89 replies to this topic

#41 Fluffysheep

Fluffysheep

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(cool as kim deal @ Jan 19 2007, 03:00 PM) View Post
(Also, in Purpose, it's technically sodium laurETH sulfate, not SLS, and SLES is much less irritating than SLS.) Interestingly enough SLS is in the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser but not the Normal-to-Oily, which has SLES instead.

Touche to the ETH! Didn't even notice that. And how odd that a seemingly would be "stronger" formula for Oily skin would omit SLS in favor of SLES!? I'll think I'll always be perplexed (read: crazed) by skin science. wacko.gif

#42 grippy

grippy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

I stumbled upon the AHA thing when I randomly started using some Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish cleanser (contains SA and AHA) on my back, just because I'd gotten a bottle for free and didn't want to use it on my face. I've been using Dan's regimen on my face for about 1 year with 95% success (I had moderate and constant acne for 15 years). But I drew the line at the bacne regimen - I just could not be bothered to slather BP all over it, even if only at night. I tried for awhile with a little success, but I am just that lazy/ stubborn - decided I'd rather have mild to moderate back acne than go through the hassle.

Anyway, SA never worked on my back before, but I figured ok I have this Neutrogena stuff, I'll try it there. Weird as it is, it's actually working - maybe the AHA is the key. Now I might try some of the recommended straight-up AHA, BHA, or glycolic products to see if I can step up the improvement a notch.

Point being that maybe a simple wash with the right stuff in the shower could be a good alternative ... anyone else have a similar experience? FYI I had pretty extensive bacne, scarring and all. It's been about 2 months and I've gotten very few new zits - it's mostly all old red marks now which I hope will fade with time.

Just a thought! Good luck all.

#43 brenbotts13

brenbotts13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

use alpha hydrox aha enhanced lotion that is recomended by dan, and i use 10% bp instead of 2.5%. The 10% bp can be found in walmart, its like 99 cents for a small bottle (it last a while). What i do is put the alpha hydrox lotion on and wait for it to dry, then i put the 10% bp on. The next day i dont put the alpha hydrox lotion or bp, i just put moisterizer on. Put the alpha hydroxy lotion on every other day. In about 3 and a half week my bacne was gone.

#44 mr.e

mr.e

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

Noone sells alpha hydrox in stores from what I've seen. What are some good replacement products for this?

#45 dermatologist76

dermatologist76

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(Peock @ Oct 19 2004, 09:42 PM) View Post
I think the problem with this (otherwise, probably great) regimen for backne is that you HAVE to wear all WHITE. This is quite hard for people who are often wearing sports jerseys, uniforms, etc. etc. The BP I put on my face already slightly fades the collar of non-white shirts I wear and I don't even put it on my neck! It must just "run" a little.

I don't understand how people could wear all white shirts (they would really have to be ALL white) for years. And, if you had to throw another shirt on for some reason it isn't like you can wash away the BP - there will still be some left to bleach out whatever color you are wearing.

This is the only reason I haven't tried this regimen for my bacne. The regimen has worked WONDERS on my face (I am pretty much acne free now) but my back is still TERRIBLE.

So, I was wondering if there is another solution that is as potent and strong as the BP that doesn't bleach clothing. This would be perfect.

Any ideas?

A great way to treat this form of acne is with a topical antibiotic called clindamycin phosphate. It is a 1% foam solution (10 mg/mL) and is trademarked under the name of EVOCLIN. This medication DOES require a prescription so ask your dermatologist. I wish you the best of luck!

**Note: Sometimes what is referred to as 'bacne' isn't acne at all, but rather seborrhoeic dermatitis (dandruff) which can affect parts of the body other than the head. In this instance I would recommend you wash the affected area twice daily with a product containing selenium sulfide such as Selsun Blue. In extreme cases of seborrhoeic dermatitis keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. In any event, I recommend you see a dermatologist.

#46 waddle

waddle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

If my skin doesnt dry after the regimen or its not that bad and I can deal with it do I have to moisturize.

I have moisturized in the past and it seems to make me break out more and have oilyer skin.

I am a complete noobie at this so if I am off base or you think what I am saying doesnt make sense or you've never heard of it please tell me. I am just looking for solid answers and have no pride.

#47 4815162342

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(Dan @ Oct 4 2004, 07:29 AM) View Post
http://www.acne.org/backacne.html

Please give it a try and post here how it works.

