Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accutane Is Poison

70 posts in this topic

Posted · This comment is awaiting approval by a moderator · Report post

Livetoregret: you've been told in countless threads to stop this childish scare-mongering, why do you continue? I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum, by now, knows about your bad experience on accutane. But what you seem to forget is that you are only 1 case. You got put on a way too high dose of Accutane (if I remember correctly) by a shitty dermatologist. You go around posting how bad your experience was, telling people to never take it, even though it might be their only chance of living a happy life, you tell people to be glad they have oily skin, even though it's getting them down, etc.

What I'm getting at is...I don't see the point in what you're doing. All this scare-mongering and warning people of how evil accutane is, isn't going to stop people trying accutane. So why do it? Sure, tell them to be careful and take every precaution possible and re-think their choice until they are absolutely 100% sure, but don't just spend your time worrying people and spreading negative vibes just for the sake of it. Because this is making you come across as a selfish, whiney person who's main concern is to get as much sympathy as possible.

Do what your "about me" says you came here to do: find answers to heal your body before you put myself out of your misery. Don't spread that misery, don't make others feel miserable just because you do.

I think you neglected to read the title of this thread. take your judgmental attitude else where. I am entitled to post whatever the hell I like.

I am not an isolated case at all, there are many people suffering due to this medication not just on this website, dont be so ignorant.

The only thing I seem to have neglected is your stubbornness. Oh well, I tried. You can post whatever the hell you like, but know that you whine like a child and spread negative waves so don't expect any sympathy or help from me.

Im spreading THE TRUTH and I really do not care what you think as you are completely ignoran - especially if you think Im an isolated case.

Your posts come across like a pouty 14 year old with attitude.

Why dontcha go take a nice course of accutane at say 60mg and come tell me what you've been though after a year or two.

GFY mate

I expect nothing from you or anyone else on this site.

1 person likes this

Livetoregret: you've been told in countless threads to stop this childish scare-mongering, why do you continue? I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum, by now, knows about your bad experience on accutane. But what you seem to forget is that you are only 1 case. You got put on a way too high dose of Accutane (if I remember correctly) by a shitty dermatologist. You go around posting how bad your experience was, telling people to never take it, even though it might be their only chance of living a happy life, you tell people to be glad they have oily skin, even though it's getting them down, etc.

What I'm getting at is...I don't see the point in what you're doing. All this scare-mongering and warning people of how evil accutane is, isn't going to stop people trying accutane. So why do it? Sure, tell them to be careful and take every precaution possible and re-think their choice until they are absolutely 100% sure, but don't just spend your time worrying people and spreading negative vibes just for the sake of it. Because this is making you come across as a selfish, whiney person who's main concern is to get as much sympathy as possible.

Do what your "about me" says you came here to do: find answers to heal your body before you put myself out of your misery. Don't spread that misery, don't make others feel miserable just because you do.

I think you neglected to read the title of this thread. take your judgmental attitude else where. I am entitled to post whatever the hell I like.

I am not an isolated case at all, there are many people suffering due to this medication not just on this website, dont be so ignorant.

The only thing I seem to have neglected is your stubbornness. Oh well, I tried. You can post whatever the hell you like, but know that you whine like a child and spread negative waves so don't expect any sympathy or help from me.

Im spreading THE TRUTH and I really do not care what you think as you are completely ignoran - especially if you think Im an isolated case.

Why dontcha go take a nice course of accutane at say 60mg and come tell me what you've been though after a year or two.

GFY mate

just ignore that guy. he has nothing better to do. smh

GFY mate

You're scare-mongering based on a single case that obviously had a lot of risks, you should have known about, attached to it. I am not ignorant, I'm just telling you the way I see it, which is that you come across as an attention-craving, self-pittying borefest who'd rather spend her time whining, moaning and scare-mongering than actually looking for answers..

Oh and I'm the pouty 14 year old with attitude? Who answers every reply she doesn't like with "I don't care what you say" or "you are ignorant" or "I'll say whatever I want to say". And who just told me to go fuck myself? You do, idiot.

