Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fullofgrace

Bbc Three At 9Pm Tonight: Dying For Clear Skin

55 posts in this topic

I am currently taking Roaccutane (5 weeks into treatment) and decided to watch the documentary - me and my mum saw it advertised on BBC before it was due to air and my mum was very scared - she asked if this was the drug I was taking for my skin, which then scared me (if you've seen my log i've just posted you will see that i've been very reluctant to take Roaccutane and it was not somethng I took lightly), anyway I decided that I would watch it.

Ever since starting treatment I have been paranoid and i've tried to let everyone work colleagues, friends and family know that I am taking Roaccutane so that they can keep a very close eye on me and monitor my moods, after watching the documentary part of me was so ready to give in and give up on the treatment but i've suffered for 3 years - this may not sound much to anyone else who has suffered for longer but everyone is different and we are all affected by acne in different ways - I can't leave my house without a full face of make up, I bore my friends, family and work colleagues to death with my constant worry over how I look and whether you can see how bad my skin is through the make-up. For me I didn't take the decision to start Roaccutane very lightly, infact it took me 3 different attempts within the space of a year to actually get the guts to start the drug - 3 different dermatologists.

I feel for the families of the people involved in this documentary and I have to say i'm not biased towards any of the opinions on the programme - I work for the NHS - yet I feel this does not make me any more confident in taking this medication, I also do not have very much faith in the treatments that they offer.

I feel that acne is not treated very seriously by GP's, they just think it's people being vain over a few spots, I dont think enough was shown on the emotional side effects that people experience before they even consider using any form of treatment - it's absolutely crippling and I believe acne alone is enough to change the type of person you are.

Going back 3 years I was a completely different person, outgoing, confident and ambitious - now i'm shy and lack confidence in everything I do - i'm constantly having to be re-assured and I feel that my acne has effected my dreams and ambitions, I am not where I thought I would be 6 years ago. I don't care what people say, acne has a major impact on your self-esteem and I think this should have been taken into consideration a little more.

Will - I think you are so very brave especially at your age for going on TV knowing that you were going to be watched by lots of people, It takes real guts and i'm glad that you have found your cure. I am nearly 25 and I could never have done what you did even when I had clear skin. You are an inspiration!

As for the treatment you used it works wonders, I often contemplated going private for treatment similiar to what you have had but the truth is I could never afford that kind of treatment as I am sure is the case with most people on these boards and all over the country.

I think that we should all be trying to do more to help to get treatments like Will's on the NHS so that in the future people can get clear skin without having to suffer side - effects.

You will see from my logs that I am taking Roaccutane but it does not mean to say I am completely in favour of Raoccutane nor does it mean that I am against it, I have just simply given up on all treaments that I can afford to have, I think it boils down to the NHS needing to take acne more seriously! I'm fed up of people telling me i'll grow out of it, i'm 24 nearly 25! x

Just be glad you have the NHS. In America, we have zero help for people with acne or most other medical conditions. If I get sick, I better get myself better or I DIE. There isn't help unless you're rich enough to buy your own insurance or medical care. I guess president Obama wants to change that, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

Here is the documentary for anyone who is looking or it. smile.png

It was difficult for me to watch. I related to every single person who was suffering with severe acne. I cried my eyes out multiple times and could barely get through watching it, but I'm glad I did. I'm so glad I never got on accutane.

Thank you so much, I've been waiting to get a chance to see this since I'm not from UK. Kinda have mix feelings right now before watching it, I'm excited to see the show everyone is talking about, but also quite anxious because I'm on my last month of Isotretinoin and now I will see what effect it has had on some people.

\o/ Accutane Survivor \o/

~PM me if you have any questions~

~100% Clear back & face~

It can be quite triggering for those suffering with severe acne as well. When the dude shows the blood on his shirt from one of the cysts that had popped, I literally wept because I know so much what that's like to be bleeding from cysts on your skin. In a way watching it messed me up pretty badly emotionally, but I'm still glad I did.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

I just watched this on iplayer and I was heart broken! It was a cross between me being able to relate so much to what was talked about and me just being so sad for the loss of Jesse, Jonathan and all the other people affected by acne and the treatments of it. I'm so happy BBC decided to make this documentary, maybe E4 will pick it up at some point (a lot young people I know mainly watch that and channel 4) so as to help spread more awareness on the pros/cons of accutane and the emotional implications of acne in general. I'm definitely going to mention this to my friends, maybe it'll get around. :)

I started the regimen in July 2012- I'm 98% clear on the regimen as of April 2013, and I reduced my dosage to 2 pumps once a day in September 2013 with no problems. I'm working on evening out my skin tone and at the moment I'm using Re-Gen Cream and Clinique Face Cream SPF 40 :)