razor

3 replies to this topic

#1 gymrat3

gymrat3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

So my dermatologist told me the truth to avoiding acne while shaving is to use an electric razor. From what I've seen they are all very expensive. Any suggestions on some? I tried regular shaving and it just doesn't work well, leaves my skin irritated and I don't think it's right for me.

List your top 3 electric razors if you'd like, or one will just do.

Thanks

#2 enjoy

enjoy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

i have an older typical 3 circular head type razor and never found it much better than wetshaving in terms of irritation... I had to go over and over and over on some spots to cut 2 or 3 hairs that just refused to cooperate and actually enter the cracks to get chopped. Not to mention I had to press down relatively hard to get a somewhat smooth finish but that also resulted in me hacking up my neck and chin in an attempt to get a baby smooth result. The razor came with a clipper/sideburn trimmer attachment that is basically a clipper at "0" setting so I tried that and never looked back. it leaves a 1mm stubble or so but at least it's uniform and consistent and no irritating whatsoever.

#3 ThePauper

ThePauper

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Electric razors may be better - it depends on how sensitive your skin is. Your dermatologist probably recommended an electric razor because there is a much lower risk of actually slicing your face with an electric razor. For this reason, there are a lot of advantages to electric razors (for this application, rotaries are probably better even though some find combs to be more gentle).

You mentioned a concern about the cost. If you are wanting to buy an electric razor for comfort rather than convenience, you are definitely looking at the more expensive razors. For better or worse, a lot of the bad experiences people like enjoy have come from junk electric razors. Most of the electric shavers out there are pretty worthless, and you have to spend a little more money ($80 and up) to get a decent shave without razor burn. If you aren't interested in spending a little more, I would recommend sticking with a nice shaving gel and a Gillette Fusion because the cheap electrics will probably be worse.

If you're interested in getting an electric shaver, there are a lot of factors to consider.
I put together a guide that I think might help you as you look for an electric shaver. I have explained how they work, and I laid out the differences between a lot of popular models.

You can find the guide here: The Pauper's Dime Guide to Buying the Right Electric Shaver for the Right Price

Good Luck! Posted Image

#4 matt f

matt f

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

I have always gotten on better with Rotary's rather than Foil razors. Philips do the best from what I've heard/experienced. My latest one was like £70 and came with a free cleaning machine from Amazon.

I shave at night every other day. Your face needs to be dry beforehand so I splash some water on there, wait 15 mins'ish and then shave.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users