Photo

New To Spiro! Here's My Log

spironolactone cysts acne paleo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#41 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the update Cherrysoda!
It sounds like the spiro is slowly but surely working for you.
My daughter is going on her 5th week and I swear this morning her face is looking better yah!:)
I agree with you that all generic spironolactone is not created equal! I think Walmart (amneal) works better than rite aid (Qualitest).
Good luck and keep us posted!

#42 Julisss

Julisss

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Cherrysoda, are you still on 25mg-s? Then it's great news that you already see improvement :)

Silly question: have you experienced any muscle twitching at all?
I have it going on for a while now and I wonder if it's the Spiro!

#43 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Cherrysoda, are you still on 25mg-s? Then it's great news that you already see improvement Posted Image

Silly question: have you experienced any muscle twitching at all?
I have it going on for a while now and I wonder if it's the Spiro!

Yes, still on 25 mgs.

No, I have never noticed any muscle twitching. Which muscles have you seen a twitch in since starting spiro?

Thanks for the update Cherrysoda!
It sounds like the spiro is slowly but surely working for you.
My daughter is going on her 5th week and I swear this morning her face is looking better yah!Posted Image
I agree with you that all generic spironolactone is not created equal! I think Walmart (amneal) works better than rite aid (Qualitest).
Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh, wow. That is great news for your daughter. Congratulations to her! Posted Image

Looks like I will be purchasing my spiro from WalMart from now on.

Also, the cyst on my chin went away after one night's application of non-whitening toothpaste. However, about 3 more cysts took its place around my mouth and chin area. I'll keep y'all updated in regard to the recent activity of the newest cysts.

Hate that they've appeared, but I think I understand why. The reason doesn't have much to do with spiro, either.

Edited by CherrySoda08, 15 December 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#44 Julisss

Julisss

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

Well I actually stopped Spiro (at least temporarily) to see if the twitching is caused by it - it's random, all over in different muscles.
Can be a side effect of diuretics, though doesn't seem typical.
To be fair, I'll be happier if it turns out it was Spiro then if it remains.
Now I'm taking Saw Palmetto, and hope my skin won't stop improving in the few days while I get another prescription for something... but I haven't much choice, either Accutane or something like Cypoterone acetate. :(

Or I might get back on 25mg and see how I'm doing on that - it's reassurring that you see results with it!

#45 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Well I actually stopped Spiro (at least temporarily) to see if the twitching is caused by it - it's random, all over in different muscles.
Can be a side effect of diuretics, though doesn't seem typical.
To be fair, I'll be happier if it turns out it was Spiro then if it remains.
Now I'm taking Saw Palmetto, and hope my skin won't stop improving in the few days while I get another prescription for something... but I haven't much choice, either Accutane or something like Cypoterone acetate. Posted Image

Or I might get back on 25mg and see how I'm doing on that - it's reassurring that you see results with it!

Glad that you feel reassured. Posted Image Have you talked to your derm at all about the muscle twitching?

That seems like such a random side-effect. I just did a really quick Google search about spiro-related twitching, and nothing tangible really came up. It might be worth your while just to call up the doc and talk about it., even though you're no longer using spiro.

So, the latest on these lovely cysts on my chin is that I think they'll require another 1-2 night's application of non-whitening toothpaste to draw them out. What fun! They're at the whitehead stage now (I know, how appetizing), which is good in one sense. They'll be gone fairly soon. However, I HATE walking around in public with my acne lesions exposed for everyone to see. Even if I have covered them up with mineral concealer. It's still pretty obvious that I've covered up some major honkin' zits.

Ugh. Oh well. Next time, I'll be sure and avoid the types of situations that will cause these yucky blemishes to form.

Oh! Almost forgot. I just came across this "Fitzpatrick Skin Type Test" online, and it's a pretty good one. http://www.mirabella...ty.com/skintest

I'm a Type II. Being of Northern European (mostly Irish) ancestry, I'm not at all surprised to have learned this.

More updates from my Adventures in Spiro-land coming soon.

Edited by CherrySoda08, 03 January 2013 - 02:56 AM.

#46 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Week 8 Update- Hey, guys. Not much to report here, except that last week during the time in my cycle in which I was I was ovulating, I noticed that my face had an unusual amount of puffiness to it. In fact, it looked downright bloated. Not cute. This lasted about a day or so. Other than that, I don't have any unusual side-effects to report about my being on spiro.

Looking forward to reading updates from the others on spiro. Posted Image

Y'all take care.

Edited by CherrySoda08, 20 December 2012 - 03:24 AM.

#47 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Week 8 Update- Hey, guys. Not much to report here, except that last week during the time in my cycle in which I was I was ovulating, I noticed that my face had an unusual amount of puffiness to it. In fact, it looked downright bloated. Not cute. This lasted about a day or so. Other than that, I don't have any unusual side-effects to report about my being on spiro.

