to use it and if I do I will have to use a strong smelling conditioner to help reduce the smell.

T/Sal for the win.

#32 Tom Busby

Tom Busby

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:56 AM

There's no such thing as scalp acne.  You have a skin allergy involving malassezia.  Pine tar and T-Sal is high button boots.  Buy some Hegor 150 shampoo and see if you have results.

#33 Tabor

Tabor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:27 AM

I've already started the pine tar shampoo and the smell has a strong musky turpentine odor with a hint of something pleasant, but not enough of that hint and my conditioner's smell has been buried. I'm going to mix it with Trader Joes Tea Tree shampoo and use the same conditioner to see if I can get that smell under the wraps. The pine tar doesn't seem to dry it up right after the wash like T/Sal however I didn't use a conditioner with T/Sal. For certain nothing has flared up so far.

I already have some of the therapeutic T/Sal on order, since it just about knocked it out. I threw the original bottle away so I'm not sure if I ordered the exact type of T/Sal, there are three that I noticed.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users