Photo

I Just Want To Live - Starting Accutane

aha alpha hydroxy acid depression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#41 Member1

Member1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

READ all of that post and really understand you. I think of my acne every second of the day, it's really unfair how it's taking over my life. I constantley Google treatments and ways of trying to fix it, but it's just awful how something like a spot can affect you. Like you said, there is worse people off but to us as a person, our acne is the worst thing and that's not unfair to think like that because there is people who are beter than us so it has two points of views. I'm sure you will get control of your acne, keep in there! I'm hoping mine will go as well, mine didn't used to be as bad then a few months back my whole face got ruined with it, it's awful and i feel and understand for everyone who has acne.

#42 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Be Still

Edited by SanLosAng, 23 April 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#43 chloelauraa

chloelauraa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Try not to worry too much about your hair, it's probably just because it's a bit dry or something?

#44 tommyc38

tommyc38

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hey man, I'm in the same boat you are. We both pretty much started the same day. I know how hard it is to think this medication isn't going to work. My moods are up and down and all completely related to my skin. I am hoping month two goes better than my first month. One thing I know for sure is that it takes time to work. Keep in mind you aren't alone in this battle and there is someone else out there who is going through the exact same thing as you.

#45 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Be Still

#46 teresa*

teresa*

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hey! We all understand! Its hard to find people that understand or that you even want to discuss it with, thats whats so useful with this website. I know it feels like its never going to change, but just think, in 5months time you will feel so much happier and no doubt you'll feel it was a struggle but was worth it! You have to be so patient with this medication its annoying! But it will work for you im sure of it! Just in time for summer as well :) But carry on letting out your thoughts on here, you shouldn't keep it bottled up!! and im happy to read it, as most of what your feeling I (and everyone else no doubt) has felt too. Bloody acne!!

Accutane started 24/10/2012

Month 1: 40mg

Month 2: 40mg

Month 3: 40mg

Month 4: 40mg

Month 4: 40mg

Month 6: 40mg

#47 jamie o

jamie o

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

Hey mate in regards to the scarring that could easily disappear to what it was pre-Accutane. This medication thins your skin out, so scarring becomes more visible than it was prior to or post Accutane. I've read some logs where people's scarring have completely healed post Accutane. So hopefully you can find some comfort in that. The redness will also start disappearing either later in your course, mine's sort of done this, or after it.

I hope the date went really well for you.

Edited by jamie o, 02 December 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#48 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Be Still

#49 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Be Still

#50 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Be Still

#51 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Be Still

Edited by SanLosAng, 23 April 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#52 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

I know how you feel. We started around the same time 10/15 and i am now in the beginning of my 3rd month and in the middle of my IB. It sucks. But it does get better. A lot of people start to see noticeable and CONSISTENT improvement by the end of month 3 and the end of month. It seems to happen suddenly too.

Keep positive and keep documenting your progress with your log and pictures. It will help you recognize progress in the coming months

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#53 tommyc38

tommyc38

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

It always gets worse before it gets better. You may ask your derm to bump up your medication...it will help move things along quicker. Don't get too discouraged, you aren't immune to the meds. They just take time which sucks. I feel pretty lucky that I have pretty much been pimple free for this past month. I started on 11/1. I am taking 80mg per day and will be going up to 100/mg a day in a week or so for the next four months. May seem like a ton but I also weigh 200lbs and am 6'2". Hang in there dude...you are only a few months max away from seeing frantic improvements.

#54 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Be Still

Edited by SanLosAng, 23 April 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#55 Sound of Hope

Sound of Hope

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Update:

Well I failed, I know I said I won't post here until week 10 but I just can't.
I feel terrible... I didn't improve at all... my skin just looks horrible, I've got this giant bump on my cheek that won't come off I can actually draw another face on it and have two faces. I didn't have a real smile for like 3 months now (don't tell anyone, they see me smiling all day long). I'm getting so low watching the whole world happening and moving forward and I'm just stagnating waiting for the pill to do its fucking job. I feel like I'm dying, I really do, I feel like I'm getting weaker and weaker and the hope is becoming more and more distant. I can't even leave the house now... there's a birthday party like 50 meters from my doorstep but I just can't leave my home. What did I do at new years eve? well, how surprising, I was home wishing for something good to happen. I don't have any self confidence or esteem right now... "when you get knocked" is now.

I have a derm appointment next week on which I'm gonna ask for higher dosage... I'll probably get 40mg (if I'm lucky) for the rest of my course (3 or 4 months).
I really don't know if this will work for me... I can't look straight at people's faces...

Side-Effects:
Who the fuck cares.

-- END OF DAY 68 --

Hang in there. It's way too soon to give up on this drug. If I were you, I'd be as honest as possible about how the acne is making me feel and bring up the topic of increasing the dosage. If your bloodwork shows that you're tolerating the 30mg per day, the dermatologist might work with you.