Grow up. If I'm as sad as you are at 31, the accutane side-effects would be the least of my worries

1 person likes this

No actually - my 'scaremongering' is based on the facts of not only my experience but countless others, if your so keen to shoot people down maybe you should learn about it.

And no,It doesnt matter to me how you see things because clearly you have no concept of what I or others are going through fighting to get our lives back as your primary concern is oily skin. Poor baby.

Clearly you have no concept of the severity of this drug and are so blind and yes completely *ignorant* to the reality of the pain & suffering it creates so many so yes, your opinions regarding the drug or the way you see it mean squat.

You're incredibly childish for a 31 year old woman. You sure those numbers are in the right order?

The facts are: you generalize, you think you've had the worst luck ever, you're condescending, you act as if the whole world is against you and you're the only one with a problem... well here's a wake-up call you miserable old bat, whining as much as humanly possible and scaring everyone into thinking accutane is poison (while it can be a very worthwhile drug, if administered properly) will NOT benefit you or anyone else on this board and it will not make problems go away.

You mock other people's problems while you beg for sympathy for yours, don't you see the irony in that?

Last post you're gonna get out of me, you're just too selfish, stubborn and childish to spend anymore time on and I don't want to give you the attention you so desperately crave for. I hope nobody on here helps you, you don't deserve it.

1 person likes this

@livetoregret

First off, I've read your other posts and I know you're having a really rough time. I wish you the best if luck! However, not every success story is fake, I know 5 people personally who have taken it and seen their acne go into complete remission. My teacher has taken it 3 times. So not everyone has horror story side effects.

@livetoregret

First off, I've read your other posts and I know you're having a really rough time. I wish you the best if luck! However, not every success story is fake, I know 5 people personally who have taken it and seen their acne go into complete remission. My teacher has taken it 3 times. So not everyone has horror story side effects.

@livetoregret

Hi and thanks.

I will refer to the above post and leave it at that. Thanks.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

'blahblah82', on 03 Dec 2012 - 12:47, said:snapback.png

While I do think the original poster was rather tasteless for starting a post in this fashion - especially when there's a PINNED negative accutane posts thread - I think you're wrong about an obscene amount of misinformation that's dominating the topic of accutane. On the contrary, I believe it's exactly the other way around. Because the success stories are SO powerful to the minds of the incredibly DESPERATE acne sufferers, it's the success stories of accutane "recommenders" like yourselves that dominate the minds of the readers when they're making a so-called "educated decision" to go on this drug.

While I do not want to demonize you or anyone else who recommends accutane, I believe it's an absurd and incredibly irresponsible thing to recommend this drug to anyone. The ones who suffer from these side-effects are NOT the extreme few as you state. While I myself am not dying with disease XYZ like some extreme posters claim, the side-effects are inevitable to just about anyone; even you can develop side effects years after popping that last pill.

According to studies done by Roche, Accutane effectively deters acne in 90% of its patients and keeps the acne off for 60%. Keep in mind these figures are done by the ones who sell the drug. Even then, is 60% chance of keeping acne off worth gambling putting a healthy young body at risk? The calculus simply does not add up.

Again, the original poster is rather tasteless in his way of sending his so called message. However, his message is the right one. It's simply ludicrous to take accutane.

if you guys go on google images and search for 'severe acne' and you see the photos - if you look like that, which 90% of you probably don't then take accutane.

if you don't look like that, then don't take it. Its for SEVERE acne.

but i guess everyone who has acne considers theirs as severe.

1 person likes this

bumping this thread - here I am its March 2013 and my side effects are worse than ever, sadly heading into my third year of post roaccutane side effects with no end in site...

1 person likes this

Seriously, I just want to start off with saying that Accutane is literally poison. I can provide substantial evidence support that it's poison. For one, the ingredients consist of a lot of hydrogenated oils. Hydrogenated oils are poison in themselves. I will continue to follow up with posts to support this new topic.

BTW, Accutane and generic manufactures are under fire right now because of the damages Accutane has caused. For those that write about a "positive" experience on a Accutane treatment plan, they are either lying, sales representatives/ both, or just purely lucked out.

