Photo

Continuing The Regimen Over Peeling Skin?

skin peeling flaking red benzoyl peroxide moisturizer irritated

5 replies to this topic

#1 SirTiggerEsq

SirTiggerEsq

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

So I'm three weeks into the regimen at the moment. As frustrating as it is still seeing no significant positive results, I'm continuing to follow the regimen diligently and trying my best to be patient. I'm having quite a significant reaction to the benzoyl peroxide however, and I was looking for further clarification regarding applying the regimen.

As is apparently typical even in the third week, my skin is horrifying at the moment. It's dry, very red, and extremely flakey - as in, every morning when I wake up and look in the mirror, my entire chin and around my nose is literally covered by stiff, dry skin that sometimes flakes off to touch and is sometimes still a little stuck. While the normal acne I had is gone, I'm now getting this bizarre kind of whitehead which is not infected, but involves large amounts of pus being trapped by the dead skin layer. I know, gross right?

Anyway, even gently sloughing off most of this skin in a warm shower with nothing but my hands causes my skin to go bright red for a full 24 hours, and not all the skin comes off - plenty of it is still attached and I'd really have to scrub to remove it - not a good idea.

What I was wondering is whether I should change how I'm applying the regimen due to the current state of my skin. Most days I just leave any skin that doesn't come off easily attached to my face so I don't cause any further irritation and apply the rest of the regimen on top of it, but will this possibly be making my problem worse somehow? Any suggestions you have to combat this would be great - I don't want to give up on the regimen, but it's really taking its toll on my self-esteem right now - it's way worse than the acne I had!

Please help!

---

Just to preempt these suggestions - I've already massively increased the amount of moisturiser I use to attempt to combat this to no avail. I apply moisturiser after the bp until my skin no longer feels dry, which can be three or even four pumps, and sometimes in two separate applications. I also started with a very small amount of bp and am still not up to the full dosage.

#2 armadillo

armadillo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

I say exfoliate...but very gently. Do you have a muslin cloth? just run it through warm water, let it sit on your face for a few seconds then gently rub the peeling skin off in circular motions.

Don't let this put you off the regimen, what you're experiencing happens to almost everyone who uses/used it. Posted Image

Finished Tetralysal on 12/04/13

Quinoderm 10 once a week

Gedarel 30/150 as current treatment.

#3 Andy Pack

Andy Pack

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

I can really relate to what your saying at first the regimen made my skin super dry, flaky, and red. I was really considering stopping the DKR especially because my mom and sisters would tell me how awful my skin had gotten with the BP, I heard about how good AHA was for dry flaky red skin and bought it form this site and I'M SO GLAD I DID!!! Seriously it helped A LOT with in two nights of using it my skin was so much better it was softer and hardly any flaks and really helped with the redness. Give it a try I'm glad I did:D !

#4 SirTiggerEsq

SirTiggerEsq

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

-armadillo: I have tried using a washcloth, but I've found that my hands are only slightly less effective, but noticeably less irritating to my skin. And thanks for the reassurance! I'm trying to be patient, but man is it annoying!

-Andy Pack: I avoided using the AHA because I thought it might end up increasing the irritation, but if it worked for you I'll definitely give it shot, I don't have a lot to lose. Thanks for the suggestion!

#5 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me
  • Interests:Boxing, cycling, reading, learning to speak french (tres mal), public speaking, bush walking/hiking, chocolate - well actually food in general, and perfect skin.... gazing admiringly at people's perfect skin.

Achievements

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

My suggestion is to not exfoliate as it is far too irritating and usually gives only short term relief before either making you more flakier or causing a break out.

AHA is wonderful stuff and it definitely helped with my dryness when I introduced it, but at 3 weeks you may be a little bit too early into the regimen to start using it, especially as you are not yet using the full dose of BP yet. If you do start to use AHA+ then I would strongly recommend that you 'water' it down by mixing it with moisuriser first.

It sounds like you are using plenty of moisturiser, which is great. I also had to apply extra layers throughout the day, but also a few drops of jojoba oil helps if you're not already using it. Another thing that really helped me in the first month was taking a break fromt the BP for 24 hours (so two applications). It gave my skin a chance to catch its breath before resuming again. That really helped me.

But when I introduced AHA at the 5 week mark that really made a difference, but i was already using the full amount of BP and was almost close to being clear of acne.

Good luck with it and hang in there. It does get better and you've come so far, so acne free skin is just around the corner. :)

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo.  I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month.  I can live with that :)

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry.  In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.

#6 Kyle_

Kyle_

Regimen user since 2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Another thing that really helped me in the first month was taking a break fromt the BP for 24 hours (so two applications).

I agree with AyeAye, Give your skin a break, also, try using BP only once a day, that works for a lot of people, I am 1 year into the regimen and I only EVER use BP once a day at the most

New Regimen!

Morning: 2 pumps Dan's cleanser in the shower, and "Eucerin Dermo Purifyer Hydrating Care" to moisturize, works to get me through the day without dry skin, but doesn't show, it's like there's nothing on my face, it's matt and doesn't shine.

///

Night: 2/3 pumps Dan's cleaner in the shower, using the cleanser to shave with a 2 blade generic razor, end segment finger's worth of Dan's BP, 2 pumps Dan's moisturizer with 6 drops generic, organic jojoba oil.

Sometimes just Dan's AHA+, or the usual application of Dan's BP with AHA+ on top if I'm feeling hardcore.

///

1 generic multivitamin, 30mg Zinc if the multivitamin doesn't contain it, 1/2 odorless garlic capsules, 2/3 EyeQ capsules (omega 3, 6, evening primrose oil,)

Have been on lots of different prescriptions, most successful was oxytetracycline.

New regimen!

Dove summer glow morning

AHA+ (acne.org) night!

Awaiting 20% salicylic acid gel in post for chin and nose.

Acne isn't returning after almost 2 years on the regimen

Looking for treatments for oily skin however, I have that really bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users