59 replies to this topic

#41 BlueMoon3

BlueMoon3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your side effects, Livetoregret. I'm a little confused, were you put on Accutane for an entire 12 months on 40mg? Wishing you all the best and get well soon.

#42 mes6890

mes6890

Margaret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reader of acne.org since 2008. Things I have tried include antibiotics, most of the topicals (in high school before the cystic acne began in college), blue light therapy, spironolactone, saw palmetto, Obagi, and, of course, optimizing my diet. Most recently I tried Accutane, which was short lived because of the psychological and skin-thinning side effects. I wanted clear skin desperately, but I wish I'd heeded the horror stories. Accutane was the biggest mistake of my life.

I also post things on occasion to warn folks of the potential dangers of taking saw palmetto and other DHT inhibitors, based on personal experience and the mounting testimonials of others.

Achievements

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I took less than a week's worth of Accutane and developed persistent psychological and physical side effects. I am still trying to make it one day at a time and am so sorry you are also going through this pain. I had no idea I could even feel this much pain. None of us should have to go through this. The regret is almost as painful as the rest of it... Best of luck to you, and you're always welcome to PM me, although I can't promise I'll be an uplifting spirit. I can try

Life with Accutane side effects: http://bloggingmybet....wordpress.com/

#43 What1f

What1f

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

My entire body is dehydrating from the inside out.
12 month course of 60:40. Ive been overdosed.
My hair is worse than a troll dolls and much thinner,
My skin is destroyed, Im 31 and have my whole life ahead...but I cant live this way.
I want my Sebum back.

I am desperate for a way out. Please help me.

Im honestly the exact same person as you except that i experienced many side effects while on accutane and that led to my eventual stop of the drug before my course was supposed to be finished. The only difference is that while you are worried at 31, ive only just turned 21. I have fine lines forming all over my face, Im italian and all of a sudden this past year my skin has become super sun sensitive like that of someone with pale pale skin and freckles. My eyes too burn more than i can handle and my face and eyes are sunken in. My eyes are pale they are so thin and sunken. My once thick thick head of hair is ridiculous. Honestly when i think back to what i had i cant bare the thought. Of course people on here will tell you that you are crazy because the majority of them had either an excellent experience with the drug or have not even taken it.

People too tell me that i still look good, but even if i did, its not myself and i think that is what eats at us. Imagine how much better looking that person would think that i was if i had never taken accutane. If i still had thick hair and plump skin. If my body and hands weren't red and blotchy, and i could enjoy the summers just like everyone else. 

Ive been to probably over 10 different doctors this past year and im searching for anything and everything possible that this could be. I do strongly believe that Accutane being a vitamin a analogue strongly affects the homeostasis of your body and if youd want to hear more about what i think about that i guess you could email me. It is terrible though I can barely stand the life that I now live let alone the life that has yet to come. What if accutane was never invented, what if i knew now what i know then. "What if" is a terrible world to live in, but i cant help but think of how drastically different my entire life would have been..

Goodluck with everything. I too am pursuing a lawsuit against accutane. Well i was prescibed a generic form but nonetheless. 

Lastly, while i think most of it is just attributable to accutane and the many effects that it has on the body. There could be something systemically wrong with you. I would look into bowel or intestinal problems such as celiac, SIBO etc..

#44 mes6890

mes6890

Margaret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reader of acne.org since 2008. Things I have tried include antibiotics, most of the topicals (in high school before the cystic acne began in college), blue light therapy, spironolactone, saw palmetto, Obagi, and, of course, optimizing my diet. Most recently I tried Accutane, which was short lived because of the psychological and skin-thinning side effects. I wanted clear skin desperately, but I wish I'd heeded the horror stories. Accutane was the biggest mistake of my life.

I also post things on occasion to warn folks of the potential dangers of taking saw palmetto and other DHT inhibitors, based on personal experience and the mounting testimonials of others.

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

My skin is destroyed, Im 31 and have my whole life ahead...but I cant live this way.
I want my Sebum back.