Y'all take care.

Probably a good sign. You're supposed to get that "pregnancy glow" when you're ovulating...I guess that signals hey men, I'm fertile!!!...but that glow is basically just a youthful puffiness :)

#48 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Y'all take care.

Probably a good sign. You're supposed to get that "pregnancy glow" when you're ovulating...I guess that signals hey men, I'm fertile!!!...but that glow is basically just a youthful puffiness Posted Image

LOL. I wish that "pregnancy glow" didn't make me look like a rosy-cheeked Miss Piggy. Posted Image

Edited by CherrySoda08, 21 December 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#49 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Y'all take care.

Probably a good sign. You're supposed to get that "pregnancy glow" when you're ovulating...I guess that signals hey men, I'm fertile!!!...but that glow is basically just a youthful puffiness :)

GREEN GABLES- So glad to see you again! Your wisdom and encouragement have been sorely missed.
How are you doing? Skin still "glowing"?Any changes/updates?

#50 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Y'all take care.

Probably a good sign. You're supposed to get that "pregnancy glow" when you're ovulating...I guess that signals hey men, I'm fertile!!!...but that glow is basically just a youthful puffiness Posted Image

GREEN GABLES- So glad to see you again! Your wisdom and encouragement have been sorely missed.
How are you doing? Skin still "glowing"?Any changes/updates?

Decided to pop in over the holiday Posted Image

Skin is still great. Haven't had a zit in months. Still taking 100mg spiro a day.

Only downside is once the acne is gone you notice the little scars and enlarged pores and spider veins a lot more. My skin is taking a loooong time to heal from years of acne. I'm actually looking into laser treatment now to zap that away. Call me impatient, but I've spent enough years of my life with acne, I'm ready to kick those scars to the curb Posted Image

Edited by Green Gables, 22 December 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#51 LilKinger

LilKinger

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

hello,
I've started spiro today, 100mg twice a day. Derm wants me to come back in about 5 weeks to check progression. Should I ask for bloodwork too? I don't really have a primary doctor as I no longer have health insurance. Also is it typical to start high and taper down?

#52 JWaltersRN

JWaltersRN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Usually you start low and titrate up. But my doc started me at 100 and quickly bumped to 200, so might not be out of the ballpark. Just call your doc if you have any crazy side effects or fainting spells.

#53 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

hello,
I've started spiro today, 100mg twice a day. Derm wants me to come back in about 5 weeks to check progression. Should I ask for bloodwork too? I don't really have a primary doctor as I no longer have health insurance. Also is it typical to start high and taper down?

I'm sorry that I can't answer the question as to what is "typical" or not in regard to being on spiro. I have just been on it since October, but hopefully another member will come across your question among the threads and give you an answer that you might find satisfactory.

Personally, I think it's a little atypical that your derm did not send you to a clinic or your general practitioner for bloodwork. If I were you, I might try giving your derm a call to ask why not.

Also, I don't have health insurance, either. I simply went to my county health department and paid around $35.00 for a full metabolic panel after having been on spiro for 2 weeks. Not bad at all. Posted Image

Hope that helps you.

9 Week Update- Sorry that my 9 week update is nearly a week late. It's the holiday season, you know. Anyway, there isn't a lot to report in regard to any new changes in my body. Right now I am still dealing with my skin's reaction to the latest Obagi Blue Peel that I had done the week before Christmas. It's hard to tell which changes have been brought on by the peel, or which changes might have been brought on as a result of spiro.

I'll try to keep y'all on the up and up once my skin has settled down a bit more.

#54 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Week 10 Update- Since the last of my Obagi Blue Peel dissolved a week ago, it's been a little difficult to discern which changes in my skin have been brought about from being on spiro, and which changes have taken place because I've recently had a chemical peel. Right now, I have a few acne lesions along my chin and jawline (white pustules). I'm not sure if they've cropped up because I am on the last couple days of my cycle, because my skin's a little "stressed out" due to the peel, or because my spiro 'script ran out last Friday (today's Wednesday), and my dermatologist's office hasn't been open until today.

A little concerned about these whiteheads, but I don't think that they're the kind that will produce scarring.

Hopefully in a week, things will have improved in these areas on my face. I'll let y'all know. Posted Image

Edited by CherrySoda08, 11 January 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#55 LilKinger

LilKinger

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

hello,

I'm sorry that I can't answer the question as to what is "typical" or not in regard to being on spiro. I have just been on it since October, but hopefully another member will come across your question among the threads and give you an answer that you might find satisfactory.

