Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriously Considering Stopping Retin A

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been using Retin A for just over 6 months now, basic break down:

0-1 month: really dry, minor breakout

1-3 months: AWESOME SKIN, life is good, smooth face, not a spot in sight :)

3-6 months: Hell. major breakout, literally had maybe four days max without a breakout.

Basically for the last 3 months my skin has been awful, I'm now 6 months in and it's showing no signs of improvement - if anything it's getting worse.

Planning to stop using Retin - can anyone give me an experience that suggests the best is yet to come? Has anyone else had a break out for this long and then it's cleared up...

I'm willing to carry on for another 6 months like this as long as I know there is a smooth light at the end of the acne tunnel!

Thanks,

Jason

First of all, I applaud you for sticking out for such long time despite it not working out for you.

I'm at 2 month mark of Retin-A Micro .04% and I am considering getting my dosage bumped up

perhaps you should go back to your doctor and discuss other options, because from what I heard you should be pretty much clear by three months. If not, the treatment is probably not working.

Hi,

Thanks for your input - that was kind of what I'd read.

Think I'm going to make an appointment with the Doc and see if they think I should stop...

The only thing that makes me want to continue is that it did work for a few weeks at the start.

Thanks,

Jason

Do you exfoliate? I've seen a lot of people around the internet saying that retin-a worked for a while and then it stopped and I think it's because maybe people don't exfoliate. Retin-a makes the skin shed a lot faster and I think that if the dead skin isn't removed then it can cause problems because all the dead skin builds up and clogs the pores and at that point the retin-a can't even sink into the skin to do any good. I've been using retin-a for over 4 months now and my skin is doing really well. I exfoliate every morning with exfoliating gloves. Try to use a non-comedogenic cleanser and moisturizer, no soap.