Photo

Do Blackheads Ever Turn Into Pimples/cysts?

6 replies to this topic

#1 bee4

bee4

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Having 'recovered' from cystic acne albeit being left with scars, I now only seem to get blackheads. I use 5% benzoyl peroxide on my skin and its as if it stops the pimples from forming but leaves the blackheads.

Should I remove the blackheads myself? They're on my cheeks and are a bit raised. I'm just worried that they will get bigger and infected and then cause a scar.

#2 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

If you obsessively pick at your blackheads where your skin will bleed, it may look swollen and inflammed like a cyst. But no, blackheads on their own won't. Nodular/cystic acne forms much deeper in the follicle than normal blackheads and whiteheads do. If you're that concerned about skin damage and scarring, you shouldn't pick at them and apply either salicylic acid, sulfur, or retinoids or go to a profesional for extraction.

#3 Elsewhere

Elsewhere

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me
  • Interests:I hate to tell you, sweetie - but if you're dating me, you're dating white trash.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

As far as I know, Michelle is right.

#4 SteamRoom

SteamRoom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

If you obsessively pick at your blackheads where your skin will bleed, it may look swollen and inflammed like a cyst. But no, blackheads on their own won't. Nodular/cystic acne forms much deeper in the follicle than normal blackheads and whiteheads do. If you're that concerned about skin damage and scarring, you shouldn't pick at them and apply either salicylic acid, sulfur, or retinoids or go to a profesional for extraction.

Actually, when I used to squeeze my blackheads they would turn into a small whitehead sometimes.

I get extractions performed now, even though my skin is pretty clear to the point I wouldn't even call my acne mild. Anyways, I sometimes get a pimple that develops right where one of the extractions was performed. So you never know.

Yes, it is possible.

#5 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

If the professional doesn't disinfect the area after extraction, a whitehead will likely form because your white blood cells will rush to the pore to kill the remaining bacteria. If you've ever had acne resistant to treatment (particularly your strain of P. acnes), you should bring up the idea of disinfection to your professional if you hadn't already. Otherwise a small whitehead after extraction isn't anything to be concerned about.

#6 SteamRoom

SteamRoom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

If the professional doesn't disinfect the area after extraction, a whitehead will likely form because your white blood cells will rush to the pore to kill the remaining bacteria. If you've ever had acne resistant to treatment (particularly your strain of P. acnes), you should bring up the idea of disinfection to your professional if you hadn't already. Otherwise a small whitehead after extraction isn't anything to be concerned about.

Yes that's right. They do disinfect and they zap the areas as well. Technically, little white bumps (those clusters of white blood cells) aren't really classified as "white heads" or pimples, but they do form sometimes after extractions.

Even with disinfection and zapping, I sometimes have a pimple form but it usually goes away.

#7 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Yes that's right. They do disinfect and they zap the areas as well. Technically, little white bumps (those clusters of white blood cells) aren't really classified as "white heads" or pimples, but they do form sometimes after extractions.

Even with disinfection and zapping, I sometimes have a pimple form but it usually goes away.

With proper extraction it's nothing to worry about. Of course if (and that's a big 'if') it does start it get inflamed, red and tender in that area, it's probably one of three possibilities: you're infected with another kind of bacteria, you're allergic to the disinfectant or you're inadvertently rubbing that spot too much, the last being the most likely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users