Photo

Please Help - Rash That Wont Go Away

steroid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#21 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Alright so the cleanser I have Is called eclos "age defying" cleanser. I picked it cuz when I was in shoppers drugs mart it was the only one without sls! It says plant stem cells on the front and it's a white bottle from the Swiss. Doesn't aggregate our "condition" lol and my face is ok I guess, all the spots on my forehead are pretty flat but in always scared they gonna spawn elsewere lol. But that happened to me! One day I woke up and they where around my nose! I think this condition is like acne.. Like accutane. It takes a few months to work, and in the mean time, you still get a few here and there. Now it's been almost 2 months since it first came on m face. If I do get new bumps, they don't last long maybe a few days around my lower face. So don't give up! I think both of us had a severe case cuz mine was literally all over my face at one point lol but I think its from the steroid cream I used. That's good y

**good you are seeing a different doctor. Lol sorry my iPhone keeps actin up. I went thru about 4 before I found one who knew what they where doing! I keep telling myself 2 months from now I won't even remember I ever had this! And I also noticed when I don't stress 24 7 about this (which is soo hard cuz t has like ruined my life lol) my face doesn't get new spots. Ugh! This sucks lol

Oh, and did your doctor do a skin sample? My mom keeps wondering why. No doctors do it to determine what it REALLY is.

#22 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

thank you so very much! i really appreciate it and your kind words. you are the only one that understands what i am going through! yeah i am glad to go to a different doctor and get checked out because i need to know what is causing this incase its not what i thought it was ya know? now the first derm i saw did do a sample because they thought it was demodex but the sample came back negative and she just said it was contact dermatitis. now this derm said it is an acneiform eruption meaning its a mix of the contact dermatitis and some sort of yeast thing which is guess is folliculitis. grr!! so i hope the doctor tomorrow can figure something out but in the meantime i guess its 200mg of doxy and nizoral it is. i am just so nervous using this stuff because everything seems to make things worse ya know?

#23 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Yeah no kidding! It's soo frustrating.. I had 3 doctors all try n give me steroid cream. Which is what I got this from in the first place. And yeah my original doctor told me it was contact Dematitis but I had done my research already lol but yeah i can't wait for this to be over :(
Miss my face looking normal!!!

#24 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Yeah no kidding! It's soo frustrating.. I had 3 doctors all try n give me steroid cream. Which is what I got this from in the first place. And yeah my original doctor told me it was contact Dematitis but I had done my research already lol but yeah i can't wait for this to be over Posted Image
Miss my face looking normal!!!

heck yeah it is frustrating for sure! the only reason i decided to give the steroid cream a shot is because the areas are so red but obviously its not working so i am done with that but yeah this is all so awful. i miss my normal looking face too. its amazing how much you take for granted. i never thought anything could be worse than acne. i told my hubby last night at least with acne i can put some bp on it and it will go down in a few days or if its a cyst i can get it injected but for this crap its like you cant do anything to make it go away which makes it all the more frustrating!

Edited by tracy521, 30 October 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#25 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

http://i131.photobuc...0E348E0ECF3.jpg that's a pic of how red it was in the beginning. Sorta like that?

And yes I agree with you.. Atlesst with acne you don't think it's gonna spread overnight! And
There is stuff like accutane worst case. n when you see a pimple you know what it is and how to treat it. The worst feeling I had was when the doctors kept giving me the wrong stuff and I knew it! Ugh lol

#26 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

yeah my face is red like that. i am sending you a pic. i wont send you one of my nose cuz its gross but you get the idea. yeah i hear ya there with acne it doesnt spread like that. shit i used to complain about a few zits. i wont do that anymore once this goes away. i am afraid to use this nizoral stuff but i think i am going to try it on my nose area and a few other places to see how it goes before i use it on my entire face ya know? i am so paranoid at this point to try anything! you know when i was at the derm he was like well you dont have cancer or anything major so try to relax. i wanted to punch him. if his face looked like mine he wouldnt be talking like that!

Attached Files

Edited by tracy521, 30 October 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#27 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

It's not by any chance called noritate cream is it? That's the stuff I have lol. And your face looks exactly like mine did when I first got it! The cream deffinetely helps with the redness! Do you have lil bumps all over?

