#1 eg6947

eg6947

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi folks,

Sorry for the rather long post but once again I am feeling down and I am tried of this crap and not sure what I should do!!! Like 17 yeas of struggling with them spots on and off is not enough!

I am in my mid 30's now and will not bore you with all the details of my life story because you can read my other posts in the other forums. So basically what I have been suffering from is what I think mild acne where I would have a few active spots (sometimes as little as 1 or 2) appearing and then taking their time and go away after a while. I never remember having too many active pimples all at once apart from maybe a very few times many years ago when I was younger and trying harsh soaps or other stuff. I have been living with this for so many years and it has had a huge impact on my self-esteem and my life. Sometimes, I feel very depressed to the extent I do not want to go to work or see anyone especially when I have one or two of them red angry inflamed ones which are full of blood and puss and other times things are not so bad to the extent I think I do not have acne and maybe random spots.

In the recent years I have been getting them more frequently in the middle of my forehead. I have even switched to expensive SLS free shampoos for months now. I still get occasional ones on other parts of my face in particular if I try some new face washes (I always choose the gentle ones which are supposedly non-comedogenic). But the area where they hit most is the forehead.

For many years, I put up with it as sometimes it gets better on its own to the extent I doubt maybe they are some occasional spots and not acne but I cannot remember the last time that I lasted a week or so with no active pimples at all.

I was so pissed off with a couple of new red ones on my forehead and went to see my GP in August and he gave me Duac and said to try it for 2 months. I did try it out and was consistent for about 6-7 weeks or so and seemed to be ok but I felt that it contributed to the hyper-pigmentation and visible black marks. In addition, I still had one or two new ones while I was using it. So I cannot be sure whether it did help or the stuff got better on its own. I admit, however, that I liked the feeling of using it otherwise I would have never been consistent with it all those weeks. I am also confused and scared of using washes etc. and never consistent with sticking with any of them because I am not sure it they make things worse. I tried different ones and you can see my other posts.

I had to move from where I used to live and changed my doctor. My skin is oily but lately it became extremely oily especially the hair-scalp and the forehead. Not sure if the amateur weight lifting (no supplements and nothing professional just a few resistance and free weight 4-5 exercises a day 4-5 times a week) for the last two years or so has contributed to the increase in oil production. It surely did not cause it because I have had the oiliness of the face plus the occasional spots for many years even when I did not go to the gym.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw my new doctor and wanted to do something about the oiliness of the skin which I think is the main root of the whole problem. He prescribed me Retin-A 0.01 for the dark spots left from the recent spots which may have been caused by even the Purpose face wash or the Duac gel which I have used in the previous weeks. There was hardly any active spots when I saw him.

Although for many years I resisted the idea of putting chemicals on my face, I started using Retin-A 0.01 for a week now. Not even sure which wash to use with it cause I still could not find a single cleanser that passes the test of not having any of the pore-clogging ingredients namely SLSs and Sodium Chloride. I had some bad experience in the past with some supposedly gentle soaps/ face washes before and that is why for many months sometimes I just washed with warm water.

When I started Retin-A, in the first few days, I washed with just water and then I used Purpose cleanser for a day or two.
I have now an angry spot on my forehead that developed the night before and another small one. Also the dark spots from the recent pimples seem to be a bit more visible than before. Not sure if I made a mistake by using those chemicals or I should stick to them! Also, not sure if I should stick to a cleanser or just wash twice with water on its own like I used to do for many years because I think my skin is kinda sensitive. I am scared of using any moisturizers in case they clog my oily skin.

My self-esteem has been very low for the past few weeks and I feel crap and cannot even concentrate on work or any thing. Not sure if I should continue with these chemicals either as I tried to resist the idea of chemicals for many years and go the point where I was scared of using anything on my face.

I started to eat very healthy diet for the past month or so with many vegetables, fruits, fish and chicken including juicing green vegetables on daily basis. I almost completely removed sugar and diary from my diet for a few weeks now. I am very active and train 5-6 days a week.
I have even decided to start eliminating all foods with high GI index from my diet for a few weeks as well including all types of bread which is usually part of my daily diet. Not sure if diet is to blame in my case but I am desperately trying to put an end to this struggle so I am trying all possible options! Sometimes I even think I do not mind requesting Accutane although my case is not severe but I have had enough and would not mind trying anything to stop it!

So what do you guys recommend? Any suggestions/advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edited by eg6947, 12 November 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#2 Hopeful479

Hopeful479

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:Journaling, shopping, poety, exercise, music, cooking, holistic medicine, minimalism, Jesus, my son, and a pursuit of clear skin :-)

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Maybe your body is now in a state of a healing crisis and is detoxing. You may just have to wait it out. I find the cod liver oil pills helped reduce the oiliness of my skin. Also zinc can help. Best of luck and remember that acne won't last for ever Posted Image

Edited by Hopeful479, 12 November 2012 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users