I agree with you, it is an extremely dangerous drug. I have cystic acne and it is just a debilitating and horrible struggle, but I would not risk having a lifetime of erectile dysfunction, psychosis, seizures, having an organ removed, chron's disease, etc. to treat my skin problem. It is a leukemia drug remarketed for acne treatment. The risks of Accutane are highly understated too. If you check out physician Dr. Mercola's findings on the side effects based on his research of the available medical data, it is so alarming I cannot imagine why anyone would take this risk, even for the worst kind of acne.

However, realize you may not get a lot of friends on this part of the message board regarding acctuane. Many have already taken the plunge into taking Accutane and don't want to hear what might happen to them, and I don't blame them. It's downright frightening.

Head over to holistic part of the forum and you will find some like minded people. Also, remember...a lot of people are willing to risk death, mental illness, and other severe side effects to get rid of their acne. I don't agree with it, but a lot of them know full well what they are getting themselves into and at the end of the day its their body and their choice.

1 person likes this

Everything is poison. Fried chicken is poison. Alcohol is poison.

Accutance fixed my skin the way nothing else ever could. The side effects were barely noticable. Accutance was the best decision I've ever made. I'm honestly bitter against all of the people who warned me against it all these years, because I could have had clear skin a lot sooner if I wasn't hesitating for no reason.

~May the night always embrace it's own~

Untitlfed.jpg

Everything is poison. Fried chicken is poison. Alcohol is poison.

Accutance fixed my skin the way nothing else ever could. The side effects were barely noticable. Accutance was the best decision I've ever made. I'm honestly bitter against all of the people who warned me against it all these years, because I could have had clear skin a lot sooner if I wasn't hesitating for no reason.

You must remember, just because it helped you does not mean that it hasn't hurt others. Also, please don't compare it to something as benign as fried chicken. I mean come on....fried chicken is not healthy to eat frequently, but it holds no comparison to what happens to those who take just one course, or even one pill, of Accutane.

A meal of fried chicken or the moderate use of alcohol will not cause irreversible sexual dysfunction, brain swelling, pancreatitis, stroke, hearing loss, require organs to be removed, cause seizures, tinnitus, or is a class X tetrogen, the strongest class known to man which almost ensures that all fetuses will be deformed in some way if taken during pregnancy. There are hundreds, if not thousands of articles and letters written by physicians in medical journals, blogs, websites, etc that go over in depth just how many side effects Accutane causes. They are extremely easy to find too on the internet. The chances of side effects are highly distorted, as anyone who is familiar with clinical trials know the data is always skewed to result in FDA approval. Many side effects are underreported, or simply people who complain are dropped conviniently out of the trial and not counted. More importantly, a host of severe side effects also occur long after the drug is taken too, which are not reported by the drug manufacturer. Yet even the distorted, and blatantly false data that comes directly from the drug maker is alarming.

For every couple people like yourself who claims to have a harmless experience, it is likely there is one person who is moderately to severely affected by its side effects. It could be a man in their early twenties who will never be able to make love again without prescription medication, or a woman who has a lifetime of hearing problems or hair loss, or another who is a stroke victim. Someone who lost their son, wife, or father to suicide because of this drug would feel so angry and upset with someone comparing this drug to fried chicken and saying everything in life is poison.

There are thousands of stories of people who have been affected horribly by this drug, many on this website, not to mention countless successful lawsuits and confirmed suicides (Even the crooked FDA has confirmed almost 200 so far, but its likely far higher). I'd like to see an article about how eating fried chicken directly causes seizures and suicide.

Just because it helped you does not give you the right to compare it foods/products that are nowhere near the level of harm of Accutane. Let's be real. If it worked for you, great. You no longer have acne. Be proud. You may have dodged the biggest bullet in your life. Just don't downplay the danger to others who may be considering this drug. They must know the dangers and hear the stories if they truly want to make an informed decision if the risk is worth it.

I would also encourage you to read into some threads on this board about people who years down the road are having serious medical problems caused by their accutane use. Problems that started a year or two later in otherwise healthy, young individuals. More importantly, do some research and listen to the physicians/dermatologists/public health officials who have come out publicly saying that this drug should never even be prescribed for a skin condition because its so dangerous.

