Photo

Here We Go!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#21 Tiger 1

Tiger 1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

You had nodular acne? Dude please tell me the deal with these things. I look like I have marbles under my skin and I'm so scared of what accutane is going to do to them. Do they reabsorb? Or so they get gigantic and explode? Lol these are the scariest, I just don't understand what's going on under there! I've ha one for 3 months that is just getting really re now so I think it turned into a cyst, that one is not going to be pretty.

I had cystic acne as well with a nodule here and there. When I was taking accutane it seemed like the nodules just went down, didn't come the surface but the cysts did. I think taking the prednisone will help a lot. Have you ever had cortisone shots in any cysts or nodules? Before I was on accutane, I went to my derm a lot to get them and they helped me tremendously. They won't do them too much because they can backfire so I could only get them every three months or so.

And, yes, ipledge is a pain but I really didn't have as much trouble as everybody else. My derm was super good about doing her part before I left the office each time and my pharmacy was quick too.

That has been my problem with the shots. Before this derm I had another that told me to
Come in every couple of days to get shots and that she would take care of them. I think I'm worse because of her. This new derm makes me sign a form every time I get a shot, she actually flushes it out, the other one was obviously a wackjob and i wish I figured it out sooner. I am so glad to have people to talk about this! I've felt so alone and now I feel like I might just make it Posted Image

Yay, you are going to make it! :) It is a hard road, acne, isn't it? Accutane is a hard road too with lots of ups and downs but worth it in the end. I'm only a week post accutane so I'll be on that terrifying journey of hoping it works long term but I'm glad I did it. Not having a painful lump or lumps on my face or something sort of oozing wound is unbelievable! Acne always made a bad day ten times worse and now a bad day is just a bad day.

The cortisone shots are tricky. They are super helpful but you have to be so careful not to overdo them so you're new derm sounds like he/she is being smart about it. I never took prednisone but I do hear it is very helpful with controlling the kind of ib you may have so hopefully that will help you out. It might get tough but you'll get through it. I even went so far as to only turn on the lowest light in my bathroom each night when taking off my makeup. The bright light always made everything look so much worse and then I'd start picking at everything and it would end up disasterous. I still am just using the low light, I think it really helps me to keep my hands off my face although at the moment I have nothing to pick but I still have some rough dry spots that I have to be careful not to pick at. Right now the hardest part for you will be the waiting, it seems to take forever to get started! :)

#22 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Bad Day Posted Image Really having a hard time on this 30 day waiting period!
Yesterday two cysts I had ruptured so I had to gently squeeze the gook out, but today they're still swollen and now purple with blood pockets. I'm
always really good about only squeezing gently but this thing was so angry no matter what. Starting to wonder if accutane is going to work, I can
feel some tunnels starting in my cheeks and I'm so afraid to eat anything in case I make my skin more inflammed. I barely get new pimples, I literally just have the same cysts and nodules that I started when I broke out and theyre getting bigger. I really hope I only get better on accutane, and I'm really pissedI didn't just agree to it when this started. I'm gonna be fucked up looking when this is over...

Edited by ughhhhh, 05 November 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#23 Tiger 1

Tiger 1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Don't despair! The 30 day waiting period does suck! My cysts used to do that too, erupt in the same spots over and over. I think the pores just became damaged and therefore more prone to clogging. Do you like to eat on the healthy side? If so just keep loading up on fruits and veggies and whole grains and you should be fine and drink lots of water and maybe find something you like to do that soothes you or makes you feel less stressed out. I love to read so when I was obsessing about my skin, I'd lose myself in a good book. Of course you have a little one so I know that's easier said than done! :) Hang in there!!

#24 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

I definitely try to, no milk only 12 grain bread, lots of nuts an berries and I only drink water. Not great at the veggies though I think ill go make a salad. Researching daycares right now and its stressing me out!