-Dan

Hey, just 2 questions:

1. Do you ship your products to the UK?

2. Step 2 is 'apply the alpha hydroxy lotion and wait for it to dry' but i noticed on the site where we buy the BP gel etc that the 'alpha hydroxy lotion' isn't included in the products we can buy...does this mean we have to buy it from a chemist or is it part of the cleanser?

Cheers biggrin.gif

#48 4815162342

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

bump

#49 Guest_Jessica A_*

Guest_Jessica A_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:01 PM

After trying lots of products, lots of different lotions, I've finally found something that works for me. It helps not only with the breakouts, but also with the marks too! Here is what I do (I shower only at night):

My skin type:
My skin is combination skin, prone to some oily spots and some normal spots. I don't normally get dry spots unless I've overtreated something. On my back, my oilest spots are from the back of my shoulders down to about mid-shoulder blades, which also happens to be right where my hair stops. From there down it's pretty much normal skin.
My regimen:
Shower as normal, use whatever body wash you prefer. DON'T use it on your back where you intend to treat.
Use Neutrogena Body Clear Body wash on a large loofah mitt after thoroughly soaking the loofah in warm water to loosen it up a bit. Apply about the same amount you would if you were using it in your bare hands. (To soften it up, I didn't use it for the first few days after I bought it - I just wet it with warm water and scrunched and twisted it every which way to break it in so it's not overly harsh.) Now scrub from the top of your body downwards - shoulders and backs of upper arms, to mid-back, lower back. Use on the chest area afterwards if you have breakouts there. Rinse thoroughly, first in warm water, then cooler water.
Dry your body thoroughly, then apply a light dusting of baby powder or your favorite sport powder along the treatment areas and fully down the spine. Treat again with the powder in the morning before getting dressed if you'd like.
Repeat as needed. whistling.gif)
Note: Neutrogena Vanishing lotion can also be used on the body to additionally treat any acne marks.

I've found that the salicylic acid in the body wash, combined with the exfoliating action of the loofah, not only helps get rid of the dead skin cells that contribute to bacne breakouts, but then also helps to fade older acne marks. The powder applied after your shower helps to keep any oil under control and helps keep your clothes from irritating your skin from friction, and also helps keep you cool, too. Works for me... even works for my boyfriend! He admitted to secretly using my powder the other day.

#50 love_pink

love_pink

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:01 AM

My gp prescribed me bp and he told me i could wash it off just a few minutes after application, using it as more of a wash than a cream. I also found when i put it on my back and wore something white, it turned it a yellowish colour.

#51 live

live

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

i now started to use a 5% PB cream to cure my bacne: i apply it at noon and than wear white shirts. in the evening after i practice sport i take a shower. this morning i noticed that my blue towel, wich i use to dry my body has become white-pink in some parts. Can it be that i still have some BP on my body after i take a shower ?
picturetn_DSC00204.JPG attached
Thanks

#52 shooter18910

shooter18910

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

Dan suggests the use of Alpha Hydrox 10% lotion for bacne, however I didnt see any in the store.

I did see: AmLactin 12% Moisturizing Cream, which says is it an alpha hydroxy. Will this be similar to the Alpha Hydrox and should I use it?

Thanks

#53 Ivan20

Ivan20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hi guys, I am 19yr old male, and i have acne on my back, and shoulders, and sometimes chest, since I'm new to this stuff and my skin is Oily, what would u recommend to use. Plz, i need some replies fast. Thanks

#54 Scar_Tissue

Scar_Tissue

Now if you let me, you won't regret me

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:no longer hiding face.playing drums.music.friends.outside.sports LOVE RUGBY
    visit my blog!

Achievements

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

will it be ok to use 10% bp on the back? i have so many scars and marks and zits on my back ever since like 3 years its horrible.

#55 danielguru

danielguru

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

Certain clothing fabric can cause problems, as well.. try to exfoliate on the regular basis with granulated sugar then finish up with benzyl peroxide (a stronger version, maybe 10%)

#56 ted2

ted2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

New here.

I've been at this for too many years and I just found a couple of great things I dont hear anyone talking about that have worked for me.

Shampoo- Do not ever use any of the fancy shampoos or conditioners. They will all clog your pores. Your hair is the closest thing to your face and back. Keep it simple and clean. NO CONDITIONERS. I use Johnsons Baby Shampoo or the CVS generic. It has almost nothing in it but simple shampoo. My hair gets a bit dry but my skin is clear. I'll take that trade.

