Photo

Bbc Three At 9Pm Tonight: Dying For Clear Skin

tv show accutane acne cystic acne programme clear skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#41 Beckiness

Beckiness

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

No, accutane isn't the drug for me, or anyone.

I'm glad you're spreading this truth.

I'm here to tell people that accutane is wrong. I have friends who have gone on it, and regret it entirely.

It really pains me to see people promoting it because they take it, and don't want to feel as if they made the wrong decision.

I'm a firm believer in diet, and went clear through diet.

I hope you are not implying I was promoting it, I wasn't I was just stating my experiences!

Whereas you on the other hand condemn others cause they have?! - claiming they need to justify their wrong choices?!?
You haven't even been on the drug, you have no first-hand experience so how can you say it’s wrong?

All you have is an opinion like me, so stop quoting it as truth and fact. At least mine is based on my own first-hand experience!

#42 WilliamRickard

WilliamRickard

William Rickard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'm here to tell people that accutane is wrong. I have friends who have gone on it, and regret it entirely.

It really pains me to see people promoting it because they take it, and don't want to feel as if they made the wrong decision.

I hope you are not implying I was promoting it, I wasn't I was just stating my experiences!

Whereas you on the other hand condemn others cause they have?! - claiming they need to justify their wrong choices?!?
You haven't even been on the drug, you have no first-hand experience so how can you say it’s wrong?

All you have is an opinion like me, so stop quoting it as truth and fact. At least mine is based on my own first-hand experience!

I would like to comment on the drug, but as for now, i can't.

I looked up accutane and it wasn't the drug for me to take. You may however wish to pursue taking it, put it this way; if someone close to you took it and got some pretty rough side effects which i'm not going to mention as they haven't been proven to be linked to accutane, what would you do? I don't think you can put a price on life, Danné saved my skin and changed my life. I hope you can get the message that i'm trying to say. If not; personal message me as i don't want to talk about it in the public format.

Thank you, stay well. William x

#43 13yearsofAcne

13yearsofAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I understand your point of view dude. I also read your original response and can understand why you took it down. The BBC has to be unbias, so to commission an Anti-Roaccutane documentary would be against it's Royal Charter.

Having watched the show, I do not believe Derek did blame Roaccutane for the loss of his son. He says, and I quote, "I blame it all, really...the emotional scarring of acne, the subsequent low self-esteem, the depressive side effects associated with Roaccutane..."

To singularly lay the blame on Roaccutane is disingenuous.

Edited by 13yearsofAcne, 29 November 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#44 Miss Soloist

Miss Soloist

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

I looked up accutane and it wasn't the drug for me to take. You may however wish to pursue taking it, put it this way; if someone close to you took it and got some pretty rough side effects which i'm not going to mention as they haven't been proven to be linked to accutane, what would you do? I don't think you can put a price on life, Danné saved my skin and changed my life. I hope you can get the message that i'm trying to say. If not; personal message me as i don't want to talk about it in the public format.

Hey Will, just curious - that enzyme treatment looks really scary (in that it makes your capillaries dilate like crazy!) Does that last for long or do they do down pretty quickly?

Edited by Miss Soloist, 29 November 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#45 WilliamRickard

WilliamRickard

William Rickard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hey Will, just curious - that enzyme treatment looks really scary (in that it makes your capillaries dilate like crazy!) Does that last for long or do they do down pretty quickly?

Hey, the dilation usually only lasts around 10-15 minutes! Pretty cool science aye?

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules*

William x

#46 staciels05

staciels05

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hey everyone, just watched 'dying for clea skin' .... well i'v got allsorts running through my mind after watching that. I was once taking ro accutane until the point i couldnt control my anger & frustrations or just everyday life really but I didnt once think it was the ro accutane although after watching that I think it may be the case. I went to my doctor eventually anyways explaining how i felt, they made me fill in a questionaire of how i was feeling etc & i was going through really bad depression, i was having suicidal thoughts everyday, i would wake up & just go back to sleep, i couldnt cope with life, I took it out on my boyfriend at the time (poor guy) he mustve been shocked, no wonder he didnt want to get back with me. i just thought it was our relationship that was causing me to act this way & now my heads thinking was it the ro accutane? did it ruin my relationship? has it ruined my life? i have never got back to my normal self since taking it, i still hate wakening up everyday but i do, i get up but i dont leave the house unless i really make myself.

Stace.x

#47 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Here is the documentary for anyone who is looking or it. Posted Image

It was difficult for me to watch. I related to every single person who was suffering with severe acne. I cried my eyes out multiple times and could barely get through watching it, but I'm glad I did. I'm so glad I never got on accutane.