Im honestly the exact same person as you except that i experienced many side effects while on accutane and that led to my eventual stop of the drug before my course was supposed to be finished. The only difference is that while you are worried at 31, ive only just turned 21. I have fine lines forming all over my face, Im italian and all of a sudden this past year my skin has become super sun sensitive like that of someone with pale pale skin and freckles. My eyes too burn more than i can handle and my face and eyes are sunken in. My eyes are pale they are so thin and sunken. My once thick thick head of hair is ridiculous. Honestly when i think back to what i had i cant bare the thought. Of course people on here will tell you that you are crazy because the majority of them had either an excellent experience with the drug or have not even taken it.

People too tell me that i still look good, but even if i did, its not myself and i think that is what eats at us. Imagine how much better looking that person would think that i was if i had never taken accutane. If i still had thick hair and plump skin. If my body and hands weren't red and blotchy, and i could enjoy the summers just like everyone else. 

Ive been to probably over 10 different doctors this past year and im searching for anything and everything possible that this could be. I do strongly believe that Accutane being a vitamin a analogue strongly affects the homeostasis of your body and if youd want to hear more about what i think about that i guess you could email me. It is terrible though I can barely stand the life that I now live let alone the life that has yet to come. What if accutane was never invented, what if i knew now what i know then. "What if" is a terrible world to live in, but i cant help but think of how drastically different my entire life would have been..

Goodluck with everything. I too am pursuing a lawsuit against accutane. Well i was prescibed a generic form but nonetheless. 

Lastly, while i think most of it is just attributable to accutane and the many effects that it has on the body. There could be something systemically wrong with you. I would look into bowel or intestinal problems such as celiac, SIBO etc..

So sorry to hear about this. I identify with several of the things you describe. I took Accutane for five days and it caused my thin to continuously thin (here I am at 5+ months later) as if it is eating itself. So I've definitely got fine lines coming in and all of the skin around my eyes is thin and pathetic. It has eaten up my eyelids. You described your eyes burning - mine have at times felt raw simply because I'm always losing skin there.

Do you feel you look aged and different, especially to yourself? This is true for me, especially because of the lost eye skin and the eventual loss of some of the "volume" in my face (something I never even thought about until all of this).

Is this what has happened to you? I would like to know if we're experiencing the same dreadful skin thinning side effect.

#45 elkhoundgold

elkhoundgold

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:So many...where do I start? D=

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

For the people with thin skin: is there any way you can send a pic of it abd such like before/after? Because i don't notice a difference in livetoregret except that she isn't wearing tons of make up

#46 What1f

What1f

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

I want my Sebum back.

So sorry to hear about this. I identify with several of the things you describe. I took Accutane for five days and it caused my thin to continuously thin (here I am at 5+ months later) as if it is eating itself. So I've definitely got fine lines coming in and all of the skin around my eyes is thin and pathetic. It has eaten up my eyelids. You described your eyes burning - mine have at times felt raw simply because I'm always losing skin there.

Do you feel you look aged and different, especially to yourself? This is true for me, especially because of the lost eye skin and the eventual loss of some of the "volume" in my face (something I never even thought about until all of this).

Is this what has happened to you? I would like to know if we're experiencing the same dreadful skin thinning side effect.

I want my Sebum back.

Yea my skin around my eyes is terrible. Every year it has gotten worse. Im only 21 and my skin looks like someone in their early 40s. I cant stand it. I was just normal before, I should have never been prescribed accutane. I should have never went to a dermatologist. Its terrible that there is such "super" companies (Big Pharma) that can bypass morals and loophole their way through the judicial system. They are literally destroying peoples lives. I have read so much into effects of retinoic acid and vitamin a overdose it is ridiculous. But yeah, I hope your skin gets better. Mine never did..

#47 mes6890

mes6890

Margaret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

For those who've asked for before and after skin pictures...it's hard to demonstrate in photos. It's been six months for me, and to someone who isn't me it is subtle if not entirely unnoticeable. But I notice it by the week. It's just unnaturally rapid aging. I've got some folds in my hands I never had before this and I can feel that my eyelids and earlobes are extremely thin. My earlobes have been getting thinner since I took five 20 mg pills of Accutane in July. I have a ring that is a little looser. I can feel the bone structure in my face more simply because there is less padding. Those examples really are more compelling than any pictures I can share. In any case, more wrinkling is sure to follow.