#28 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

It's not by any chance called noritate cream is it? That's the stuff I have lol. And your face looks exactly like mine did when I first got it! The cream deffinetely helps with the redness! Do you have lil bumps all over?

the stuff is actually called KETOCONAZOLE 2% wash but the generic name i think is nizoral. did the stuff work for you? its odd the right side of my face is worse than my left. i have a ton around my nose and a decent amount on my forehead though.

#29 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Yeah my left side has always been worse! And I started with a lot on my lower half of my face. It's just weird that we have them on our forehead and cheeks? Cuz perioral is supposed to be around the mouth and rarely around the forehead and cheeks etc.

#30 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Yeah my left side has always been worse! And I started with a lot on my lower half of my face. It's just weird that we have them on our forehead and cheeks? Cuz perioral is supposed to be around the mouth and rarely around the forehead and cheeks etc.

wow that is strange huh? the only thing i can think of is that we used more of the irritating product on one area than the other? i dont know unless one side of our face is more sensitive than the other. hmmm. i am calling my derm now to make an appointment for patch testing. i am not looking forward to it but i want to make sure i know exactly what i am allergic to. i am thinking its probably a few different things.

#31 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Aballarina. so how is your face now? That fungal wash is clearing me up really good but I got some new spots around the mouth area and I am getting nervous it will come back. Is this normal? I don't know if I should go back to my derm or not. They aren't huge or anything but it just worries me. I just want this all to be done and over with. ugh!

#32 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

The way I looked at it is like the journey with accutane. Even as its doing it's job, you still get
A
Couple here an there until the meds are fully kicked in! It happened to me.. Or if I ate spicy food like wings, or the first time I tried a cetaphil wash after I got a couple, so maybe it's something new you tried?? Perioral dermatitis is a bitch, but. Don't have perioral dermatitis left now. But I am also scared That once I stop my meds it might come back if I use the wrong thing! Just make sure you use your cream and antibiotics for a while after its gone! I think I had traces of this for all together.. A month and a half. So deffinetely don't get discouraged! Keep me updated!

#33 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

ok cool i was getting really worried that it might come back. that scares the crap out of me because i cant go through this again. the only thing that i can think of that i did differently was i used a little bit of makeup because i went to a concert and a tiny bit of moisturizer because i have been super dry lately. i think the fungal wash is really drying me out and its hard because i dont know which moisturizer to use these days. i found some samples i had of this la roche posay brand and used it on my forehead for a week with no issues so maybe it was the makeup. i am so glad that your dermattiis is gone. i bet you are so relieved. i started getting this on october 1st and then 3 weeks ago after the hair dye is when it was at its worst but i pray and hope that its gone totally by december or even before christmas would be good!! they gave me clindamycin to use and i have used it on some of the spots but find it doesnt do much. i wonder if i should be using it all over my face though. what do you think?
thank you so much for your kind words and for helping me through this. things are definitley 80% better since the pic I posted but now with time of the month coming up i am getting some acne from that. ugh its always something!
take care!!

#34 Ind1g0

Ind1g0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

I heard folic acid supplements help with Rosacea and Rosacea based acne. Also try drinking apple cider vinegar before each meal. Don't put harsh chemicals on your face, opt for a diluted apple cider vinegar toner on a cotton ball and some aloe vera moisturizer.

#35 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Yeah I use apple cidar (the organic) on my face as a toner. It really helped dry out the dermatitis! Don't worry , it took a while to completely rid myself of it. I did use mineral makeup , but never moisturizers. I do think avoid sls tho in your moisterizures. I never got acne while I had this condition, but I can tell you once it's gone it's GONE!:)

#36 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

thank you both for the info about apple cider vinegar. where do i buy it? it wont make anything worse right? you use it all over your face then? ok good to know i will stay away from the moisturizer completely for now its just so hard because my skin is literally flaking off. ugh!! yeah only i would get acne with dermatitis - blah! i think what is happening is that being on that high dose of steroids and then upping my doxy has made my hormones go crazy around this time around. i know it sounds odd but every single time i start taking a higher dose of antibiotics it messed up my cycle and then makes me break out the first month then after that i am fine. not sure why that is though but i cant wait to get this all done and over with so that i can go back to my normal routine and life. thank you so much again for listening.
i cant remember if i ever asked you but did you ever do patch testing? i think i need to do that to make sure i am not using anything that could be making this stick around longer.

