Icepick Scarring/nose Scarring Help

icepick dermabrasion

14 replies to this topic

#1 kdg20

kdg20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Video games, basketball, skating.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hello there, I've been dealing with scarring on my nose for about 4 years. I am 20 years old and can remember my first nose scarring coming from a fall I took after passing out and falling onto a wooden beam when I was 16. At that age I also started getting a lot of blackheads so I would extract them myself without going about it with any proper care. By 17 I became depressed about my appearance and really loathed the scars on my nose, skipped class, and avoided a lot of social activities.
In the summer of 2009 I went to a plastic surgeon that my mother was well acquiantedwith and had him perform a dermabrasion on my nose in order to improve my blackhead scars and enlarged pores. Immediately following the treatment my nose was raw and fleshy; It was the last week of August and I'd be starting my senior year of high school soon. The downtime for the dermabrasion was longer than I anticipated, and as a result I missed my first month of school altogether in order to heal properly, keep my nose from the sun, and avoid seeing my peeps.By the first week of October I remember being back in class and feeling okay about the condition and appearance of my nose, and after a few weeks of being around other people I felt confident about my appearance.
It's been a little over 3 years since my dermabrasion and I'm beginning to feel the same way I felt about my nose prior to the procedure, and at times I even question whether or not there was any actual improvement. The blackheads are the root of the problem, and recently I've had an icepick scar form near the middle of my nose after trying to carefully extract an obnoxious looking blackhead.
I can't help but have this hyper-awareness of my nose all the time now; I've been with my current girlfriend for 6 months and she doesn't seem too bothered by my nose, but she did ask me, "what happened to your nose? did you have bad acne?" once, So I know she's at the very least cognizant of the fact that my nose is scarred (And this question came before the aforementioned icepick scar!)
I'd love some advice from anyone with successful icepick scarring/ nose scarring stories, and any advice for that matter.

I'm new to these boards but I've been lurking for years, any help would be appreciated guys!

IMG-20121106-00562 (1).jpg IMG-20121106-00563.jpg IMG-20121106-00564.jpg IMG-20121106-00569.jpg

#2 Quirky Fox

Quirky Fox

Up Through The Ashes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Avid researcher of the science behind scars and their treatments. 2013 is my year to beat my scars once and for all!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

Hiya!

Your scarring is mild but if it bothers you then I'm glad you're doing something about it. I don't have ice pick scarring but I hear good things about TCA cross. Have you looked into this?

All the best.

#3 kdg20

kdg20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

I've heard that tca crossing doesn't really work well with the skin on our noses, however I admit I don't know much about it. I'd really like to get rid of these scars, they make me feel very insecure and have my wishing I had a time machine or something, in order to go back and keep myself from making this self-destructive mistake.

#4 Quirky Fox

Quirky Fox

Up Through The Ashes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Avid researcher of the science behind scars and their treatments. 2013 is my year to beat my scars once and for all!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

I think we'd all like a time machine. If your nose bothers you to the point where it's always on your mind then I suggest getting out there and talking to doctors and researching options. The nose is a hard area to treat but you don't know if something doesn't work until you try it. You had dermabrasion way back in 2009. Your body would have naturally lost collagen since then, and environmental changes plus new blackheads would be adding to what you see now.

Two things:

1. We are always our harshest critic. Personally I think your nose is just fine. :) Try not to let it bother you, your nose does not define who you are.
2. Tackle the problem about your active blackheads. The only person I trust to remove my blackheads is my technician who does my microderms. She lances the skin so that the blackheads can be removed without causing scarring and/or pimples. Maybe you should see about microderms and exfoliating creams to help keep your blackheads away.

Keep researching!

#5 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

I think your skin looks really nice overall, and I would suggest just trying to accept this minor scarring. It's true that nose is a very unpredictable area to treat re: TCA cross and needling and in the worst case scenario, you could make your scars worse. :/ I would try just something like Retin-A or light peels to improve the overall texture on your nose instead of doing anything drastic. I don't think your scarring is worth worrying too much about, it's really not that bad.

If you really want to try TCA cross, you should try a test spot on just one scar first and see how it heals. It may improve your scars, but not necessarily. In any case, try to find an experienced doctor to do it rather than trying anything at home (mostly because I wouldn't trust any online TCA to be what it claims to be, and it does come with too high a risk). I've had cross done a few times on my small boxcars and some shallow ice-picks, including one on my nose, but cross didn't actually give me much of an improvement anywhere on my face. Then again, it didn't worsen the small scar on my nose either.

