Photo

Persistent Cystic Acne, Accutante And Lasik, Don't Know What To Do...

3 replies to this topic

#1 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

I don't really know where to begin so I'll just start by saying that I've finally decided to reach out online. I have been dealing with persistent cystic acne and oily/dry combination skin for almost 10 years now. I have tried Doxy, Bactrim, Solodyn, as well as many different topical creams but to no avail.

Right now I feel like I am in a particularly difficult dilemma. Recently, I started a great new job but am fearing a kind of looming professional cliff, a coming storm so-to-speak, as my acne and accompanying social anxiety slowly thwart professional development. I would gladly go on Accutane but last year I had LASIK surgery and ever since this winter I have been dealing with very troublesome dry eyes. Right now I am taking 115 mg of Solodyn, which has helped keep things at bay but by no means has been a cure. I've also just started taking Nicomide, which is supposed to help with acne-related inflammation. I meet with another LASIK doctor next week for a second opinion on my eyes but I really don't know what to do.

#2 akc123

akc123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

I hear you on the hopelessness feeling when it comes to being a victim of severe acne. I would make an appointment with a dermatologist immediately an discuss your operation last year and current medical conditions and meds you're on. -- If that's not an option for you, there's Acne.Org "The Regiment" that I found randomly while doin my accutane research. People have said it has worked for them, but it's not my experience or story. I was just prescribed accurate after trying to skate by without it for 8 years, but i've finally had my limit of feeling this insecure and, literally and figuratively, being in pain. Good luck!

#3 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

I hear you on the hopelessness feeling when it comes to being a victim of severe acne. I would make an appointment with a dermatologist immediately an discuss your operation last year and current medical conditions and meds you're on. -- If that's not an option for you, there's Acne.Org "The Regiment" that I found randomly while doin my accutane research. People have said it has worked for them, but it's not my experience or story. I was just prescribed accurate after trying to skate by without it for 8 years, but i've finally had my limit of feeling this insecure and, literally and figuratively, being in pain. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. From my understanding the "regimine" consists of just using Benzol Peroxide and carefully, religiously washing one's skin morning and night. Benzol Peroxide has never worked for me and has only ever irritated my skin. I have moved beyond common topical treatments as these generally do little to control cystic acne.

My eyes feel dry and appear bloodshot on a daily basis. I have spoken to two different dermatologists who have both given me the green light for Accutane but under careful monitoring. My current LASIK doctor has advised me that I should be fine but he has also informed me that I have degraded tear quality and dry spots in both eyes. That being said I would still like to get a second opinion from another LASIK doctor and plan to do so next week.

I worry about taking Solodyn on a long term basis (6+ months) and its possible link to autoimmune and/or Crohn's disease. Solodyn is not a cure anyway, just a form of control.

The more I think about things the more I feel I am being funneled towards Accutane. I feel that ultimately I will not have a choice. I will have to assume the risks of Accutane in exchange for the possibility of a better qualify of life.

Edited by John457, 30 November 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#4 kasyani

kasyani

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

I don't really know where to begin so I'll just start by saying that I've finally decided to reach out online. I have been dealing with persistent cystic acne and oily/dry combination skin for almost 10 years now. I have tried Doxy, Bactrim, Solodyn, as well as many different topical creams but to no avail.

Right now I feel like I am in a particularly difficult dilemma. Recently, I started a great new job but am fearing a kind of looming professional cliff, a coming storm so-to-speak, as my acne and accompanying social anxiety slowly thwart professional development. I would gladly go on Accutane but last year I had LASIK surgery and ever since this winter I have been dealing with very troublesome dry eyes. Right now I am taking 115 mg of Solodyn, which has helped keep things at bay but by no means has been a cure. I've also just started taking Nicomide, which is supposed to help with acne-related inflammation. I meet with another LASIK doctor next week for a second opinion on my eyes but I really don't know what to do.

Can you be more specific about your acne please,a photo would be very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users