Photo

The Confusing Scar

dermabrasion chemical peel microdermabrasion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 ForeverAndPatience

ForeverAndPatience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Please post a picture. I can't see any photos in your gallery. Perhaps, you have the privacy settings too tight.

Based on your most recent description, I am very confused. Earlier, as in weeks ago, you said the scar didn't wrinkle with your forehead. It sounds like a blemish that's healed a bit over the last few weeks. It may just fade with time, but without a picture, I don't know if you're just suffering from PIH or a real scar.

I consider "superficial" scars to be pigment and surface texture issues. I don't believe any real scars, even shallow indents, can be truly superficial. If so, they would be so much easier to treat!

You should be able to see it in my gallery now. I have it to where friends can see only. If you can't see it, or if the picture isn't the best quality I'll try to go in and fix/add a better picture later. My parents ate home, and I don't want them in my business. Plus if they see me upset over this thing again all hell will break loose... again .-.

Do you guys know if getting a cut over a scar would lead to more scaring or normal tissue replacing it?

#22 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

I can see your photo now. I responded on the photo. I think you're experiencing texture issues, as well as a bit of active acne. I think the scar is lighter because it's new skin and hasn't been exposed to the sun yet. See a dermatologist to clear your skin before you start to really scar.

#23 ForeverAndPatience

ForeverAndPatience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

I can see your photo now. I responded on the photo. I think you're experiencing texture issues, as well as a bit of active acne. I think the scar is lighter because it's new skin and hasn't been exposed to the sun yet. See a dermatologist to clear your skin before you start to really scar.

Thanks, its appeased my mind that you say that. I, too, describe it as superficial. It's been causing me anxiety because in some light it looks like a dent! And I actually got sun on it before, probably a little too early, but it turned bright red and stung. It may have been a little too much sun... summers in Florida are hard to escape.
I thought.texture issues were bumps? I will see a derm. But I value this communities opinion cause you know more about treating things through.experience than I. What can be done about superficial scars?

#24 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Honestly, it's really hard for me to tell from your picture whether the scar is indented. It looks almost flush with the surrounding skin but the color is slightly off.

When I said, it's new skin, I meant it's not fully matured and exposed, like your surrounding skin. As such, the color is a little different. If I were you, I would keep it protected from the sun and stop rolling it. Give your skin time to heal. You could end up causing more damage by being too harsh on fragile, healing skin.

I consider texture issues to be irregularities on the surface of your skin. I can't see the texture of your scar from your picture but I believe using a topical (such as Retin-A) could improve the overall texture of your skin and help clear your acne. You really should be under a doctor's care when using a topical, as there can be side-effects.

None of us are doctors here. Seeing a picture is helpful but it still doesn't reflect reality. You really should see a dermatologist, and ask him/her these questions. I don't think you're ever going to be satisfied with any answer you find on this forum. We can only share our own experiences and personal opinions with you, but we can't diagnose or answer your specific questions like a qualified physician.

Have you tried calling your primary physician and asking for a referral to a dermatologist? Do you have to actually see your doctor to get a referral?

#25 ForeverAndPatience

ForeverAndPatience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Honestly, it's really hard for me to tell from your picture whether the scar is indented. It looks almost flush with the surrounding skin but the color is slightly off.

When I said, it's new skin, I meant it's not fully matured and exposed, like your surrounding skin. As such, the color is a little different. If I were you, I would keep it protected from the sun and stop rolling it. Give your skin time to heal. You could end up causing more damage by being too harsh on fragile, healing skin.

I consider texture issues to be irregularities on the surface of your skin. I can't see the texture of your scar from your picture but I believe using a topical (such as Retin-A) could improve the overall texture of your skin and help clear your acne. You really should be under a doctor's care when using a topical, as there can be side-effects.

None of us are doctors here. Seeing a picture is helpful but it still doesn't reflect reality. You really should see a dermatologist, and ask him/her these questions. I don't think you're ever going to be satisfied with any answer you find on this forum. We can only share our own experiences and personal opinions with you, but we can't diagnose or answer your specific questions like a qualified physician.