I am happy for you that it did not cause you harm and your struggle with acne has subsided or been completely resolved. I believe it is every persons right to take Accutane they see fit, and if it works out for you that is amazing (not just because you no longer suffer with acne, but you are not dead or injured). Just don't downplay it so childishly, these can be dangerous statements. You say you are bitter at those who warned you, and you have the right to feel that way. However, there are also those out there whose health is now seriously compromised whose only wish was that somebody would have warned them about the dangers.

I'm not looking to get into a debate here about Accutane, just be aware that there are people who are suffering horribly, and others who are no longer with us because they took this drug and to define it as just a poison like everything else is very careless.

2 people like this

Making posts like that though makes people on here think that all of those horrible things are the norm, and they aren't. Most people that go on accutane don't have any worse of an experience than I did.

And the thing I want everyone to realize is that people come on this website and post things online because they're having a problem, not because everything is great. The majority of the people on this site that go on accutane probably never post here again because their skin in clear and they're doing fine, that's why it seems like there are so many bad accutane stories, when in reality, the good stories just never get told. That's the way the world works, only bad news gets reported.

Every medication has possible bad side effects, accutance is no different. But I just want to remind people that the chance of having those severe side effects is very small, and not to be misled by the disproportunate information they read on the internet.

Untitlfed.jpg

You are speaking based on personal experience ("I was fine, and most people I know were fine). I was mostly talking about evidence. I can agree that people tend to come online to complain a lot. Kind of like Yelp. Few go online to talk about how great a restaurant was, only how bad the service sucked, etc. So let's put all the internet stories aside. Let's put personal experience aside.

Researching the raw data, the confirmed deaths, the FDA reports, the admitted severe side effects and the confirmed birth defects, suicides, not to mention the reports published in medical journals it is evident that severe side effects are not as rare and uncommon as people once thought. They are actually reported so often that Accutane has been a topic of discussion in congress. But, what do you expect from a cancer drug that was remarketed into an acne treatment? Let's not forget, this drug was made to treat and still is prescribed for Leukemia. Hence, the very severe side effects. It was just remarketed for Accutane by Roche Pharmaceuticals, although they eventually discontinued it because they lost every single lawsuit that came their way which amounted to millions of dollars to people that had organs removed, chron's disease, etc.

Does this mean most people on Accutane commit suicide and have seizures? Of course not. But the severe side effects are vast, covering everything from hair loss to nervous system damage and IBS. Its a laundry list. Add all the serious harmful side effects and the reported data and you actually have a boatload that suddenly doesn't seem that uncommon.

When you look at all the lawsuits and confirmed FDA rulings, the concerned Dermatogists and GPs who go out of their way to discuss the dangers, the side effects are REAL, they happen frequently, and although not everyone dies or has a stroke....it is obvious a ton of people are suffering from this and people are pissed. Parents have lost their children to suicide. I think it is up to 160 FDA confirmed cases, but let's be honest, it's likely much higher. Researchers have scanned the brains of Accutane users, most notably in 2004, and found that there is a decrease in frontal lobe activity which effects mood and social interaction, thus the increase in suicide is not unfounded. This isn't heresay or internet complaints. People are dead now. You can't say benzoyl peroxide did that. You can't say eating fired chicken did that. Accutane did that...and thats just suicide, thats not counting heart attack, stroke, etc. and its not counting survivors that have to live a life of pain and suffering.

I think people have the right to take what they want. But let's not try to sugarcoat this. Accutane is an extremely dangerous drug that was intended for cancer. Taking it puts you at significant risk for both mental and physical illness that can be permanent and life threatening. Eating fried chicken or drinking a glass of wine are so completely opposite in terms of side effects that comparing Accutane to these things is like comparing smoking crack cocaine to drinking a cup of black tea. Any quick google search about Accutanes severe side effects will bring up a plethora of documented medical journal articles, court rulings, and government reports. I could send you links but it is so easy to acquire this data it would be a waste of my time as any intelligent person could find it within minutes. There are leaked memos from the FDA that its epidemiology department begged to get the drug pulled off the market as early as the 1980's.

