Photo

Coconut Oil question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:57 AM

After hearing about the benefits of Coconut Oil, I picked some up. The problem is that the oil is not oil at all but a somewhat hard white substance. Is this how it's supposed to be? If so, how do I use it properly to fry things with?

#2 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 11:33 AM

Also, I have a question to anyone who has done some cooking with gluten-free flours. I tried Buckwheat flour but when I tried making a flat wrap(buckwheat Flour + Egg substitute+ Soymilk, mixed and put onto the pan), it didn't really work. The mix was too sticky and burned very easily, it was impossible to flip the wrap as with ordinary flour.

So my question is, what flour would work well for such a thing?

Same with Pierogis, I tried making them with buckwheat but the flour was too loose to hold the innards. So which flour matches up to the quality of white flour when it comes to cooking these two things. There are plenty I haven't tried yet like Millet, Amarath, Rice or Brown Rice Flours.

#3 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:28 PM

steve. thats exactly how coconut oil is, atleast mine is that way.. all white an sticky an stuff.. good times
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules] Country music makes me horny

#4 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:45 PM

If you heat up the hard white stuff then it will become like a liquid, sometimes I look in my tub of coconut oil and its solid other times its like an oil, it varies...
Currently recovering from prolonged moderate breakout

Current Regim:
Trying to avoid: Dairy/Sugar/Carbs/Processed Foods/Alcohol/Caffeine
Suplements: zinc/multi-vitamin/fish oil/ACV tablets/vitamin C/B5
Topicals:coconut oil/Jojoba oil/ACV AM and PM, washing with olive oil soap, BP AM and PM
Current status: couple of small angry white heads which is annoying but they clear up pretty quickly, mainly red marks and scars though

#5 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2004 - 01:59 PM

It liquifies at temps above 76 degrees fahreheit, and solidifies at temps lower than this.

I use it as a body moisturizer, and I actually prefer it solidified. When you touch it, the heat of your hand immediately turns it into oil, as if by magic. wink.gif
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#6 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:29 PM

Ditto to what everyone said; it's supposed to be hard and looks like lard or shortening. That's a sign it's the real, unprocessed coconut oil. Liquified coconut oil is NOT unprocessed, but very refined and not good for you.

#7 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:31 PM

Thes best coconut oil ever is from Best Coconut Oil

I use to buy the ones from the store to, but then I read about how great this tasted at curezone.com and raw food forums so i bought some. Its one of the best tasting things ever. I use it every morning mixed with a bunch of things. Very very good.

#8 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:23 PM

Indeed. I want to get an organic unrefined virgin coconut oil.

Anyone know if
http://www.vitacost......t=coconut oil

The garden of life Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is good because I'm ordering some supplements from that site soon and would just add that to my order.

#9 LittleLamb

LittleLamb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(Lumas @ Oct 5 2004, 12:31 PM)
Its one of the best tasting things ever. I use it every morning mixed with a bunch of things. Very very good.

View Post

What sort of foods do you mix it with?
Started Accutane 9/20/09

Month 1: 40mg Amnesteem
Month 2: 60mg Amnesteem
Month 3: 60mg Claravis
Month 4: 40mg Amnesteem (Not a fan of Claravis)

Cleanser - Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash
Moisturizer - Eucerin Q10 Sensitive Skin Cream Cetaphil (Eucerin was clogging pores)
Lip Balm - Alba Botanicals, Aquaphor, or Vaseline
(depends on how dry my lips are)

#10 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Bai @ Oct 5 2004, 03:28 PM)
What sort of foods do you mix it with?

View Post

Well I use it to make various things. LoL since im on an acne diet I had to make up my own food, but it is awesome. Most of the ingredients I use you probaly never heard of. Alot of it is raw food such as raw carob, raw mesquite, raw hemp powder, raw tahani, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, almond butter, almond milk, raw coconut flakes and coconut oil.

With these ingredients you can make soooo many different things that are healthy and taste great. Im into some raw food not really because its raw, but because they really have creative cookies and deserts that taste great and wont break you out. If you want ideas check out:

rawfoodsupport.com
rawfoodchat.com

They both have recipe forums.
The things that have kept me on this diet are the raw foods I mentioned above. When I get a craving for something sweet I can make it with those ingredients. I can make a breafast pudding, chocolate candy, chocholate cookies and it goes on and on. Carob is a powder that taste alot like chocolate, but does not have caffine or anything else that is bad for you. Anyway, check out raw food sites if your interested.

#11 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Oct 5 2004, 03:23 PM)
Indeed. I want to get an organic unrefined virgin coconut oil.

Anyone know if
http://www.vitacost......t=coconut oil

The garden of life Extra Virgin Coconut Oil  is good because I'm ordering some supplements from that site soon and would just add that to my order.

View Post

Yea Steve, that would be fine. Butt, im telling you, try the coconut oil from wildernes family naturals. Ive tryed so many different coconut oils including the garden of life one and they have no taste compared to the WFN one. tropicaltraditions.com is suppose to have a great one too, but WFN has great service and I receives orders within a few days. WFN's freeze dried coconut flakes is also so good tasting. The ones from stores contain sulfates so they dont turn brown so I never buy it from the store. Anyway, you can even buy a small sample for 1 dollar!

#12 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:03 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm eusa_think.gif .....and I thought Garden of Life's tasted good! eusa_doh.gif

#13 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(Denise2 @ Oct 5 2004, 04:03 PM)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm eusa_think.gif .....and I thought Garden of Life's tasted good! eusa_doh.gif

View Post

LOL, well think again denise. Im surprised you never heard of the coconut oil im talking about since your on curezone alot. Next time you run out, you should really give the WFN a try.

#14 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:14 PM

Hmm, I'll check it out although it's a bit pricey. What size do you get and how long does that usually last you?

#15 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Oct 5 2004, 04:14 PM)
Hmm, I'll check it out although it's a bit pricey. What size do you get and how long does that usually last you?

View Post

Well I just recently started using it, but I bought a pint of teh India one and a pint of the philippines. Im using the India one right now for about maybe 3 weeks and i got a ton left. I use maybe 3 Tbs. a day. Im guessing maybe around 3-4 months it would last, but im not sure. Yea its pricey, but heavenly.

#16 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:50 PM

Lumas: I've heard of it, just never used it.

#17 LittleLamb

LittleLamb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 09:30 PM

Lumas, thanks for the info. I might have to give this a try. Have you found that eating this way has helped your overall health and acne?
Started Accutane 9/20/09

Moisturizer - Eucerin Q10 Sensitive Skin Cream Cetaphil (Eucerin was clogging pores)

#18 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(Bai @ Oct 5 2004, 08:30 PM)
Lumas, thanks for the info.  I might have to give this a try. Have you found that eating this way has helped your overall health and acne?

View Post

Well im always into finding new thinsg that are really good for you and taste good so thats why I use coconut oil. It has a sweet taste to it and like I said before, you can use it for so many different deserts or even to cook. You can do a google on the health benefits of taking coconut oil.

I doubt coconut oil will clear up acne, but its good for killing candida among many other things.

Heres one of the many links you can find about coconut oil.
http://www.mercola.c...coconut_oil.htm

#19 LittleLamb

LittleLamb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:44 AM

Ok, got it! Thanks
Started Accutane 9/20/09

#20 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(Lumas @ Oct 5 2004, 12:31 PM)
Thes best coconut oil ever is from Best Coconut Oil

View Post

I ordered a sample of this. eusa_shifty.gif