#56 gointhedistance

gointhedistance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Hey man I've lurked on your topic before. Actually your thread was one of the last ones I read before decided going on accutane. You have to be realistic about all of this. The drug is going to work. Everyone gets clear for sometime afterwards. It may not last but you will be clear and might need to go on a 2nd or heaven forbid 3rd course.

Having acne sucks, it has affected me for so long I don't remember what it looks like to be clear. I look at old pictures sometimes, just like you, and remember what it once was like to be clear even if it was a short period.

One thing you need to realize is that people aren't looking at your acne spots like you are. All we do is focus on pimples and don't focus on our lives. Yes, having acne sucks and it really effects your life but it only effects your life as much as you let it. People don't want to be around pathetic people always down on themselves. They want to be around confident people. I've broken down from time to time in my life over having acne. I've come to the conclusion that if people were to truly decide not to hangout with me or want to date me because of my acne then they probably aren't worth my time. People respect and are more attracted to confidence more then anything. Having a positive outlook and impacting people's day in small ways are steps you can take.

Rest assured my friend the accutane will do it's job. The video's I've seen of much more serious acne then ours is proof of that. You need to start living your life, that's your job.

#57 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

SanLosAng, keep your head up. Trust me, change will happen, just a matter of when

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#58 bambi001

bambi001

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

I had to register and post a comment. First of of all, love how you are sharing this personal and yet vulnerable experience with us, you are a WARRIOR!!! As for myself, I struggled with moderate severe acne since I was 13, yet became clear during the age of 16-21. I gained confidence and started modeling. Acne came back during the age of 22-28 where topicals and orals did'nt help me stay clear. Guys are such visual beings, so with makeup most men were too intimidated to approach me and without it, they did'nt approach me at all due to my visible acne/lesions and dark spots/hyperpimentation/dyscromia. So my confidence level went downhill yet i was still able to maintain my nice bubbly friendly personality and yes, I still stuggle with giving people eye contact without makeup.

I'm starting accutane next month so i will be in the same boat as you. As far as people being cruel, yes I experienced it many, many, many times. Once i was at a gas station and a random guy looked at me and said "You sure is Ugly" but to tell you the truth i alreadly knew how pretty my facial features was so his words only hurt me and made me feel sad for a second. Yes you will be frustrated, Yes there are shallow, vague, insensitive and mean people out there, Yes the majority of people will treat you better when you are thin and good looking.

Anyways, what I am trying to say is hang in there, two months is too early to feel defeated. My brother-in-law who took accuntane 7 years ago and never relapsed, told me he started to see results by the end of the third month so you still have time. The first 1.5-2 months is the "break out period" by the end of the third month you should really start to see a concrete definite change.

As for your hair, juggle between washing it with a very moisturizing shampoo or just a clarifying conditioner. Yes conditioner, massage your scalp(as if it was shampoo) then rinse it out. Heard that Dr.dans(can get it online or from the pharmacy if you ask them to order it) and aquaphor works really good on the lips. Any lotion that supports "eczema skin" will be your best friend during your "clear skin journey" and eliminate those dry patches on your hands and shoulders. I also heard that neosporin with pain reliever can be added to your skin at nights where you feel it's unbearable. Drink 2-3 liters of water a day(it will allow the medicine to reach the bloodstream faster) maintain a high fiber diet (avoid the ones that turn into vitamin A) to avoid any complications, do light excercise that your body can handle and last but not least stay stong and be warrior!!! Posted Image You will be clear and it will get better!! Posted Image that doctor betta up your dosage!!!

Edited by sexybrownpyt, 10 January 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#59 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Hey man, I just wanted to throw my support in here too. You write what I feel but keep inside. I'm trying to seem ok for the sake of my family and sanity but I just want to break down. And yet I can't, it's like I'm numb, I just keep saying "get used to it, this is your face now." I have nightmares about it, it's invading me. My mom says I am going through the stages of grief because of trauma, but since my trauma is ongoing it makes it harder. You have to keep on, see the light t the end of the tunnel even if its hard to see. In my opinion you are a handsome man, men are lucky that scars etc are acceptable, I have a scar in the shape of a hook on my face... I will never feel pretty again.

#60 Miss Soloist

Miss Soloist

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Hey man, I just wanted to throw my support in here too. You write what I feel but keep inside. I'm trying to seem ok for the sake of my family and sanity but I just want to break down. And yet I can't, it's like I'm numb, I just keep saying "get used to it, this is your face now." I have nightmares about it, it's invading me. My mom says I am going through the stages of grief because of trauma, but since my trauma is ongoing it makes it harder. You have to keep on, see the light t the end of the tunnel even if its hard to see. In my opinion you are a handsome man, men are lucky that scars etc are acceptable, I have a scar in the shape of a hook on my face... I will never feel pretty again.

You just described exactely how I feel.
Agreed - you are a handsome man regardless of your acne.

Finished Roaccutane!