Have you tried calling your primary physician and asking for a referral to a dermatologist? Do you have to actually see your doctor to get a referral?

Thanks for your input. I have stopped rolling it. I'm supposed to see my primary care doctor in January. I don't know about calling. I finally got out everything that's been bothering me about my skin to my mom, who I'm sure still has difficulty understanding because she probably only ever had one zit in her life. But I have her support now, which has eased my anxiety. She's one of those people that are like oh, you don't know what suffering is and all, but she understands these things affect me. It just sucks because my family has had it rough these past few years, so most things get put off. But hopefully things will get resolved. But anyway, thanks again, and to all of you who have been putting up with and listening to my constant whinning. I just tend to get really freaked out and I've always been so hard on myself, because every little bad things that happen only add to the stress of my life. But everything here is very much appreciatived. I've learned a lot. I haven't picked at my skin for quite some time, and its never looked better >.>

#26 ForeverAndPatience

ForeverAndPatience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Okay, so I found a picture of a scar similar to the one one my forehead. Except mine is a lot softer, and not pink like hers. http://www.locateado...r-repair-c31169
It shows the edges much like that though.

#27 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Your scar is so shallow, I wouldn't really consider it a real scar. It's almost invisible, and since you're young it will probably disappear on its own. I agree with Inspired's advice to go to a derm and focusing on treating your acne (and no more picking your skin) to prevent scars. Your skin looks fine. Posted Image

Edited by austra, 29 November 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#28 ForeverAndPatience

ForeverAndPatience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

What do you guys think about this statement I found on RealSelf?I know everything should be taken with a grain of salt... but its given me some hope since my scars arent deep.

"Don't expect much from Retin A except if scars or wrinkles are extremely shallow

The effect of Retin A is superficial, and the changes that are seen are primarily epidermal. Therefore the only scars that can be improved would be those that are extremely shallow. The depth of your acne scars must first be evaluated once determined the proper treatment depth can be performed. If the scars are deep then there are alternatives such as TCA peel, dermabrasion, laser resurfacing and subcision."

And have any of you used Retin-A?

#29 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

I have recently been using refissa .05 cream. It has been making a nice difference on the texture of my forehead. I have been spot treating my scars on the rest of my face as well, but kind of early to tell on that. I don't get much active acne anymore, so the creamy texture doesn't cause acne, but not sure if would for oily skin types. It is surprising gentle for a retinoid cream.

#30 ForeverAndPatience

ForeverAndPatience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I have recently been using refissa .05 cream. It has been making a nice difference on the texture of my forehead. I have been spot treating my scars on the rest of my face as well, but kind of early to tell on that. I don't get much active acne anymore, so the creamy texture doesn't cause acne, but not sure if would for oily skin types. It is surprising gentle for a retinoid cream.

Hmm. What kind of scars do you have?

#31 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I was your pic of your forehead, and my own is not so far off. I think the cream could help you if you use it long term. I have some scars in between rolling and boxcar they basically look like deeper chicken poc type scars. I think needling combined with the cream could help me. I have also been trying 12.5% TCA on them and it does help tighten the skin some.

#32 ForeverAndPatience

ForeverAndPatience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I was your pic of your forehead, and my own is not so far off. I think the cream could help you if you use it long term. I have some scars in between rolling and boxcar they basically look like deeper chicken poc type scars. I think needling combined with the cream could help me. I have also been trying 12.5% TCA on them and it does help tighten the skin some.

Do you know if I were to use this and these things get better if I were to stop they'd come back? I have this mark thing on my forehead and I think it could be improved. I dont know if its a scar. Its level from what I can tell.

Edited by ForeverAndPatience, 08 December 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#33 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Not sure, but I would think you could stay on a retinoid forever, it is good for anti-aging. It is basically vitamin A. Just don't tan with it, because it makes you burn easier. And when you are pregnant you can't be on it.