Photo

Mixto Sx Co2 Fractional Laser Surgery Diary: Asian With Ice Pick Acne Scars On Cheeks/temples.

ice pick co2 fraxel cortisone needling aha alpha hydroxy acid concealer hyperpigmentation

143 replies to this topic

#101 Seeweed

Seeweed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

Hey guys,  I went in for the mixto procedure two weeks ago at Dr. Rihimis office.  I havent had any side effects at all and im pretty damn happy i got this procedure done.  If you can afford the $3000 i would do it IMO.

#102 slee3

slee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

3 months post mixto #3 update including pics. 

#103 NUman

NUman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

I got to say, your perseverance is a wonderful thing and I do see the scars softening quite an amount mate! I can see rounded and smoother lighting gradients on them.

How have you been doing lately? Are you planning to go in for another treatment or will you be going another route like fillers or are you quite satisfied? Keep it up mate, you're quite the inspiration on this forum and I appreciate it.

Edited by NUman, 14 September 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#104 slee3

slee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

4 months post mixto #3 update.

#105 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

HOw much improvement do you think you have had?

#106 blahblah82

blahblah82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hey Slee... Thank you for keeping us up to date on your progress.  The scars look much softer and more blended in with the surrounding skin.

What's been the reaction from friends and family?  Are they noting a difference in your skin?  I know your mom initially said that she was unimpressed after your first treatment.  Has she come around and finally started to notice the improvement?

A year makes a big difference.  I think though, like a lot of us who've done very serious things to improve our skin, there comes a point where you realize that perfection is really impossible with the current technology.  

Edited by blahblah82, 13 October 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#107 slee3

slee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Nov 28th, Around 5 months - 6 months post mixto # 3. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE

Hey Slee... Thank you for keeping us up to date on your progress.  The scars look much softer and more blended in with the surrounding skin.

What's been the reaction from friends and family?  Are they noting a difference in your skin?  I know your mom initially said that she was unimpressed after your first treatment.  Has she come around and finally started to notice the improvement?

A year makes a big difference.  I think though, like a lot of us who've done very serious things to improve our skin, there comes a point where you realize that perfection is really impossible with the current technology.  

My family has said they notice significant improvement, but they say they still notice the acne scars, but they said it looks less prominent and not as noticeable as before. :)

#108 blahblah82

blahblah82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

Awesome news!  It's great to hear that life in general has been brighter for you.  

And yes, your results are apparent.   Good luck on # 4.

#109 zavvi

zavvi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:29 AM

any more updates for us my friend

#110 Starlite

Starlite

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

I think punch excision or TCA cross might have been better for the kind of scarring you have. subcision is usually ideal for rolling scars, not ice pick. I'm happy you've had improvement. Maybe try TCA cross for continued improvement. 

#111 LearnedHand

LearnedHand

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

I think punch excision or TCA cross might have been better for the kind of scarring you have. subcision is usually ideal for rolling scars, not ice pick. I'm happy you've had improvement. Maybe try TCA cross for continued improvement. 

I don't know how effective TCA cross is, but I can't say I disagree with the above.

I have scarring similar to OP & I recently underwent 2 rounds of TCA Cross (spaced 1 month apart). I've been in this "game" long enough to know not to expect miracles from TCA Cross, & my main purpose for undergoing the treatment was to hopefully raise the boxscar & ice pick scars a bit so that expected future laser treatments would be more fruitful.

I bring this up not to talk about TCA Cross, but more to assess the practicality of a person's treating such scars with lasers. I replied much earlier in this post encouraging OP Slee to continue treatments as I have personally experienced that 1 session alone will not "cure" the scarring more than 20-30% at best.

So, first, I want to really thank Slee for continuing this diary of his treatment. Board member's diaries of their treatment experience is the best gift they could give any other member. It helps us not only understand effectiveness, life during recovery, & as the case here, hope when a treatment has positive results.

Second, speaking of recovery, which spurred tho reply, I do not know how practical it is to treat these types of scars with lasers. While Slee has proven that significant improvement is possible (a glimmer of hope for which this board always is in desperate need), it ha come at significant downtime. Each laser has at least a week or two of complete can't-go-out-in-public downtime & probably another month of red face healing. I personally cannot imagine undergoing 4 treatments like Slee or losing a month and a half every year like Dudley and his 7 or so fraxel treatments (sincerely no offense by these mentions, just my own opinion). Not only will my professional life not allow such repeated extended off-time, but more
Importantly, to me, I do not want to bear that cost personally & socially. I will continue to do TCA Cross, which I'm still unsure of its effectiveness (but still feels good to say you're doing something about it while only having half a week or so of downtime, if that) & stay hopeful for treatments like Airgent (currently giving more hope than any other feasible treatment in recent memory) or other future advances.