It may have worked for you without severe side effects. You may know a lot of people in your inner circle who took it and didn't suffer. That's great. But your inner circle and your personal experience can't go up against documented evidence and FDA confirmed cases of death. I just wanted to tell you, please, don't sugarcoat it. I think any rational individual who does their homework and reads this data will find what i'm saying pretty rational. I don't feel like I or any one else in these forums who speak out against Accutane are being alarmist, we are being reasonable and speaking about the available data. We just get concerned when others ignore it and write off countless documented deaths and suffering as paranoia...or worse, compare it with eating fried chicken.

At this point, DarkDragon, I have said all I can say in this thread, so i'm out after this post. Didn't mean to single you out, you are a veteran member and I really have no issue with you, just the statement you made. Its not worth going into a whole debate about whether or not Accutane is dangerous or not. The evidence speaks loudly for itself. In this area of the forum, debates about Accutane go nowhere fast and its really not worth the time and energy to prove my point when the evidence is widely available. I just had a problem with the way you compared Accutane to commonly consumed food and drink, as I believe that is a potentially dangerous statement to readers of the forum interested in the drug.

1 person likes this

When I first went to my dermatologist to inquire about accutane, I asked her about all of these possible side effects. She said she currently had 46 patients on accutane, and that every one of them was doing great, and none had anything more than chapped lips for side effects. That's reality. The internet is not.

Everything you mentioned I've heard as a warning on pretty much every medication commercial I've ever seen. Any medication can mess a person up if that person has a bad reaction. But it's not common. The only reason accutane gets so much flack for it is because the world doesn't see acne as a real problem, and therefore doesn't think it's treatment warrents the same risks as other medical issues. But we all know better. Acne can mess up our entire lives, and to me, it was certainly worth the small risk to cure it.

Untitlfed.jpg

When I first went to my dermatologist to inquire about accutane, I asked her about all of these possible side effects. She said she currently had 46 patients on accutane, and that every one of them was doing great, and none had anything more than chapped lips for side effects. That's reality. The internet is not.

Everything you mentioned I've heard as a warning on pretty much every medication commercial I've ever seen. Any medication can mess a person up if that person has a bad reaction. But it's not common. The only reason accutane gets so much flack for it is because the world doesn't see acne as a real problem, and therefore doesn't think it's treatment warrents the same risks as other medical issues. But we all know better. Acne can mess up our entire lives, and to me, it was certainly worth the small risk to cure it.

Great so you had a good experince with accutane! If you don't like livetoregret's or other people's thread don't go in them! How many pts acutally go back to thier derm when they have side effects or report to the FDA! Fact is it is Russian Roulette! Whatever reason you take Accutane for Acne or Cancer it truly a very dangerous drug and like no other.

The inventor Willam Bollag M.D. says himself -Dr. Bollag, the inventor: 'Accutane is so toxic -- so toxic -- not my word, their word -- it should never be given for anything other than severe cystic nodular acne. Accutane, originally submitted to treat cancer, it is then switched by the company and it comes on the market in 1982." He acutally didn't even submit the findings and was against it coming out for the tx of acne.

Now, you think it is normal for a drug to cause type 1 diabetes (juvinelle diabetes) & severe osteopenia with loss of height at age 31???? Hmm... Which in turn I now have hormonal acne now! Great trade off huh eusa_wall.gif

2 people like this

The secret of health for both mind & body

is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.

The Buddha

I took accutane for ten years before I discovered what was ultimately triggering my acne. I have experienced no lasting side effects from that time period.

I am not suggesting accutane is a good or bad choice for you or anyone else to make. All I am offering is my observation.

If you're not willing to accept the risks associated with accutane (or any other pharmaceutical), then this medication is probably not the right solution for you.

If you took accutane for 10 years then your straight up insane

10 years of accutane, where do you live and how on earth did they allow that to happen? 10 years of no cure from acne and you didn't once try to think it was another thing causing the acne....?

To the replies above. I have been relatively acne free for a long time now, which has allowed me to to live life without crippling depression and stress.

In my specific case, accutane literally saved my life. Your results may vary.