33 replies to this topic

#1 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hello,

I have extremely oily skin and a nose full of blackheads. I have tried all the regular stuff like BP, BHA, Epiduo, Differin, Nose strips, Clay masks, Megadosing vitamin B5, etc etc.

Everything seems to be absolutely useless at getting rid of my blackheads and oily skin.

My question is, would a low dose of Accutane help my situation? Sensible answers only, please.

My nose looks exactly like another Acne.org poster (mikeh26) who posted a picture of his condition:

Posted Image

#2 readytosmileagain

readytosmileagain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

i talked to my doc about my blackheads on my nose and to be honest - i wouldnt take accutane for this. She advised me to ge them extracted every 3 months or so and to stop looking in those magnifying mirrors...

I took accutane and for the amount you have to take to get the results you want and to stop the oil production your blackheads will go away but as soon as you stop taking them, they will come right back... blackheads are not the type of acne that accuane use has the potential to prevent forever....

get them extracted then when you wash your face use COLD water at the end so your pores tighten up and see if that helps - i know it sucks, trust me, but im sure not a lot of people notice it at all!!

#3 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for your answer. However, I don't see the point in extracting every 3 months? Surely they'd come back a day or two after your extraction if you don't keep the oil at bay? And how do you get them extracted anyway? My nose is sensitive to pretty much anything so I'm guessing I'd look like Rudolph for the next couple of weeks after an extraction..

#4 readytosmileagain

readytosmileagain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

just telling you what she suggested - she said if you are prone to black heads and have oily skin you dont have a lot of answers out there... and this was her only suggestion - black heads do not go away until you extract them - there is nothing that can be done and thery dont go away over time unfortunately. maybe a type of laser? id talk to a professional and maybe get a few suggestions!

#5 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

I don't really trust dermatologists' views on things anymore to be honest. They told me differin would work, it didn't. They told me Epiduo would work, it didn't. The list goes on, I've tried so many things that just haven't had any positive effect whatsoever.

That's why I'm looking to get rid of them through accutane..

#6 sallysa

sallysa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

My feeling is that it can't hurt to try it. You can always stop accutane if it doesn't feel right. just my 2 cents.

#7 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

At the end of the day, you'll probably do what you want to do inspite of what anyone else has to say but my opinion is this:

If your nose is the ONLY problem area (oily skin is actually healthy skin) and you don't get acne anywhere else, accutane is overkill. This is a drug that can leave you with potentially life changing side effects that may or may not go away after treatment so if you choose to take it, at least make sure you have tried less invasive stuff (i've been on accutane before and i am currently on a third course AFTER having tried diet changes, natural skin care, topicals, BC, etc).

Only you can decide if acne on your nose is worth taking this drug.

As another poster stated, accutane is not meant for non inflamed acne like blackheads

Good Luck with your choice.

#8 Phobia

Phobia

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

Low dose should be fine.. :)..

#9 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thanks a lot for the replies. It's good to get the opinion of others before you make up your own.

At the end of the day, you'll probably do what you want to do inspite of what anyone else has to say but my opinion is this:

If your nose is the ONLY problem area (oily skin is actually healthy skin) and you don't get acne anywhere else, accutane is overkill. This is a drug that can leave you with potentially life changing side effects that may or may not go away after treatment so if you choose to take it, at least make sure you have tried less invasive stuff (i've been on accutane before and i am currently on a third course AFTER having tried diet changes, natural skin care, topicals, BC, etc).

Only you can decide if acne on your nose is worth taking this drug.

As another poster stated, accutane is not meant for non inflamed acne like blackheads

Good Luck with your choice.

I've tried pretty much everything you can try for oily skin and blackheads, except for a proper diet. But the proper diet won't get rid of the blackheads, will it?

Also, that's why I'd like to go on a low dose, because I want to minimize the side-effects as much as possible. I get really frustrated with my oily skin, it's a pain in the ass having to think about it every 15 minutes of the day, knowing if you don't wash it off or blot you're going to look like a greaseball. And the blackheads just do not budge on their own or with any other product I've tried.