[Posted via mobile phone, so please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors.]

Edited by LearnedHand, 04 December 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#112 Celaya

Celaya

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

Isn't TCA  Cross a  very risky procedure for Asian,Hispanic, Afro-American skin and should not be done for our skin type?   From what I understand TCA Cross should only be done for light skin patients mostly on Caucasians.  Correct me someone  if I'm wrong?   I know this Dr.  actually does them from looking at his website, but don't think he recommended that for Slee. 

#113 Starlite

Starlite

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

Isn't TCA  Cross a  very risky procedure for Asian,Hispanic, Afro-American skin and should not be done for our skin type?   From what I understand TCA Cross should only be done for light skin patients mostly on Caucasians.  Correct me someone  if I'm wrong?   I know this Dr.  actually does them from looking at his website, but don't think he recommended that for Slee. 

TCA cross was INVENTED by a Korean doctor, and was widely practiced by Asian doctors before it made its way over to the United States. The original studies and before/after pics were performed on Asian skin types.

I'm Hispanic and have never had complications or hyperpigmentation from TCA cross. African American skin types may be different though.

It takes about six rounds of TCA cross before you're supposed to see results. Depending on the person, results can be mild or dramatic.

I've tried TCA cross. Saw the best improvement around the bridge of my nose and the least on my nose and cheeks. That makes me think it works better on people with thick skin.

Edited by Starlite, 05 December 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#114 Celaya

Celaya

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Starlite,  Are you a light skin HIspanic?   I am Hispanic as well,  but have a medium tan skin.    You think this will work for me?   Doesn't this cause discolartion problems for people with darker skin?

#115 Starlite

Starlite

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Starlite,  Are you a light skin HIspanic?   I am Hispanic as well,  but have a medium tan skin.    You think this will work for me?   Doesn't this cause discolartion problems for people with darker skin?

I know that I'm Fitzpatrick skin type 4. I think my skin tends to be a little lighter.

#116 Ozay

Ozay

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:NO PREFERENCE

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hey guys,

Thought I'd update since I am in a giving mood today :)

I had my third Mixto on 1 Oct and my fourth (possibly last) Mixto on 26 November, exactly 8 weeks apart. Between the third and fourth I've also had Iridex Diolite done for redness which helped.

Anyway, today I'm just over 3 weeks out from the last Mixto, and everything looks good. I expect in another month that I will see the final verdict on my healing, since that's how long it usually takes for me to see the final result from Mixto. Good news is that yes, after four rounds of Mixto I am FINALLY in a much more comfortable position with my face. It's almost been a year since I first came to Dr. Rahimi for my consult on having Mixto done, so I'm relieved to say the least. The first two ultimately seemed to have had very little effect, but the third one (done approximately 5 months after my second Mixto) totally changed my mind on Mixto. It left a much smoother appearance, and my face responded really well to it.

So I'd say give it time and patience in seeing results you want, because I really was ready to give up hope....glad I didn't.  

OM.

#117 slee3

slee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hi Starlite, so your saying from your experience with TCA cross, i may see better improvement? One thing that I have noticed from this laser is that it has not effectively improved the depth of my acne scarring (i.e. the hole from the ice pick scar is still there and noticeable). I read up on TCA cross and it seems like that may be the most viable option in terms of "filling" up the holes on my face or "craters" on my face. However, I spoke with Dr. Rahimi about possible TCA Cross, excision, and even fillers, and he told me with TCA cross, it can lead to unpredictable results, that is bad results. I wouldn't mind doing TCA cross or even trying it out, i may push Dr. Rahimi to at least try one of my deep cratered scars with TCA cross to see how I react to it. Ive just been extremely hesitant because Ive read the unpredictable results here on this forum and how some people have had disastrous results, further backed up by Dr. Rahimi's opinion of it as well.

I don't know how effective TCA cross is, but I can't say I disagree with the above.

I have scarring similar to OP & I recently underwent 2 rounds of TCA Cross (spaced 1 month apart). I've been in this "game" long enough to know not to expect miracles from TCA Cross, & my main purpose for undergoing the treatment was to hopefully raise the boxscar & ice pick scars a bit so that expected future laser treatments would be more fruitful.

I bring this up not to talk about TCA Cross, but more to assess the practicality of a person's treating such scars with lasers. I replied much earlier in this post encouraging OP Slee to continue treatments as I have personally experienced that 1 session alone will not "cure" the scarring more than 20-30% at best.