Unless you've got disfiguring acne (and even then, proceed with caution....I don't know what to say for the most extreme cases), stay away from this shit. I was a lot prettier before I took the five pills. Your dermatologist will tell you that you'll be under close supervision and to call the office if you encounter any problems. Well, I called the derm's office five days in, and after five days it was too late.

Edited by mes6890, 10 January 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#48 elkhoundgold

elkhoundgold

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:So many...where do I start? D=

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

For those who've asked for before and after skin pictures...it's hard to demonstrate in photos. It's been six months for me, and to someone who isn't me it is subtle if not entirely unnoticeable. But I notice it by the week. It's just unnaturally rapid aging. I've got some folds in my hands I never had before this and I can feel that my eyelids and earlobes are extremely thin. My earlobes have been getting thinner since I took five 20 mg pills of Accutane in July. I have a ring that is a little looser. I can feel the bone structure in my face more simply because there is less padding. Those examples really are more compelling than any pictures I can share. In any case, more wrinkling is sure to follow.

Unless you've got disfiguring acne (and even then, proceed with caution....I don't know what to say for the most extreme cases), stay away from this shit. I was a lot prettier before I took the five pills. Your dermatologist will tell you that you'll be under close supervision and to call the office if you encounter any problems. Well, I called the derm's office five days in, and after five days it was too late.

If we can't see it I think it's just causing you an unnecessary amount of stress. I mean a lot of us people with acne have body dysmorphic disorder already so any tiny change seems extreme. I know that's the case for me. I mean,  forgive my skepticism...I can see Accutane causing damage over months but five days?? Are you sure you just aren't panicked from the horror stories? For example I complain to people around me about so and so flaw, but then nobody notices it but me...which tells me it's quite minor to non existent....

#49 mes6890

mes6890

Margaret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

If we can't see it I think it's just causing you an unnecessary amount of stress. I mean a lot of us people with acne have body dysmorphic disorder already so any tiny change seems extreme. I know that's the case for me. I mean,  forgive my skepticism...I can see Accutane causing damage over months but five days?? Are you sure you just aren't panicked from the horror stories? For example I complain to people around me about so and so flaw, but then nobody notices it but me...which tells me it's quite minor to non existent....

All I can say is I wish it were in my head. Actually half the fun of dealing with Accutane side effects, I've come to learn, is listening to skepticism.

Panicked from horror stories? The past six months of my freaking life have been a horror story. My parents almost had to put me in a mental hospital and I almost had to take medical leave off work from a good job. I guess this thread is about skin, however my disappearing skin is but one of the side effects I've experienced.

It's worth noting that there are other people on this forum who have suffered persistent side effects from taking Accutane for days and weeks instead of months. A med student in England, Jon Medland, hanged himself after taking it for 3.5 weeks. All that said, I do think it's rare to react so swiftly and severely after five days. But it's tough to say - there is absolutely no way to know how your body is predisposed to react.

Agree that having acne can really distort our body image. Acne was no fun to live with at all. But guess what, I took Accutane for days - not months - and I have had an 85% reduction in oil and acne for six months now. If no other example I give is compelling, maybe that one is.

Edited by mes6890, 13 January 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#50 mes6890

mes6890

Margaret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

I don't mean to be rude...the disbelief is just difficult. I wish everyone on this thread improved if not clear skin and good health.

#51 Nicolacat

Nicolacat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading. Cycling/walking. Films

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

I don't mean be rude  but your earlobes are getting thinner after 5 doses of accutane?? Come on..really? I honestly think there is some dysmorphia thing going on here. Please see a doctor. You are a beautiful girl and the problems you are obsessing about are nothing!! Folds in hands? I nearly died a few years ago. I had no choice but to be pumped full of drugs - to stay alive! I lost hair, a vast amount of weight and aged overnight. I recovered and my hair and body recovered. Part of that recovery was staying postive and not obsessing about my 'looks'.It sounds like you are hanging your hat for all your issues on the 5 doses of accutane you took. It is not normal or healthy to be checking the thinness of your earlobes. I aren't for a minute saying there aren't people who haven't had side effects from accutane but I really don't think you are one of them. I think you need to see a doctor and to get on with life and to keep away from accutane stories for your own wellbeing and mental health.God bless.xxx

