Photo

Does Sebum Help "moisturize" The Skin?

aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#21 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

I've been wondering this actually. I skimmed through the text but still don't quite understand so I'm just going to ask to answer the question directly. Does Sebum help moisturize the skin?

Not to any significant extent. Another of the famous studies by Kligman which I've talked about is the one where he found that you have to apply about TEN TIMES the normal amount of sebum onto a person's face (and, I might add, the face already produces a great deal of sebum) before there's even a noticeable amount of extra water retention.

The fact that young, prepubertal children aren't exactly famous for having moisture-dry skin, and the fact that you have to apply ENORMOUS amounts of sebum before it has any extra effect on moisture, should answer that question! Posted Image

Wow I actually, till this point had thought that "oil" can be a hydrator and that as long as there is a thin layer of "oil" on my skin, it is hydrated. Learned something new: Water hydrates the skin, not oil. So I have a question though. If water is what hydrates the skin, could I just take like fresh cucumber and squeeze the juice out and apply it onto my skin as a hydrator? Since the juice IS Water based it will act as a hydrator, correct? If not, then what is the key ingredient that I need to look for that actually hydrates the skin? (I'm assuming it's just water, right?) Because I'm actually looking for a moisturizer that just does the sol purpose of just moisturizing (hydrating), not preventing UV, not containing Benzyl Peroxide, but just add moisture to the skin well. Thanks!

EDIT:(I just replaced all the MOISTURIZE words with HYDRATE in the text above) Also my second question: Apparently the word moisturize® means to not hydrate the skin but to LOCK the moisture that is already in the skin from escaping. So technically, oil is acting as a "moisturizer" by locking the water in the skin from escaping thus moisturizing? Maybe people are confused by the word Moisturizing as a practice of adding moisture to the skin rather then seeing it as locking the moisture that is already there?

Edited by TheTruthHurts, 23 October 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#22 ohhhhhhnooooooo

ohhhhhhnooooooo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

To a certain extent, I believe that sebum does help moisturize the skin but if you overproduce sebum, that's when you feel the tight/dry feeling.