Rinse thoroughly after shampooing.

Change the pillow cases on your bed at least twice a week. Your hair and scalp leave oil and dirt on your pillow which goes to your face at night.

Cleocin-T prescription lotion is great.

#57 drl1989

drl1989

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

Just want to put this out there,

I've been using calamine lotion for about a week and a half now on my chest and upper arms, and the results are quite astounding. I read that calamine lotion works wonders on the face so I thought to myself, maybe it'll work wonders on my chest and upper arms? I've got moderate acne on my chest, upper arms and back and have started applying the lotion to my chest and upper arms for now. I can safely say there's 70% less pimples and redness. New pimple formations have all but gone and my skin feels like it's not felt in 5+ years. I think its preventing oil build up.

It'd be great to see how other people get on with calamine lotion, I really do recommend it.

#58 padresfan

padresfan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (ted2 @ Aug 23 2008, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New here.

I've been at this for too many years and I just found a couple of great things I dont hear anyone talking about that have worked for me.

Shampoo- Do not ever use any of the fancy shampoos or conditioners. They will all clog your pores. Your hair is the closest thing to your face and back. Keep it simple and clean. NO CONDITIONERS. I use Johnsons Baby Shampoo or the CVS generic. It has almost nothing in it but simple shampoo. My hair gets a bit dry but my skin is clear. I'll take that trade.

Rinse thoroughly after shampooing.

Change the pillow cases on your bed at least twice a week. Your hair and scalp leave oil and dirt on your pillow which goes to your face at night.

Cleocin-T prescription lotion is great.

If you want/need to use conditioner on your hair you can wash your back afterwards.

Also, if you're just spot treating you can apply the treatment and then put a bandaid over it so that your clothes won't get stained. That's what I do, well I have my mom help me out since I can't reach some of the spots.

I agree with changing the pillow cases. I change mine every other day; I use one side one night, and then flip it over and use the other side the next night.

#59 Della Bella

Della Bella

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Chocolate_charley @ Jan 16 2005, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Peock @ Oct 20 2004, 02:42 AM)
I think the problem with this (otherwise, probably great) regimen for backne is that you HAVE to wear all WHITE. This is quite hard for people who are often wearing sports jerseys, uniforms, etc. etc. The BP I put on my face already slightly fades the collar of non-white shirts I wear and I don't even put it on my neck! It must just "run" a little.

I don't understand how people could wear all white shirts (they would really have to be ALL white) for years. And, if you had to throw another shirt on for some reason it isn't like you can wash away the BP - there will still be some left to bleach out whatever color you are wearing.

This is the only reason I haven't tried this regimen for my bacne. The regimen has worked WONDERS on my face (I am pretty much acne free now) but my back is still TERRIBLE.

So, I was wondering if there is another solution that is as potent and strong as the BP that doesn't bleach clothing. This would be perfect.

Any ideas?

Heyaaa! I have acne on my back shoulders chest and upper arms. Also i have a few spots down my back. I was thinking of starrting the regimen. But now reading this I am very worried about bleaching my clothes as I can't wear white to work, because I have a uniform. So I was thinking what if I did the regimen at night (before I go to bed) or when i get home from work would it still bleach my clothes even though i'm wearing them 11hours after applying bp. Please reply someone whistling.gif) preferbaly to my email because i always forget what message board to go in hehe.

Thanks so much!

Charley
xXx

Hey Charlie,
On your upper arms? Sounds like you may have Keratosis Polaris. It's caused by clogged folicles and is usually found in atopic individuals. You may also find it on the upper thighs.

Regular exfoliation amd something called AmLactin (a lactic based lotion avaible at the drug store pharmacy) will help.

#60 Della Bella

Della Bella

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Nintendo @ Jul 2 2005, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, what is the difference between salicylic acid and AHA acid? i read that salicylic reduces redness more compared to AHA? i hope someone can help out. toodles

Salicylic acid is a BHA and actually works on live tissue. It is derived from asprin so if any one a true allergy to asprin (will send you to the hostital or cause you to break out in hives) should not use it.

Glycolic is an AHA and does not go as deep. Lactic acid is another AHA.

All are used in the chemical exfoliation of the skin,making the skin smoother:)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users