Personally, I think it's a little atypical that your derm did not send you to a clinic or your general practitioner for bloodwork. If I were you, I might try giving your derm a call to ask why not.

Also, I don't have health insurance, either. I simply went to my county health department and paid around $35.00 for a full metabolic panel after having been on spiro for 2 weeks. Not bad at all. Posted Image

Hope that helps you.

9 Week Update- Sorry that my 9 week update is nearly a week late. It's the holiday season, you know. Anyway, there isn't a lot to report in regard to any new changes in my body. Right now I am still dealing with my skin's reaction to the latest Obagi Blue Peel that I had done the week before Christmas. It's hard to tell which changes have been brought on by the peel, or which changes might have been brought on as a result of spiro.

I'll try to keep y'all on the up and up once my skin has settled down a bit more.

Thanks for the response!
how are you liking being on spiro? I've had such oily/acne prone skin every since puberty it seems, and i will be 30 in May :( My face is so-so, but my back i've always had breakouts. i'm so self-conscious, it's gotten to the point that it's made me cry right front of my boyfriend. the only thing that did help from my previous derm was augmentin twice a day, didn't really help with the oil but my skin looked great. of course it came back after about a month and i also developed cellutis. i had my pharmacist print out a list of all the stuff i was prescribed so i could show it to this new derm. i'm really hoping this is going to be the magic bullet along with tri-sprintec, which i've been on almost a year but not seeing much improvement. i guess when i go back to him in a few weeks i'll mention getting a bloodtest if they do it there.

#56 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

hello,

Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the response!
how are you liking being on spiro? I've had such oily/acne prone skin every since puberty it seems, and i will be 30 in May Posted Image My face is so-so, but my back i've always had breakouts. i'm so self-conscious, it's gotten to the point that it's made me cry right front of my boyfriend. the only thing that did help from my previous derm was augmentin twice a day, didn't really help with the oil but my skin looked great. of course it came back after about a month and i also developed cellutis. i had my pharmacist print out a list of all the stuff i was prescribed so i could show it to this new derm. i'm really hoping this is going to be the magic bullet along with tri-sprintec, which i've been on almost a year but not seeing much improvement. i guess when i go back to him in a few weeks i'll mention getting a bloodtest if they do it there.

I like being on spiro alright. Truthfully, it didn't totally clear my face of acne lesions the way that I wish it had. I still get one or two a month, albeit much less painful and deep than they used to be. I am thinking I might have to increase my dosage to 50 mg in a month or so, because right now my chin and jawline are pretty broken out. I haven't had such a breakout in a long time, but I'm also thinking that the pustules might be present because I had Aquaphor on my face for a week straight after getting an Obagi Blue Peel. I'll probably know for sure in at least a month's time.

I've never heard of tri-sprintec or augmentin before. Do you mind telling me a little bit about them? As in, one sentence or less, so you don't have to take up too much of your day talking about it with me. Posted Image

Acne certainly can take an emotional toll on a person. I've been there myself, and cried a few times to my mom over the acne I've had, and its scarring effects. Please know that you're not alone in your feelings. Things do eventually get better, and sometimes I still have to remind myself of this. It just takes LOTS of patience and quite a bit of time, as I've come to find out.

Edited by CherrySoda08, 03 January 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#57 LilKinger

LilKinger

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

hello,

Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the response!
how are you liking being on spiro? I've had such oily/acne prone skin every since puberty it seems, and i will be 30 in May Posted Image My face is so-so, but my back i've always had breakouts. i'm so self-conscious, it's gotten to the point that it's made me cry right front of my boyfriend. the only thing that did help from my previous derm was augmentin twice a day, didn't really help with the oil but my skin looked great. of course it came back after about a month and i also developed cellutis. i had my pharmacist print out a list of all the stuff i was prescribed so i could show it to this new derm. i'm really hoping this is going to be the magic bullet along with tri-sprintec, which i've been on almost a year but not seeing much improvement. i guess when i go back to him in a few weeks i'll mention getting a bloodtest if they do it there.

I like being on spiro alright. Truthfully, it didn't totally clear my face of acne lesions the way that I wish it had. I still get one or two a month, albeit much less painful and deep than they used to be. I am thinking I might have to increase my dosage to 50 mg in a month or so, because right now my chin and jawline are pretty broken out. I haven't had such a breakout in a long time, but I'm also thinking that the pustules might be present because I had Aquaphor on my face for a week straight after getting an Obagi Blue Peel. I'll probably know for sure in at least a month's time.

