Photo

will green tea still work if a sweetner is in it?

green tea low glycemic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:40 AM

i am going to start drinking green tea, but im wondering if it will still be effective if i put my low glycemic, low acidic sugar substitute xylitol in it? also i will probably add some fresh squeezed lemon juice

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(sadcaroline @ Oct 5 2004, 06:40 AM)
i am going to start drinking green tea, but im wondering if it will still be effective if i put my low glycemic, low acidic sugar substitute xylitol in it? also i will probably add some fresh squeezed lemon juice

View Post

I think it will be just fine. When I drink tea it's either plain or if it's too strong then I'll add xylitol to it. As for fresh lemon juice....I'm sure it won't hurt it once in a while or maybe all the time. Say, do you drink your tea hot or cold?

#3 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(sadcaroline @ Oct 5 2004, 05:40 AM)

View Post

I tried xylitol chewing gum (ClënDent), and it seemed to cause small pimples to appear. As I understand it, xylitol is a sugar alcohol, which is absorbed by the body gradually in the intestine. I recall reading that it also undergoes fermentation in the gut, so that may cause sugar to be released into the bloodstream. I don't use any sweeteners except fruit juice. Instead of xylitol, you might consider trying stevia, a natural non-caloric sweetener. It's a sweet-tasting herb.

I don't see any other reason why a sweetener would compromise the benefits of green tea. As I understand it, the primary benefits are the phenols which are antioxidants. My own theory as to why water and green tea are so good at treating acne is that they satisfy the thirst without giving you a huge dose of sugar, which you get from a can of soda pop. Even a large glass of fruit juice contains a big dose of sugar, so when I drink fruit juice, it's one ounce of juice and enough seltzer to fill the glass. Very refreshing. The bicarbonate ions in seltzer aid digestion in the duodenum (small intestine), so seltzer is good to drink an hour or two after a meal.

Lemon juice is a good thing to add to green tea. It contains citrus bioflavonoids and citric acid, which are antioxidants. Citric acid also aids digestion and helps alkalinize the blood, so I think it should be called vitamin C2, with ascorbic acid being C1.

#4 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(sadcaroline @ Oct 5 2004, 05:40 AM)

View Post

you casn agree or not with me all you like,but from what i've researched on green tea (ALOT) you aren't suppose to add milk or sugar...so i guess a sugar sweetner is no good!

Just drink it without milk or sugar,what's the big deal...it's a great taste anyway

#5 TheExtricateApparition

TheExtricateApparition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 01:20 PM

lol great taste, its gross, the stuff fucking makes me nautious. I would discribe the taste as diluted cod liver oil. Jeesh how on earth can i endure this vile potion each day!

#6 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(TheExtricateApparition @ Oct 5 2004, 11:20 AM)
lol great taste, its gross, the stuff fucking makes me nautious. I would discribe the taste as diluted cod liver oil. Jeesh how on earth can i endure this vile potion each day!

View Post

I'd say it tastes like cigerettes in hot water...i'm using the chinease green tea myself!

YUM YUM!!

#7 welshbabe

welshbabe

Welshbabe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

I've been told that proper green tea tastes much better than the stuff you buy already in bags from the supermarket. A friend of mine has been drinking green tea for years, he tried the one I had and said it was horrible (after he saw me gagging as I drunk it) so apparently the good quality, chinease leaves are much better for you as well as more pleasent.

#8 Guest_Captain Chaos_*

Guest_Captain Chaos_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:58 AM

I don't use any sweetener with my green tea...I think that using the twinnings flavoured ones is better smile.gif

#9 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(Captain Chaos @ Oct 6 2004, 09:58 AM)
I don't use any sweetener with my green tea...I think that using the twinnings flavoured ones is better smile.gif

View Post

Hey chaos my friend,got myself some chinease green tea leafs now (loose that is)

i use a strainer without tea bags now,the taste is much stronger...plus this way i know i've got 100% green tea and not 60% of it like in twinnings green tea.

#10 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:23 PM

Look if you don't like the taste of green tea then don't drink it. The stress of drinking it and hating it will hurt your acne more than feeling good and not drinking it.

Real good green tea has a pleasant MILD taste. Of course it turns bitter the longer you brew it and if you put boiling water on it.

The good thing about green tea bought in loose leaf is that you can add infusions to it(they do it at many tea houses beforehand), so you can pick different flavours to your liking. My dad doesn't like green tea so he got some good loose leaf green tea with blueberries in it and he loves the stuff. My mom loves the peach flavoured one(and this is my favorite as well). The infusions don't detratct from the flavour, but add to it in my opinion.

#11 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:31 PM

I went into the place where I picked up my first batch of loose green tea today and they said they weren't stocking it anymore? That's pretty shitty for a hardcore China town market store. I asked at some other shops but all they had was the bag stuff. This sucked a dick. The imported bag stuff I have actually tastes quite similar to the loose leaves but i'd still rather have the leaves.

So I ordered some off this site because I got desperate:
http://www.kombucha..../supplies.shtml

I ordered the loose Sencha stuff, 500g. The price seems okay to what i'd seen elsewhere. I understand Sencha is the standard Green Tea variety. So if anyone is stuck for finding a shop or whatever locally then maybe give that website a try.

In response to blackbirdbeatle, I agree. I had some supermarket bag version some while ago and it tasted very different to what I now know the taste of green tea to be. It tasted quite strongly.. of something.. I don't know what but it wasn't green tea. The leaves and imported bags taste modrate in comparison to this.

#12 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 03:28 PM

I occasionally enjoy a cup of green tea that is brewed slowly at reduced temperature. Heating the water to about 170 degrees in the cup, and letting a tea bag sit in it for about 20 minutes, results in a mild-flavored tea. I like Salada green tea for the taste, but Lipton green tea gives a good dose of caffine, if I need to stay awake.