#10 readytosmileagain

readytosmileagain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Is there a derm willing to give you a perscription? Its a long process to start so the sooner you make the appointment the easier it will be for you - call someone today if thats the choice you feel is the best one....

my side effects were pretty mild but lots od drying, big time scarring, and joint pain is what ive dealt with since - not drying of the skin, its possibly more oily now than it was before but on the lips and hair....

#11 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Oily skin.

Achievements

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:25 AM

Readytosmileagain is right, you should make an appointment right away, and then you'll have weeks before your appointment to decide if you want it. I'm most likely gonna start low dose accutane on my next appointment in six weeks. My oil on my skin is really thick and sticky(gross) and it clogs my pores every day. I also have acne though, so my derm decided to let me try low dose accutane on my next appointment. If you only have blackheads and no acne, then accutane might not be worth it, even at a low dose. And derms aren't supposed to prescribe it just for oily skin and blackheads.

If you do take it, I was thinking that long term low dose is the best way for getting rid of oil. When people take a full dose for a few months, their oil sometimes comes right back after they stop taking it. But that's the thing - they stop taking it. If your dose is low enough, you should be able to safely take it for years, and avoid having the oil come back for a long time. Plus a low dose should limit side effects and keep your skin at a normal amount of oil, instead of overly dry.

#12 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Readytosmileagain is right, you should make an appointment right away, and then you'll have weeks before your appointment to decide if you want it. I'm most likely gonna start low dose accutane on my next appointment in six weeks. My oil on my skin is really thick and sticky(gross) and it clogs my pores every day. I also have acne though, so my derm decided to let me try low dose accutane on my next appointment. If you only have blackheads and no acne, then accutane might not be worth it, even at a low dose. And derms aren't supposed to prescribe it just for oily skin and blackheads.

If you do take it, I was thinking that long term low dose is the best way for getting rid of oil. When people take a full dose for a few months, their oil sometimes comes right back after they stop taking it. But that's the thing - they stop taking it. If your dose is low enough, you should be able to safely take it for years, and avoid having the oil come back for a long time. Plus a low dose should limit side effects and keep your skin at a normal amount of oil, instead of overly dry.

First of all thank you and readytosmileagain for your replies, I appreciate it.

Omnivium, I seem to have the same skin as you in regards to oily skin, it's extremely oily and I have loads of clogged pores and blackheads.. I don't really have any acne or zits normally, but that's only because I do not eat the foods that make me break out (fast food, candy, pizza, chips, crisps, etc). As soon as I eat any of those, all hell breaks lose.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on your Accutane journey. I hope you can live an oil-free life and have clear skin.

#13 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

How long does it take for a low dose of Accutane take to work for blackheads?

#14 lionfish

lionfish

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Well I have been on Accutane for going on 14 weeks now. 10 weeks at 20mg then these last 3 and a bit weeks at 40mg. Most of my acne is on my back so it is hard for me to actually see / assess the situation accurately, but I'm told there is some improvement although I still have new (painful) nodules forming.

To answer the question about blackheads..... well (*checks mirror*) I am seeing not a whole lot of difference in the blackheads on my nose and face. My skin is much less oily and feels dry to touch, but my "T-zone" still looks a bit shiny....... However I have stopped washing my face with acne lotion/soap twice every day, so I guess it must be a lot less oily really because before I started Accutane I just HAD to wash my face regularly or else it felt like I had been bathing in oil all day.

Side effects? Dry eyes (that look red at times, so people think you are drunk or high....) dry mouth, peeling lips, achy muscles (tho I had this before accutane..). I would not recommend Accutane for anything other than severe acne OR persistent moderate acne with scarring. This is not a medication to start taking to cure "just" a few blackheads......well that is my opinion anyway, but I'm not medically qualified.

#15 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Well I have been on Accutane for going on 14 weeks now. 10 weeks at 20mg then these last 3 and a bit weeks at 40mg. Most of my acne is on my back so it is hard for me to actually see / assess the situation accurately, but I'm told there is some improvement although I still have new (painful) nodules forming.

To answer the question about blackheads..... well (*checks mirror*) I am seeing not a whole lot of difference in the blackheads on my nose and face. My skin is much less oily and feels dry to touch, but my "T-zone" still looks a bit shiny....... However I have stopped washing my face with acne lotion/soap twice every day, so I guess it must be a lot less oily really because before I started Accutane I just HAD to wash my face regularly or else it felt like I had been bathing in oil all day.