I've never heard of tri-sprintec or augmentin before. Do you mind telling me a little bit about them? As in, one sentence or less, so you don't have to take up too much of your day talking about it with me. Posted Image

Acne certainly can take an emotional toll on a person. I've been there myself, and cried a few times to my mom over the acne I've had, and its scarring effects. Please know that you're not alone in your feelings. Things do eventually get better, and sometimes I still have to remind myself of this. It just takes LOTS of patience and quite a bit of time, as I've come to find out.

that stinks about your new breakouts :( i wonder if maybe because you've gotten to the 3 month mark that happened. i've heard it takes about that much time for spiro to take effect, maybe purging? oh tri-sprintec is the generic for orthotrycyclin (BCP), i have to make a yearly appointment with my gyno so i may inquire about getting something with the lowest androgens. augmentin is an antibiotic, i think it really messed with my immune system as i developed a staph infection shortly after i stopped taking it. i never really understood how antibiotics were a good route as far as acne. for me once i stopped them, it just came back again.

hello,

Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the response!

that stinks about your new breakouts Posted Image i wonder if maybe because you've gotten to the 3 month mark that happened. i've heard it takes about that much time for spiro to take effect, maybe purging? oh tri-sprintec is the generic for orthotrycyclin (BCP), i have to make a yearly appointment with my gyno so i may inquire about getting something with the lowest androgens. augmentin is an antibiotic, i think it really messed with my immune system as i developed a staph infection shortly after i stopped taking it. i never really understood how antibiotics were a good route as far as acne. for me once i stopped them, it just came back again.

oh i meant to ask, do you have oily skin too? if so has it helped mattify it at all?

#58 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

hello,

Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the response!

that stinks about your new breakouts Posted Image i wonder if maybe because you've gotten to the 3 month mark that happened. i've heard it takes about that much time for spiro to take effect, maybe purging? oh tri-sprintec is the generic for orthotrycyclin (BCP), i have to make a yearly appointment with my gyno so i may inquire about getting something with the lowest androgens. augmentin is an antibiotic, i think it really messed with my immune system as i developed a staph infection shortly after i stopped taking it. i never really understood how antibiotics were a good route as far as acne. for me once i stopped them, it just came back again.

hello,

Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the response!

oh i meant to ask, do you have oily skin too? if so has it helped mattify it at all?

I did have pretty oily skin, and I think that changing my diet (I cut out gluten and dairy) and taking spiro has helped with that problem. Excess oil is no longer a concern for me.

#59 Julisss

Julisss

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hope I'm also purging... 7 weeks into treatment now and things calmed down for a few days, I almost felt relieved then overnight cystic pimples on forehead & cheeks that were clear so far! Posted Image And I'm also dealing with the leftover of a breakout on my chin, that's been with me for more than 2 months now. I just grew something the size of a bean Posted Image(((((
Ahhhh I am so emotionally exhausted!

Maybe it's my face getting adjusted to 200mg which is quite a big dosage, I think...

Accutane is so tempting right now, but I'll def wait a couple of weeks (will have to anyhow to get an appointment). I wish Spiro gave me a tiny sign that it will kick in.

Cherry, does this peel rid you of clogged pores? I wanted to have a med. peel too but I'm a bit afraid it'll just make my face red. Accutane made it so sensitive. :/

Edited by Julisss, 05 January 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#60 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Hope I'm also purging... 7 weeks into treatment now and things calmed down for a few days, I almost felt relieved then overnight cystic pimples on forehead & cheeks that were clear so far! Posted Image And I'm also dealing with the leftover of a breakout on my chin, that's been with me for more than 2 months now. I just grew something the size of a bean Posted Image(((((
Ahhhh I am so emotionally exhausted!

Maybe it's my face getting adjusted to 200mg which is quite a big dosage, I think...

Accutane is so tempting right now, but I'll def wait a couple of weeks (will have to anyhow to get an appointment). I wish Spiro gave me a tiny sign that it will kick in.

Cherry, does this peel rid you of clogged pores? I wanted to have a med. peel too but I'm a bit afraid it'll just make my face red. Accutane made it so sensitive. :/

You know, I have never heard of anybody purging after being on spiro for several months. Did your doctor advise you about this before you began spiro? I have a really painful couple of cysts at the end of my chin right now, one is also the size of a bean. I thought that maybe I'm breaking out in cysts at this point because my face had been covered in Aquaphor the week before Christmas. But now I'm wondering if my chin and jawline are breaking out in pustules because I'm also purging.

However, I'm only on a 25mg dosage. Because my doses are so low, I was thinking for a few days that I might have to have my doc increase the number of mgs that I'm on.

The Obagi Blue Peel doesn't get rid of clogged pores. The type of chemical peel that I had was meant to treat blemishes, facial lines, scars, uneven pigmentation and acne. You can read a more about my experiences with the Obagi Blue Peel here; http://polkadotsleop...-christmas.html

Edited by CherrySoda08, 05 January 2013 - 10:06 PM.