#25 Tiger 1

Tiger 1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Awwww, I'm sure the thought of leaving your little sweetheart does stress you out. I tried the no dairy thing before I went on accutane and it didn't seem to make a difference for me. I did switch to organic milk, more for my family than myself as I don't drink that much milk but I love cheese! :) Good luck with the daycare search!

#26 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Well I'm two days in! Took my second dose tonight with a nice roast beef dinner nice and fatty :). They started me at 20mgs which I was hoping for 30 but whatever. Weigh 115 so I know I want to be on 60 ASAP. They did put me on a short course of mecadrone to calm all the inflammation already in my face. He said if it was just two or three cysts to inject her do that but since there are so many he recommended I do this for ten days. Here's hoping I look somewhat manageable for thanksgiving at least!
Also I was on levora but recently discovered that its highly androgenic. ( And looking into the past might have caused the only other bad cyst ive ever had? ive never been on bc for acne though used to be mild just persistent) I don't need to add to my problems so I'm switching to the nuvaring tomorrow which I've used before with no problems-- though I am very paranoid of what pregnancy has done to my body, permanently changed it or something. I developed dermagraphism, or skin writing, which means every time I get an itch it looks like my cat attacked me. Showers are the worst! I'm already moisturizing like crazy to avoid any itchiness. My mom had this for years after she had me. No acne though! -_-
No side effects, mild headache that could be anything. Flaking around a pimple I decided to stupidly spot treat so that won't be happening anymore. Also got a few more pimples, nothing noticeable to anyone but me. Must stop touching and examining face! My mood and day go much better the less I go to the bathroom. Went on a walk today with the babe and it was nice. Trying to do yoga or walking every day as well as lots of chamomile tea and green smoothies for lunch.
Supplements:
Milk thistle
B complex
Fish oil plus d
Zinc
C

Trying to see the brightness in everything!

Edited by ughhhhh, 20 November 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#27 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Trying to not be discouraged, the steroid hasn't done anything for my inflammation, I'm breaking out already, no side effects and I'm oilier than ever. I wish I started a higher dose. I am exhausted but a baby will do that...

#28 chloelauraa

chloelauraa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Just try to think of the end result!! In 6 months (or however long your course is) you'll be looking back at this totally clear and it'll all be worth it!

#29 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

I know just trying to stay positive and not look in the mirror! Got a lot bumpier on one cheek today, feels gross but you can't tell, face just looks awful might post pics but they're so gross to make myself look at...ugh doing it so I can hopefully laugh at this later..
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Edited by ughhhhh, 25 November 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#30 londoncat8

londoncat8

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

I didn't have time to read you entire post, but I just wanted to give you a recommendation. Please breastfeed your child! Breast milk is important for baby's to grow fully mature. Baby's who aren't breast fed are shown to have smaller brains and less brain power function. But it doesn't stop there. Breast milk gets its nutrients through the diet the mother is eating. For breast milk to be optimally nutritionally dense, you need a high omega-3 diet. 3-6 tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily is a good place to be. Also a good multi vitamin/mineral is important.

Motherhood is going to be an incredible and worthwhile journey for you! Your child doesn't care about your face it just wants to be nourished/loved by its parents. Yes acne sucks, but don't let it take away the joy of this short-lived life we all experience here on earth. I hope it all works out for your family - Best of luck.

Well I was not breast fed and I was never told my brain was smaller than anyone else's and I had less brain power function. I did finish a law school and later an art school with distinctions....hmmm less brain power, I do not think so.....

#31 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Right cheek is all inflamed, :( still oily though I drank a whole bottle of water overnight. Really pissed about the steroid they put me on, makes me moody and can't sleep and yet has done nothing for the lumps on my face. Should have just gotten the shots. My parents are coming to visit this week And I know it's going to be a lot of pity. I miss them so much but I hate seeing anyone looking like this. I'm turning into a hypochondriac, wondering if I need to get my hormone levels tested, if I have pcos. I have always had mild acne until now, even during pregnancy when I thought it was bad it wasn't really, this is just humiliating.

