Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Severe Side Effects Have Left Me Suicidal

60 posts in this topic

For those who've asked for before and after skin pictures...it's hard to demonstrate in photos. It's been six months for me, and to someone who isn't me it is subtle if not entirely unnoticeable. But I notice it by the week. It's just unnaturally rapid aging. I've got some folds in my hands I never had before this and I can feel that my eyelids and earlobes are extremely thin. My earlobes have been getting thinner since I took five 20 mg pills of Accutane in July. I have a ring that is a little looser. I can feel the bone structure in my face more simply because there is less padding. Those examples really are more compelling than any pictures I can share. In any case, more wrinkling is sure to follow.

Unless you've got disfiguring acne (and even then, proceed with caution....I don't know what to say for the most extreme cases), stay away from this shit. I was a lot prettier before I took the five pills. Your dermatologist will tell you that you'll be under close supervision and to call the office if you encounter any problems. Well, I called the derm's office five days in, and after five days it was too late.

I don't mean be rude but your earlobes are getting thinner after 5 doses of accutane?? Come on..really? I honestly think there is some dysmorphia thing going on here. Please see a doctor. You are a beautiful girl and the problems you are obsessing about are nothing!! Folds in hands? I nearly died a few years ago. I had no choice but to be pumped full of drugs - to stay alive! I lost hair, a vast amount of weight and aged overnight. I recovered and my hair and body recovered. Part of that recovery was staying postive and not obsessing about my 'looks'.It sounds like you are hanging your hat for all your issues on the 5 doses of accutane you took. It is not normal or healthy to be checking the thinness of your earlobes. I aren't for a minute saying there aren't people who haven't had side effects from accutane but I really don't think you are one of them. I think you need to see a doctor and to get on with life and to keep away from accutane stories for your own wellbeing and mental health.God bless.xxx

1 person likes this

Yeah...Here's the thing, stress? It ages us. You know what is SUPER stressful? Acne. Dealing with Acne. Dealing with being unhappy about how we look, dealing with it every time we look in the mirror. That stuff is STRESSFUL. Not to mention worrying about medication side-effects, dealing with doctors, insurance companies, the regulatory systems, BLAH! I HATE it when people tell me that stressing about things makes my skin worse - but I have to acknowledge that this statement, as annoying and frustrating as it might be, is backed up by science - at least when it comes to aging. It sounds like the poster here and a few other people who report on how accutane has ruined there life through extreme side-effects need to consider that acne is a traumatic experience that can cause EXTREME stress in many people. Our systems become flooded with cortisol in response to that stress. Increased levels of cortisol in our system in the short-term is necessary for a healthy Fight-or-Flight response to acute stressors (like jumping out of the way of a car) but in the long-term it wreaks havoc on the immune-system, the metabolism, cardiovascular health, and DEFINITELY the aging process.

I say all this for one reason: Yes, Accutane comes with serious *potential* side-effects. But stress can kill, and stress *definitely* ages us. Look to what is definite in the cause of your health problems and perceived aging before you fall into a fear-spiral. Unless there is something else very wrong with how you process chemicals in your body, I bet it is more likely to cause long-term damage by taking a couple of tylenol after a night of drinking than by taking 20mgs of accutane for 5 days.

2 people like this

My Accutane log (with pictures): Holy Isotretinoin Batman It's another Accutane Log!

26 y/o female- approx. 54kg

Absorica -40 mg, 1 daily, December 26, 2013 - February, 25, 2014

Absorica - 60 mg, 1 daily. February 26, 2014 - July 6th 

Probiotic - 1 daily

Fish oil supplement w/ vit D - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Food Grade Rose water - Toner

La Roche Posay Mineral Water Spray

Vichy 50+ Capital Soleil Cream for Sensitive Skin

Night:

Cetaphil Cleanser

Food grade Rose Water - Toner

Ziana (tretinoin/clinda combo) August, 2014 - Current

La Roche Posay Mineral Water Spray

Aveeno Positively Radiant intensive night cream

Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion- PM

Avene Cicalfate (as needed)

Haha. You have no idea what you're talking about. You have no idea what would come out of your mouth if you went through what I've been through for the past six months. Real simple. And you don't have to tell me how much acne sucks - I obviously have a point of reference seeing as I felt it was time to pull the trigger on Accutane after eight years of deliberation. Let's move on from that.

Also noticing that your earlobes have thinned out as well as your eyelids? Honey, good luck attributing that to stress.

I only wish to give people a real example of what *could* happen from a mere 200 milligrams.

1 person likes this

Life with Accutane side effects: http://bloggingmybetterment.wordpress.com/

For the sake of keeping things simple enough for some posters to understand, it sounds as if you had an allergic reaction to the drug.