Side effects? Dry eyes (that look red at times, so people think you are drunk or high....) dry mouth, peeling lips, achy muscles (tho I had this before accutane..). I would not recommend Accutane for anything other than severe acne OR persistent moderate acne with scarring. This is not a medication to start taking to cure "just" a few blackheads......well that is my opinion anyway, but I'm not medically qualified.

Thanks for your post. Nice to hear your skin has stopped being so oily. I'm looking to get rid of my extremely oily skin and blackheads, hoping a low dose can do this for me..

#16 Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock

Michael

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hey Vincevega, how did you get on with this?? Did you give accutane a go for the blackheads?

Im literally in the same boat now, pondering on whether I should or not.

#17 readytosmileagain

readytosmileagain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

My blackheads went completely away - my skin was so "pretty" as far as the texture and the color during accutane but as soon as you stop and the oil comes back, so does the blackheads.... i wish there was an easy cure for them, especially if that is all you have to deal with! 

#18 melmel87

melmel87

melle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

That's not even noticeable, no one is looking at your nose that closely besides you. The benefits don't outweigh the risks, accutane could potentially decrease oil production by 10% but I will bet those blackheads will come back even though in my opinion they just look like sebaceous filaments and your nose just looks irritated from whatever you're putting on it to be honest.

#19 vincevega

vincevega

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

That's not even noticeable, no one is looking at your nose that closely besides you. The benefits don't outweigh the risks, accutane could potentially decrease oil production by 10% but I will bet those blackheads will come back even though in my opinion they just look like sebaceous filaments and your nose just looks irritated from whatever you're putting on it to be honest.

It's pretty noticeable, even from a couple of feet away, tbh. I've heard a lot of low dose accutane courses where the oil production has been curbed by 90 to 100%, while on the drug, of course.

I haven't put anything on my nose for almost 2 years now, and my nose is in the exact same state. Maybe the epiduo and differin did permanent damage and caused the redness?

#20 acne2000

acne2000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Vincevega, The picture is almost identical to my nose prior to Accutane.  The condition made me very self conscious and only gets worse with age.  My personal opinion is yes, do the Accutane.  Find a good doc that will work with you and appreciate the things you have tried and that this is a very important issue for you.  Start with the LOWEST possible because you are not trying to blast out acne, rather you are just trying to slow or shut down the hyperactive sebaceous glans.  It takes weeks to start to see results so be patient.  I too have tried everything from topical remedies to expensive lasers for very similar clogged pores and nothing besides Accutane (isotretinoin) worked.  I wasted a lot of time and money with magical machines that had no hope of working.  I used Accutane twice in my 20's and 30's and was very pleased with the results.  Then there were all the lawsuits and it was nearly impossible to get.  Now, I am back on it again and loving the results.  My nose looks like a normal health patch of skin instead of hundreds of clogged dark pores.  My pores are smaller now and unclogged but had I been on low dose Accutane earlier I might have avoided the enlarged pores altogether.  I'm in my 50's now and plan to stay on a low dose of Accutane for as long as possible.  Start with the lowest possible dose (give it time - at least a month) see how you do.  If you are starting to get dry lips and tight, dry skin you are at a good level (in my experience) that the nose sebaceous glands will start slowing down.  No need to get really dry and cracked because you aren't trying to cure severe acne.  For me it took about a two months for the black dots to disappear and pores to shrink some.  Now at 4 months my skin looks great and the pores are empty of the dark gunk.  Listen to your doc and get all the testing.  Use spf 55 sun screen every day!  I use Neutrogena "Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock" spf 55 in the morning to moisturize and protect the skin all day.  For the lips I use Burts Bees lip balm and vaselene.  Don't (do not) scrub your face or you will regret it, and end up with a damaged area of skin that is both uncomfortable and unattractive.  I recommend washing only with your hands.  I only use Eucerin "Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser" on my face. If you really need to remove some dry skin or other, gently use a wash cloth but don't scrub. Overall, my skin looks the best it has in twenty years.  The routine and minor side effects are well worth the results in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users