#52 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Everything! Seriously.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Yeah...Here's the thing, stress? It ages us. You know what is SUPER stressful? Acne. Dealing with Acne. Dealing with being unhappy about how we look, dealing with it every time we look in the mirror. That stuff is STRESSFUL. Not to mention worrying about medication side-effects, dealing with doctors, insurance companies, the regulatory systems, BLAH! I HATE it when people tell me that stressing about things makes my skin worse - but I have to acknowledge that this statement, as annoying and frustrating as it might be, is backed up by science - at least when it comes to aging. It sounds like the poster here and a few other people who report on how accutane has ruined there life through extreme side-effects need to consider that acne is a traumatic experience that can cause EXTREME stress in many people. Our systems become flooded with cortisol in response to that stress. Increased levels of cortisol in our system in the short-term is necessary for a healthy Fight-or-Flight response to acute stressors (like jumping out of the way of a car) but in the long-term it wreaks havoc on the immune-system, the metabolism, cardiovascular health, and DEFINITELY the aging process. 

I say all this for one reason: Yes, Accutane comes with serious *potential* side-effects. But stress can kill, and stress *definitely* ages us. Look to what is definite in the cause of your health problems and perceived aging before you fall into a fear-spiral. Unless there is something else very wrong with how you process chemicals in your body, I bet it is more likely to cause long-term damage by taking a couple of tylenol after a night of drinking than by taking 20mgs of accutane for 5 days. 

Edited by megtree, 17 January 2014 - 04:04 PM.

My Accutane log (with pictures):

http://www.acne.org/...r-accutane-log/

26 y/o female- approx. 54kg
Absorica -40 mg, 1 daily, December 26, 2013 - February, 25, 2014

Absorica - 60 mg, 1 daily. February 26, 2014 -
Probiotic - 1 daily
Fish oil supplement w/ vit D - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Food Grade Rose water - Toner

La Roche Posay Mineral Water Spray
Vichy 50+ Capital Soleil Cream for Sensitive Skin

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

Food grade Rose Water - Toner

La Roche Posay Mineral Water Spray
Aveeno Positively Radiant intensive night cream

Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion- PM

Cerave Moisturizing cream
Avene Cicalfate (as needed)

#53 mes6890

mes6890

Margaret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Haha. You have no idea what you're talking about. You have no idea what would come out of your mouth if you went through what I've been through for the past six months. Real simple. And you don't have to tell me how much acne sucks - I obviously have a point of reference seeing as I felt it was time to pull the trigger on Accutane after eight years of deliberation. Let's move on from that.

Also noticing that your earlobes have thinned out as well as your eyelids? Honey, good luck attributing that to stress.

I only wish to give people a real example of what *could* happen from a mere 200 milligrams.

Edited by mes6890, 17 January 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#54 Dubya_B

Dubya_B

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

For the sake of keeping things simple enough for some posters to understand, it sounds as if you had an allergic reaction to the drug.

Like Megtree said, some people have trouble processing certain chemicals in their body. Accutane must be one of those chemicals for you.

It is good to know there is a supportive community here to question your mental stability because of an unfortunate adverse reaction.

Ain't life grand!?

All the best.

Do your part to raise awareness:

Report side effects:

Rxisk
https://www.rxisk.or...ects/About.aspx
FDA
https://www.accessda...umer.reporting1
NHS
http://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
Roche
http://www.roche.co....k/xxxcontactxxx

If you believe you suffer from the condition known as PFS as a result of Accutane, please donate to the PFS Foundation:

http://www.pfsfoundation.org/

#55 Nicolacat

Nicolacat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading. Cycling/walking. Films

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

For the sake of keeping things simple enough for some posters to understand, it sounds as if you had an allergic reaction to the drug.

Like Megtree said, some people have trouble processing certain chemicals in their body. Accutane must be one of those chemicals for you.