I have no experience with laser treatments and whether the skin on the nose can be treated with lasers, but if you really want to see improvement, you might want to look into those options too, especially Fraxel Repair and Deep FX or Total Fx.

Edited by austra, 07 November 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#6 kdg20

kdg20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate the words of encouragement! I've been considering some punch excision/graft and follow it up with a light dermabrasion, but I haven't been able to get an appointment with a derm/surgeon here in the nyc area. The thing that scares me most is spending a bunch of money without results, it would probably make me lose hope for my scars altogether.

#7 Quirky Fox

Quirky Fox

Up Through The Ashes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Never lose hope! That is by far the worst thing you can do. You've got one life to live, so live it the way you want. :D

I have had 5 sessions of Fraxel Re:Store but my problem is not my nose so I'm sorry but I can't shed any light on whether that treatment would be good for you. Re:Pair is a different laser though and is more aggressive. I haven't had this treatment before.

I did a quick Google search a few moments ago and some doctors seem to think that soft fillers such as Restylane may improve shallow scarring on the nose-tip. Restylane is known to improve collagen as it is a hyaluronic acid based filler. Results are not permanent, per say, but they are long term. The biggest benefit is that your body will continue to build collagen as the filler is absorbed. Plus you can always go back for touch-ups as you need them. Worth checking out at least!

#8 SkyeeHi

SkyeeHi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

I had a hideous dent around the center of my nose as well.. Well still have it but its much smaller now, what I do might sound crazy but I did self dermabrasion with a piece of carbide sand paper you just sand it down till its raw and pink if you see blood stop apply antiseptic on it and it will scab in 2 days by day 7 it should come off but this seriously levels out the skin I've had about 70% improvement! Good luck let me know if you try it I know how horrible is to have this on your nose and share it does to your confidence

#9 Eheheh

Eheheh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

I have similar scars on my nose as well! Mostly from large blackhead that somehow turned into large pustules. I hate them. I don't really understand what you said in your post though-did your scars come back after your dermabrasion? I thought dermabrasion was permanent becaue it sanded your skin away. And also, how much did a dermabrasion for just your nose cost?

#10 LuvPink

LuvPink

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Even though u have minor scars on your nose, you're still a good-looking guy.

I have box scars on the top of my nose and i did a combo procedure that seemed to help. It was subcision, dermasanding and CO2 laser all at once. I had 3 scars all clustered together but now it's down to one on the tip f my nose.

I tried temporary filler and fat transfer on my nose. Since scar tissue is different, more tightly banded the filler just goes around it causing it to look more donut-like.

Also because the scar is so close to the top of the skin, the filler gel can just ooze out of your pores and not do anything.

Edited by LuvPink, 18 January 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#11 whattobehandsome30

whattobehandsome30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Video gaming , drawing , Listening to music , Watching Mixed Martial Arts , Being with friends and loved ones.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

You're not alone friend .. i have nose scarring from a dry pimples .... am going for ebrium yag laser treatment ... i'll post how i got on 

#12 lenar

lenar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

I also have a deep scar on my nose. I have read that massaging it with rose hip oil would help. Or any non comodogenic oil. Massage it vigorously back and forth. :)

You're not alone friend .. i have nose scarring from a dry pimples .... am going for ebrium yag laser treatment ... i'll post how i got on 

#13 lenar

lenar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

I also have a deep scar on my nose. I have read that massaging it with rose hip oil would help. Or any non comodogenic oil. Massage it vigorously back and forth. :)

#14 Shaw

Shaw

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

KDG- your scars really seem to cause you concern. You mentioned trying to find a physician in NYC. I think that is a great idea, make certain that whomever you choose has experience in treating scars and can offer you several options. Acne scars can be some of the most challenging scars to treat, and there is no one single treatment regimen that works on everyone. Make sure to get all your options and then make a decision based on what made you feel most comfortable. 

Some people had advised trying filler to the scar, which I would stay away from given that you have deep Icepick scars. The options I would advise looking into would be TCA CROSS, CO2 laser combined with topical Sculptra, or derma pen combined with platelet rich plasma. You might have to try several different treatments until you find the one that works best. 

I hope you can find help

Best wishes

#15 blahblah82

blahblah82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Topical Sculptra?   Never heard of it.   In general, I think Sculptra is an awful product and should not be used. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users