Edited by ughhhhh, 26 November 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#32 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Day 10 - really feeling like crap. Nauseous, have to kind of force myself to eat and feeling really anxious. Literally didn't sleep last night cause my mind was racing. Can't tell if it's the steroid or my bc or the accutane but I hate it. Picked at my face, great idea :\

#33 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hun, as everyone has said, this is a long process and you're gonna have to find a way to emotionally brace/occupy yourself. I am on the wall about taking steroids as they sometimes can backfire but its worth a try, especially if the inflammation is painful. Things will get worse before they get better but just remember to take things one day at a time.

Good Luck

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#34 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

I think oral steroids are the devil. at least if its injected you know something will happen! it brough down inflammation in only two cysts, better than nothing i guess. developed blisters between my hands, im guessing this is eczema. My palms are burning but luckily no itch. Using lubriderm cream constantly but with a baby I wash my hands like 40 times a day and its obvious the drying on my hands is going to drive me nuts. Hate steroid ointments so I'm roughing it out. Thinking of switching to taking my pill on themorning since it makes me anxious. Didn't take it today cause I was just too exhausted to deal with another night of no sleep with my family coming to visit tomorrow. Hope they don't go crazy trying to find me cures like the last time they saw me. My dad wants me to try skin detox tea but I dunno about adding a bunch more herbs to accutane? He can't help himself he's searching for the reason this happened as well. Thinking if visiting an endo, something just seems off about what's happened these last few months. Developed rare rash, which caused face to explode, severe anxiety diagnosed, I'm worried my adrenals or thyroid are wacked. Want to make sure I'm well enough to be on this drug without causing myself further issues.
Counted 25 actives. Some going down and getting that bumpy feeling on my nose. Go away blackheads!

#35 OnlyOptimism

OnlyOptimism

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

Give accutane some time, I think you'll be surprised with the results! It may be a long six months but it works! Look through the forums, some people that go on accutane have worse acne than you have... but it works for them! Keep your head up :)

But I agree, definitely make sure it's healthy for you to be on accutane!

#36 Waseem Abbas

Waseem Abbas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Yes give it time, i brokeout exactly like you are now... I had huge cysts and my acne went worse than ever in the first 3 weeks, it started to improve in 4th week when i was put on antibiotics by my derm and that was a good idea. You may want to ask your derm to put you on antibiotics for a very short time. I was on Azithromycin 250mg for only 15 days and i didnt stop taking accutane during that period. You should keep on telling yourself that it will get worse before it gets better.. stay positive and keep your fingers crossed. :)

Started Oratane 3rd October, 2012
-------------------------------------
Month 1 20mg/day
Month 2 40mg/day
Month 3 40mg/day
Month 4 40mg/day
Month 5 40mg/day
Month 6 40mg/day

#37 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Day 24 - Things are looking up - went to the derm to get some injections because some of the giant cysts were really bringing me down. Derm said I was making progress, that a lot of people break out way worse in the beginning, so I told him I was scared of breaking out more when we went up a dose and he said Nah (lies!). But my breaking out has been manageable, only a few crappy new cysts and then some little whiteheads. Unfortunately after the injections some of my skin looks pretty bruised from him squeezing the crap out :\ but they have definitely gone down. Hopefully the bruising goes away soon. My scars are more pink than purple and some of my large nodules are going down. When I feel my face when I wake up I'm less horrified every day so thats good! I'm only being put on 40mg next month which prolongs my treatment but my derm believes its the better way to go. Maybe pics on day 30.