Like Megtree said, some people have trouble processing certain chemicals in their body. Accutane must be one of those chemicals for you.

It is good to know there is a supportive community here to question your mental stability because of an unfortunate adverse reaction.

Ain't life grand!?

All the best.

Don't be part of the problem!
Report your side effects through the following links:
Rxisk
https://www.rxisk.or...ects/About.aspx
FDA
https://www.accessda...umer.reporting1
NHS
http://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
Roche
http://www.roche.co....k/xxxcontactxxx

For the sake of keeping things simple enough for some posters to understand, it sounds as if you had an allergic reaction to the drug.

Like Megtree said, some people have trouble processing certain chemicals in their body. Accutane must be one of those chemicals for you.

It is good to know there is a supportive community here to question your mental stability because of an unfortunate adverse reaction.

Ain't life grand!?

All the best.

This is why I suggested she see a doctor. Nobody on a forum can say what the problem is, it could be mental, it could be physical, it could be something else the poster has taken or using? All I am saying when I see someone talking about their earlobes getting thinner because of 5 doses of accutane -alarm bells ring? If a person said I have only drank 2 pints of lager and now I have hepatitis of the liver...we would have trouble acknowledging that was the cause, if they said I have been drinking heavily for the last twenty years, well yeah maybe that was the problem. There is something else going on here. The main thing is the poor girl is very unhappy and that is not good so she needs to get help. I mentioned dysmorphia because it seems very common in people with acne and after mentioning the earlobes thinning.. well I can't imagine why anyone would even know that they were?? That is obsessing. But you are right I don't know its that anymore than you know if it is an allergic response to accutane. Its worth mentioning that things go wrong with the body anyway. As mentioned previously I was seriously ill pre accutane and had to have a kidney removed, no doubt that if that had happened after accutane I would be questioning if that was the cause? Its human nature to look for something to blame.

1 person likes this

No one to blame but yourself for swallowing the pills every day, go see a physiologist and talk about your (Mental) problems.

I'm proof that there's life after tane. I hope you all the best and I'd be open to hearing you out if that's what you feel you need smile.png

2 people like this

I still have a soul

No one to blame but yourself for swallowing the pills every day, go see a physiologist and talk about your (Mental) problems.

Yea youre right. Cant blame the misleading doctors or roche for creating something so horrific. Something that they dont even understand. You think that people would take accutane if they were truly told what it could do, or even for the serious level of acne that it IS meant for. It should be outlawed. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies alike should face penalties ruining peoples lives beyond recovery

2 people like this

Thank you what1f. Again, I wouldn't wish this on a soul, but I take solace in knowing with 100% confidence that all of the naysayers on here would change their tune if they could switch places with me.

I've said it before on here, but apparently it needs repeating - I take responsibility for taking Accutane, but it never should have been available to me.

I stopped taking it after five days, during which time side effects came on swiftly. I acknowledge that this kind of a reaction is rare.

So yes, I took it for five days after holding out on the drug for years and enduring aggravating skin and spending thousands on futile treatments. And yes, pulling the trigger on Accutane was a life-altering mistake. All I can do is hope that when I die, I am reborn and I am as perfect as "nignnog." In the meantime, I'll seek help from psychiatrists per your suggestion and run into brick wall after brick wall until I find a doctor who is well versed on some of the available studies on isotretinoin. And then that doctor will tell me what Accutane victims already know, which is that a "cure" for some of these varied side effects does not yet exist.

Don't worry, nignog, I blame myself. But there is plenty of blame to go around. Suppose I blame you for your ignorance of science and history.

That's all I have to say. I am sorry to everyone that safer acne treatments do not exist. Dermatologists' complacency with chemotherapy drugs and long-term antibiotics is lamentable.

1 person likes this

Life with Accutane side effects: http://bloggingmybetterment.wordpress.com/

I suffer from agonisingly chronic dryness and inflammation caused my accutane. The worst affected areas are around my mouth and nose, eyes, lips and scalp. Accutane gave me severe seborrheic derm on my scalp, it's constantly dry, greasy and flaky. My eye lids and lips are constantly are becoming inflamed. Like a previous poster said you can't easily these things in pictures but it is absolutely demoralising to experience these problems day in day out. I have been putting up with these problems for 8 years with no end in sight. The worst part of all this is I only had mild/moderate acne. I should not have been allowed to take such a dangerous poison, I had little to gain and everything to lose. Accutane is an incredible regulatory failure and should only be used by people with severe cystic acne. Accutane has not only ruined my skin but it has also caused severe joint and muscle problems, sexual problems and intestinal issues. Please don't let accutane ruin your life like it has mine.