So, first, I want to really thank Slee for continuing this diary of his treatment. Board member's diaries of their treatment experience is the best gift they could give any other member. It helps us not only understand effectiveness, life during recovery, & as the case here, hope when a treatment has positive results.

Second, speaking of recovery, which spurred tho reply, I do not know how practical it is to treat these types of scars with lasers. While Slee has proven that significant improvement is possible (a glimmer of hope for which this board always is in desperate need), it ha come at significant downtime. Each laser has at least a week or two of complete can't-go-out-in-public downtime & probably another month of red face healing. I personally cannot imagine undergoing 4 treatments like Slee or losing a month and a half every year like Dudley and his 7 or so fraxel treatments (sincerely no offense by these mentions, just my own opinion). Not only will my professional life not allow such repeated extended off-time, but more
Importantly, to me, I do not want to bear that cost personally & socially. I will continue to do TCA Cross, which I'm still unsure of its effectiveness (but still feels good to say you're doing something about it while only having half a week or so of downtime, if that) & stay hopeful for treatments like Airgent (currently giving more hope than any other feasible treatment in recent memory) or other future advances.

[Posted via mobile phone, so please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors.]

Glad to see your doing well with TCA Cross, please keep us (or me) updated with your results with TCA cross. You state you have similar scars as me, are you similar skin type as well? Could you PM me before and after pictures once your done with your treatment so that I may decide whether or not I want to pursue that route in the future?

TCA cross was INVENTED by a Korean doctor, and was widely practiced by Asian doctors before it made its way over to the United States. The original studies and before/after pics were performed on Asian skin types.

I'm Hispanic and have never had complications or hyperpigmentation from TCA cross. African American skin types may be different though.

It takes about six rounds of TCA cross before you're supposed to see results. Depending on the person, results can be mild or dramatic.

I've tried TCA cross. Saw the best improvement around the bridge of my nose and the least on my nose and cheeks. That makes me think it works better on people with thick skin.

Glad to see you got improvement with TCA cross, i may need to look more into it in the future. Its just that Dr. Rahimi insists that mixto is the better option, and like i stated previously, TCA cross can lead to unpredictable results. 

Hey guys,

Thought I'd update since I am in a giving mood today smile.png

I had my third Mixto on 1 Oct and my fourth (possibly last) Mixto on 26 November, exactly 8 weeks apart. Between the third and fourth I've also had Iridex Diolite done for redness which helped.

Anyway, today I'm just over 3 weeks out from the last Mixto, and everything looks good. I expect in another month that I will see the final verdict on my healing, since that's how long it usually takes for me to see the final result from Mixto. Good news is that yes, after four rounds of Mixto I am FINALLY in a much more comfortable position with my face. It's almost been a year since I first came to Dr. Rahimi for my consult on having Mixto done, so I'm relieved to say the least. The first two ultimately seemed to have had very little effect, but the third one (done approximately 5 months after my second Mixto) totally changed my mind on Mixto. It left a much smoother appearance, and my face responded really well to it.

So I'd say give it time and patience in seeing results you want, because I really was ready to give up hope....glad I didn't.  

Glad to see your doing well and getting the results Ozay! Glad that my post has been beneficial to you!

Hey guys, 

I got my 4th mixto procedure done on December 21st , 2013. Im about 3 days in so far, very similar type of experience as my last one, he went pretty deep again, maybe not as deep as the third, but around or little less in intensity than the third mixto. Ill post up pics sometime next week after the peeling is done. I just hope that with each and every treatment, Ill get more and more improvement until the point where my scars become non-prevalent and less noticeable. Unfortunately, the ice pick scars are still on my face, I do not think the doctor can go full blast with the laser to reach those deepest scars.....since it may lead to hypopigmentation spots. But steady as it goes.

#118 Starlite

Starlite

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:40 AM

Well, every doctor has their own idea on how to treat acne scarring. I went to one doctor who pushed dermabrasion which seemed like it would be a disaster for my skin, since I'm thin and sensitive skinned and Fitzpatrick 4. I think it's good that your doctor is suggesting treatments that he genuinely believe will help, but from my perspective TCA cross is worth a try because it is a less expensive/invasive treatment. Did he tell you why he prefers not to do punch excision or punch elevation? 

I'm also happy for OP! I've been debating whether or not to try Mixto and have been hearing nothing but positive reviews on this laser. 

#119 slee3

slee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

7 Days Post Mixto #4 Update w/ pics

#120 eagle1

eagle1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

7 Days Post Mixto #4 Update w/ pics

Where are your pics ? For some reason I can't see them

Edited by eagle1, 28 December 2013 - 02:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users