#38 Brownilocks

Brownilocks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hey ughhhhh!
Wow! Finally someone who has acne almost exactly like mine! I totally get what you are saying about feeling so horrible and being at your wits end with this! I am a 29 y/o female and have VERY similar severe acne. Mine is a lot like yours in looks, but I have a lot more on my chin (sides and up around mouth) and forehead and less on my cheeks. It is as you describe, i.e. it leaks, feels like marbles under the skin, and tunnels together in tracts. Its pustular and crusty and gets that purplish-red tinge. I am 110 lbs and on 60mg/day of accutane. Today is day 14 and I'm seeing very, very slow progress. I definetely had an IB around the end of week 1/beginning of week 2. Just more cysts coming up that were small or not there before and new pustules. Its been itchy some and throbbing/burning. The last couple days have been a bit better. Its a little less red and some of the cysts have come to heads and drained and seem to be flattening out a bit. I'm still getting new ones though, just hoping they don't get as bad as the other ones.... It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in having such severe nodular acne! It sucks so bad and people who don't have it or don't have it as bad just don't get it. Severe acne can't even be covered up with makeup... It's life-changing and debilitating in my opinion... Anyways, I am sooo glad to see you are making some progress!! Gives people like me some hope! Posted Image When did you start notice it changing a bit for the better? Just recently or has it been more of a process? Are the injections working well for you? I had some about 2 weeks before I started and of the 8 injected, it only really got rid of one... The others got less inflammed for awhile like you said, but they came back. Posted Image Debating whether I should have more injected at my 1 month check-up or not... Looking forward to seeing your progress around day 30! I haven't had the courage to post any pics as of yet... Hope you continue to do better as time passes and that we can both get over this and have beautiful skin once and for all!! Posted Image The thought of a change to the way my face feels in a couple weeks like you described is inspiring and has me hopeful! Fingers crossed!!! Posted Image

Edited by Brownilocks, 13 December 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#39 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

If you can find the courage please do post pics! i hope to see my dramatic progress through here. felt so alone on this board, everyone just wants to get rid of their 'normal' acne. I had normal pimples until late August, can only be described as severe stress plus crazy hormone changes :/ do you know what caused yours? I never thought I'd be on accutane, I used to say if never take it no matter how bad my acne got, when I used to complain about a few zits! I really hope we make it to the other side back to normal. Scars I can handle I think, once my battle is won. Right now I'm trying to not freak out about hair loss, around this time after birth it's normal to lose a lot and I am so I don't know if its my hormones or the accutane! But otherwise I've had no side effects so I am trying to tell myself it's just the hormones...

#40 Brownilocks

Brownilocks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Same here, never wanted accutane and tried to avoid it. I did stay off of it for a while, too. 5 1/2 years of 90-100% clear skin with topicals (tazorac)! Then it came back this September worse than ever.... I don't have kids yet (the whole reason I've waited is because of the strong acne meds, even topicals, which cause birth defects), so mine did not stem from that, but my doc still says its a hormonal connection. She thinks that stress is also a big factor and of course genetics. I had been REALLY stressing and anxious right before this breakout came on strong. Genetically, I got the oily skin from my mom's skin and the sensitive skin from my dad's so I guess when the two combined, PRESTO, only person in the family with severe acne... My parents and sisters have perfect skin. My teenage sister doesn't even take off her makeup at night and rarely gets zits. Seriously? I do everything by the book religiously and look like this? Shouldn't she be dealing with this at her age and not me at 29? Anyways, getting off track and just venting a bit, lol!

Neither my derm nor I buy the diet/exercise thing that some people on here try to push. I've been doing both for years so why is my skin bad again? People on here who play that BS game must have mild acne to begin with if it really works. Believe me, I've TRIED it!! For some reason when I or others say that it falls on deaf ears. The whole "anyone can cure their acne naturally no matter how severe it is," "you must want to poison yourself if you are willing to take accutane," "acne is an internal problem not a skin problem," load of crap really ticks me off. Don't treat me like a child. I don't WANT to take accutane. Like you said, I never did. I cried when I found out I had to, but I've come around to embracing it now. This site really helps with that cause there are a lot more helpful, encouraging users out there than predatory ones! None of us went out begging to get on accutane. Wish I hadn't put it off for fear of it and tried useless stuff as long as I did or I might be clear by now! Oh well, I'm doing good right now (though no change much in my lesions yet) and look forward to my skin making some progress in the next few weeks and months! Good luck girl! Glad we all have each other for support in battling this crazy stuff!!