Edited by dejaclairevoyant, 01 December 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#48 luckyme24

luckyme24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

I am currently taking Roaccutane (5 weeks into treatment) and decided to watch the documentary - me and my mum saw it advertised on BBC before it was due to air and my mum was very scared - she asked if this was the drug I was taking for my skin, which then scared me (if you've seen my log i've just posted you will see that i've been very reluctant to take Roaccutane and it was not somethng I took lightly), anyway I decided that I would watch it.

Ever since starting treatment I have been paranoid and i've tried to let everyone work colleagues, friends and family know that I am taking Roaccutane so that they can keep a very close eye on me and monitor my moods, after watching the documentary part of me was so ready to give in and give up on the treatment but i've suffered for 3 years - this may not sound much to anyone else who has suffered for longer but everyone is different and we are all affected by acne in different ways - I can't leave my house without a full face of make up, I bore my friends, family and work colleagues to death with my constant worry over how I look and whether you can see how bad my skin is through the make-up. For me I didn't take the decision to start Roaccutane very lightly, infact it took me 3 different attempts within the space of a year to actually get the guts to start the drug - 3 different dermatologists.

I feel for the families of the people involved in this documentary and I have to say i'm not biased towards any of the opinions on the programme - I work for the NHS - yet I feel this does not make me any more confident in taking this medication, I also do not have very much faith in the treatments that they offer.

I feel that acne is not treated very seriously by GP's, they just think it's people being vain over a few spots, I dont think enough was shown on the emotional side effects that people experience before they even consider using any form of treatment - it's absolutely crippling and I believe acne alone is enough to change the type of person you are.

Going back 3 years I was a completely different person, outgoing, confident and ambitious - now i'm shy and lack confidence in everything I do - i'm constantly having to be re-assured and I feel that my acne has effected my dreams and ambitions, I am not where I thought I would be 6 years ago. I don't care what people say, acne has a major impact on your self-esteem and I think this should have been taken into consideration a little more.

Will - I think you are so very brave especially at your age for going on TV knowing that you were going to be watched by lots of people, It takes real guts and i'm glad that you have found your cure. I am nearly 25 and I could never have done what you did even when I had clear skin. You are an inspiration!

As for the treatment you used it works wonders, I often contemplated going private for treatment similiar to what you have had but the truth is I could never afford that kind of treatment as I am sure is the case with most people on these boards and all over the country.

I think that we should all be trying to do more to help to get treatments like Will's on the NHS so that in the future people can get clear skin without having to suffer side - effects.

You will see from my logs that I am taking Roaccutane but it does not mean to say I am completely in favour of Raoccutane nor does it mean that I am against it, I have just simply given up on all treaments that I can afford to have, I think it boils down to the NHS needing to take acne more seriously! I'm fed up of people telling me i'll grow out of it, i'm 24 nearly 25! x

#49 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Just be glad you have the NHS. In America, we have zero help for people with acne or most other medical conditions. If I get sick, I better get myself better or I DIE. There isn't help unless you're rich enough to buy your own insurance or medical care. I guess president Obama wants to change that, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by dejaclairevoyant, 01 December 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#50 LastDitchEffort

LastDitchEffort

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Here is the documentary for anyone who is looking or it. Posted Image

It was difficult for me to watch. I related to every single person who was suffering with severe acne. I cried my eyes out multiple times and could barely get through watching it, but I'm glad I did. I'm so glad I never got on accutane.

Thank you so much, I've been waiting to get a chance to see this since I'm not from UK. Kinda have mix feelings right now before watching it, I'm excited to see the show everyone is talking about, but also quite anxious because I'm on my last month of Isotretinoin and now I will see what effect it has had on some people.

#51 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

It can be quite triggering for those suffering with severe acne as well. When the dude shows the blood on his shirt from one of the cysts that had popped, I literally wept because I know so much what that's like to be bleeding from cysts on your skin. In a way watching it messed me up pretty badly emotionally, but I'm still glad I did.

#52 maybemonday

maybemonday

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I just watched this on iplayer and I was heart broken! It was a cross between me being able to relate so much to what was talked about and me just being so sad for the loss of Jesse, Jonathan and all the other people affected by acne and the treatments of it. I'm so happy BBC decided to make this documentary, maybe E4 will pick it up at some point (a lot young people I know mainly watch that and channel 4) so as to help spread more awareness on the pros/cons of accutane and the emotional implications of acne in general. I'm definitely going to mention this to my friends, maybe it'll get around. :)