Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Cystic Acne, Accutante And Lasik, Don't Know What To Do...

4 posts in this topic

I don't really know where to begin so I'll just start by saying that I've finally decided to reach out online. I have been dealing with persistent cystic acne and oily/dry combination skin for almost 10 years now. I have tried Doxy, Bactrim, Solodyn, as well as many different topical creams but to no avail.

Right now I feel like I am in a particularly difficult dilemma. Recently, I started a great new job but am fearing a kind of looming professional cliff, a coming storm so-to-speak, as my acne and accompanying social anxiety slowly thwart professional development. I would gladly go on Accutane but last year I had LASIK surgery and ever since this winter I have been dealing with very troublesome dry eyes. Right now I am taking 115 mg of Solodyn, which has helped keep things at bay but by no means has been a cure. I've also just started taking Nicomide, which is supposed to help with acne-related inflammation. I meet with another LASIK doctor next week for a second opinion on my eyes but I really don't know what to do.

1 person likes this

Current Skincare Regimen

MORNING
Sircuit X-Trap+ Cleanser
Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion, AM
Murad Acne Treatment Concealer

NIGHT
Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Cleanser
Aura Cacia Grapeseed Oil (as a moisturizer)
Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion (as a spot treatment)

OTHER
Monthly Chemical Peels (Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Based)
Supplements: Real Food Multi-Vitamin, Nordic Naturals Fish Oil, Vitamin D (5,000 IU daily), Vitamin C.

Diet: Modified Paleo Regimen (gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, organic and non-GMO wherever possible, but still consuming GF grains).

Symptoms: Cystic acne, mild rosacea, dry eye syndrome, mild blepharitis, chronic fatigue, digestive issues, brain fog, social anxiety).

Status as of 03/27/2015: Nothing is helping. Seeing a functional medicine practitioner 05/29/2015.

I hear you on the hopelessness feeling when it comes to being a victim of severe acne. I would make an appointment with a dermatologist immediately an discuss your operation last year and current medical conditions and meds you're on. -- If that's not an option for you, there's Acne.Org "The Regiment" that I found randomly while doin my accutane research. People have said it has worked for them, but it's not my experience or story. I was just prescribed accurate after trying to skate by without it for 8 years, but i've finally had my limit of feeling this insecure and, literally and figuratively, being in pain. Good luck!

1 person likes this

I hear you on the hopelessness feeling when it comes to being a victim of severe acne. I would make an appointment with a dermatologist immediately an discuss your operation last year and current medical conditions and meds you're on. -- If that's not an option for you, there's Acne.Org "The Regiment" that I found randomly while doin my accutane research. People have said it has worked for them, but it's not my experience or story. I was just prescribed accurate after trying to skate by without it for 8 years, but i've finally had my limit of feeling this insecure and, literally and figuratively, being in pain. Good luck!

Current Skincare Regimen

MORNING
Sircuit X-Trap+ Cleanser
Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion, AM
Murad Acne Treatment Concealer

NIGHT
Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Cleanser
Aura Cacia Grapeseed Oil (as a moisturizer)
Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion (as a spot treatment)

OTHER
Monthly Chemical Peels (Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Based)
Supplements: Real Food Multi-Vitamin, Nordic Naturals Fish Oil, Vitamin D (5,000 IU daily), Vitamin C.

Diet: Modified Paleo Regimen (gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, organic and non-GMO wherever possible, but still consuming GF grains).

Symptoms: Cystic acne, mild rosacea, dry eye syndrome, mild blepharitis, chronic fatigue, digestive issues, brain fog, social anxiety).

Status as of 03/27/2015: Nothing is helping. Seeing a functional medicine practitioner 05/29/2015.

I don't really know where to begin so I'll just start by saying that I've finally decided to reach out online. I have been dealing with persistent cystic acne and oily/dry combination skin for almost 10 years now. I have tried Doxy, Bactrim, Solodyn, as well as many different topical creams but to no avail.

Right now I feel like I am in a particularly difficult dilemma. Recently, I started a great new job but am fearing a kind of looming professional cliff, a coming storm so-to-speak, as my acne and accompanying social anxiety slowly thwart professional development. I would gladly go on Accutane but last year I had LASIK surgery and ever since this winter I have been dealing with very troublesome dry eyes. Right now I am taking 115 mg of Solodyn, which has helped keep things at bay but by no means has been a cure. I've also just started taking Nicomide, which is supposed to help with acne-related inflammation. I meet with another LASIK doctor next week for a second opinion on my eyes but I really don't know what to do.