It is good to know there is a supportive community here to question your mental stability because of an unfortunate adverse reaction.

Ain't life grand!?

All the best.

This is why I suggested she see a doctor. Nobody on a forum can say what the problem is, it could be mental, it could be physical, it could be something else the poster has taken or using? All I am saying when I see someone talking about their earlobes getting thinner because of 5 doses of accutane -alarm bells ring? If a person said I have only drank 2 pints of lager and now I have hepatitis of the liver...we would have trouble acknowledging that was the cause, if they said I have been drinking heavily for the last twenty years, well yeah maybe that was the problem. There is something else going on here. The main thing is the poor girl is very unhappy and that is not good so she needs to get help. I mentioned dysmorphia because it seems very common in people with acne and after mentioning the earlobes thinning.. well I can't imagine why anyone would even know that they were?? That is obsessing. But you are right I don't know its that anymore than you know if it is an allergic response to accutane. Its worth mentioning that things go wrong with the body anyway. As mentioned previously I was seriously ill pre accutane and had to have a kidney removed, no doubt that if that had happened after accutane I would be questioning if that was the cause? Its human nature to look for something to blame.

#56 nignog

nignog

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Military

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

No one to blame but yourself for swallowing the pills every day, go see a physiologist and talk about your (Mental) problems.

#57 SClippers

SClippers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'm proof that there's life after tane. I hope you all the best and I'd be open to hearing you out if that's what you feel you need smile.png

Edited by SClippers, 22 January 2014 - 06:26 PM.

I still have a soul

#58 What1f

What1f

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

No one to blame but yourself for swallowing the pills every day, go see a physiologist and talk about your (Mental) problems.

Yea youre right. Cant blame the misleading doctors or roche for creating something so horrific. Something that they dont even understand. You think that people would take accutane if they were truly told what it could do, or even for the serious level of acne that it IS meant for. It should be outlawed. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies alike should face penalties ruining peoples lives beyond recovery

Edited by What1f, 30 January 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#59 mes6890

mes6890

Margaret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thank you what1f. Again, I wouldn't wish this on a soul, but I take solace in knowing with 100% confidence that all of the naysayers on here would change their tune if they could switch places with me.

I've said it before on here, but apparently it needs repeating - I take responsibility for taking Accutane, but it never should have been available to me.

I stopped taking it after five days, during which time side effects came on swiftly. I acknowledge that this kind of a reaction is rare.

So yes, I took it for five days after holding out on the drug for years and enduring aggravating skin and spending thousands on futile treatments. And yes, pulling the trigger on Accutane was a life-altering mistake. All I can do is hope that when I die, I am reborn and I am as perfect as "nignnog." In the meantime, I'll seek help from psychiatrists per your suggestion and run into brick wall after brick wall until I find a doctor who is well versed on some of the available studies on isotretinoin. And then that doctor will tell me what Accutane victims already know, which is that a "cure" for some of these varied side effects does not yet exist.

Don't worry, nignog, I blame myself. But there is plenty of blame to go around. Suppose I blame you for your ignorance of science and history.

That's all I have to say. I am sorry to everyone that safer acne treatments do not exist. Dermatologists' complacency with chemotherapy drugs and long-term antibiotics is lamentable. 

Edited by mes6890, 29 January 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#60 Accutainted

Accutainted

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:40 AM

I suffer from agonisingly chronic dryness and inflammation caused my accutane. The worst affected areas are around my mouth and nose, eyes, lips and scalp. Accutane gave me severe seborrheic derm on my scalp, it's constantly dry, greasy and flaky. My eye lids and lips are constantly are becoming inflamed. Like a previous poster said you can't easily these things in pictures but it is absolutely demoralising to experience these problems day in day out. I have been putting up with these problems for 8 years with no end in sight. The worst part of all this is I only had mild/moderate acne. I should not have been allowed to take such a dangerous poison, I had little to gain and everything to lose. Accutane is an incredible regulatory failure and should only be used by people with severe cystic acne. Accutane has not only ruined my skin but it has also caused severe joint and muscle problems, sexual problems and intestinal issues. Please don't let accutane ruin your life like it has mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users