Edited by tracy521, 13 November 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#37 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Nope I never had that, I don't really have many allergies. I bought mine from a health food store cause it has to be organic. With "the mother" it helps dry the little bumps out, really helped me. I still use it cause it is a nice natural toner that makes your skin glow.your using steroids? And I'm still on minocycline for a couple more weeks to make sure the virus doesn't come back.

Ps. Is the dermatitus around your mouth or on your cheeks?

#38 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

you know me either but i figure i better get this all figured out before i try to wash my face with normal cleanser again. its tough because i think it was the salicylic acid in the cleanser i was using but not sure because when i switched to my other cleanser that had no salicylic acid in it i was still getting spots all the time so not sure what was going on there. i have an appt on 11/26 for the patch testing so i will find out later on that week what all i am allergic to. should be interesting. thanks for the info for the apple cider vinegar. i have a whole foods near my work so i can stop there and pick some up. i am not on steroids anymore i was on them for 7 days a few weeks ago i just think the steroids messed up my cycle. my system is very sensitive and if i change anything in my routine it screws up my cycle. i dont know why that is but its very annoying. i am still on the 200mg of doxy and i think my derm plans to keep me on that for a while until this is completely gone.
the dermatits is mostly gone but but i got about 5 spots on the outer parts of my face and some around my upper lip so its a lot better i just want it to be gone -ha!! thanks for all the info.

#39 Itsnoteasybeinggreen

Itsnoteasybeinggreen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi I read your story and it is very similar to mind. Quickly my story I had acne then went on Proactiv cleared my skin perfect for 8 years, then I stopped taking Birth Control Pills, I got a few pimples so I decided to use Extra Strength Proactiv, at first it worked but slowly my face got red then red and flesh colored bumps, finally one morning I woke with a flaming rash. I went to the ER and they gave me steroids and hydrocortisone cream, and told me to use only water on my skin. Within a few days my skin calmed down but the bumps remained so I went to derm. He have my doxy and metro gel. Well the next morning I woke with 100s of bumps and cysts. I went to another derm gave me more steroids, a face wash, more topicals. It was a roller coaster of better to worse. The doctors were just guessing at this point and I ended up on Acutane. But even after the Accutane the red bumps came back. Long story short, I finally discovered I was allergic to Salcilyic Acid. And Extra Strength Proactiv has SA which is what started my problem. And the rash kept coming back bc SA is in a lot of products: make up, shampoo, almost all organic products, anything with mint flavor like tooth paste and mouthwash, foods and you can have a reaction if you eat that same food everyday. Basically when you look on the label if the letters SAL start any ingredient it is a form of Salcilyic Acid.
And once you upset you skin, it takes months to settle if you keep throwing stuff on your skin.
What I did and I'm not saying it will work for you but what I did was washed my effected areas once a day with head and shoulder shampoo for a liitle over and month. I also use small amount of prescription hydrocortisone on really itchy areas, once it calmed down I started washing with just water. But of course for me I have acne and even after taking Acutane I needed something keep the oil down so I went back on regular Proactiv once a day at night.
And now I test products for days on the inside of my arm before I use them on my face. It took me weeks to find a make up that worked for me. And I had to change tooth pastes and can't use mouth wash at all now or I get bumps around my lips.
I don't know if my story really helps you but since your problem sounded so similar I thought I would share.

#40 Aballarina

Aballarina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for your story! Dermatitis can be such a hassle.

You know what I did once my dermattis was gone Tracy? I went to the body shop and bought the tea tree collection. I didn't want to use any harsh chemicals anymore but I found this collection really cleaned my skin! So I deffinetely recommend going there and picking some out, instead of trying all the acne fighting ones. I can't wait to be off the antibiotics! Hopefully we will never experience this again lol